Author Topic: Has the Dunning-Kruger effect been disproved?  (Read 1954 times)

SteveH

• God? She's black.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Walt Zingmatilder

Re: Has the Dunning-Kruger effect been disproved?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 09:31:00 AM »
Brilliant
The Dunning Kruger effect isn't about intellectual inferiority, Isn't about us and them and is indistinguishable from white noise....

..........Has anybody broken the news to Bluehillside yet?

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 12:45:37 PM »
https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/critical-thinking/dunning-kruger-effect-probably-not-real?fbclid=IwAR2j5B0oXDfMZL-ats81ytHvwsKeyq0Q5Cf5bESiuukC3hXdB1EiPgiQ5cg

Actually, the example given in the article has convinced me that the effect is real.

The randomly generated data can be explained by the fact that, for low scores there is more space to put your estimate in above the line than below the line and for high scores the reverse is true. The cross over point is at exactly 50% as you would expect if the algorithm were exactly symmetrical.

For the data used by Dunning and Kruger, the cross over point is somewhere around 70%. There must be a systematic bias somewhere.

This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 04:05:43 PM »
If you are charged with demonstrating the Dunning Kruger effect you can simply declare the area of expertise you are incompetent in null void and improper as Dawkins and his erstwhile Munchkin PZ Myers did back in the day.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 05:40:58 PM »
If you are charged with demonstrating the Dunning Kruger effect you can simply declare the area of expertise you are incompetent in null void and improper as Dawkins and his erstwhile Munchkin PZ Myers did back in the day.

I assume you are talking about the courtier's reply there. What has that got to do with D-K?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Outrider

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2022, 08:02:21 AM »

If everyone else in the world is a Professor Dawkins' patented anti-theist fan-boy, why is it that you are the one that keeps bringing him up?

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2022, 05:47:45 PM »
If everyone else in the world is a Professor Dawkins' patented anti-theist fan-boy, why is it that you are the one that keeps bringing him up?

O.
I think Susan Doris brought Dawkins up in connection, with MY poster boy Rowan Williams.

Outrider

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2022, 08:42:58 AM »
I think Susan Doris brought Dawkins up in connection, with MY poster boy Rowan Williams.

Not seeing either of those names in the thread...?

O.

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2022, 10:21:20 AM »

O.
Remember, "reds under beds"?
Vlad has a similar paranoia, "professors in posts"!
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2022, 11:26:11 AM »

O.
Twas on another thread that you started.

I've listened to the article. I've always thought Rowan Williams rather wishy-washy especially since I heard him trying but not succeeding to wriggle out of a direct question from Richard Dawkins.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 11:31:54 AM by Walt Zingmatilder »

Outrider

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2022, 11:33:22 AM »
Twas on another thread that you started.

So my point still stands then, it seems YOU feel the need to bring Professor Dawkins into discussions, it seems like it's your fixation, regardless of whatever you have to say about other antitheistTM Dawkins-fanboysTM.

O.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2022, 11:33:58 AM »
Remember, "reds under beds"?
Vlad has a similar paranoia, "professors in posts"!
step we gaily on we go, Outrider and wee Seb Toe.........

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2022, 11:38:28 AM »
So my point still stands then, it seems YOU feel the need to bring Professor Dawkins into discussions, it seems like it's your fixation, regardless of whatever you have to say about other antitheistTM Dawkins-fanboysTM.

O.
Are you suggesting as the late Donna Summer might have put it ''OOOOOOOOOOOOOO I feel Dawk, I feel Dawk, I feel Dawk, I feel Dawk OOOOOOOOOOOOO I feel Dawk, I feel Dawk I feel Dawk I feel Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawk, I feeeel Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawk, I ffffffffeeel Dawk''?

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2022, 12:08:43 PM »
Are you suggesting as the late Donna Summer might have put it ''OOOOOOOOOOOOOO I feel Dawk, I feel Dawk, I feel Dawk, I feel Dawk OOOOOOOOOOOOO I feel Dawk, I feel Dawk I feel Dawk I feel Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawk, I feeeel Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawk, I ffffffffeeel Dawk''?

Partial as I am to a bit of boogieing to Donna I have to ask, are you feeling quite well?
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2022, 03:29:14 PM »
I think it's worth pointing out that "Dunning-Kruger" has taken on a colloquial meaning that's not the same as the specific effect talked about in the OP. The colloquial meaning is: people talking nonsense but being too ignorant of the subject to realise they are talking nonsense. I can name numerous examples that I have come across in the area in which I am fairly knowledgeable i.e. computing and in other areas where I have a keen amateur interest. Pretty much every Young Earth Creationist falls into the trap when talking bout evolution, for example.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2022, 11:29:26 AM »
Some people who think they are brilliant wits exhibit the DK effect, if it exists, whenever they try to be witty.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".