Author Topic: Rowan Williams desperate false equivalency  (Read 971 times)

Outrider

Rowan Williams desperate false equivalency
« on: January 07, 2022, 02:32:48 PM »
Rowan Williams in the Guardian today, desperately trying to give religion some relevance by seeking to paperclip it to science's coat-tails. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jan/07/world-fragile-recover-science-art-religion-rowan-williams

"Belittling the imaginative inspiration of authentic science is as fatuous as the view that sees the arts as just a pleasant extra in human life, or religion as an outdated kind of scientific explanation."

Except that religion is an attempt to explain why things are as they are, it's an outdated attempt to do what science does immeasurably better.

"What religion adds to this is a further level of motivation. The very diverse vocabularies of different religious traditions claim not only that the Other is someone we can recognise but that they are someone we must look at with something like reverence."

Given religion's vast and well-documented history at 'othering' - from the inherent misogyny of most formal religions, through the overt anti-semitism of significant elements of Christianity and Islam, the anti-Islamic rhetoric of Hindu nationalism, and the despicable homophobia of Christianity, religion's history is anything but an attempt to reconcile disparate groups.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

SusanDoris

Re: Rowan Williams desperate false equivalency
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 05:02:40 PM »
I've listened to the article. I've always thought Rowan Williams rather wishy-washy especially since I heard him trying but not succeeding to wriggle out of a direct question from Richard Dawkins.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 07:58:55 PM »
Rowan Williams in the Guardian today, desperately trying to give religion some relevance by seeking to paperclip it to science's coat-tails. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jan/07/world-fragile-recover-science-art-religion-rowan-williams

"Belittling the imaginative inspiration of authentic science is as fatuous as the view that sees the arts as just a pleasant extra in human life, or religion as an outdated kind of scientific explanation."

Except that religion is an attempt to explain why things are as they are, it's an outdated attempt to do what science does immeasurably better.

"What religion adds to this is a further level of motivation. The very diverse vocabularies of different religious traditions claim not only that the Other is someone we can recognise but that they are someone we must look at with something like reverence."

Given religion's vast and well-documented history at 'othering' - from the inherent misogyny of most formal religions, through the overt anti-semitism of significant elements of Christianity and Islam, the anti-Islamic rhetoric of Hindu nationalism, and the despicable homophobia of Christianity, religion's history is anything but an attempt to reconcile disparate groups.

O.
These are world religions and have therefore by definition unified people rather than anything else and they represent the earliest successes of lifting people out of warring tribehood.

Attempts at ATHEIST "Internationals" have been short lived and of course Nationalism has just constituted a return to tribalism.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 08:05:47 PM »
These are world religions and have therefore by definition unified people rather than anything else and they represent the earliest successes of lifting people out of warring tribehood.

Of course, there never have been, there are no current and there never will be warring "religionhood"?
 ::)
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 08:22:03 PM »
Of course, there never have been, there are no current and there never will be warring "religionhood"?
 ::)
of course we are all sinners and we always inherit ancestral problems it seems.

But on balance I see no more successful vehicle, historically than world religions.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 10:53:52 AM »
of course we are all sinners and we always inherit ancestral problems it seems.

But on balance I see no more successful vehicle, historically than world religions.
They are all tribes IMO.
 Some bigger and more organised than others but tribes nevertheless.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 11:00:10 AM »

Successful at what?
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.