Author Topic: Should he stay or should he go?  (Read 23808 times)

The Accountant, OBE, KC

Re: Should he stay or should he go?
« Reply #550 on: July 23, 2022, 11:48:38 AM »

Also on VG's claims that if you don't drink/smoke etc you'll be able to afford these fees - what complete non-sense. Let's do the maths, how many pints of beer would you have to drink a year to afford the £45,936 Winchester fees - let's assume £4 a pint - that would be 11,484 pints a year or 31 pints a day. If you were drinking at that level, you'd be dead. And that's just Rishi - he has two other siblings too.
I suggest you stop misrepresenting me PD. I did not claim this. But hey, you know you have already lost the argument when you have to resort to lying.

Fundamentally to be able to decide what to spend £45,936 of your disposal take home pay on either school fees or other non-essential stuff (alcohol, smoking, make-up etc) you have to have £45,936 worth of disposable income in your take home pay. Most people don't. Indeed the average salary in the UK is £25k, which equates to about £21k after tax. So for two average earners that would be £42k total take home income - sure they can afford £45,936 a year (for just one kid) by cutting down on the booze and fags :o
Why are you looking at today's fees? As Udayana and I pointed out via a link, private school fees have risen by 550 per cent, far out-stripping wage growth. Consumer prices in that time are up only 200 per cent. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/the-charts-that-shows-how-private-school-fees-have-exploded-a7023056.html

Bottom line - Rishi's claim of humble beginnings is laughable - a guy whose family were moving from a 4-bed house to a 6-bed house (not much evidence of reining in the expenditure there) just at the point when he was being sent to private prep-school and then on to being a boarder at one of the most elitist and expensive private schools in the country. His background is achingly privileged and no amount of carefully curated and selective narrative about his grandparents (note he only really mentions one) changes this.
Where is this claim by Sunak of humble beginnings? You never actually linked to it.

Oh and by the way the suggestion that his mother owned the pharmacy business during his school days is a compete red herring - a quick check reveals that she only started the pharmacy as a company in 2003, and Ashcroft's biography of Sunak suggests that through the 90s Sunak's mother was largely working only part-time as a locus pharmacist, so largely the eye-watering fees (presumably not just for Rishi would have had to come from his father's NHS income as a GP (through the 1980s and 1990s average salary adjusted to today's money was approx. £60-70k or about £30-35k take home).
You do know that you can own a business without having to open a company right? We'll know the income and expenses of Sunak's parents during the 1990s when we see some evidence - tax returns, bank statements, evidence of who paid the school fees and the source of those payments etc
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 11:48:10 PM by Violent Gabriella »
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #552 on: July 27, 2022, 01:08:13 PM »
Oh ffs!

https://www.republicworld.com/world-news/uk-news/boris-johnson-tipped-to-become-next-secretary-general-of-nato-by-conservative-party-articleshow.html
I suspect other NATO members will take a different view, and given that I gather the appointment requires unanimous approval from all members I suspect the likelihood of Johnson getting such approval is close to zero.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Roses

« Reply #554 on: July 27, 2022, 01:47:43 PM »
It would be absolutely bonkers for that man to be the Secretary General of NATO unless they desire to have the organisation completely screwed up! :o >:(
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."