Author Topic: Should he stay or should he go?  (Read 23978 times)

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
Re: Should he stay or should he go?
« Reply #350 on: May 24, 2022, 10:43:46 AM »
IF.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #351 on: May 26, 2022, 04:04:43 PM »
IF.

Reposted as text

If (Downing Street Party Remix)

If you can keep your job when all around you
Lies ravaged from what it is you've done;
If intellect and common sense confound you
And if integrity you have but none;
If vou can lie and not be tired by lying,
And pretend you act for the public good,
But then leave the people to their dying
And say you did, sadly, all you could:

If vou can dream - of nothing more than power;
If you can think - but only of yourself;
If you believe this country's finest hour
Is when the chosen few can gain more wealth;
If you can flout the law with bluff and bluster
And not care whether you are believed,
Or deny with scorn every single blunder
And not care how many you may deceive:

If you can stir up hatred, fear and violence
To create division to suit your ends;
And answer cries for help with silence,
And then laugh about it with your friends:
If you can stretch this country to its limit
Or until it is you've had your fun,
Yours is this land and everything that's in it,
And - as you wished - you'll be PM, my son.

-- Brian Bilston

https://www.facebook.com/BrianBilston
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

SusanDoris

« Reply #352 on: May 26, 2022, 04:25:48 PM »
JeremyP

Thank you for printing out the verse. Very clever of course and an interesting read for all those who think he is just going to do what all the phone-in complainers say they want, I think they are wrong!
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #353 on: May 27, 2022, 07:06:39 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61607739

Ah ...  let's just water down the standards required ?

Under the new rules, possible sanctions for breaching the code could include a "public apology, remedial action, or removal of ministerial salary for a period".

In a statement, the government says it would be "disproportionate" for a minister to lose their job for "any breach" of the ministerial code.

Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #354 on: May 29, 2022, 06:28:00 PM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #355 on: June 02, 2022, 09:09:57 AM »

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #356 on: June 02, 2022, 12:07:17 PM »

Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #357 on: June 04, 2022, 09:15:12 AM »
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #358 on: June 04, 2022, 09:19:41 AM »
Tories 2021: "There was no booze"
Tories 2022: "There were no boos"

Aruntraveller

• Administrator

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #360 on: June 06, 2022, 09:03:35 AM »
Does anyone else recall an incident when there was much concern about homeless people sleeping in shop doorways and the like?

A tv reporter approached Alexander Johnson, showed him an image on his mobile phone of a particular case and asked him what was being done. Johnson snatched the phone out of the reporter's hand, put it into his own pocket and told the reporter to bugger off.

If the reporter had then gone to the police and reported a theft, presenting a video of the incident as evidence, we might not be in the position which currently presents itself. Johnson would have been found guilty.

And that would have been that. Johnson would have retired and gone back to his favourite pastime ... producing specimens of homo sapiens 50% of whose genetic material was provided by him.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #361 on: June 06, 2022, 09:03:50 AM »
I think he'll be glad this is happening before the Wakefield by election but it does create the scenario where he survives, and Wakefield is catastophically bad, and that isvtyen seen as down to his survival.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #362 on: June 06, 2022, 09:09:16 AM »
Does anyone else recall an incident when there was much concern about homeless people sleeping in shop doorways and the like?

A tv reporter approached Alexander Johnson, showed him an image on his mobile phone of a particular case and asked him what was being done. Johnson snatched the phone out of the reporter's hand, put it into his own pocket and told the reporter to bugger off.

If the reporter had then gone to the police and reported a theft, presenting a video of the incident as evidence, we might not be in the position which currently presents itself. Johnson would have been found guilty.

And that would have been that. Johnson would have retired and gone back to his favourite pastime ... producing specimens of homo sapiens 50% of whose genetic material was provided by him.
He gave it back during the interview so I doubt there was any chance of a prosecution. Doesn't mean that the incident does not show him as an unpleasant thug.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/boris-johnson-snatches-reporters-phone-after-refusing-to-look-at-child-asleep-on-hospital-floor-170242/
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 09:16:04 AM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #363 on: June 06, 2022, 09:51:41 AM »
If I were one of those thinking I had a chance at taking over from him, I would be persuading all my allies to vote for him.

You don't want to take over when inflation and interest rates are climbing. You don't want to be the leader that picks up after Wakefield.

You want the vote out of the way for this year. You expect that there will be one next year, when it will be less than 18 months till the GE. You want him damaged but there for that next year as a sineater for the electorate.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #364 on: June 06, 2022, 10:16:36 AM »
If I were one of those thinking I had a chance at taking over from him, I would be persuading all my allies to vote for him.

You don't want to take over when inflation and interest rates are climbing. You don't want to be the leader that picks up after Wakefield.

You want the vote out of the way for this year. You expect that there will be one next year, when it will be less than 18 months till the GE. You want him damaged but there for that next year as a sineater for the electorate.

A fair assessment of what Tory politicians are currently thinking. If thinking is a concept that you can credit them with.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #365 on: June 06, 2022, 02:31:16 PM »
Not that you needed any proof of what a lying, duplicitous, pompous arrogant shit Rees Mogg is, but this is worth remembering:

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/rees-mogg-says-pm-stays-even-if-he-wins-by-one-vote-but-previous-comments-come-back-to-haunt-him-325299/?

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #366 on: June 06, 2022, 04:07:53 PM »
Have to laugh at the messages from a variety of Tory cabinet-fuckwits, such as Gove, all asserting that Boris the Liar got the "big calls" right: they are clearly at it, else they are delusional: they seem to be forgetting the chaos of Brexit and the form of Brexit he advanced, hence the problems in NI right now.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #367 on: June 06, 2022, 05:04:54 PM »
Have to laugh at the messages from a variety of Tory cabinet-fuckwits, such as Gove, all asserting that Boris the Liar got the "big calls" right: they are clearly at it, else they are delusional: they seem to be forgetting the chaos of Brexit and the form of Brexit he advanced, hence the problems in NI right now.
He knows his Wodehouse, so he can't be all bad.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #369 on: June 06, 2022, 09:04:11 PM »
211 - 148 ooft!

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #370 on: June 06, 2022, 09:17:12 PM »
211 - 148 ooft!

#
210 MPs plus one lying hypocrite vote for one lying hypocrite.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #371 on: June 06, 2022, 09:33:31 PM »

#
210 MPs plus one lying hypocrite vote for one lying hypocrite.
  Oh I think there was more than one of those voting, just only one being voted for.

SusanDoris

« Reply #372 on: June 07, 2022, 06:33:43 AM »
And yet, and yet ... ... there is still no -one stepping forward to try to be the next PM.

The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #373 on: June 07, 2022, 06:38:19 AM »
And yet, and yet ... ... there is still no -one stepping forward to try to be the next PM.
Tactics. Announcing that you want to be PM before there's a vacancy pretty much guarantees that you won't be. They're all waiting ntil he finally goes.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #374 on: June 07, 2022, 07:19:35 AM »
In some ways an excellent result - over the next few months the Tory party will, hopefully, continue to implode to the extent of making themselves unelectable.

I do hope that some rumours in circulation, albeit already denied, turn out to be true: that Johnson might call a snap GE rather than wait for his party to dispose of him, in the hope that the electorate in some parts of the UK will save his skin - at the very least it would be a chance to get the Tories out of Scotland, and hopefully enough of the electorate elsewhere in the UK would turn against them too.

Might be worth buying in some extra popcorn!