Author Topic: Should he stay or should he go?  (Read 23927 times)

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
Re: Should he stay or should he go?
« Reply #375 on: June 07, 2022, 08:17:23 AM »
In some ways an excellent result - over the next few months the Tory party will, hopefully, continue to implode to the extent of making themselves unelectable.

I do hope that some rumours in circulation, albeit already denied, turn out to be true: that Johnson might call a snap GE rather than wait for his party to dispose of him, in the hope that the electorate in some parts of the UK will save his skin - at the very least it would be a chance to get the Tories out of Scotland, and hopefully enough of the electorate elsewhere in the UK would turn against them too.

Might be worth buying in some extra popcorn!

Anything which removes that upooper crust Jack from any levers of power is fine by me.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #376 on: June 07, 2022, 09:52:17 AM »
"Fixed penalty notices: 126 Backbones: 148,'

HIGNFY/ Gary Linekar
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

SusanDoris

« Reply #377 on: June 07, 2022, 10:41:07 AM »
But what are they going to vote FOR?
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #378 on: June 07, 2022, 11:00:48 AM »

Leave it out SD, we know you are secretly in love with Boris, but really you are getting as embarrassing as Nad the Mad.

They'll scurry around and undermine Johnson (not that he needs any help) and eventually he'll topple and then they'll choose from a number of front runners, Hunt & Tugendhat both seem keen, so we'll probably end up with one of the no-marks from the cabinet. Maybe Dominic (I didn't understand the importance of the channel crossing) Raab, or Pritti (send the opposition to Rwanda) Patel or the old favourite Rishi (non-dom) Sunak.

Truly the choices are endless in their ability to match the non-talent who is the current incumbent. So no need to fret SD. The current level of incompetence will be maintained.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #379 on: June 07, 2022, 12:34:15 PM »
Boris Johnson is now the political equipment of what I believe is called a turtleshead. I.e a piece of half excreted faeces.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #380 on: June 07, 2022, 01:46:13 PM »
Not having a PM who broke the law and lied to Parliament about it.

SusanDoris

« Reply #381 on: June 07, 2022, 03:00:36 PM »
The constant implication that I do not think through, clearly, practically and dispassionately the ins and outs, possibilities and outcomes could you know, be just a tad annoying if I was the kind of person who wasted time on such unnecessary comments!I have never blindly followed any cause or trend etc and have no intention of starting that now!

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #382 on: June 07, 2022, 04:53:12 PM »
Leave it out SD, we know you are secretly in love with Boris, but really you are getting as embarrassing as Nad the Mad.

They'll scurry around and undermine Johnson (not that he needs any help) and eventually he'll topple and then they'll choose from a number of front runners, Hunt & Tugendhat both seem keen, so we'll probably end up with one of the no-marks from the cabinet. Maybe Dominic (I didn't understand the importance of the channel crossing) Raab, or Pritti (send the opposition to Rwanda) Patel or the old favourite Rishi (non-dom) Sunak.

Truly the choices are endless in their ability to match the non-talent who is the current incumbent. So no need to fret SD. The current level of incompetence will be maintained.

But with Nadine Dorries at the helm, at least British cultural life will be successfully maintained. /sarcasm, for the Sheldon Coopers out there.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #383 on: June 07, 2022, 05:24:48 PM »

From Johnson's pov. I think the next step is to hunker in and fortify the parapets. The existing cabinet seem well subdued and can be moved out and replaced if showing any backbone. He has already put anyone showing signs of both integrity and competence in the backbenches or out of the commons completely.

I don't think he is moving on anytime soon. Meanwhile, the country will lurch from crisis to crisis.

Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #384 on: June 07, 2022, 07:09:15 PM »
Interesting analysis by Peter Oborne:

https://www.middleeasteye.net/opinion/uk-boris-johnson-confidence-vote-billionaires-useful-idiot?

If you don't want to read the whole thing the meat of the article is this:

The billionaire class put their man, Boris Johnson, in Downing Street three years ago. He suits them well because he does what they want. Johnson is at the apex of a system of government that hands out contracts, supplies favours, slashes regulation, attacks the rule of law, reduces the rights of working people, and favours the marketplace above the state.

The brilliance of Boris Johnson is that he does all of this while pretending to be on the side of ordinary working people. That’s why the super-rich love Boris, the billionaire's useful idiot.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 07:17:11 PM by Trentvoyager »

Gordon

• Administrator

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #386 on: June 07, 2022, 08:57:13 PM »
Pritti Patel reserves 148 seats on the next flight to Rwanda.

HIGNFY

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #387 on: June 08, 2022, 08:37:26 AM »
And yet, and yet ... ... there is still no -one stepping forward to try to be the next PM.

It's something of a poisoned chalice at the moment. Would you want to be running a country that has been crippled by Brexit and COVID and is thus experiencing record inflation and is likely about to go into recession?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #388 on: June 08, 2022, 08:41:20 AM »

The brilliance of Boris Johnson is that he does all of this while pretending to be on the side of ordinary working people.

Are there any ordinary working people who still buy that one?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #389 on: June 08, 2022, 08:46:52 AM »
Are there any ordinary working people who still buy that one?

Unfortunately going by a vox pop I saw on the BBC yesterday from Redcar the answer to that is sadly a yes.

Some people really do seem to be falling for the "got the big decisions on the pandemic and Brexit right" line that is pushed at every opportunity, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

ad_orientem

« Reply #390 on: June 08, 2022, 08:48:19 AM »
https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1072990467598385152?t=0Jh8jeiHRVfHG-umRXCqkQ&s=19

According to Rees-Mogg this is good for Boris, but worse for May when she had less votes against her. Never understood this kind of loyalty. Bojo probably looks down on him because he's not a real toff! Both idiots though.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2022, 03:31:39 PM by ad_orientem »
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #391 on: June 15, 2022, 07:50:31 PM »
'We don't need no stinking ethics'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61819747

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #392 on: June 15, 2022, 08:58:51 PM »
'We don't need no stinking ethics'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61819747
Johnson thinks ethics is the county to the North of Kent.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #393 on: June 24, 2022, 09:12:02 AM »
Well we know what the people of Honiton, Tiverton and Wakefield think the answer to the title question is.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61920000

The Conservative Party chairman resigned at 5.35am. Chris Mason thinks that is a sign of desperation. I think he was just looking for an excuse to get out.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 09:14:56 AM by jeremyp »

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #394 on: June 24, 2022, 11:30:06 AM »
I have long thought that Alexander Johnson really wants to have been Prime Minister. This brings with it a problem - to have been Prime Minister one actually has to be Prime Minister for a period of time.

He is fortunate in that his term in No 10 will turn out to be one of the most memorable and the many descendents of his numerous offspring will be able to read of their ancestor in their history books. Unfortunately for them, however, it may be with shame at his likely portrayal as the worst prime minister in British history.

Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #395 on: June 24, 2022, 12:49:29 PM »
Well we know what the people of Honiton, Tiverton and Wakefield think the answer to the title question is.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61920000

The Conservative Party chairman resigned at 5.35am. Chris Mason thinks that is a sign of desperation. I think he was just looking for an excuse to get out.

Dowden has been spineless throughout and his resignation letter continues that ...

"somebody must take responsibility" means what? He is taking responsibility? Johnson should take responsibility and resign? He should spell it out and admit he was wrong to support this pathetic pretence of a government.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #396 on: June 24, 2022, 12:53:53 PM »
I have long thought that Alexander Johnson really wants to have been Prime Minister. This brings with it a problem - to have been Prime Minister one actually has to be Prime Minister for a period of time.

He is fortunate in that his term in No 10 will turn out to be one of the most memorable and the many descendents of his numerous offspring will be able to read of their ancestor in their history books. Unfortunately for them, however, it may be with shame at his likely portrayal as the worst prime minister in British history.

Yeah, well, then he is stuck and the  country is stuck with him as the Tories don't have anyone capable of persuading the country that their incompetent government and stupid policies are worth voting for.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #397 on: June 24, 2022, 01:01:17 PM »

Actually, it is quiet worrying that despite all, Starmer does not seem to be making policies and taking stands that are explainable and graspable by the general public. 

SusanDoris

« Reply #398 on: June 24, 2022, 01:13:19 PM »
Actually, it is quiet worrying that despite all, Starmer does not seem to be making policies and taking stands that are explainable and graspable by the general public.
I think I'd call it more like 'desperately worrying that there doesn't seem to be anyone  anywhere who inspires.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #399 on: June 24, 2022, 01:36:29 PM »

And with any luck, the last british prime minister.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."