Author Topic: Arming the Ukrainians  (Read 110823 times)

ad_orientem

Re: Arming the Ukrainians
« Reply #250 on: May 12, 2022, 09:59:53 AM »

So how might Russia retaliate if Sweden and Finland join NATO?

Cyber attacks, misinformation, moving nuclear weapons to Kaliningrad etc. Not anything we're not prepared for. If Putin's plan was to discourage NATO expansion he's obviously failed miserably. This is two fingers right at him. Only himself to blame.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 10:11:44 AM by ad_orientem »
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #251 on: May 12, 2022, 11:38:30 AM »

Cyber attacks, misinformation, moving nuclear weapons to Kaliningrad etc. Not anything we're not prepared for. If Putin's plan was to discourage NATO expansion he's obviously failed miserably. This is two fingers right at him. Only himself to blame.
The figure on the news was that approval for joining NATO in Finland had gone from 20% to 70% which for a shift in public opinion is remarkable. Does it feel like that there?

ad_orientem

« Reply #252 on: May 12, 2022, 12:25:26 PM »
The figure on the news was that approval for joining NATO in Finland had gone from 20% to 70% which for a shift in public opinion is remarkable. Does it feel like that there?

Yes it does. I'm a prime example. I think most people who have changed their opinion see this as a now or never moment.

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #253 on: May 12, 2022, 01:34:41 PM »
Good stuff! Kirill is a tool. It's important that all Christians speak out against this war and especially Orthodox. Religion is a part of the justification for this war, that Ukraine belongs to Russia because of Kieven Rus and its conversion.
I thought that Kyiv was converted first, and therefore Putin and his thugs have got it arse about face. I also thought that historically, Poland had more of a claim to Ukraine (if such ancient history has any validity at all - why not talk about Belarus as being part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. Absurd!)
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

ad_orientem

« Reply #254 on: May 12, 2022, 01:39:59 PM »
I thought that Kyiv was converted first, and therefore Putin and his thugs have got it arse about face. I also thought that historically, Poland had more of a claim to Ukraine (if such ancient history has any validity at all - why not talk about Belarus as being part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. Absurd!)

You're right. I was explaining it as Russia thinks. Russia has no claim to bigger brother status. It's a fabrication by Peter and Catherine. When Kievan Rus was being converted the area where Moscow stands today was inhabited by mainly Finnic tribes.

ad_orientem

« Reply #255 on: May 13, 2022, 06:14:30 PM »
Some media suggest that any advances of Russian orcs might be their last. They are depleted. Let's hope this is true.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 07:02:34 PM by ad_orientem »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #256 on: May 14, 2022, 09:50:37 AM »
Some media suggest that any advances of Russian orcs might be their last. They are depleted. Let's hope this is true.

Apparently, Russia is retreating from Kharkiv.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-may-13

Also, it was widely reported yesterday that the Russians lost an entire battalion tactical group including all its vehicles trying to cross the Siverskyi Donets River and they are not really progressing anywhere.

I think Russia is already losing badly.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

ad_orientem

« Reply #257 on: May 20, 2022, 03:59:26 PM »
Russia is cutting off gas supplies to Finland at 7am tomorrow. Good, I say. I would rather pay more for my goods, tighten my belt, and wear an extra layer of clothes than fund Russia's war one cent more. Domestic use is miniscule here but it will affect industry somewhat.

Unsurprisingly, it seems most Russia supporters are also conspiracy theorists. At least the ones I've encountered on the internet. I wonder what makes a person's brain fry like that? Or is it from the tinfoil hat, causing the head to overheat?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 04:02:21 PM by ad_orientem »

Spud

« Reply #258 on: May 20, 2022, 06:12:34 PM »
Assuming the long term objective be to restore trade with Russia, how much of the problem is due just to Putin himself? What is the likelihood of a coup, and of a decent replacement for him?

ad_orientem

« Reply #259 on: May 20, 2022, 11:08:32 PM »
Hopefully he'll be fertilising sunflowers soon, assumind he really is ill. The aim should be to isolate Russia as long as Putin and his mafia are in power.

ad_orientem

SweetPea

• John 8:32
« Reply #261 on: May 21, 2022, 12:38:35 PM »
Hopefully he'll be fertilising sunflowers soon, assumind he really is ill. The aim should be to isolate Russia as long as Putin and his mafia are in power.

Yes, I'd agree but what will Putin do when completely cornered with no way out? Here is an interesting interview with a nuclear weapons expert and Freddie Sayers is always a good unbiased interviewer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FsSLq1qvX8
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind ~ 2 Timothy 1:7

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #262 on: May 21, 2022, 02:02:06 PM »
Yes, I'd agree but what will Putin do when completely cornered with no way out? Here is an interesting interview with a nuclear weapons expert and Freddie Sayers is always a good unbiased interviewer.

I hate the idea of wishing anyone - not even Putin, ill, but someting has to explain his megalomania.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #263 on: May 21, 2022, 02:56:39 PM »
Assuming the long term objective be to restore trade with Russia, how much of the problem is due just to Putin himself? What is the likelihood of a coup, and of a decent replacement for him?

I'd say it's all Putin. I'd say this whole stupid horrible tragedy is entirely because Putin was losing his grip domestically and he needed an "oh look: squirrels!" moment. Same reason why the Argentinian Junta invaded the Falklands 40 years ago. It ended quite badly for them. We can only hope.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #264 on: May 21, 2022, 03:10:33 PM »

We don't really know if any of the Russian missiles still work. Nuclear weapons require a lot of maintenance, which is something that the Russians seem to be very bad at. We don't really want to find out because even one working ICBM spells catastrophe but I wouldn't be surprised if Putin is wondering how many of his missiles still work too.

There's another possibility and that is that Putin has already pressed the button and nothing happened. Obviously, this is pretty unlikely, but wouldn't it be nice(?) if, when this is all over, it comes to light that Putin tried to destroy the  World at the end of March but just caused a few fires in missile silos?

ad_orientem

« Reply #265 on: May 21, 2022, 05:43:12 PM »

They've given nuclear threats so often I think it's lost much of its meaning. Quite frankly, it's boring. If they were a comedy act the audience would be booing them, calling for better material.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 07:02:13 PM by ad_orientem »

Spud

« Reply #266 on: May 21, 2022, 06:26:24 PM »
We don't really know if any of the Russian missiles still work. Nuclear weapons require a lot of maintenance, which is something that the Russians seem to be very bad at. We don't really want to find out because even one working ICBM spells catastrophe but I wouldn't be surprised if Putin is wondering how many of his missiles still work too.

There's another possibility and that is that Putin has already pressed the button and nothing happened. Obviously, this is pretty unlikely, but wouldn't it be nice(?) if, when this is all over, it comes to light that Putin tried to destroy the  World at the end of March but just caused a few fires in missile silos?
interesting thought.

Spud

« Reply #267 on: May 21, 2022, 07:27:17 PM »
I still think it would have been better to give in to Russia's initial terms. Putin appears to me to have wanted Russian-soeakung regions to become independent and some kind of neutral zone between Russia and NATO countries.

I can understand Ukrainians wanting to fight for their territory and independence, especially because they love their families and land. But I am not sure that land is sacred enough to die for. Life is also sacred, more so in my opinion. Putin would not have dared to invade a NATO country, so I think to strengthen those borders would have been all that was necessary. I think there is a lot of misunderstanding in Russia - evidenced by their belief that the West want to invade it.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 07:30:18 PM by Spud »

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #268 on: May 21, 2022, 07:32:56 PM »
I still think it would have been better to give in to Russia's initial terms. Putin appears to me to have wanted Russian-soeakung regions to become independent and some kind of neutral zone between Russia and NATO countries.

I can understand Ukrainians wanting to fight for their territory and independence, especially because they love their families and land. But I am not sure that land is sacred enough to die for. Life is also sacred, more so in my opinion. Putin would not have dared to invade a NATO country, so I think to strengthen those borders would have been all that was necessary. I think there is a lot of misunderstanding in Russia - evidenced by their belief that the West want to invade it.

And what about all the other non-NATO countries that he would have then felt emboldened to attack?
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

ad_orientem

« Reply #269 on: May 21, 2022, 07:39:28 PM »

Clearly unacceptable. As for Donbas, Russia has moved Russians in and deported Ukranians to Russia. That's what they do. They have form. The only option is to make sure every last Russian soldier is forced out of Donbas and Crimea. Any other option merely emboldens Putin.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 07:46:55 PM by ad_orientem »

Spud

« Reply #270 on: May 22, 2022, 10:07:03 AM »
And what about all the other non-NATO countries that he would have then felt emboldened to attack?
If they agreed to his peace terms he would not need to use military force.

ad_orientem

« Reply #271 on: May 22, 2022, 10:09:39 AM »

That's the might is right argument again. Give in to the bully in the hope he might stop bullying you. It's not an option though because the bully never stops there.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #272 on: May 22, 2022, 11:29:24 AM »

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

As Ad-o has already pointed out you are encouraging a "might is right" position.

Why should sovereign countries agree to a foreign powers' peace terms, if those peace terms mean giving up their own sovereign powers?
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #273 on: May 22, 2022, 03:32:10 PM »

If Russia had been sincere about its initial terms, you might have had a point. However, if there's one thing we've learned about Putin it is that he doesn't think he needs to keep his word.

I don't think it's got anything to do with Russia needing a buffer against NATO. That's just the justification for domestic consumption. In my opinion, Putin is trying to rebuild the Russian empire and he's doing it to distract from domestic troubles.

This is not about dying for sacred land, it's about not wanting to be ruled by a foreign dictator for the foreseeable future. Ukraine is fighting an existential war. If they lose, their country ceases to exist.

Spud

« Reply #274 on: May 23, 2022, 02:07:56 PM »
I was reading this morning that China is to expand its Navy. The reaction from the US is to raise the alarm. Likewise, Russia sees NATO expansion as a provocation.