Author Topic: Arming the Ukrainians  (Read 109983 times)

ad_orientem

Re: Arming the Ukrainians
« Reply #875 on: December 15, 2022, 08:29:37 PM »
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #876 on: December 19, 2022, 07:06:58 AM »
Meet the gang cos the boys are here, the boys to entertain you.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64016599
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

ad_orientem

« Reply #877 on: December 19, 2022, 01:24:41 PM »
Meet the gang cos the boys are here, the boys to entertain you.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64016599

Frontline cringe!

ad_orientem

« Reply #878 on: January 25, 2023, 01:09:28 PM »
An important day. The Leopards have finally been freed. Germany finally did the right thing.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64391272

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #879 on: February 24, 2023, 10:08:57 AM »
A year on, where are we? The thread had fallen off the first page. It feels like we have just accepted it as going on for...

ad_orientem

« Reply #880 on: February 24, 2023, 11:42:41 AM »
I don't think many people gave Ukraine much of a chance. That Ukraine is still fighting on and inflicting heavy casualties on the ruSSians is a testament to their bravery and desire to be part of the free democratic world. We need to be doubling up our efforts to help Ukraine, so that this war doesn't last another year. Neither must we fall into the trap of listening to the peaceniks. They don't want peace, they just want Ukraine to surrender. They side with genocide. Only Ukrainians get to decide when to negotiate peace and on what terms.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #881 on: February 24, 2023, 08:21:55 PM »
Well, there is no sign of an off-ramp, and not much that can be said to improve the situation.
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Spud

« Reply #882 on: February 25, 2023, 11:40:02 AM »
Not on purpose. Sadly, when you're trying to drive an enemy invader out of your homeland, some civilians are going to get caught up in it. This wouldn't be happening if the enemy hadn't invaded, or, having invaded, withdrew.
It has been on purpose, often with Western-supplied weapons. Last June 13 they shelled a busy maternity hospital.. In April they hit two marketplaces.

Russian narrative again. There was no separatist movement in Ukraine. Pre 2014 east Ukraine was pro-Ukrainian in elections.
Donbass declared independence because of the Maidan revolution and coup. Before that the majority wanted free trade with its neighbour.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #883 on: February 25, 2023, 12:12:03 PM »
It has been on purpose, often with Western-supplied weapons. Last June 13 they shelled a busy maternity hospital.. In April they hit two marketplaces.
Donbass declared independence because of the Maidan revolution and coup. Before that the majority wanted free trade with its neighbour.

Bullshit. The only people shelling civilians on purpose are the Russians.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #884 on: February 25, 2023, 12:14:24 PM »
Neither must we fall into the trap of listening to the peaceniks. They don't want peace, they just want Ukraine to surrender. They side with genocide. Only Ukrainians get to decide when to negotiate peace and on what terms.
They do want peace. Unfortunately, they are naive about what peace on Russian terms looks like.

In case there's any doubt, peace on Russian terms looks like genocide.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #885 on: February 25, 2023, 12:15:18 PM »

No point waiting your breath, Spud is so dense that black holes do their best to avoid him.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

ad_orientem

« Reply #886 on: February 25, 2023, 12:55:31 PM »

There was no coup. Yanukovych was democratically removed by the Verkhovna Rada (parliament). He fled, because he knew he would've been impeached. He wasn't in imminent danger. Even the Communist Party (pro-russian) voted for his removal!

Spud

« Reply #887 on: February 26, 2023, 01:47:14 PM »
There was no coup. Yanukovych was democratically removed by the Verkhovna Rada (parliament). He fled, because he knew he would've been impeached. He wasn't in imminent danger. Even the Communist Party (pro-russian) voted for his removal!
Iirc, the Constitution required a minimum of 334 yes votes following a legal hearing by the supreme court.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 01:52:54 PM by Spud »

Spud

« Reply #888 on: February 26, 2023, 01:50:32 PM »
We are talking about Ukrainians shelling civilians between 2014 and last February, according to locals in Donetsk; I gave examples of how that continued last year.

ad_orientem

« Reply #889 on: February 26, 2023, 02:05:34 PM »
We are talking about Ukrainians shelling civilians between 2014 and last February, according to locals in Donetsk; I gave examples of how that continued last year.

Another nice piece of ruSSian propaganda. The reality is quite different though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g-YKRc_b7CE

But even if it were true, ruSSia invaded eastern Ukraine in 2014. Is Ukraine not expected to fight back? You're pronouncing nonsense!

Spud

« Reply #890 on: February 26, 2023, 03:10:38 PM »
Another nice piece of ruSSian propaganda. The reality is quite different though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g-YKRc_b7CE

But even if it were true, ruSSia invaded eastern Ukraine in 2014. Is Ukraine not expected to fight back? You're pronouncing nonsense!
Okay, I get that it wasn't simply shelling civilians but was attempting to regain territory by force.
As I understand it, the Ukrainian parliament acted unlawfully following the violent demonstrations in Kiev. You can expect people in pro-russian regions to force their way into government buildings and declare independence following those events. The AFU responded by attacking DPR and LPR, which has continued since then. What Russia did was in response to that

ad_orientem

« Reply #891 on: February 26, 2023, 03:41:32 PM »
Okay, I get that it wasn't simply shelling civilians but was attempting to regain territory by force.
As I understand it, the Ukrainian parliament acted unlawfully following the violent demonstrations in Kiev. You can expect people in pro-russian regions to force their way into government buildings and declare independence following those events. The AFU responded by attacking DPR and LPR, which has continued since then. What Russia did was in response to that

RuSSia invaded eastern Ukraine in 2014.

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #892 on: February 26, 2023, 05:22:27 PM »
Whereas the Russian bombing of the mainly Russian speaking area around Mariupol was 'totally accidental'.
If there were separatist sentiments there before (debatable), there aren't now.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.quora.com/Is-Mariupol-pro-Russian&ved=2ahUKEwiCjcvl2bP9AhUNRkEAHX98BCMQFnoECDgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3UdaM2cETpLFLkko_tqZM8
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 05:25:25 PM by Dicky Underpants »
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #893 on: February 26, 2023, 05:42:46 PM »

In the last legitimate referendum all of the regions except Sevastopol voted quite heavily in favour of being part of Ukraine, not Russia.

The pro Russia regions are fictions invented by Russian propagandists.

Spud

« Reply #894 on: February 27, 2023, 03:58:41 AM »
In the last legitimate referendum all of the regions except Sevastopol voted quite heavily in favour of being part of Ukraine, not Russia.

The pro Russia regions are fictions invented by Russian propagandists.
By 'pro-Russian' I mean wanting closer ties with Russia, not wanting to be part of it. Polls taken in 2013 showed the majority in Donbass wanted this.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 04:14:10 AM by Spud »

Spud

« Reply #895 on: February 27, 2023, 04:08:22 AM »
RuSSia invaded eastern Ukraine in 2014.
In the case of Donbass, this was with the aim of helping it gain independence, not the aim of annexation.

ad_orientem

« Reply #896 on: February 27, 2023, 09:16:18 AM »
In the case of Donbass, this was with the aim of helping it gain independence, not the aim of annexation.

So, an invasion and illegal. RuSSia is a terrorist state!

ad_orientem

« Reply #897 on: March 06, 2023, 08:25:16 PM »
Another war crime has come to light today. The ruSSian fascists gunned down an unarmed POW after he defiantly shouted Glory to Ukraine. I won't post the video. My disgust for ruSSia and ruSSians is deeper than ever when I thought it was already as low as it could get. All ruSSians are guilty. Watch this:

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1632477722524938240?t=xaMx6SJOne8aa0BDw_dhCQ&s=19
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 08:40:16 PM by ad_orientem »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #898 on: March 06, 2023, 11:42:07 PM »
Hasn't the Ukraine suffered enough?

Spud

« Reply #899 on: March 07, 2023, 03:52:40 PM »
Crimea was occupied by Russia in February 2014. That notwithstanding, none of these regions of Ukraine had the authority to make 'collective self-defence agreements' with any foreign nation, and there is no record of any such agreements outside of the Russian statements and the allies they've elevated to positions of 'authority' following their attempted annexations.

Did Ukrainians have the authority to force Yanukovich out without due process? The Donbass regions responded accordingly.

I think I've posted the video below before: it's an interview with Alexander Khodakovsky, who is former commander of Ukraine's Alpha special unit of the Security Service of Ukraine (SBUl now commander of the Donetsk People's Republic's "Vostok" Battalion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOl7Yy7ljwo&t=940s

He explains how the conflict began.