Author Topic: Arming the Ukrainians  (Read 110964 times)

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
Re: Arming the Ukrainians
« Reply #125 on: March 04, 2022, 09:19:56 AM »
Sometimes the only right thing to do is stand and fight. Sometimes you just have to confront a dictator, just like you would a playground bully. Otherwise they feel they're getting stronger and stronger and can get away with anything.

My problem is the folk crushed underfoot in the fight. Is the fight worth the deaths of so many innocents?
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: March 04, 2022, 09:31:32 AM »
In that case I would expect the other people in the playground to step in? I've seen a strong kid fighting with a weak kid who decided he would take him on, and nobody stepped in. Having been quite badly punched, the weak kid didn't get into more fights after that.  Not if people don't have anything to do with that bully?

Fortunately, school playground bullies don't carry around nuclear weapons in their school satchel.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #127 on: March 04, 2022, 11:27:07 AM »
Really, you think Russia has lost?
In global terms yes. They might take over the whole of Ukraine, but it will be a very costly occupation. However, their economy is now crippled and they can no longer do international sport or even travel freely. Also, we've found out that their military isn't up to much either.

If Putin wanted to increase Russia's standing on the world stage, he has utterly failed.

As to what happens now in Ukraine, I have been thinking about AD70 and how the Jews believed that God would deliver them from the Romans. In the end there was mass slaughter. A high priest had tried to get the Jews to surrender the city of Jerusalem, and this would surely have been the right thing to do.

The Roman empire eventually fell.
The Ukrainians are not relying on God to deliver them.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

ad_orientem

« Reply #128 on: March 04, 2022, 11:52:24 AM »

My problem is the folk crushed underfoot in the fight. Is the fight worth the deaths of so many innocents?

You'd have to ask the Ukrainian people that. From what has been reported, at least, it seems freedom is something they're willing to risk their lives for.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

ad_orientem

« Reply #129 on: March 04, 2022, 11:56:26 AM »
As to what happens now in Ukraine, I have been thinking about AD70 and how the Jews believed that God would deliver them from the Romans. In the end there was mass slaughter. A high priest had tried to get the Jews to surrender the city of Jerusalem, and this would surely have been the right thing to do.

The Roman empire eventually fell.

So Ukraine should just stop fighting and except a puppet president the people have already rejected twice?

Outrider

« Reply #130 on: March 04, 2022, 12:02:20 PM »

How would it be better for them to be crushed underfoot without a fight?

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Spud

« Reply #131 on: March 04, 2022, 12:26:40 PM »
Fortunately, school playground bullies don't carry around nuclear weapons in their school satchel.
I think we should assume that Russia would use nuclear weapons; NATO, rightly, doesn't appear willing to risk using them against Russia, it would mean a nuclear exchange and catastrophe. So the concept of NATO doesn't solve the problem we are now faced with. That's why I'm thinking about how else it can be solved. I'm open to being proved wrong.
So we have a nuclear-armed state invading a sovereign neighbour.
Due to the latter's resistance, it is now shelling civilians. We are making this situation worse by encouraging the underdog to fight (while not being able to engage Russia directly).
Remember that the Russian conscripts apparently don't want this, but apparently they have no choice. So by carrying on fighting they are getting them killed too.
If Ukraine agrees to Russia's terms, they will live - I think that is clear.
I would rather plough my fields under an occupier who is being punished with sanctions than be blown up along with my family.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 12:29:59 PM by Spud »

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #132 on: March 04, 2022, 12:36:24 PM »
How would it be better for them to be crushed underfoot without a fight?

O.

As I get older, I'm more and more inclined toward pacifism.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

ad_orientem

« Reply #133 on: March 04, 2022, 12:42:36 PM »
I think we should assume that Russia would use nuclear weapons; NATO, rightly, doesn't appear willing to risk using them against Russia, it would mean a nuclear exchange and catastrophe. So the concept of NATO doesn't solve the problem we are now faced with. That's why I'm thinking about how else it can be solved. I'm open to being proved wrong.
So we have a nuclear-armed state invading a sovereign neighbour.
Due to the latter's resistance, it is now shelling civilians. We are making this situation worse by encouraging the underdog to fight (while not being able to engage Russia directly).
Remember that the Russian conscripts apparently don't want this, but apparently they have no choice. So by carrying on fighting they are getting them killed too.
If Ukraine agrees to Russia's terms, they will live - I think that is clear.
I would rather plough my fields under an occupier who is being punished with sanctions than be blown up along with my family.

That's you. Others prefer to die fighting so they can be free. Maybe it's time to call Putin's bluff.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 12:49:51 PM by ad_orientem »

Spud

« Reply #134 on: March 04, 2022, 12:48:16 PM »
That's you. Others preserves to die fighting so they can be free. Maybe it's time to call Putin's bluff.
That's their choice. A year ago I personally experienced an injury, an accident, but equivalent to a war injury, and I can assure you it is better to keep your body intact. Or, I'm curious, do you think this is a salvation issue?

ad_orientem

« Reply #135 on: March 04, 2022, 12:51:58 PM »
That's their choice. A year ago I personally experienced an injury, an accident, but equivalent to a war injury, and I can assure you it is better to keep your body intact. Or, I'm curious, do you think this is a salvation issue?

No. I just think freedom is better than bondage. Better to die a free man than live as a slave.

Outrider

« Reply #136 on: March 04, 2022, 03:08:07 PM »
As I get older, I'm more and more inclined toward pacifism.

That doesn't explain how  it would be any better, though. The same oppression, but without the measure of self-respect that comes from 'at least I did something'?

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Spud

« Reply #137 on: March 04, 2022, 03:09:23 PM »
No. I just think freedom is better than bondage. Better to die a free man than live as a slave.
Do you think Russia wants to enslave Ukraine?

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #138 on: March 04, 2022, 03:16:59 PM »
Do you think Russia wants to enslave Ukraine?

They want to control it. To bend it to their will. I think that comes close to enslavement.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Spud

« Reply #139 on: March 04, 2022, 03:37:02 PM »
They want to control it. To bend it to their will. I think that comes close to enslavement.
Maybe. But does that justify going to war? What about either submitting or leaving the country, given that we have multinational sanctions on them.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #140 on: March 04, 2022, 03:39:01 PM »
Meanwhile a reminder that even though Raab, Patel, Johnson say we are at the forefront of sanctions, we pretty much aren't. So no change in the lying from the government. Still, got to give them 10 out of 10 for consistency.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: March 04, 2022, 03:43:21 PM »
Maybe. But does that justify going to war? What about either submitting or leaving the country, given that we have multinational sanctions on them.

Well, it was Russia that actually went to war.

Ukraine just responded as a sovereign nation.

Yea, just submit and live under a repressive regime or leave your homeland. It's so easy isn't it?

Spud

« Reply #142 on: March 04, 2022, 03:52:24 PM »
Well, it was Russia that actually went to war.
Ok, but as I understand it, the people of Donbass voted for independence, right?
Ukraine just responded as a sovereign nation.

Yea, just submit and live under a repressive regime or leave your homeland. It's so easy isn't it?
Yes, when it's that or be blown to bits. And have you read the poem by Wilfred Owen, Dulce et Decorum est?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 03:57:25 PM by Spud »

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: March 04, 2022, 04:06:07 PM »
Yes, when it's that or be blown to bits. And have you read the poem by Wilfred Owen, Dulce et Decorum est?

I've read that poem. Excellent though it is, it is not a guide to how to deal with this situation. War is fucking horrible, we know that. Pacifism only works if everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet about not killing. That will not be the case with the Russians. The Ukrainians have been invaded by a foreign country, I'm having trouble seeing why you aren't getting their determination to stand up for their country.

Maybe they fear if they give in worse will be to follow from Putin and his cronies. You do know that Russia has a long and very bloody record of how they deal with any opposition to their "state". This is a characteristic that goes back centuries. It is entirely possible that some Ukrainians have indeed decided that they would rather get blown to bits.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 04:14:05 PM by Trentvoyager »

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #144 on: March 04, 2022, 04:12:02 PM »
Ok, but as I understand it, the people of Donbass voted for independence, right?

Yes, they did in a referendum that not even Russia recognised. It appears to have been beset by all kinds of problems being both unconstitutional and subject to fraud.

Details here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Donbas_status_referendums

Spud

« Reply #145 on: March 04, 2022, 04:26:23 PM »
Trent, I am getting it but I also think they are assuming tin-of-poo won't use his nuclear arsenal. What if he does? I'm just interested in this strategy of sanctions, I didn't think imuch of it until I realised it may be the only thing that can stop tin Man.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #146 on: March 04, 2022, 04:38:02 PM »
Trent, I am getting it but I also think they are assuming tin-of-poo won't use his nuclear arsenal. What if he does? I'm just interested in this strategy of sanctions, I didn't think imuch of it until I realised it may be the only thing that can stop tin Man.

I agree that sanctions are all we can do right now (which is why I highlighted our government's pathetic record). Do any more than sanctions and you are inviting disaster, even that is very risky. Why?

I think it unlikely he will use his nuclear arsenal directly against Ukraine, it is too close to home. What is more disturbing is the prospect of the North Sea option, which goes something like this - Sanctions and continued Ukrainian resistance forces Putin into a corner. He plays the nuclear option and explodes a warhead over the North Sea between us and Denmark and then just waits to see how the chips fall.

Sound unlikely? Not to me. We are not dealing with a rational mind. Our best hope is removal fairly quickly from within, which unfortunately looks unlikely currently.

Aren't I just the perfect ray of sunshine this Friday afternoon?

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #147 on: March 04, 2022, 10:52:02 PM »
Meanwhile a reminder that even though Raab, Patel, Johnson say we are at the forefront of sanctions, we pretty much aren't. So no change in the lying from the government. Still, got to give them 10 out of 10 for consistency.
It depends on how many Russian entities a country has got that it can sanction.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #148 on: March 05, 2022, 09:19:16 AM »

No, TV, it doesn't.
These islands have three centuries of testemonial.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: March 05, 2022, 11:29:54 AM »

No, TV, it doesn't.
These islands have three centuries of testemonial.

I realise you have your views about Scotland's place in the world. They are your views. Other views are held even within your own country.

I'm not sure it adds anything to the discussion of the situation in Ukraine. And when I say I'm not sure, I really mean I'm absolutely sure it adds nothing.