Author Topic: Arming the Ukrainians  (Read 110944 times)

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Re: Arming the Ukrainians
« Reply #150 on: March 05, 2022, 01:20:24 PM »

No, TV, it doesn't.
These islands have three centuries of testemonial.

Don't worry, if you vote in an anti-union government (which you have already), you won't find the English tanks rolling across the lowlands to install a puppet regime.

Would you be for or against resistance if they did?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #151 on: March 05, 2022, 01:30:30 PM »
Don't worry, if you vote in an anti-union government (which you have already), you won't find the English tanks rolling across the lowlands to install a puppet regime.

Would you be for or against resistance if they did?
I agree that there is nothing in common between Scotland and Ukraine here but it's not that long ago that there were tanks deployed by the UK about a territorial dispute in what some would argue is 'occupied territory'.

ad_orientem

Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #154 on: March 05, 2022, 03:16:34 PM »
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #155 on: March 05, 2022, 04:15:14 PM »
"Genocde on an industrial scale" is a huge and unhelpful exaggeration.
Easy to say when you are not being killed.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #156 on: March 05, 2022, 11:18:38 PM »
Easy to say when you are not being killed.
Typical self-righteous sarcasm. Give it a rest.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #157 on: March 05, 2022, 11:21:15 PM »
The latest 'New European' says that Zelenskyy's 'Servant of the People' party wants to join NATO and the UK. Shome mishtake, surely...

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #158 on: March 06, 2022, 11:09:02 AM »
Typical self-righteous sarcasm. Give it a rest.
I doubt you will be capable of seeing the irony of your post, but it is quite spectacular.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #160 on: March 06, 2022, 01:37:25 PM »
I agree that there is nothing in common between Scotland and Ukraine here but it's not that long ago that there were tanks deployed by the UK about a territorial dispute in what some would argue is 'occupied territory'.

Are you talking about Afghanistan or Iraq? Neither of them were territorial disputes - at least not before we invaded.

I assume you're not talking about Northern Ireland because we didn't deploy tanks there.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #161 on: March 06, 2022, 01:39:31 PM »
Are you talking about Afghanistan or Iraq? Neither of them were territorial disputes - at least not before we invaded.

I assume you're not talking about Northern Ireland because we didn't deploy tanks there.

Falklands, maybe?
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #162 on: March 06, 2022, 02:46:24 PM »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Motorman

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #163 on: March 06, 2022, 04:37:14 PM »
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Motorman

Fifty years ago is not really "not that long ago" nor were the tanks deployed in an offensive role

Quote from: your article
Several Centurion AVRE demolition vehicles, derived from the Centurion tank and fitted with bulldozer blades, were used. They were the only heavy armoured vehicles to be deployed operationally by the British Army in Northern Ireland during the Troubles. The tanks had been transported to Northern Ireland on board the amphibious landing ship HMS Fearless, and were operated with their turrets traversed to the rear and main guns covered by tarpaulins

They were used to break down barricades.

The troops that were in Northern Ireland were deployed in a policing role not as an invading force or an army of occupation. You can argue that it was a mistake to do that, but it was not at all like invading independent Scotland or what the Russians are doing to Ukraine.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #164 on: March 06, 2022, 05:12:58 PM »
I doubt you will be capable of seeing the irony of your post, but it is quite spectacular.
Examples of self-righteous sarcasm from me, please.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #165 on: March 07, 2022, 12:11:46 PM »
We have granted 50 Ukrainian visas so far (out of about 5,000 applications).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60640460

I'm a little bit angry: Priti Patel is doing everything possible to speed up the process, so she says. Why can't she just say to borders officials "if they have a Ukrainian passport, let them in and we'll sort out the details later"?

I'm ashamed at our (the UK's) response to this crisis.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #166 on: March 07, 2022, 12:39:09 PM »

I'm a little bit angry: Priti Patel is doing everything possible to speed up the process, so she says. Why can't she just say to borders officials "if they have a Ukrainian passport, let them in and we'll sort out the details later"?

I notice you are angry and ashamed, rightly so, and although you don't say it, I suspect you are not at all surprised.

When you say the UK's response, I take it you are referring to HMG rather than the people, who I think are doing rather better than the government.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #167 on: March 07, 2022, 01:32:09 PM »

This crisis? Yes, and all the other crises over the last two decades.

But, of-course, the border policies are working exactly as intended.

If Ukrainian refugees and asylum seekers were able to present themselves and make their cases easily at the channel ports, it would set a precedent that could be used by black, brown, etc or Muslim people in the future.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 10:26:41 AM by Udayana »
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #168 on: March 08, 2022, 10:46:57 AM »
If Ukrainian refugees and asylum seekers were able to present themselves and make their cases easily at the channel ports, it would set a precedent that could be used by black, brown, etc or Muslim people in the future.

Yes. The racism is naked:

Daniel Hannan, a former Conservative member of the European Parliament, wrote in London’s Telegraph newspaper of the Ukrainian people being attacked: “They seem so like us. That is what makes it so shocking. War is no longer something visited upon impoverished and remote populations. It can happen to anyone.”

Taken from this report here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2022/02/27/media-ukraine-offensive-comparisons/

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #169 on: March 08, 2022, 12:06:11 PM »
This crisis? Yes, and all the other crises over the last two decades.

But, of-course, the border policies are working exactly as intended.

I think, if you look at my posts in the past on this forum you'll find that I've always been pretty liberal with respect to immigration. In my opinion, we should have an open door policy with some caveats. If somebody is prepared to try to cross the English Channel in a dinghy or lock themselves in a container for days or weeks, wherever they are coming from must be pretty bad and we have a moral duty not to send them back.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #170 on: March 08, 2022, 04:11:06 PM »
Yes. The racism is naked:

Taken from this report here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2022/02/27/media-ukraine-offensive-comparisons/

Couldn't get past the subscription offer.

I will say, the racism is not confined to the UK, some of the European countries can be worse at times - especially East European. But, they are helping the Ukrainians now, so that is good despite anything that may have happened in the past or their future policies.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #171 on: March 08, 2022, 04:15:53 PM »
I think, if you look at my posts in the past on this forum you'll find that I've always been pretty liberal with respect to immigration. In my opinion, we should have an open door policy with some caveats. If somebody is prepared to try to cross the English Channel in a dinghy or lock themselves in a container for days or weeks, wherever they are coming from must be pretty bad and we have a moral duty not to send them back.

Indeed, sorry if I seemed to be challenging your point, was just trying to understand the government rationale for this, aside from the usual incompetence.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #172 on: March 08, 2022, 04:23:30 PM »
Couldn't get past the subscription offer.

Odd. I don't subscribe and read it fine. One of the many foibles of t'internet.

Spud

« Reply #173 on: March 08, 2022, 06:44:59 PM »
A friend who is a retired brigadier said we should do anything we can to help the Ukrainians, including a no fly zone.

Another friend thought this meant geting rid of any flies somewhere :(

ad_orientem

« Reply #174 on: March 08, 2022, 09:57:33 PM »
I'm beginning to be more and more of the opinion that we have to intervene. Ukraine is putting up a good defence but how long can they hold out? On the plus side, I read a report in the Finnish media that Russia's military hardware was meant to be updated but most of the money was stolen and spent on luxury yachts etc.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 08:48:40 AM by ad_orientem »
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.