Author Topic: Arming the Ukrainians  (Read 110837 times)

Spud

Re: Arming the Ukrainians
« Reply #275 on: May 23, 2022, 02:15:14 PM »
That's the might is right argument again. Give in to the bully in the hope he might stop bullying you. It's not an option though because the bully never stops there.
Putin won't be around forever.

ad_orientem

« Reply #276 on: May 23, 2022, 02:36:52 PM »
Putin won't be around forever.

No. Hopefully not for long but what about his cronies?
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #277 on: May 26, 2022, 04:07:49 PM »
I was reading this morning that China is to expand its Navy. The reaction from the US is to raise the alarm. Likewise, Russia sees NATO expansion as a provocation.

Ironic really. It was Putin that provoked NATO expansion
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #278 on: May 26, 2022, 04:10:55 PM »
No. Hopefully not for long but what about his cronies?

I think once Putin is gone, Russia will immediately withdraw from Ukraine and do everything it can to have the sanctions removed. It's probably obvious to everybody in the power chain in Russia that this was a terrible mistake. It's probably obvious even to Putin, but he's a dead man the moment he admits it.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Spud

« Reply #279 on: May 27, 2022, 09:22:58 AM »
Ironic really. It was Putin that provoked NATO expansion
Recently, yes. But historically it seems to be the other way round: the Warsaw Pact was a consequence of the rearming of West Germany within NATO, and since the Pact was discontinued, 11 central and Eastern European countries have joined, with more talking about joining. I think there is a culture of war and violence escalating (just heard talk of a defense treaty between Russia, China and Brazil), and that there has to be a worldwide resolution to work permanently towards deescalation and disarming.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 09:27:27 AM by Spud »

Spud

« Reply #280 on: May 27, 2022, 09:30:26 AM »
I think once Putin is gone, Russia will immediately withdraw from Ukraine and do everything it can to have the sanctions removed. It's probably obvious to everybody in the power chain in Russia that this was a terrible mistake. It's probably obvious even to Putin, but he's a dead man the moment he admits it.
Yes - problems seem to start when one leader goes rogue, and subside when he is gone.

ad_orientem

« Reply #281 on: June 06, 2022, 10:05:40 PM »
Here is a very interesting Twitter account. The owner of the account has for the past three months been translating into English intercepted mobile phone conversations between Russian soldiers and people back in Russia. The conversations describe everything from looting, complaining about command, deserting, major loses and even torture of Ukranian captives. Some of it is quite graphic. These should be made more public, just in case there are still some fuckwits out there with any doubt.

https://twitter.com/mdmitri91/status/1533855587150217219?t=UdUX4lcSsp-mY85dH-bRsw&s=19

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #282 on: June 07, 2022, 05:36:18 PM »
The example in that thread is really horrible and does seem, at least on the surface, incredible as a mother-son conversation.

As the conflict becomes more bogged down with high casualties, destruction and devastating world wide impacts, it would really help to find ways through Putin's information blocks, such that Russians could get more factual and objective news of events. Maybe, might be the only way to end it ...?

Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Spud

« Reply #283 on: June 09, 2022, 10:44:49 AM »
The Russians seem to be
being more successful sine they pulled back to regions that border Russia and the black sea.

ad_orientem

« Reply #284 on: June 09, 2022, 05:06:31 PM »
News breaking that the Fascist Russian proxies of Donetsk have sentenced two Brits and one Moroccan to death for being "mercenaries". In reality they were contracted to the Ukranian army, which means they have POW status. Another in a long list of Russian war crimes.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 07:42:27 PM by ad_orientem »

ad_orientem

ad_orientem

« Reply #286 on: July 14, 2022, 04:09:18 PM »
So how long will it take for the world to declare RuSSia a terrorist state and declare all agreements made with it null and void?

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #287 on: July 15, 2022, 11:28:15 AM »
So how long will it take for the world to declare RuSSia a terrorist state and declare all agreements made with it null and void?

It seems obvious this is not going to happen? The world has been complicit in Russian kleptocracy for decades. They will adjust to the new state of affairs, the next cold war, until Putin is ousted or dies without a similarly motivated successor, or succeeds in the destruction and subjugation of Ukraine, whichever is sooner.   
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

ad_orientem

« Reply #288 on: July 17, 2022, 12:06:26 AM »
It seems obvious this is not going to happen? The world has been complicit in Russian kleptocracy for decades. They will adjust to the new state of affairs, the next cold war, until Putin is ousted or dies without a similarly motivated successor, or succeeds in the destruction and subjugation of Ukraine, whichever is sooner.

Waiting for Putin to be ousted or die isn't the solution because it implies that Russia can be rehabilitated. This isn't a Putin problem, it's a Russia problem. The only real solution is one that results in the break up of the Russian Federation.

Spud

« Reply #289 on: July 17, 2022, 10:39:26 AM »
A friend of mine stood a foot away from me and said 'can we talk like this?'
Me: er...
Him, standing a metre away: can we talk like this?
Me: yes
Him: NATO and Russia can't talk if they share a border. Russia is happy for Ukraine to be independent, but not if they join NATO

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #290 on: July 17, 2022, 10:55:39 AM »
And yet Russia hasn't invaded Norway, Poland, Latvia and Estonia.

All of which have borders with Russia and are in NATO.

It's almost like you are making stuff up to defend Russia's actions.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Spud

« Reply #291 on: July 17, 2022, 12:19:46 PM »
I'm not defending the way Russia is acting, Trent. The Russian language is mutually intelligible with Belarusian and Ukrainian, but not with those countries you listed.

ad_orientem

« Reply #292 on: July 17, 2022, 12:57:22 PM »
I'm not defending the way Russia is acting, Trent. The Russian language is mutually intelligible with Belarusian and Ukrainian, but not with those countries you listed.

Eh?

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #293 on: July 17, 2022, 12:57:36 PM »

What the heck has that got to do with the price of fish?

We do have people called translators, and I know you will find a considerable number of people in Poland who speak Russian due to the Russians forcing their language onto Poland. Current estimates run at around 7 million Polish speakers of Russian, more than enough to converse about any topic including invasion.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #294 on: July 17, 2022, 04:06:30 PM »
And yet Russia hasn't invaded Norway, Poland, Latvia and Estonia.

All of which have borders with Russia and are in NATO.

It's almost like you are making stuff up to defend Russia's actions.

Poland doesn't have a border with Russia (excepting that weird little chunk with Kaliningrad in it) and Norway's is very short and very far North.

Notwithstanding that, if Russia does not like countries on its border joining NATO, it should probably stop demonstrating that they need to be in NATO for their own protection from Russia.

ad_orientem

« Reply #295 on: July 17, 2022, 04:14:31 PM »
Russia is NATO's best saleman.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #296 on: July 17, 2022, 04:26:40 PM »
Poland doesn't have a border with Russia (excepting that weird little chunk with Kaliningrad in it) and Norway's is very short and very far North.

Thank you for confirming they have a border with Russia.

Spud

« Reply #297 on: July 18, 2022, 10:43:35 AM »
Eh?
Ok, the language difference might be bigger than I thought.

ad_orientem

« Reply #298 on: July 18, 2022, 11:20:54 AM »
Ok, the language difference might be bigger than I thought.

I might be, it might not. I can't say. Still, I don't understand why having a related language would make joining NATO (if that really was ever on the cards) more unacceptable (to RuSSia, that is).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 11:36:55 AM by ad_orientem »

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #299 on: July 18, 2022, 12:06:52 PM »
If I might play devil's advocate; parts of Eastern Ukraine, notably the Donbas region, are majority-Russian. Is it unreasonable for them to be ceded to Russia, If Putin could be persuaded to content himself with that?
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".