Author Topic: Arming the Ukrainians  (Read 109351 times)

ad_orientem

Re: Arming the Ukrainians
« Reply #1650 on: February 28, 2024, 09:25:17 AM »
I don't think 'we' do in that sense. I think if most of the nations of NATO were to send troops to kill and be killed in what would amount to a world war, then their govts would lose any elections following that.

'We' live each day with a world where thr 'values we believe in' are compromised because there is not s realistic way of avoiding that. And any action that is taken to degend such values jeopardises other values we hold.

I'd say the risk of a world war is preferable to the alternative, that being a world where nations like Russia are not held accountable for their crimes and nations are sacrificed for fear of escalation.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1651 on: February 28, 2024, 09:36:20 AM »
I'd say the risk of a world war is preferable to the alternative, that being a world where nations like Russia are not held accountable for their crimes and nations are sacrificed for fear of escalation.
Which is a false dichotomy. The support for the Ukraine, while you may not think it enough, is an attempt to hold Russia accountable. The type of purity you are arguong for in politics only happens in video games.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 09:39:23 AM by Nearly Sane »

ad_orientem

« Reply #1652 on: March 01, 2024, 07:22:54 AM »
Rumours Gerasimov may have been killed in a Storm Shadow missile strike on a command post in Sevastopol. Big, if true. The Ukrainian Air Force is cat posting on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/KpsZSU/status/1742940339504091416?s=19

Still hasn't been seen in public since.

ad_orientem

« Reply #1653 on: March 04, 2024, 05:48:15 PM »
Just in case it was in any doubt. Take look at the map behind as well.

https://twitter.com/saintjavelin/status/1764603975402135578?s=19

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #1654 on: March 06, 2024, 11:07:22 PM »
Cough.

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Spud

« Reply #1655 on: March 08, 2024, 03:07:51 AM »
Cough.
The last bit about just being interested in conquest of Ukraine. If this was the case Putin would have invaded earlier than 2022.

ad_orientem

« Reply #1656 on: March 08, 2024, 06:16:44 AM »
The last bit about just being interested in conquest of Ukraine. If this was the case Putin would have invaded earlier than 2022.

He did. 2014.

Outrider

« Reply #1657 on: March 08, 2024, 09:45:21 AM »

He was already busy invading other place under spurious justifications for much of the time, but as has been pointed out he did invade Ukraine before.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Spud

« Reply #1658 on: March 08, 2024, 10:32:52 AM »
Just in case it was in any doubt. Take look at the map behind as well.

https://twitter.com/saintjavelin/status/1764603975402135578?s=19
According to Medvedev's view, then, Canada is America.
Interesting synopsis of why world war 2 probably didn't need to happen, by Scot Horton in the first half hour of this interview. (Around 30 minutes in he makes the analogy with the US and Canada).
https://youtube.com/watch?v=bCyNbuz1DiE&si=dNSY_z9UB4lhb2dv

Spud

« Reply #1659 on: March 10, 2024, 05:07:15 PM »
He was already busy invading other place under spurious justifications for much of the time, but as has been pointed out he did invade Ukraine before.

O.
Arguably, if he was planning in 2014 to continue a conquest of Ukraine, he wouldn't have 'invaded' those other places?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1661 on: March 10, 2024, 06:40:17 PM »
Arguably, if he was planning in 2014 to continue a conquest of Ukraine, he wouldn't have 'invaded' those other places?
So it's ok to randomly invade and murder people, as long as it's not planned too far on advance.

Spud

« Reply #1662 on: March 10, 2024, 07:12:45 PM »
So it's ok to randomly invade and murder people, as long as it's not planned too far on advance.
I was offering evidence that Putin  originally wanted Donetsk and Luhansk to be independent territories rather than intended to occupy them and move on into the rest of Ukraine. As I see it, Ukraine started the murdering. Neither side should have continued it, but these are secular governments whose policy is to meet aggression with aggression.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #1663 on: March 10, 2024, 07:16:01 PM »
I was offering evidence that Putin  originally wanted Donetsk and Luhansk to be independent territories rather than intended to occupy them and move on into the rest of Ukraine. As I see it, Ukraine started the murdering. Neither side should have continued it, but these are secular governments whose policy is to meet aggression with aggression.

Yes well as far as I see you don't have a strong grasp of facts, just conspiracy theories.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

ad_orientem

« Reply #1664 on: March 10, 2024, 07:25:43 PM »

Oh, don't tell me...

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #1665 on: March 11, 2024, 08:17:30 AM »

Who cares what he originally wanted. In 2022, he wanted to overthrow the legitimate government of Ukraine, and make it part of the greater Russian empire.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Outrider

« Reply #1666 on: March 11, 2024, 09:26:08 AM »

I plan on having lasagne for dinner tomorrow, that doesn't in any way stop me from having dinner today, nor from making sure my Asda delivery has beef mince included. Activity today is a reason to plan for tomorrow but to not fulfil those plans today, that's a reality that even Putin can't spin.

You, apparently, want to try, though, so crack on.

O.

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Spud

« Reply #1667 on: March 11, 2024, 10:40:35 AM »
I plan on having lasagne for dinner tomorrow, that doesn't in any way stop me from having dinner today, nor from making sure my Asda delivery has beef mince included. Activity today is a reason to plan for tomorrow but to not fulfil those plans today, that's a reality that even Putin can't spin.

You, apparently, want to try, though, so crack on.

O.
Planning invasions of neighbouring countries is not comparable with with planning essential activities like meals.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #1668 on: March 11, 2024, 10:45:06 AM »
Planning invasions of neighbouring countries is not comparable with with planning essential activities like meals.

No it is significantly more important. The real question is why you continue to support and defend Putin's murderous regime.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Outrider

« Reply #1669 on: March 11, 2024, 10:55:41 AM »

On what basis? My mother's family are from the Dunfermline area, and I can quite easily picture any of them commenting that 'Putin's had more foreign invasions than I've had hot dinners...'

Rational people plan dinners. Rational people do not plan invasions of foreign nations. Rational people do not invent justifications for MULTIPLE invasions of MULTIPLE countries. Rational people do not scrabble around for reasons to justify someone else's baseless multiple invasions of multiple countries.

It's not the activity that doesn't compare, it's the individuals - in this instance you and Putin, seeing as you appear to need it spelling out - which was the point that was being made.

Of course, on the evidence presented, my dinner planning is a quantum leap ahead of Putin's plans for the invasion of Ukraine, but that's a different sort of ineptitude...

O.

Spud

« Reply #1670 on: March 12, 2024, 04:30:11 PM »
Okay, but that we plan meals in advance doesn't prove that Russia was planning a conquest of Ukraine in 2014. But the fact that Russia didn't recognise the sovereignty of Donetsk and Luhansk until 2022, eight years after they declared independence, is strong evidence that Russia wasn't planning that conquest.

Outrider

« Reply #1671 on: March 13, 2024, 09:03:52 AM »
Okay, but that we plan meals in advance doesn't prove that Russia was planning a conquest of Ukraine in 2014.

Firstly - not 'conquest', invasion. Which they did.

Secondlly - no-one suggested that was the fact. What was suggested was that they might have been planning it earlier, but had to delay because they were too busy invading other places. You know, because of their overwhelmingly peaceful, entirely justifiable historical conduct, and all that.

But the fact that Russia didn't recognise the sovereignty of Donetsk and Luhansk until 2022, eight years after they declared independence, is strong evidence that Russia wasn't planning that conquest.

The fact that they had troops in Crimea eight years earlier is stronger evidence that they had their eyes on annexing at least parts of Ukraine, if not all of it. They didn't recognise the sovereignty of Donetsk or Luhansk because a) it gave them a political veil of deniability, and b) they didn't need to because they had functional control already. They formally recognised those territories when they did to give a political justification for their second invasion. You are still making the mistake of assuming that we are going to believe the Russian party line - I can't tell if you do or if you're just willing to lie for them.

O.

ad_orientem

« Reply #1672 on: March 13, 2024, 09:39:48 AM »
You are still making the mistake of assuming that we are going to believe the Russian party line - I can't tell if you do or if you're just willing to lie for them.

O.

My guess: Spud is genuinely pro-Russian because, being alt-right, he sees the FSB agent Kirill backs Putin, Russia has anti gay laws, people beat up gays on the street, and domestic abuse has been decriminalised. tRaDiTiOnAl VaLuOos!

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #1673 on: March 13, 2024, 09:41:37 AM »
My guess: Spud is genuinely pro-Russian because, being alt-right, he sees the FSB agent Kirill backs Putin, Russia has anti gay laws, people beat up gays on the street, and domestic abuse has been decriminalised. tRaDiTiOnAl VaLuOos!

These thoughts have been swirling around in my mind also.

Spud

« Reply #1674 on: March 13, 2024, 10:16:28 AM »
The fact that they had troops in Crimea eight years earlier is stronger evidence that they had their eyes on annexing at least parts of Ukraine, if not all of it.
The troops made a referendum possible, so the people could decide whether to go back to being part of Russia.