Author Topic: Boris Johnson Nature or Nurture.  (Read 529 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Boris Johnson Nature or Nurture.
« on: January 21, 2022, 02:00:07 PM »
We all know about self made men....but who and what is responsible for Johnson? We know at one point in his life he was left, by his parents at the gates of the boarding school system, we know his sense of self importance and need to be loved and to win, we have seen him acting childishly and we know that men and women love him.
So several starting points to set of the discussion there.

Outrider

Re: Boris Johnson Nature or Nurture.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 02:44:54 PM »
I'm a product of the boarding school system; neither I, nor any of the classmates I'm still in contact with have emerged from the experience like Johnson. I'm not saying it didn't contribute, but if it did I suspect it's a relatively minor influence.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 02:58:04 PM »
I'm a product of the boarding school system; neither I, nor any of the classmates I'm still in contact with have emerged from the experience like Johnson. I'm not saying it didn't contribute, but if it did I suspect it's a relatively minor influence.

O.
I have no experience of this system and having brought it up, strangely don't feel I would want to press anybody on their experience......That in itself is probably a sign of the potential bad effects of such a system.

On the other hand those who have been through the same system as Johnson, I know to be supremely confident and excellent at communicating their thoughts and desires.

The school I went too had had boarders to about 30 years before when it elected to become a county council school so there were some public school traditions which lingered.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 05:27:56 PM »
https://www.boris-johnson.com/2009/10/26/school-discipline/ this may be Boris Johnson's memories of school...or, as is more likely, he wrote what he thought would make good copy and who knows what the truth is about his school days.

He says he has a distrust of authority because he got caned at school. His behaviour certainly comes across as a schoolboy who won't follow the rules and bucks authority.
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 07:54:49 PM »
https://www.boris-johnson.com/2009/10/26/school-discipline/ this may be Boris Johnson's memories of school...or, as is more likely, he wrote what he thought would make good copy and who knows what the truth is about his school days.

He says he has a distrust of authority because he got caned at school. His behaviour certainly comes across as a schoolboy who won't follow the rules and bucks authority.
It's ironic that this very day he wants to deny teachers and schools in general PPE to keep the ERG sweet while Hiding behind the pretext of student welfare.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 10:04:03 PM »
It's ironic that this very day he wants to deny teachers and schools in general PPE to keep the ERG sweet while Hiding behind the pretext of student welfare.
If you mean telling people masks are no longer necessary in schools, his article indicates he seems to favour robustness so it's maybe not that surprising about the PPE. Though I get your point that when he wrote the newspaper article he seemed to want to protect and support teachers - but it seems to be more supporting teachers to be robust and exert discipline and order in the classroom. 

My younger daughter's school seems to be complying with the latest instructions that no longer require masks in the classroom. 

Anyway, instructions from the government may just be an attempt at distraction - that seems par for the course for  Boris Johnson.
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi