Author Topic: What if Corbyn had won in 2017?  (Read 645 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

What if Corbyn had won in 2017?
« on: January 27, 2022, 09:36:50 AM »
This may well have been election year with Opposition leader Boris Johnson and shadow chancellor Andy Burnham campaigning to finish Brexit by withdrawing from the single market and against covid restrictions, warning that Corbyn wants to abolish the election on the pretext of Covid.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
Re: What if Corbyn had won in 2017?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 09:47:34 AM »
“You'll never get anywhere if you go about what-iffing like that.” Roald Dahl
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 09:54:51 AM by Trentvoyager »
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 09:50:47 AM »
This may well have been election year with Opposition leader Boris Johnson and shadow chancellor Andy Burnham campaigning to finish Brexit by withdrawing from the single market and against covid restrictions, warning that Corbyn wants to abolish the election on the pretext of Covid.
I think we would still be in the EU. I think Corbyn's negotiation team would haver been about as incompetent as May and Johnson's teams, but I don't think Corbyn would have had the political skills to drive any deal through.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 06:18:38 PM »
I think we would still be in the EU. I think Corbyn's negotiation team would haver been about as incompetent as May and Johnson's teams, but I don't think Corbyn would have had the political skills to drive any deal through.
I think we would be in the single market with a Bino. I think Covid would have been handled better, Lockdowns and circuit breakers etc.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2022, 09:27:34 AM »
I think we would be in the single market with a Bino.
That's a good point actually. Corbin wouldn't have been wedded to the idea of leaving the single market, so he would have been able to do a much better deal.

I think Covid would have been handled better, Lockdowns and circuit breakers etc.
|Our initial handling would have been better. We'd have locked down at least a week earlier. The PPE crisis would have been worse, but there would have been less corruption.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2022, 09:30:11 AM »
That's a good point actually. Corbin wouldn't have been wedded to the idea of leaving the single market, so he would have been able to do a much better deal.
|Our initial handling would have been better. We'd have locked down at least a week earlier. The PPE crisis would have been worse, but there would have been less corruption.
Interesting, How would it have been worse?

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2022, 11:23:58 AM »
Interesting, How would it have been worse?

Because the government circumvented the NHS procurement process to get as much PPE in as it could. They did this by getting their mates to obtain supplies at great cost to the tax payer and great financial reward to their mates. I don't think a Labour government would have been as willing or able to do this and the PPE crisis would initially, at least, have been worse.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2022, 11:42:05 AM »
Because the government circumvented the NHS procurement process to get as much PPE in as it could. They did this by getting their mates to obtain supplies at great cost to the tax payer and great financial reward to their mates. I don't think a Labour government would have been as willing or able to do this and the PPE crisis would initially, at least, have been worse.
I suppose I am working on the assumption that Jeremy Corbyn, having no mates to financially satisfy would have taken the month we had between the disastrous situation that was happening in Italy and it happening here which would have then lessened the need for PPE upfront. Presumably the question of PPE would have come up earlier and instead of depending on spiverry would have depended on producing as sufficient within the month.

Had Labour been elected it would have probably been more likely to have acted on the findings of the previous stress test exercise I believe was in 2016 and it is difficult to imagine less focus on the NHS by Corbyn than the tories.