Author Topic: Holocaust Memorial Day  (Read 398 times)

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Holocaust Memorial Day
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 02:53:43 AM »

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 09:42:39 AM »
     The closest I ever cane to meeting a holocaust survivor was having the immense privilege of meeting Corrie Ten Boom in 1980.
Corrie, a Dutch Christian, had been interned in Ravensbruck concentration camp, along with members of her family, because they had hidden Jews in their Haarlem home.
Her book, "The Hiding Place" is still worth a read.
Talking about books, "Selected to live" by Hansi Douglas is another good read. Hansi - Johanna Ruth Dobshiemer - a Jewish girl hidden by German resistance  - married a British soldier...who was from Ayrshire farming stock. They settled in Dunlop, Ayrshire, after the war.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 11:55:34 AM »
I recently watched The Last Days on Netflix - very moving. It's an Oscar-winning documentary about the Holocaust and I'm surprised I had not watched it before as I have seen Schindler's List a few time now.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/nows-the-time-to-watch-1998-holocaust-doc-the-last-days-currently-on-netflix/
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi