Author Topic: Energy Costs  (Read 1275 times)

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
Energy Costs
« on: February 04, 2022, 02:36:15 PM »
So we get £200 "discount" and then pay it back over 5 years. First up, not a discount Mr Sunak. A loan.

Second up, found this elsewhere:

Just to clarify in practice the £200 bill-credit 'loan' on all home elec bills in Oct.
- every bill will reduce by £200
- every bill after Apr 23 increases by £40/yr for 5yrs regardless of if you got the £200 or not.
Its a 1yr bill reduction followed by a 5yr compulsory levy.

So just to clarify if are a student currently whose fuel bills are part of your housing costs, or if you are leaving home for the first time and setting up house, or if you are getting a divorce and setting up a new fuel account you will still be liable to pay back the £200. Even if you didn't get it. Robbery.

Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Energy Costs
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 05:11:08 PM »
Meanwhile  the Chancellor of the Exchequer lies about the weather. Govt packed with liars.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/02/04/rishi-sunak-blames-soaring-energy-prices-on-china-and-colder-than-usual-winter-16046962/?ico=related-posts

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2022, 04:20:51 PM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 01:54:59 PM »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 04:00:40 PM »
Ooft!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61562657

I'm not at all surprised. It's the cost of a war involving one of the World's leading gas and oil producers. Brace yourself for massive food price increases too as Ukraine and Russia between them supply a quarter of the World's wheat.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 06:26:40 PM »
Martyn Lewis on the winter

ad_orientem

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2022, 05:18:25 PM »
I'm not at all surprised. It's the cost of a war involving one of the World's leading gas and oil producers. Brace yourself for massive food price increases too as Ukraine and Russia between them supply a quarter of the World's wheat.

It's a bitch innit! Governments need to be doing more to help citizens but personally I'd rather tighten my belt and wear an extra layer of clothes next winter than fund RuSSia's war one cent more. It's going to hurt but it's worth the price. Listening Germany?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 05:46:49 PM by ad_orientem »
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2022, 11:02:20 AM »
It's a bitch innit! Governments need to be doing more to help citizens but personally I'd rather tighten my belt and wear an extra layer of clothes next winter than fund RuSSia's war one cent more. It's going to hurt but it's worth the price. Listening Germany?

It is not really Germany ... Russia, or rather Putin and the oligarchs, have been using energy as a weapon since at least 2001, the UK being one of the most important enablers. The earlier Ukrainian corrupt regimes also fully participated. At least Ukraine started to push back in 2014 - resulting in the invasion of Crimea and long running war in the SE areas.

Please read Moneyland:
 https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Moneyland.html?id=0O5PDwAAQBAJ

Also, recommend the follow up "Butler to the world":
https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Butler_to_the_World.html?id=5BYVEAAAQBAJ

Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2022, 03:28:46 PM »
Hmm....

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2022, 04:28:50 PM »
As well over 50% of the electricity and gas needs of the UK can be satisfied from our own resources there is no need to let prices climb so high. We could maintain sensible prices for domestic consumption, allowing room for re-investment in the industry, and regulate fuel and energy imports according to what is needed by business. 

Wouldn't this be a "brexit benefit"? - but no, we choose enslavement to a dumb market that knows nothing and has nowhere to go!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2022, 06:13:32 PM »
With further increased prices over the next 6 months in 2 tranches, and winter arriving, there will be millions having problems. Meanwhile Johnson has parties, and Sunak and Truss make no sensible proposals.

Roses

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2022, 06:38:26 PM »
I feel extremely sorry for people who have to decide whether to heat or eat. :o
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2022, 06:43:00 PM »
I feel extremely sorry for people who have to decide whether to heat or eat. :o
I hope a non payment campaign grows, and gets real support and then gets proper action from the UK govt. Otherwise people are going to die because the UK govt is not taking action.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2022, 06:56:54 PM »
I hope a non payment campaign grows, and gets real support and then gets proper action from the UK govt. Otherwise people are going to die because the UK govt is not taking action.

I think this is now the only way forward if we are not to see real hardship. The government is showing no signs of trying to help further, or is simply incapable of it.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2022, 09:14:14 PM »
I think this is now the only way forward if we are not to see real hardship. The government is showing no signs of trying to help further, or is simply incapable of it.
I think real hardship is already kicking in, and worse is unavoidable. Meanwhile the opposition parties seem stuck in defensive mode. Not helped in the Labour Party by their division on the strikes.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2022, 03:17:57 PM »
I think real hardship is already kicking in, and worse is unavoidable. Meanwhile the opposition parties seem stuck in defensive mode. Not helped in the Labour Party by their division on the strikes.

Shouldn't Starmer (and/or his team) be working on and setting out a policy and plan on what to do to get everyone through the situation with minimum damage? And, explaining or selling it to his own party, businesses, and everyone else? Instead they seem to be focused on "culture wars" within Labour.

Of-course if the plan is pinched by the Tories - that doesn't really matter too much as long as they don't sabotage it to divert funds to their crony "friends". 

You can have protests and a payment strike, but at the end of the day you still need a way of getting energy to where it is needed.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2022, 03:23:49 PM »
Shouldn't Starmer (and/or his team) be working on and setting out a policy and plan on what to do to get everyone through the situation with minimum damage? And, explaining or selling it to his own party, businesses, and everyone else? Instead they seem to be focused on "culture wars" within Labour.

Of-course if the plan is pinched by the Tories - that doesn't really matter too much as long as they don't sabotage it to divert funds to their crony "friends". 

You can have protests and a payment strike, but at the end of the day you still need a way of getting energy to where it is needed.

In the short term people will die. Yes, there needs to be work on a coherent plan but part of that is emphasising the problem. In general they don't seem to care.

And the use of the term 'culture wars' with what I read as derogatory overtones here, seems simplistic and disingenuous  for a subject which covers protecting women's sex based spaces.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 03:34:39 PM by Nearly Sane »

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2022, 03:48:56 PM »
In the short term people will die. Yes, there needs to be work on a coherent plan but part of that is emphasising the problem. In general they don't seem to care.

Tories: They don't. Even those that seem empathic don't do anything to help and vote for hard line laws.
Labour: Could work with other opposition parties and people outside parliament (eg. Martin Lewis, Dale Vince, ...)   

And the use of the term 'culture wars' with what I read as derogatory overtones here, seems simplistic and disingenuous  for a subject which covers protecting women'a sex based spaces.

I had support for strikes, anti-Corbyn faction, calls for "growth", "Britishness", voting with the government on inadequate measures, etc ... more in mind. On gender issues he does not seem to understand what his view was/is himself.

Read this earlier - Some points of which I can sympathise with: https://www.gawker.com/politics/i-hate-keir-starmer

« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 04:04:43 PM by Udayana »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2022, 04:20:27 PM »
Tories: They don't. Even those that seem empathic don't do anything to help and vote for hard line laws.
Labour: Could work with other opposition parties and people outside parliament (eg. Martin Lewis, Dale Vince, ...)   

I had support for strikes, anti-Corbyn faction, calls for "growth", "Britishness", voting with the government on inadequate measures, etc ... more in mind. On gender issues he does not seem to understand what his view was/is himself.

Read this earlier - Some points of which I can sympathise with: https://www.gawker.com/politics/i-hate-keir-starmer

Yeah, some points of that I agree on to but the major problem is they tried Corbyn and he lost, badly, to Johnson. There's only so much 'king over the water' stuff that I can take on this - because at base the Labour Party doesn't have a point just now. Being not the Tories isn't enough anymore. It was in 97 because 18 years, because there were a number of policies, because pre Brexit, pre Scottish collapse.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 04:37:12 PM by Nearly Sane »