Author Topic: Spot the mistake  (Read 1179 times)

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Spot the mistake
« on: February 19, 2022, 12:50:52 PM »
I filled in the NHS Test and Trace Survey. At the end it asks for some "details about yourself" including the inevitable religion question

Can you spot the mistake?

For those people that are using screen reader software, the text in the attachment goes as follows:

Which of the following best describes your religion?

No religion

Jewish

Sikh

Muslim

Christian (including Church of England, Catholic, Protestant and all other Christian
denominations)

Buddhist

Hindu

Atheism

Any other religion, please describe [with a text box to put "Jedi" in]

Don't know

Prefer not to say

"No religion" is highlighted in blue because I had already made my selection when I took the screenshot.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 12:53:11 PM by jeremyp »
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Walt Zingmatilder

Re: Spot the mistake
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 01:59:16 PM »
I filled in the NHS Test and Trace Survey. At the end it asks for some "details about yourself" including the inevitable religion question

For those people that are using screen reader software, the text in the attachment goes as follows:

"No religion" is highlighted in blue because I had already made my selection when I took the screenshot.
So Jeremy there is obviously something more offensive to you here which I'm having trouble seeing than the phrase freedom from religion.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2022, 02:05:58 PM »
So Jeremy there is obviously something more offensive to you here which I'm having trouble seeing than the phrase freedom from religion.

Did Jeremyp say it was offensive. No.

He said it was a mistake.

You are probably guilty of setting up a straw man here, although I never quite get these different fallacies sorted out.

Still, suffice to say, you've not read the post properly and then dragged that poor dead horse of yours onto this thread.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

SusanDoris

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2022, 02:44:59 PM »
Thank you for listing them! I think I'd like them to add: Total lack of belief in anything supernatural. But that is not a 'religion'!

And, since the word religion implies some sort of god, I would phone and tell them that atheism is not a religion and that they should have an option for those who 'lack belief in anything supposedly containing something supernatural'.

I dare say I couldthink of a few other things too ... ... such as the question itself is porly worded!!!
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2022, 06:11:24 PM »
I would phone and tell them that atheism is not a religion and that they should have an option for those who 'lack belief in anything supposedly containing something supernatural'.

Isn't there a more economical way of putting this. Henry James would be proud of that.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2022, 06:31:45 PM »
Isn't there a more economical way of putting this. Henry James would be proud of that.
Oh, look you know nothing about literature.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2022, 05:21:39 AM »

Is 'atheism' a religion?!  How is it different from 'no religion'? 

Of course, some people are very religious about their atheism......

SusanDoris

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2022, 05:42:35 AM »

Although that more general use of the word religious has probably got into dictionaries now, it is in my view an incorrect use of the word.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

SweetPea

• John 8:32
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2022, 12:32:57 PM »

Sriram, I agree.
If you look-up the dictionary meaning of religion one of the explanations is: a pursuit or interest followed with great devotion.
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind ~ 2 Timothy 1:7

SweetPea

• John 8:32
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2022, 12:37:24 PM »

Jeremy, I think you've missed something here. I would say 'the mistake' is asking about their religion or non-religion. What on earth does it have to do with Test and Trace??
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind ~ 2 Timothy 1:7

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2022, 02:38:15 PM »
Jeremy, I think you've missed something here. I would say 'the mistake' is asking about their religion or non-religion. What on earth does it have to do with Test and Trace??

That's a good question. The only possible rationale I can think of is that they want to find out if certain religious groups are more (or less) likely to get or transmit COVID19. This could be the case if their doctrine forbade vaccines or conversely if their doctrine says "protect others by getting vaccinated".
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2022, 02:47:21 PM »
Thank you for listing them! I think I'd like them to add: Total lack of belief in anything supernatural. But that is not a 'religion'!

And, since the word religion implies some sort of god, I would phone and tell them that atheism is not a religion and that they should have an option for those who 'lack belief in anything supposedly containing something supernatural'.

I dare say I couldthink of a few other things too ... ... such as the question itself is porly worded!!!

I take your point, but it is a question about religion, not all forms of superstitious woo.

As I was writing this comment, I realised I might have misled people. The survey from which this comes is not the questionnaire you have to answer to say where you've been and who you've been in contact with, but the survey they send you to find out how hard it was to answer the questionnaire. So they are simply asking this question to help them prepare a sample that reflects the demographics of England and Wales.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2022, 02:49:57 PM »
So Jeremy there is obviously something more offensive to you here .
The word you are looking for is not "offensive" but "amusing".