Author Topic: Ukrainian sailor sinks Russian oligarch's yacht  (Read 754 times)

SteveH

• God? She's black.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Dicky Underpants

"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
Re: Ukrainian sailor sinks Russian oligarch's yacht
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 12:38:21 PM »
Although I can appreciate the emotions that motivated the attempt, can't really see that success would have contributed practically in any way to the defence of Ukraine. 
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 01:00:55 PM »
Although I can appreciate the emotions that motivated the attempt, can't really see that success would have contributed practically in any way to the defence of Ukraine.
Russian oligarchs are probably the only people who Putin listens to. If they feel the war is damaging their interests, they will put pressure on Putin to withdraw.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

ad_orientem

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2022, 01:15:30 PM »
Russian oligarchs are probably the only people who Putin listens to. If they feel the war is damaging their interests, they will put pressure on Putin to withdraw.

And if nothing else it will really piss them off and cost them a few million. Worth it just for that.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2022, 01:30:16 PM »
It's symbolic.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2022, 02:46:31 PM »

hmm, from various discussions I've heard on the radio this morning, few of the people that have known him think he does listen to the oligarchs - he has his own separate power structure. But obviously he allows them to loot Russia - so he must get something back from them - maybe money and other services when he wants them?

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2022, 10:23:20 AM »
hmm, from various discussions I've heard on the radio this morning, few of the people that have known him think he does listen to the oligarchs - he has his own separate power structure. But obviously he allows them to loot Russia - so he must get something back from them - maybe money and other services when he wants them?

Maybe I wasn't being entirely clear. When I said "they will put pressure on Putin to withdraw" I didn't mean they will ring him up for a cosy fireside chat.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2022, 10:48:28 AM »
Maybe I wasn't being entirely clear. When I said "they will put pressure on Putin to withdraw" I didn't mean they will ring him up for a cosy fireside chat.

Sure, but what do you think they will do exactly?

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2022, 11:16:40 AM »
Sure, but what do you think they will do exactly?

I think Putin is in danger of being integrated into the foundations of a Moscow apartment block.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2022, 12:13:58 PM »
I think Putin is in danger of being integrated into the foundations of a Moscow apartment block.

Somehow I doubt it, though at least then we wouldn't have to worry about keeping his blood pressure down.