Author Topic: The Rapture Index  (Read 12089 times)

Dicky Underpants

The Rapture Index
« on: March 03, 2022, 04:28:05 PM »
Considering the current events in Ukraine, I decided to have a look at what Christian End Time groups were making of the scenario, especially those in the USA. It is as I feared. The 'Rapture' enthusiasts (the reference is to 1 Thessalonians, I believe) are working themselves into a froth over the tragedy, led by some of the old-time fundie mouthpieces of yesteryear (especially Pat Robertson and Hal Lindsey). Would you believe that there is a "Rapture Index"? Indeed there is, and the top level is 188 - we currently stand on 186.

Naturally enough, so many of these American "enthusiasts" are all set to inflame an already terrible situation, in the belief that it will hasten their ultimate "redemption". Woe to the world.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 04:32:07 PM by Dicky Underpants »
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Dicky Underpants

Re: The Rapture Index
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2022, 05:59:11 PM »
Fortunately, there is a Democrat as President (albeit a Christian one), who is unlikely to be influenced by fruitloops.
However, Marjorie Taylor Greene, fired in a missile at Russia, might make an effective secret weapon.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2022, 11:51:49 PM »
Fortunately, there is a Democrat as President (albeit a Christian one), who is unlikely to be influenced by fruitloops.
However, Marjorie Taylor Greene, fired in a missile at Russia, might make an effective secret weapon.
A Democrat that thinks men are women if they say they are.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 08:55:40 AM »
Considering the current events in Ukraine, I decided to have a look at what Christian End Time groups were making of the scenario, especially those in the USA. It is as I feared. The 'Rapture' enthusiasts (the reference is to 1 Thessalonians, I believe) are working themselves into a froth over the tragedy, led by some of the old-time fundie mouthpieces of yesteryear (especially Pat Robertson and Hal Lindsey). Would you believe that there is a "Rapture Index"? Indeed there is, and the top level is 188 - we currently stand on 186. Naturally enough, so many of these American "enthusiasts" are all set to inflame an already terrible situation, in the belief that it will hasten their ultimate "redemption". Woe to the world.
I well remember a deminar led by J. John, a UK Anglican evangelical, called "The RUPTURE index"....you may guess what his stance on certain US 'thinkers' (for want of a better word) is. He compared them to hedgehogs anonting themselves with their own saliva (which they really do(, and moving into the middle of the motorway in ecstatic expectation. I like that.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2022, 11:29:09 AM »
A Democrat that thinks men are women if they say they are.

Which has absolutely nothing whatever to do with the subject of this thread.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2022, 11:45:05 AM »
Which has absolutely nothing whatever to do with the subject of this thread.
In terms of the statement that Biden is unlikely to be influenced by fruitloops, it serms on point to me.

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2022, 03:13:39 PM »
In terms of the statement that Biden is unlikely to be influenced by fruitloops, it serms on point to me.
No doubt some of his judgments are suspect, partly due to his age, but I should think he has far more insight into religious matters than the Yankee fundies.
Whatever the case, he's a vast improvement on Fanny Trump, who could certainly have counted on the fundie vote. But let us not have a re-run of the election here, of all places, and certainly not in this thread.

Le Bon David

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2022, 03:40:45 PM »
I well remember a deminar led by J. John, a UK Anglican evangelical, called "The RUPTURE index"....you may guess what his stance on certain US 'thinkers' (for want of a better word) is. He compared them to hedgehogs anonting themselves with their own saliva (which they really do(, and moving into the middle of the motorway in ecstatic expectation. I like that.
Unfortunately, American evangelicals are a very different breed from the British variety, and I wouldn't know where to draw the line between them and the fundies, except that the fundies tend to be angrier and more racist, particularly anti-semitic. I think they all tend to be extreme right wing and pro guns. Just supposing they know where Russia is, I'm sure the attitude of a lot of them would be "up and at'em".

Le Bon David

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2022, 01:15:08 PM »

So everybody who disagrees with you on the status of transwomen is a fruit loop.

I see.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2022, 01:20:05 PM »
So everybody who disagrees with you on the status of transwomen is a fruit loop.

I see.
I think that the idea of gender as being some essence is the same fruitloopery as 'souls'. Your post is not what I have ever said, wrote, or implied.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2022, 11:58:38 AM »
Unfortunately, American evangelicals are a very different breed from the British variety, and I wouldn't know where to draw the line between them and the fundies, except that the fundies tend to be angrier and more racist, particularly anti-semitic. I think they all tend to be extreme right wing and pro guns. Just supposing they know where Russia is, I'm sure the attitude of a lot of them would be "up and at'em".
American evangelicalism is a bit of a syncretic religion with folk religious elements including astrology, numerology, spiritualism, magic, shamanism, capitalism and nationalism thrown in.

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2022, 03:35:40 PM »
American evangelicalism is a bit of a syncretic religion with folk religious elements including astrology, numerology, spiritualism, magic, shamanism, capitalism and nationalism thrown in.
Nancy Regan?

Le Bon David

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2022, 03:39:51 PM »
...but are they Christians?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2022, 04:11:30 PM »
They certainly believe in "the Signs of Christ's return" mentioned in Matthew 24. I don't think they read the tea leaves  to come to conclusions about that (unfortunately they don't take into account the hundreds of failed predictions over the centuries on this matter, either).

Le Bon David

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2022, 07:22:12 PM »
Galatians 5:22-23
New International Version
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,

23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2022, 08:25:26 PM »
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,

Sadly, neither St Paul nor you,, nor indeed Jesus himself lived up to those ideals on many an occasion.
No doubt you're trying, though.

Le Bon David

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2022, 09:11:22 PM »

Yes.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2022, 09:58:20 PM »

Is that a yes or a no answer?

Nice Ted Rogers impersonation by the way!

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2022, 10:46:19 PM »
Sadly, neither St Paul nor you,, nor indeed Jesus himself lived up to those ideals on many an occasion.
No doubt you're trying, though.
And we're supposed to accept the judgment of someone who styles himself ''Underpants''?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2022, 10:47:29 PM »
Is that a yes or a no answer?

Nice Ted Rogers impersonation by the way!
I can't do the hand thing and always end up giving the V sign.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2022, 10:51:45 PM »
Nancy Regan?
Yes, she was into astrology I understand some of the ''prophets'' who predicted Trump's victory in 2020 refer to stars and numbers and Jim Bakker was selling colloidal silver for covid.

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2022, 11:32:41 PM »
And we're supposed to accept the judgment of someone who styles himself ''Underpants''?
No; just check the words of the "Good Book". As for yourself, no doubt you're doing the best you can.

Le Bon David

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2022, 09:24:50 AM »

Even if the very earliest christians aimed at those aspirations, very rapidly and for most of the last 2000 years christian churches haven't come close to living those goals - quite the reverse.

And I think the key issue is that once the churches became establishment and powerful they focussed on maintaining those positions of power and establishment at the expense of ordinary people, particularly those who were not adherents of the established christian churches.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 10:32:16 AM by ProfessorDavey »

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2022, 10:10:30 AM »
I can't do the hand thing and always end up giving the V sign.
Are you taking lessons from Boris on how not to answer the question actually asked?
Albert Einstein

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2022, 04:27:04 PM »
Even if the very earliest christians aimed at those aspirations, very rapidly and for most of the last 2000 years christian churches haven't come close to living those goals - quite the reverse.

And I think the key issue is that once the churches became establishment and powerful they focussed on maintaining those positions of power and establishment at the expense of ordinary people, particularly those who were not adherents of the established christian churches.
Hi Prof

There is of course one "Christian" virtue not mentioned in Vlad's quote from Galatians: righteous indignation and the courage to act upon it. But even in this regard the scriptures don't always paint a convincing picture, even of Jesus, notwithstanding all his courage - if the writings are to be trusted to any extent.
Regarding St Paul, Romans 1 is mostly a hysterical rant, in large part homophobic. Not much peace and patience there.

Le Bon David