Author Topic: The Rapture Index  (Read 12031 times)

Dicky Underpants

Re: The Rapture Index
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2022, 04:48:34 PM »
I should mention that these moments of petulance and indeed violence in the NT are what the fundamentalists and their ilk tap into. I once heard the Reverend Ian Paisley justifying murders by Ulster Loyalists by quoting Christ's words "I come not to bring peace, but a SWORD"
No doubt others have seen fit to justify their actions by quoting Jesus' extraordinary words at Luke 22: 36-38
"Anyone who does not have a sword should sell his cloak and buy one."
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2022, 07:54:20 AM »
I should mention that these moments of petulance and indeed violence in the NT are what the fundamentalists and their ilk tap into. I once heard the Reverend Ian Paisley justifying murders by Ulster Loyalists by quoting Christ's words "I come not to bring peace, but a SWORD"
No doubt others have seen fit to justify their actions by quoting Jesus' extraordinary words at Luke 22: 36-38
"Anyone who does not have a sword should sell his cloak and buy one."
Ah, the very atheist process of turning Christianity into something far more opposable has been captured....the moment Underpants changed Christianity into Swordism.

As far as I know Paisley became a model for reconciliation.

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2022, 08:33:09 AM »
Ah, the very atheist process of turning Christianity into something far more opposable has been captured....the moment Underpants changed Christianity into Swordism.

What! You want to exonerate Paisley? Try learning something about his disgusting behaviour before he realised it was expedient not to keep pouring petrol on the flames.
If you want Paisley as a model 'Christian' on your side, you can have him.
Besides, it's fairly obvious for anyone with two brain cells that what Paisley was doing was the typical fundie trick of picking through the scriptures to justify any kind of inhuman behaviour. But the texts are there, and need convincing exegesis, not exploitation by those with blood on their hands.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 08:41:47 AM by Dicky Underpants »
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2022, 09:30:39 AM »

Nonsense - Paisley opposed the peace process, opposed the Good Friday Agreement, opposed the power sharing agreements. He only became a convert when the DUP won an election and therefore he had the opportunity to become First Minister and therefore gain power. His motivation was much more about power than reconciliation.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 09:43:19 AM by ProfessorDavey »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2022, 10:59:08 AM »
What! You want to exonerate Paisley? Try learning something about his disgusting behaviour before he realised it was expedient not to keep pouring petrol on the flames.
If you want Paisley as a model 'Christian' on your side, you can have him.
Besides, it's fairly obvious for anyone with two brain cells that what Paisley was doing was the typical fundie trick of picking through the scriptures to justify any kind of inhuman behaviour. But the texts are there, and need convincing exegesis, not exploitation by those with blood on their hands.
Oh and here we have Christianity turned into Paisleyism...as once it was turned into Phelpsism.
The upshot of this being that anything you don't like, christianity encompasses it?

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2022, 11:08:46 AM »
Oh and here we have Christianity turned into Paisleyism...as once it was turned into Phelpsism.
The upshot of this being that anything you don't like, christianity encompasses it?
I don't quite know what's going on in your topsy-turvy world, Vlad, and I'll soon leave you to sink in the mire of your own misrepresentations. First you support Paisley, now you object because you think he's being put forward as a prime example of a Christian. The point I was making is that he is NOT. But Christianity has to take on board the 'hard sayings' and give a convincing explanation of them. Stop tilting at windmills.

Le Bon David

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2022, 11:24:45 AM »
I don't quite know what's going on in your topsy-turvy world, Vlad, and I'll soon leave you to sink in the mire of your own misrepresentations. First you support Paisley, now you object because you think he's being put forward as a prime example of a Christian. The point I was making is that he is NOT. But Christianity has to take on board the 'hard sayings' and give a convincing explanation of them. Stop tilting at windmills.
let's not forget your two unsubstantiated accusations here
You want to exonerate Paisley
and
you want Paisley as a model 'Christian' on your side

As for ''Swordism''. Swords are often used as a metaphor and the advice to carry a sword was cultural given the situation in Palestine at that time. Anachronistic now. Shrivelling fig trees and kicking spivs up the rear? I'm not specifically exercised by the former and probably in favour of the latter.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 11:27:02 AM by Walt Zingmatilder »

Outrider

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2022, 11:35:55 PM »
As for ''Swordism''. Swords are often used as a metaphor and the advice to carry a sword was cultural given the situation in Palestine at that time. Anachronistic now. Shrivelling fig trees and kicking spivs up the rear? I'm not specifically exercised by the former and probably in favour of the latter.

Which elements someone decides are to be taken literally and which figuratively are decisions up to the individual, and there's no reliable way to say definitively who is right or wrong. I might, personally, prefer your take, but I can't offer anything to someone with the opposing view to say that they are objectively wrong in their interpretation, which is part of the problem with scripture.

Those 'swordists' are just as earnest in their belief, and equally (un?)justified. That ambiguity does nothing but call into question the idea of divine inspiration for the document itself - certainly the wisest being in existence would have been able to be clearer in its meaning?

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2022, 02:04:18 PM »
let's not forget your two unsubstantiated accusations hereand.

The fig tree incident shows that God the creator of Heaven and Earth and perfect being was capable of extreme petulance when a plant that he allegedly designed behaved in the way that he designed it.

In the face of incidents like that, it's no wonder that most people in the World don't take Christian claims seriously.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2022, 03:53:25 PM »
let's not forget your two unsubstantiated accusations hereand.

Unsubstantiated accusations? Are you taking the piss? I accuse Paisley of using the scriptures to promote violence (he did). Quick as a flash you come back and say "Paisley was a model for reconciliation".
Then you accuse me of wanting to turn Christianity into Paisleyism (with the implication that Paisley has suddenly become a negative figure in Christianity in your eyes).

Also, it might help if you read  the opening post of mine in which I set the context of how principally American fundamentalists are using the scriptures to promote the most dangerous and possibly life-threatening ideas.

Get your head out of your arse.

P.S. Have you been taking lessons from the Sergei Lavrov handbook "The ABC of how to lie your head off and still keep a straight face"?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 04:08:07 PM by Dicky Underpants »

Le Bon David

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2022, 09:22:30 AM »
Unsubstantiated accusations? Are you taking the piss? I accuse Paisley of using the scriptures to promote violence (he did). Quick as a flash you come back and say "Paisley was a model for reconciliation".
Then you accuse me of wanting to turn Christianity into Paisleyism (with the implication that Paisley has suddenly become a negative figure in Christianity in your eyes).

Also, it might help if you read  the opening post of mine in which I set the context of how principally American fundamentalists are using the scriptures to promote the most dangerous and possibly life-threatening ideas.

Get your head out of your arse.

P.S. Have you been taking lessons from the Sergei Lavrov handbook "The ABC of how to lie your head off and still keep a straight face"?
You confused me with Paisley thus proving my thesis of what you base your notions of Christianity on.

American evangelicalism has become a blend of Christianity, folk religion, shamanism, white nationalism. How Christian it is depends on the emphasis. And let's not forget black Christians which evangelicals and atheists seem to.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 09:52:10 AM by Walt Zingmatilder »

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2022, 10:40:36 AM »
You confused me with Paisley thus proving my thesis of what you base your notions of Christianity on.

American evangelicalism has become a blend of Christianity, folk religion, shamanism, white nationalism. How Christian it is depends on the emphasis. And let's not forget black Christians which evangelicals and atheists seem to.
I don't think DU is confusing you with Paisley at all. I think he is merely stating that there are all sorts of christians - including ones you may find repulsive yourself.

And this is the key point as far as I am concerned - practicing christians come in all shapes and sizes, from the completely harmless and highly charitable elderly lady who attends a CofE church every Sunday and spends lots of time (which she has as she is retired) helping out with various charities and organisations. All the way through to the odious and highly harmful evangelical hate preachers who whip up hatred against those who they see as sinful, whether that be gay people or people who don't hold to their religious views, to those of different race etc.

So these are both active christians, as are all in the spectrum from one to the other. The issue is that there are plenty of christians (including you Vlad) who seem to want to pretend that the christians you don't like, who's view you find questionable or worse aren't really christians. Well, here's the thing Vlad - they are, and their views (regardless of whether you like them or not) are motivated by their christian beliefs.

SweetPea

• John 8:32
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2022, 01:36:00 PM »
Considering the current events in Ukraine, I decided to have a look at what Christian End Time groups were making of the scenario, especially those in the USA. It is as I feared. The 'Rapture' enthusiasts (the reference is to 1 Thessalonians, I believe) are working themselves into a froth over the tragedy, led by some of the old-time fundie mouthpieces of yesteryear (especially Pat Robertson and Hal Lindsey). Would you believe that there is a "Rapture Index"? Indeed there is, and the top level is 188 - we currently stand on 186.

Naturally enough, so many of these American "enthusiasts" are all set to inflame an already terrible situation, in the belief that it will hasten their ultimate "redemption". Woe to the world.

Pat Robertson and Hal Lindsey and most (if not all) American pastors preach the deception of futurism. The so-called pre-trib,  'rapture' is a misinterpretation of scripture. The idea originates from two Jesuits, theologian Francisco Ribera and Cardinal Robert Bellarmine. It then seeped through to the protestant churches and took hold with John Nelson Darby, Cyrus Schofield and Clarence Larkin. 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 02:45:22 PM by SweetPea »
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind ~ 2 Timothy 1:7

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2022, 04:21:09 PM »
Pat Robertson and Hal Lindsey and most (if not all) American pastors preach the deception of futurism. The so-called pre-trib,  'rapture' is a misinterpretation of scripture. The idea originates from two Jesuits, theologian Francisco Ribera and Cardinal Robert Bellarmine. It then seeped through to the protestant churches and took hold with John Nelson Darby, Cyrus Schofield and Clarence Larkin.
If you by 'futurism' the literal interpretation of apocalyptic scripture as referring to real future events, I'd say it had a pretty long history. I'm also pretty sure most of the early Christians took these scriptures literally (hence the words in that letter attributed to Peter that "a day with the Lord is as a thousand years".) I think it was St Augustine who put forward the idea that the prophesied "Kingdom" had arrived with the establishment of the Church. Nonetheless, literal interpretations have never gone away down the ages, and indeed abounded during the Middle Ages (see Norman Cohn: In Pursuit of the Millennium)

Le Bon David

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2022, 01:55:34 PM »

So these are both active christians,
Please define active christianity. The point I think I want to make here is that my definition of active marxism for example would probably be much more on the mark than your definition of active christianity which itself is likely to be corrupted to classifybad things as ''christian''.
as are all in the spectrum from one to the other. The issue is that there are plenty of christians (including you Vlad) who seem to want to pretend that the christians you don't like, who's view you find questionable or worse aren't really christians. Well, here's the thing Vlad - they are, and their views (regardless of whether you like them or not) are motivated by their christian beliefs.
I'm more concerned with how you see christian beliefs since you've pretty obviously stopped listening or paying attention to the mainstream in favour of focussing on the extreme.

What Christian beliefs shared by all Christians do you think Paisley is motivated by? I have my buzzer ready to eliminate 17th and 18th century british political motivations you may bring up.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2022, 04:06:21 PM »
Please define active christianity.
Err, someone who actively practices their religion, for example through one or more of the following:

1. Attending christian religious worship.
2. Engaging in christian prayer
3. Considering that what they do in their daily lives is motivated by their christian religious belief.

What Christian beliefs shared by all Christians do you think Paisley is motivated by?
A belief that Jesus is the son of god, died for our sins and was resurrected.

I have my buzzer ready to eliminate 17th and 18th century british political motivations you may bring up.
You can put your buzzer away - see above.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 04:45:45 PM by ProfessorDavey »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2022, 06:43:18 PM »
Please define active christianity. The point I think I want to make here is that my definition of active marxism for example would probably be much more on the mark than your definition of active christianity which itself is likely to be corrupted to classifybad things as ''christian''. I'm more concerned with how you see christian beliefs since you've pretty obviously stopped listening or paying attention to the mainstream in favour of focussing on the extreme.

What Christian beliefs shared by all Christians do you think Paisley is motivated by? I have my buzzer ready to eliminate 17th and 18th century british political motivations you may bring up.
I sense a Scotsman that doesn't eat porridge hoving into view.

Can you name any belief that is shared by all Christians?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2022, 11:27:00 PM »
I sense a Scotsman that doesn't eat porridge hoving into view.

Can you name any belief that is shared by all Christians?
Are you saying all christians believe totally incompatible thing from each other and whereas it is possible to tell a marxist or a mathematician it is impossible to spot a christian belief?

In which case we must assume that anything you say about christianity is made up?

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2022, 09:36:24 AM »
In which case we must assume that anything you say about christianity is made up?

No. I think, more accurately, that particular statement applies to you.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2022, 09:47:10 AM »
No. I think, more accurately, that particular statement applies to you.
What have I made up about christianity then?........In your own time.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2022, 09:52:47 AM »
Err, someone who actively practices their religion, for example through one or more of the following:

1. Attending christian religious worship.
2. Engaging in christian prayer
3. Considering that what they do in their daily lives is motivated by their christian religious belief.
A belief that Jesus is the son of god, died for our sins and was resurrected.
 You can put your buzzer away - see above.
Any definition of christianity which includes or is based on the word christian is rather inadequate isn't it Davey?

As far as believing that Jesus is the son of God, died for our sins and was resurrected is concerned I find nothing in that which would in evitably lead to Paisleyan behaviour. Do enlighten us, please.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2022, 09:59:22 AM »
Any definition of christianity which includes or is based on the word christian is rather inadequate isn't it Davey?
Sure - but it is rather self evident that a christian is a person who believes in the teachings of christianity and an active christian is someone who goes one step further and is active in following those beliefs. But you seemed to claim that there isn't some feature that defines christians and active christians.

As far as believing that Jesus is the son of God, died for our sins and was resurrected is concerned I find nothing in that which would in evitably lead to Paisleyan behaviour. Do enlighten us, please.
You may not, but Paisley presumably did. This is the point - while all christians may have a defining belief that Jesus is the son of God, died for our sins and was resurrected, thereafter their interpretation of those fundamental beliefs and how it motivates their actions divides.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2022, 10:59:08 AM »
Are you saying all christians believe totally incompatible thing from each other and whereas it is possible to tell a marxist or a mathematician it is impossible to spot a christian belief?

I find it interesting that you were unwilling or unable to actually answer the question.

Which is it?...in your own time.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2022, 12:32:41 PM »
I find it interesting that you were unwilling or unable to actually answer the question.

Which is it?...in your own time.
And that question is?

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2022, 12:34:33 PM »

No. I just want you to clarify which beliefs you think all Christians hold.