Author Topic: Dissociative Identity Disorder and the Soul  (Read 11651 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Re: Dissociative Identity Disorder and the Soul
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2022, 07:37:20 AM »
Take away God’s creator and there is no God.
Not if God , as you claim for the universe, just is.

Outrider

« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2022, 09:15:36 AM »

You need to establish THAT God is, before you can deduce that God 'just' is.

The universe manifestly is. God, not so much.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2022, 09:18:14 AM »

O.
Exactly.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #103 on: May 05, 2022, 09:57:14 AM »
But if we look at the evidence, surely a more reasonable conclusion is that god just isn't.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #104 on: May 05, 2022, 10:00:16 AM »

O.
Sorry Jeremy assumed that if there was a god that God needs a creator. Yet he has elsewhere allowed for the universe to just be. That is at least special pleading.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #105 on: May 05, 2022, 10:02:12 AM »
But if we look at the evidence, surely a more reasonable conclusion is that god just isn't.
Look at the evidence for what exactly?

BeRational

« Reply #106 on: May 05, 2022, 10:09:41 AM »

For a god surely?

You have concluded there is a god.

Did you do that by evidence?
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #107 on: May 05, 2022, 10:16:53 AM »
Sorry Jeremy assumed that if there was a god that God needs a creator. Yet he has elsewhere allowed for the universe to just be. That is at least special pleading.
No; he was just adopting the implications of Alan's causative argument to expose its hollowness.
The special pleading is Alan's and yours.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 10:21:17 AM by Dicky Underpants »
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #108 on: May 05, 2022, 10:49:00 AM »
But that't the whole point - there isn't any evidence. Of course, absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence, but it does mean that until or unless such evidence arises (noting that people have been failing to provide any evidence of the existence of god for millennia) then it makes no sense to try to explain things we don't understand from a first principle assumption (or assertion) that god exists. This is, of course, the approach that both you Vlad and AB cannot help them selves but do.

BeRational

« Reply #109 on: May 05, 2022, 11:30:51 AM »
But that't the whole point - there isn't any evidence. Of course, absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence, but it does mean that until or unless such evidence arises (noting that people have been failing to provide any evidence of the existence of god for millennia) then it makes no sense to try to explain things we don't understand from a first principle assumption (or assertion) that god exists. This is, of course, the approach that both you Vlad and AB cannot help them selves but do.

Almost totally agree. I think that in certain situations and absence of evidence can be evidence of absence.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #110 on: May 05, 2022, 11:42:41 AM »
For a god surely?

You have concluded there is a god.

Did you do that by evidence?
And what evidence for god are you proposing? God, like philosophical empiricism is unfalsifiable.

In terms of concluding there is a God I will say that the christian wordframework more adequately describes my experience than anything else on offer.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #111 on: May 05, 2022, 11:47:38 AM »
No; he was just adopting the implications of Alan's causative argument to expose its hollowness.
The special pleading is Alan's and yours.
No the special pleading is Jeremy's as he appears to insist that a God has a creator but elsewhere suggests that the universe just is. That is the special pleading.

Alan's causative argument? what's that? I should perhaps state that I am chiefly on here for pleasure so i'm not here to fault Alan but to be all over atheist nonsense.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #112 on: May 05, 2022, 11:48:43 AM »
Almost totally agree. I think that in certain situations and absence of evidence can be evidence of absence.
Example?

BeRational

« Reply #113 on: May 05, 2022, 11:52:16 AM »
Example?

If you make a claim like there is a dragon in my garage. Then we would expect to see a dragon if we go into the garage. If we don't, then this is evidence against your claim.

Another trivial example, is when the fire service are called to put out a fire. When do they leave?
When there is no evidence of a fire surely.
This is just another way of stating the first example. If there were a fire you would expect to see A,B,C etc. If you do not see A or B or C then this is evidence of the absence of fire, and so they can leave the scene.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #114 on: May 05, 2022, 11:59:26 AM »
If you make a claim like there is a dragon in my garage. Then we would expect to see a dragon if we go into the garage. If we don't, then this is evidence against your claim.

Another trivial example, is when the fire service are called to put out a fire. When do they leave?
When there is no evidence of a fire surely.
This is just another way of stating the first example. If there were a fire you would expect to see A,B,C etc. If you do not see A or B or C then this is evidence of the absence of fire, and so they can leave the scene.
Yes, that's correct.

I think the notion of absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence best applies to situations where people have not attempted to obtain evidence, or that that attempt isn't exhaustive. So we couldn't conclude there was no dragon if we hadn't looked even though at that point we have no evidence for a dragon in the garage.

But that isn't really the case with god as people over thousands of years have been trying to provide evidence for god, yet they have all failed to provide any credible evidence for the existence of god. So it is rather more akin to someone claiming that the dragon exists even after the garage has been searched high and low - and then claiming that the reason that there is no evidence for that dragon (despite exhaustive search) is that the dragon is invisible/not responsive to material assessment/only appears to certain people who really, really, really want it to be true/that the search party aren't the right type of people etc, etc (delete as applicable).

BeRational

« Reply #115 on: May 05, 2022, 12:04:49 PM »
Yes, that's correct.

I think the notion of absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence best applies to situations where people have not attempted to obtain evidence, or that that attempt isn't exhaustive. So we couldn't conclude there was no dragon if we hadn't looked even though at that point we have no evidence for a dragon in the garage.

But that isn't really the case with god as people over thousands of years have been trying to provide evidence for god, yet they have all failed to provide any credible evidence for the existence of god. So it is rather more akin to someone claiming that the dragon exists even after the garage has been searched high and low - and then claiming that the reason that there is no evidence for that dragon (despite exhaustive search) is that the dragon is invisible/not responsive to material assessment/only appears to certain people who really, really, really want it to be true/that the search party aren't the right type of people etc, etc (delete as applicable).

I totally agree. Once the garage door is open, then the excuses begin.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2022, 12:45:35 PM »

As a free standing example I would agree and the reason is I would expect to see a big lizard thing which at least smells of burning and/or has wings. In short that there is a dragon in your garage is a falsifiable claim.....and I expect that is your criterion. As an example to use as against the existence of God it obviously falls apart and assumes it's rightful place as a horses laugh argument.

BeRational

« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2022, 01:02:09 PM »
As a free standing example I would agree and the reason is I would expect to see a big lizard thing which at least smells of burning and/or has wings. In short that there is a dragon in your garage is a falsifiable claim.....and I expect that is your criterion. As an example to use as against the existence of God it obviously falls apart and assumes it's rightful place as a horses laugh argument.

If you have concluded there is a god, then presumably you used evidence. Can we see the evidence that confirmed its existence. Or is it invisible like the dragon in my garage.
Do you have evidence, or excuses for lack of evidence?

BeRational

« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2022, 01:04:36 PM »

If you make an unfalsifiable claim, then I am not at all interested.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2022, 01:09:41 PM »
If you have concluded there is a god, then presumably you used evidence.
Experience and argument is what leads me to where I am. I think that that qualifies neither as evidence nor conclusion in your empirical criteria for evidence or criteria.

Also you have foisted the term conclude on me in a sleight of hand......Very dirty.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2022, 01:18:21 PM »
If you make an unfalsifiable claim, then I am not at all interested.
Then you have a philosophy which leads you to that stance. And that philosophy is more than likely unfalsifiable.

If it doesn't come with curry sauce then I am not interested.

Outrider

« Reply #121 on: May 05, 2022, 01:27:53 PM »

Not really, the universe is a background of physical laws, whereas you are positing the unprompted, unwarranted, immediate existence of a complex, coordinated intelligence. Vastly, vastly different claims, even if you accept that the notion of a god is justified in the first instance.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #122 on: May 05, 2022, 01:37:37 PM »
Experience and argument is what leads me to where I am.
Exactly the same approach that lead people to think the sun went round the earth, that the earth was flat and that earthquakes were due to the moving of the giant elephants who held up the world.

Experience and argument get you no-where - evidence does. And you have none to back up you assertion that god exists Vlad.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 02:05:16 PM by ProfessorDavey »

BeRational

« Reply #123 on: May 05, 2022, 02:07:37 PM »
Experience and argument is what leads me to where I am. I think that that qualifies neither as evidence nor conclusion in your empirical criteria for evidence or criteria.

Also you have foisted the term conclude on me in a sleight of hand......Very dirty.

If you believe in a god, you must be convinced that it exists.

I just wonder why you are convinced and what was the evidence that convinced you. If it is personal revelation, I am not interesed, as that is personal.

BeRational

« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2022, 02:08:41 PM »
Then you have a philosophy which leads you to that stance. And that philosophy is more than likely unfalsifiable.

If it doesn't come with curry sauce then I am not interested.

I think you are now in avoidance and excuse mode.
If you cannot provide evidence for the god you believe, just admit it.