Author Topic: Roe vs Wade - getting overturned?  (Read 10818 times)

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
Re: Roe vs Wade - getting overturned?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 11:09:04 AM »
Very worrying. Both the substance of the leak and the fact that there was a leak.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 12:28:06 PM »
Horrifying....were this true, it won't just affect abortion, but the whole civil rights legislation enacted in the sixties.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 12:58:07 PM »
Of course given if you won't use the word women, it's hard to fight for reproductive rights 'Birthing bodies' FFS!

Spud

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2022, 01:21:13 PM »
Of course given if you won't use the word women, it's hard to fight for reproductive rights 'Birthing bodies' FFS!
It's a bit of a mouthful as well.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2022, 02:08:56 PM »
It's a bit of a mouthful as well.
So is fellatio, and it's also a good way of not getting preggers in the first place.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2022, 02:39:27 PM »
So is fellatio, and it's also a good way of not getting preggers in the first place.
Given the subject, this is again an illustration of how tone fucking deaf you are about women's rights.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Outrider

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2022, 08:40:26 AM »
I don't recall the author, but I was particularly struck by someone making the point that functionally it won't make abortion illegal in the US, but it will make it expensive - travel, limited provision will increase the charges - and therefore they are effectively making abortion in the US the province of the rich.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2022, 08:56:45 AM »
I don't recall the author, but I was particularly struck by someone making the point that functionally it won't make abortion illegal in the US, but it will make it expensive - travel, limited provision will increase the charges - and therefore they are effectively making abortion in the US the province of the rich.

O.

I understood that some of the so-called "trigger laws" in some states specifically prohibited travel for the purposes of getting an abortion. This was from some time ago, but I can't think that the lunatics in the Republican Party will have changed that to anyone's advantage.

Update: Just found this which gives a more complete picture.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/03/us-abortions-travel-wave-of-restrictions

Whilst not in place yet, restrictions on travel look very close to the horizon. It is a very messed up place, the US.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 09:01:45 AM by Trentvoyager »

Outrider

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2022, 01:24:50 PM »
I understood that some of the so-called "trigger laws" in some states specifically prohibited travel for the purposes of getting an abortion. This was from some time ago, but I can't think that the lunatics in the Republican Party will have changed that to anyone's advantage.

Update: Just found this which gives a more complete picture.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/03/us-abortions-travel-wave-of-restrictions

Whilst not in place yet, restrictions on travel look very close to the horizon. It is a very messed up place, the US.

I think they'll be able to pass the law that allows them to ban abortions by pill at home, as it's an activity that's happening within their state. I'd like to think that they'd struggle to get a ban on going out of state to pass, but with the current SCOTUS who knows. I can also see them choosing to interpret morning after pills as 'abortifactants' (some of the states already do to avoid paying for them on medical insurances).

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2022, 03:37:13 PM »
More on this matter and why potentially has even broader implications:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/may/03/roe-v-wade-birth-control?

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2022, 02:08:27 PM »
Seen elsewhere:

Spud

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2022, 03:51:39 PM »
How about, whosoever wanteth not children shall he or she not remaine syngele?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 03:54:56 PM by Spud »

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2022, 03:59:49 PM »

Face reality.

Yours,

God, the abortionist extraordinaire.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2022, 04:11:16 PM »

How about....there was a time when evangelicals Stateside were not rabid anti-abortionists, just as many Christians, amongst them evangelicals, this side of the pond, whilst uncomfortable with the topic, recognise that it is not as easy as flinging a Bible quote at it?
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2022, 05:38:40 PM »

How about....there was a time when evangelicals Stateside were not rabid anti-abortionists, just as many Christians, amongst them evangelicals, this side of the pond, whilst uncomfortable with the topic, recognise that it is not as easy as flinging a Bible quote at it?
As a man I feel I have very little right to pontificate on this but appreciate the high likelihood that women faced with the choice are rarely comfortable.

Republicans who are so called pro life wanted anti covid measures abolished, they don't give a shit about young people subsequent to birth having inhumanity incarcerate children at the border and are blatantly hiding behind this issue as a vehicle to abolish rights and for all we know are building a pretext for the next Cessation.

These people will definitely pull our of Nato and hail our nuclear annihilation by the Putster as "Righteous".

Aruntraveller

• Administrator

BeRational

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2022, 07:53:37 PM »
Are they bringing back witch trials as well?

How backward will they get?
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2022, 11:09:47 PM »
Are they bringing back witch trials as well?

How backward will they get?
Greg Locke, a notorious Tubthumping, Trumpist, loud Pastor from Texas announced that there were six witches in his congregation. His worship big top tent was blown down and severely damaged. Had it been your tent or mine it would have been an act of God but no doubt his followers think it was the work of Satan. His methods are controversial even for american theology since he claims a Demon told him about the ''witches''.

BeRational

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2022, 07:00:13 PM »
Greg Locke, a notorious Tubthumping, Trumpist, loud Pastor from Texas announced that there were six witches in his congregation. His worship big top tent was blown down and severely damaged. Had it been your tent or mine it would have been an act of God but no doubt his followers think it was the work of Satan. His methods are controversial even for american theology since he claims a Demon told him about the ''witches''.

Its difficult to lampoon them as they do it to themselves
I see gullible people, everywhere!

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2022, 07:34:13 PM »
Its difficult to lampoon them as they do it to themselves
Most swivel-eyed, far-right American evangelical pisspoors - I mean pastors - are beyond parody: I sometimes think they are cynically competing with each other to see how bonkers they can be and still have big followings and reap in the moolah.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Spud

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2022, 10:53:02 AM »
Face reality.

Yours,

God, the abortionist extraordinaire.
No - abortion is deliberate killing by a human. God alone has the right to take a life, or to authorize the deliberate taking of one. Where in the Bible does God authorize abortion?

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2022, 11:43:12 AM »
No - abortion is deliberate killing by a human. God alone has the right to take a life, or to authorize the deliberate taking of one. Where in the Bible does God authorize abortion?

There are no verses specific to abortion in Scripture (though we twist a few to try to make them)
Given the very high rate of miscarriage and child mortality, such measures were not really needed - though it would be miraculous indee if folk were not aware of the plants and minerals used in the area to procure miscarriages - which are abortions by any other name.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2022, 11:52:38 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordeal_of_the_bitter_water#Abortion_interpretation
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 12:00:10 PM by Trentvoyager »