Author Topic: David Trimble dead  (Read 547 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
David Trimble dead
« on: July 26, 2022, 11:51:20 AM »

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
Re: David Trimble dead
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2022, 11:54:30 AM »
He was.

The irony of Sunak and Truss praising him, whilst going along with plans to undermine the very hard-won peace that was achieved by Trimble and others is....I was going to say surprising.

But it's not actually surprising, it is in total accord with everything they do.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2022, 12:01:58 PM »
He was.

The irony of Sunak and Truss praising him, whilst going along with plans to undermine the very hard-won peace that was achieved by Trimble and others is....I was going to say surprising.

But it's not actually surprising, it is in total accord with everything they do.
I feel more moved than I would have expected to by his death. A reminder that it may sometime be the quiet person swimming against the flow that makes the change.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 12:10:21 PM by Nearly Sane »

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2022, 03:07:49 PM »
It was hard to reconcile the sectarian bigot leading the flute tootlers at Drumcree with the author of the peace process.
Politics, eh?
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2022, 03:57:50 PM »
It was hard to reconcile the sectarian bigot leading the flute tootlers at Drumcree with the author of the peace process.
Politics, eh?
Only Nixon could go to China.

If Trimble had been less of a Unionist, it would not have worked.

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2022, 05:10:54 PM »
Politics, eh?
Yes, I remember his eyes flashing like fire in an interview where his views were being questioned, and  talking about the 'Glorious Revolution and Good King Billy' as if all that had happened the previous week.
Still, at least he didn't start throwing chunks of rock at his opponents as Paisley did.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2022, 06:28:08 PM »
Yes, I remember his eyes flashing like fire in an interview where his views were being questioned, and  talking about the 'Glorious Revolution and Good King Billy' as if all that had happened the previous week.
Still, at least he didn't start throwing chunks of rock at his opponents as Paisley did.

At the time, I was heavily involved with the Iona community, and we had (and still have) very close ties to an equivalent group in Ireland, the Corymeela community.
I rememver a CC member being hospitalised when an Orange mob kicked him as he and others tried to keep the peace at Drumcree. Trimble told him he was the antichrist, and would burn in hell for helping the 'Papists'.
He was Moderator of the Irish Presbyterian Church in2005.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."