Author Topic: The girls done good.  (Read 1212 times)

SteveH

• God? She's black.
The girls done good.
« on: July 27, 2022, 10:00:31 AM »
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

SusanDoris

Re: The girls done good.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 11:17:42 AM »
I don't normally care about football, but 4-0! What a result!
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jul/26/england-sweden-womens-euro-2022-semi-final-match-report
I've been folowing this a bit and listened to Five Live last night to the very exciting match!
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 11:25:53 AM »
I suspect that the Swedish goalie, whether or not it was really her fault, will not be terribly popular in Sweden right now. Apparently, it's the biggest goal difference in any Euro semi-final, women's or men's, ever.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 01:24:41 PM »
I suspect that the Swedish goalie, whether or not it was really her fault, will not be terribly popular in Sweden right now. Apparently, it's the biggest goal difference in any Euro semi-final, women's or men's, ever.
Was a really enjoyable game and although the speed and skill isn't close to that of the men's game it was entertainingly open. I agree on the Swedish goalkeeper, arguably at fault for three of the goals, all except the first which I think she'd have struggled to keep out. I think perhaps the gap with the men's game is most clearly seen with the goalkeeper, as an error often has major impact. A few misplaced passes in midfield, not so much.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 01:59:09 PM »

Especially as the back-heeled goal nutmegged her.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 02:05:29 PM »
Especially as the back-heeled goal nutmegged her.
Actually I thought she was less to blame that for the second and fourth goals. I think the back heel was so unexpected it could have caught out any keeper. She really should have done better with dealing with a speculative cross-box header that went in (second goal) and a lob that wasn't really beyond her reach that should have been pushed over or to the side (fourth goal).

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2022, 02:07:42 PM »
Good game - great result.
All the best for the final.
I found the whole tournament refreshingly exciting.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2022, 04:08:12 PM »
Good game - great result.
All the best for the final.
I found the whole tournament refreshingly exciting.
I've only watched a couple of games and they've been a bit of a mixed bag, with a fair few rather one sided games. I though the England vs Spain game was pretty exciting.

I wished I'd watched more - I love tournament football and under normal circumstances we'd have had the world cup this summer rather than in Nov/Dec. I love the torrent of games, many you can watch as a complete neutral, but then every few days (until your side, in my case England get knocked out) you have a game you passionately care about.

In all honesty I cannot say that I'm anywhere close to being engaged with the women's team as I would (and will) be for the men's team. But I guess that isn't unexpected as for most of us there simply isn't the recognition factor/history etc of the players and their track record in tournaments to rely on. As an England fan you live and breath (and it is etched into your memory) the penalty shoot-outs in 1990 1996, that amazing game in 98 against Argentina through to the heart-breaking penalty misses at Wembley last summer. Too young to remember 66 - I was a couple of months old.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2022, 06:33:10 PM »
Eng 1-0 Ger! Football's coming home! ;D

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2022, 06:45:49 PM »
BOLLOCKS! The krauts have equalised! >:(

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2022, 07:46:37 PM »
YES! We won! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2022, 08:10:20 PM »
Well done to the Lionesses!

SusanDoris

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2022, 06:10:00 AM »
Well done to the Lionesses!
Yes, indeed! :D
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2022, 06:55:05 AM »
And we didn't even need to go to a penalty shoot-out!

Knock knock.
Who's thee?
Football - I'm home!

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2022, 09:10:08 AM »
YES! We won! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Locked on for SPOTY team award ... unless ;)

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2022, 01:44:03 PM »
Locked on for SPOTY team award ... unless ;)

That will be interesting if the women's rugby team win the World Cup. No, it's not football, but it is the World Cup and, more to the point, it will be fresh in the minds of the voters.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

SqueakyVoice

• Life. Don't talk to me about life.
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2022, 06:34:29 PM »
That will be interesting if the women's rugby team win the World Cup..
The fireworks in both games (Eng v Canada & NZ v France) were spectacular!
I might  even get up early for the final.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - D Adams

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2022, 01:13:01 PM »

The fireworks in both games (Eng v Canada & NZ v France) were spectacular!
I might  even get up early for the final.

Good write up here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/63593827
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 01:15:05 PM by Nearly Sane »