Author Topic: The unique human thumb  (Read 1107 times)

SusanDoris

The unique human thumb
« on: July 27, 2022, 11:32:02 AM »
This morning I have learnt something that I have never heard of before, but which completes my knowledge of the human thumb.

My reader was here this morning and whe are on the chapter about the hand. We all know, don't we, that the reason we humans are so clever with our hands is because we have opposable thums. But many species of apes have opposable thumbs and can grip,, so what is different about ours. The answer is that we have three small, extra muscles in our thumbs. This information comes from 'The Body' by Bill Bryson. a book I cannot recommend highly enough.

Anybody here now tht already?
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Roses

Re: The unique human thumb
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 01:53:25 PM »
My thumbs aren't working too well due to arthritis. The thumb on my left hand is quite swollen and can be rather painful. I do daily finger exercises, which helps a bit.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 02:01:02 PM »
This morning I have learnt something that I have never heard of before, but which completes my knowledge of the human thumb.

My reader was here this morning and whe are on the chapter about the hand. We all know, don't we, that the reason we humans are so clever with our hands is because we have opposable thums. But many species of apes have opposable thumbs and can grip,, so what is different about ours. The answer is that we have three small, extra muscles in our thumbs. This information comes from 'The Body' by Bill Bryson. a book I cannot recommend highly enough.

Anybody here now tht already?

No. I knew people raved about our opposable thumbs but I was sceptical that we are unique.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

SqueakyVoice

• Life. Don't talk to me about life.
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2022, 05:22:31 PM »
No. I knew people raved about our opposable thumbs but I was sceptical that we are unique.
There are a lot of others animals that are as unique as humans.
For opposable thumbs, orangutans and chimpanzees are unique.
For recognising ourselves in a mirror, we're  as unique as elephants.
For culture we're as unique as dolphins.
I could carry on (probably).
If it was up to me, just remember their are lots of unique animals and humans are unique as well. We may enjoy being unique, but celebrate it, alongside thousands of other animals, walking flying and swimming together..
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - D Adams

SusanDoris

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2022, 05:34:20 AM »
There are a lot of others animals that are as unique as humans.
For opposable thumbs, orangutans and chimpanzees are unique.
For recognising ourselves in a mirror, we're  as unique as elephants.
For culture we're as unique as dolphins.
I could carry on (probably).
If it was up to me, just remember their are lots of unique animals and humans are unique as well. We may enjoy being unique, but celebrate it, alongside thousands of other animals, walking flying and swimming together..
When choosing the words for the title, I hesitated over 'unique', but couldn't think of a more appropriate adjective at the time! Those three extra muscles would, however, certainly appear to be an important differentiation in our human species of ape.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2022, 10:06:50 AM »
What differentiates humans from all other species is our ability to recognise our uniqueness.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2022, 10:16:27 AM »
What differentiates humans from all other species is our ability to recognise our uniqueness.
Ooh look, a fortune cookie!

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2022, 10:22:24 AM »

I don't know how you could know that.

Dolphins who are currently reckoned to be the closest to us in intelligence show self-recognition earlier than humans, so perhaps they recognize their uniqueness as well.

You are asserting what you want to be true without offering any proof.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Roses

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2022, 11:45:56 AM »
I don't know how you could know that.

Dolphins who are currently reckoned to be the closest to us in intelligence show self-recognition earlier than humans, so perhaps they recognize their uniqueness as well.

You are asserting what you want to be true without offering any proof.

I agree with you.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."