Author Topic: Archie Battersbee has died  (Read 1934 times)

Roses

Archie Battersbee has died
« on: August 06, 2022, 02:48:53 PM »
As sad and tragic as that poor lad's situation was, I am of the opinion it was right to turn of the life support machine as there was no chance of him recovering. That bed is needed for other patients who could be saved.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

SteveH

• God? She's black.
Re: Archie Battersbee has died
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 02:53:37 PM »
Your post would have been better without the heartless second sentence.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Roses

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 03:33:59 PM »
Your post would have been better without the heartless second sentence.

I don't see anything heartless about that. :o

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 06:20:29 PM »
It's a tragedy, and no matter that today's outcome was probably inevitable, the potential loss of a child is surely a situation that would see families explore every avenue available to them - no matter how futile.

I can understand their desperation, and hope that I am never in that situation myself.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2022, 06:26:43 PM »
I don't see anything heartless about that. :o
An 11-year-old boy has just died, and all you're concerned about is getting his bed as soon as possible.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2022, 08:32:59 PM »
The whole situation is tragic. Those parents must be going through torment over the wee lad, and the medics will be hurting as well, to a lesser degree.
My only gripe is with 'Christian Concern', the group which is a very small voice in the Christian scene, but, because of certain campaigns in which it is prominant, is taken, by certain MSM outlets, to be an example of Christian organisations - which it isn't.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Roses

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2022, 10:42:42 AM »
An 11-year-old boy has just died, and all you're concerned about is getting his bed as soon as possible.

I am very sorry for Archie's parents. The point I am making is that beds in ICUs are in such short supply  in many hospitals in the UK that people are dying from heart attacks, strokes and other serious condition, as is happening in our area. Therefore if a person can't be saved the sooner their bed is freed up the better.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2022, 10:57:33 AM »
I am very sorry for Archie's parents. The point I am making is that beds in ICUs are in such short supply  in many hospitals in the UK that people are dying from heart attacks, strokes and other serious condition, as is happening in our area. Therefore if a person can't be saved the sooner their bed is freed up the better.
I still think you should have omitted the second sentence.
Anchorman: Christian Concern are interfering menaces.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2022, 07:30:37 PM »

He actually died a long while ago. Most of the court proceedings have been a waste of time. I’m sorry for the parents but it would have been better if they had accepted the inevitable.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Roses

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2022, 11:34:59 AM »
He actually died a long while ago. Most of the court proceedings have been a waste of time. I’m sorry for the parents but it would have been better if they had accepted the inevitable.

I agree. An investigation needs to take place into exactly what caused Archie to do what he did.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2022, 01:39:08 PM »
I agree. An investigation needs to take place into exactly what caused Archie to do what he did.
A stupid online dare, I believe.

Roses

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2022, 01:54:15 PM »
A stupid online dare, I believe.

So I heard, this needs looking into before anyone else gets killed.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2022, 02:01:02 PM »
So I heard, this needs looking into before anyone else gets killed.
Let's say it is the case, what possible suggestions could any investigation come up with? I can't see a benefit in any such investigation.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2022, 02:50:40 PM »
Agreed - they have absolutely no regard for Archie's best interests, nor for that matter Archie's parents. They are only interested in using people to further their political aims. They have stoked the fire, when what was needed was sensitive and professional counselling for Archie's parents and careful mediation between the family and the medical teams aimed at maintaining bridges and building consensus. Instead they have created division and will have left Archie's parents with an ongoing resentment which will not help them grieve nor heal.

Terrible people.

The equally reprehensible Christian Legal Centre were heavily involved too.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 02:56:50 PM by ProfessorDavey »

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2022, 03:29:46 PM »
I still think you should have omitted the second sentence.

Were this the first instance of their interfering, it would be bad enough.
It isn't.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2022, 04:13:39 PM »
Were this the first instance of their interfering, it would be bad enough.
It isn't.
In my mind they are beyond vexatious.

I think the worst example (although clearly not as distressing) is the recent case of an actor. She applied for the part of lesbian in a theatre version of the Color Purple. She had previously appeared in a different role in the same play and had read the script. When she was offered the part she then said she could play the role as a lesbian as it was against her religious. The theatre company, quite reasonably, said that if she wasn't prepared to play the role as a lesbian (which is a key part of the narrative) then they'd have to find someone else to play the part. She then sued the theatre company (aided and abetted by Christian Concern).

Of course they lost (as they seem always to do) - but they don't seem to care as it just furthers their misguided claims that christians are somehow persecuted for their beliefs - no they aren't but they can be sacked etc for not doing their job or for using their professional positions as a platform for evangelising and often harassing others.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2022, 04:25:34 PM »
I recently got on my FB feed something from another bunch of Christian legal busybodies called ADF UK, specifically about their opposition to plans by the Scottish government to ban self-righteous Christian sanctimones from harassing women outside abortion clinics. (That's not quite how they put it.) I commented
My sympathies are entirely with the Scottish government. I don't know why this shite appeared on my feed, but I'm blocking you.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2022, 05:30:51 PM »
Let's say it is the case, what possible suggestions could any investigation come up with? I can't see a benefit in any such investigation.

Doesn't it depend on why he did it? I'm not at all familiar with the pre-history of this case (I've heard some nasty things on Twitter that can't be verified, so I discount them), but perhaps something could have been done. However, that something would probably be very specific to this case and not something that could be generalised.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2022, 05:50:23 PM »
Doesn't it depend on why he did it? I'm not at all familiar with the pre-history of this case (I've heard some nasty things on Twitter that can't be verified, so I discount them), but perhaps something could have been done. However, that something would probably be very specific to this case and not something that could be generalised.
Well, as I said let's assume the suggestion that it was some internet dare was correct, then that was 'why he did it' given that assumption. If it's the case, then it's just one of those tragic things that can happen.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 05:53:01 PM by Nearly Sane »

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2022, 05:52:08 PM »
I've also heard rumour that it wasn't linked to the on-line dare craze. But without evidence we shouldn't speculate.

But one of the challenges of 'doing something about it' in relation to on-line dares is that by the time you 'do something about it' the craze will have moved on to something else. So I think any intervention would have to be pretty generic to try to get youngsters to think through what they are being asked to do and the potential consequences. Problem is that can be very hard when you are 12 and peer pressure is beginning to bite hard.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2022, 06:34:34 PM »
I recently got on my FB feed something from another bunch of Christian legal busybodies called ADF UK, specifically about their opposition to plans by the Scottish government to ban self-righteous Christian sanctimones from harassing women outside abortion clinics. (That's not quite how they put it.) I commented

The CofS, Scottish Episcopal Church, Methodist Church and Congregational Union have issued a joint statement asking fffor demonstrators who wish to express their views - as is their right - to do so in front of legeslative bodies rather than medical facilities.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 06:36:09 PM by Nearly Sane »

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2022, 10:47:27 AM »
I've also heard rumour that it wasn't linked to the on-line dare craze. But without evidence we shouldn't speculate.

Indeed. I, too, have encountered rumours.

I hope that Archie's death will be subject to a formal inquest and that the coroner will ensure that the circumstances leading to it are fully investigated.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2022, 11:00:24 AM »
Well, as I said let's assume the suggestion that it was some internet dare was correct, then that was 'why he did it' given that assumption.

No, that's the immediate cause. However, there will be a reason (or reasons) why he accepted an internet dare that led to his death.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2022, 02:54:35 PM »
No, that's the immediate cause. However, there will be a reason (or reasons) why he accepted an internet dare that led to his death.
Because he was 12 years old, and kids that age do daft things.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2022, 09:03:06 AM »
Because he was 12 years old, and kids that age do daft things.

And yet most of them fail to kill themselves by accident.