Author Topic: Religions have succeeded  (Read 65655 times)

ProfessorDavey

Re: Religions have succeeded
« Reply #500 on: December 23, 2022, 04:32:35 PM »
I agree ...
I need to double check please VG - because last tie I thought you had answered a question you then claimed you hadn't after all.

So just to be clear.

Do you accept that Islamic societies, defined as being members of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation, have a disproportionately poor record on gender equality?

Simple yes/no please VG

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #501 on: December 23, 2022, 05:22:31 PM »
VG,

It’s hard to know whether you’re serious here – or perhaps you’re just not aware of the canon of writing about moral ideas and implications in literature from the ancient Greeks through to later fables, mediaeval morality plays, Elizabethan drama, the great 19th century novels and so on?

Here for example (from countless examples of the genre) is a short discussion from a philosophy site about the moral implications of line: “If God is dead, then everything is permitted” that Dostoevsky gives to Dmitri Karamazov in the novel The Brothers Karamazov. 

https://www.philosophytalk.org/blog/if-god-dead-why-isnt-everything-permitted

Note here that it’s quite possible to have discussions of this kind whether or not the characters in the story were real, without further “details” required, regardless of the intentions of the author, and without forensic-level information about the characters involved. It also wouldn't matter if Dostoevsky had made Dmitri a ghost by the way.
So you wanted a discussion like this one that you have linked to rather than a multiple choice answer even though you kept posing your question as a multiple choice, which made no sense.

By modern Western standards, the character “god” of the Bible story as presented acted morally badly. The Bible also though describes the character god as morally perfect. This means either:

A. Modern Western moral standards are morally defective; or

B. The god of the Bible character isn’t morally perfect. 

(For completeness both A and B could also be true, but that’s a different matter). 

Just as you would feel able to comment on the moral implications of Karamazov’s question, the question therefore here was and remains which of A or B you opt for on the basis of the story as presented set against your understanding of current Western position(s) on such matters.
Firstly, I already answered in #237 that the 2 options you have presented are not the only 2 options. You have now presented a 3rd option, which is both statements are true. There is a 4th option - both statements could be false. Because if God did not force Mary to be pregnant and she had a choice, then it is not immoral. I don't think the story shows Mary was forced or unduly influenced, whereas you do. We'll have to agree to disagree on the meaning of the word "will".

If it is based on Mary's age - we disagree on whether Mary was old enough to consent. I have no information from the story to say she was under-age. If she was under-age for that time, then yes I think her becoming pregnant is wrong. What constitutes under-age changes from country to country and time-period based on the available options at that time and the views of society. So some European countries it is lower than the UK e.g. Iceland it is 15 years, and in Germany it is 14 years.

I already discussed that in #237 that Option A does not work because there is not a single agreed Western standard of morality.

If your standard of morality refers to age but not to sexual acts, the BMA guidance shows that in the UK children can consent to medical procedures such as circumcision. You mentioned above that your question is not about a sexual act and mentioned the morality of a sperm pill that could make women pregnant. In your question you asked if it was ok to force a woman to take the pill. The obvious answer is no to using force. This is our point of disagreement - whether Mary was forced or coerced or had no choice.

The West disagrees on various standards of morality around consent, hence whether there was valid consent to an artificial pregnancy would probably be decided by a jury. Evidence of force or undue influence would need to be presented. So which standard are you referring to? Do you have a case you can link to?

We don't need to wait for a pill. A teen could be impregnated or impregnate herself with her consent at home with a home-kit bought at on Amazon. I have no idea what the Western standard of morality around allowing teens to buy these kits online or in the shops are and if there is a minimum age to buy and use them. And if an adult can be prosecuted for buying one for someone below that minimum age e.g. to use with someone else's sperm.

If the issue is that Mary's age invalidates consent to pregnancy, so consenting to administering a syringe to herself to get pregnant, I am not sure if this is a moral standard in the West. Do you have any information on this?

Are you suggesting that in the story if Mary had been 20 years old, her consent to the pregnancy is fine? Or was she still forced in your opinion?

Regarding Option B: The character God in the Bible story is not morally perfect.

No idea - I wouldn't claim to know what morally perfect is in order to judge.

But if you are asking me do I think the character God was wrong in the story - as I said above, my reading of the story is no force used and Mary was not under-age, so no.
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #502 on: December 23, 2022, 05:53:26 PM »
I need to double check please VG - because last tie I thought you had answered a question you then claimed you hadn't after all.

So just to be clear.

Do you accept that Islamic societies, defined as being members of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation, have a disproportionately poor record on gender equality?

Simple yes/no please VG
If you are defining Islamic societies as those countries that are members of the Organisation of Islamic Co-operation (OIC), then I agree that members of OIC are also many of the countries listed in the bottom 30 of the what seems to be 155 countries rated in the Gender Equality Index.

Syria's membership of OIC was suspended in 2012 in response to the government’s violent suppression of the revolt in the country.

Many of the top 10 Failed States are also in the bottom 30 of the Gender Equality Index e.g. Yemen, Afghanistan, Chad, DR Congo, Syria

Some of the failed states don't make it on the Gender Equality Index e.g. South Sudan, Sudan, Central African Republic (not members of OIC) and Somalia and Sudan (members of OIC) are all not in the Gender Equality List.

Top 10 Failed States 2022:

Rank   State   
1   Yemen   
2   Somalia   
3   Syria   
4   South Sudan   
5   Central African Republic   
6   DR Congo   
7   Sudan   
8   Afghanistan   
9   Chad   
10   Myanmar   

Interesting correlation.
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #503 on: December 23, 2022, 09:41:39 PM »
VG,

Firstly, I already answered in #237 that the 2 options you have presented are not the only 2 options.

No you didn’t – you deflected.

You have now presented a 3rd option, which is both statements are true.

That’s just a technical point in logic, and in any case it still gives you an immoral god so it doesn’t help you.

There is a 4th option - both statements could be false. Because if God did not force Mary to be pregnant and she had a choice, then it is not immoral. I don't think the story shows Mary was forced or unduly influenced, whereas you do. We'll have to agree to disagree on the meaning of the word "will".

If it is based on Mary's age - we disagree on whether Mary was old enough to consent. I have no information from the story to say she was under-age. If she was under-age for that time, then yes I think her becoming pregnant is wrong. What constitutes under-age changes from country to country and time-period based on the available options at that time and the views of society. So some European countries it is lower than the UK e.g. Iceland it is 15 years, and in Germany it is 14 years.

Bullshit. You’ve heard of Aesop’s fable of the hare and the tortoise I assume? If I asked you about its moral implications presumably you’d come up with “pride comes before a fall”, “slow and steady wins the race” or similar.

Here’s what you wouldn’t do though. You wouldn’t say something like “there’s nothing in the story to say the hare was forced to run so fast”, or “maybe the tortoise was a special racing tortoise – I don’t have enough details”, or “I don’t know what Aesop intended so I can’t comment” or any other of the endless prevarications and obfuscations you keep trying here. No, what you’d actually do would be to answer the question on the basis of the story in front of you as it’s presented.   

It gets worse. The Bible story doesn’t refer to Mary’s age specifically, but we know from other sources what the mean age of someone in her circumstance would be. Now consider again Dmitri Karamazov, who for a while was a military officer. Dostoevsky doesn’t tell us much about his military experience, but at a Lit Crit seminar someone might well say, “well, he was in military service so in the heat of battle he’d likely have seen terrible things that would have made him question where god was in all that suffering, which informs his question later concerning…” etc. Can you see what’s happening here? For analytical purposes people take the “facts” made explicit in the story as published, and then make deductions about what those facts would also imply – and that includes the “facts” about 1st century Palestinian Mary being a recently engaged virgin servant girl. What those “facts” imply is a mean age around 12 – 14, which is all that’s needed for the thought experiment about whether the god character would behaved morally well by impregnating her. Note though that that still leaves you free to add a caveat along the lines of, "if however the Mary of the story was not typical of the archetype and was an an outlier of older age, then that criterion for non-consent would fall away and we'd be left to consider the other ones".                       

I already discussed that in #237 that Option A does not work because there is not a single agreed Western standard of morality.

If your standard of morality refers to age but not to sexual acts, the BMA guidance shows that in the UK children can consent to medical procedures such as circumcision. You mentioned above that your question is not about a sexual act and mentioned the morality of a sperm pill that could make women pregnant. In your question you asked if it was ok to force a woman to take the pill. The obvious answer is no to using force. This is our point of disagreement - whether Mary was forced or coerced or had no choice.

No I didn’t. As you keep disappearing down irrelevant rabbit holes (about there being no sexual act involved etc) I asked you whether in your view non-consensual (not forced) impregnation would therefore be ok. What if, say, the pill was slipped into your daughter’s drink without her knowledge such that she then became pregnant and caried the child to term? Would you be good with that – after all, no sex was involved right? Of course you wouldn’t. Why? Again, no consent.   

The West disagrees on various standards of morality around consent, hence whether there was valid consent to an artificial pregnancy would probably be decided by a jury. Evidence of force or undue influence would need to be presented. So which standard are you referring to? Do you have a case you can link to?

You’re confusing forensics with ethics here. For acts done to or with another person “The West” agrees that valid consent is essential for moral good. Consent is agreed to be valid according to various criteria (that the Prof has already set out for you here): capacity, voluntariness, knowledge of and access to other options etc. The Bible story does not meet these criteria.     

We don't need to wait for a pill. A teen could be impregnated or impregnate herself with her consent at home with a home-kit bought at on Amazon. I have no idea what the Western standard of morality around allowing teens to buy these kits online or in the shops are and if there is a minimum age to buy and use them. And if an adult can be prosecuted for buying one for someone below that minimum age e.g. to use with someone else's sperm.

And if someone else introduced the home kit without the teen’s consent? That’s the point remember?   

If the issue is that Mary's age invalidates consent to pregnancy, so consenting to administering a syringe to herself to get pregnant, I am not sure if this is a moral standard in the West. Do you have any information on this?

Madness. If you want to go down a rabbit hole of whether an underage person can “consent” to do something to herself knock yourself out, but it’s got nothing to do with the issue here of “person” A doing something to person B.

Are you suggesting that in the story if Mary had been 20 years old, her consent to the pregnancy is fine? Or was she still forced in your opinion?

No. As I keep explaining to you, one (but only one) of the criteria that invalidates valid consent is a massively unequal power dynamic.

Regarding Option B: The character God in the Bible story is not morally perfect.

No idea - I wouldn't claim to know what morally perfect is in order to judge.

Whoosh! Have you really forgotten already that not knowing what “morally perfect” means has no relevance at all? All that matters is that we have one suite of standards broadly described as “modern Western” that set out criteria for valid consent, and then we have the behaviour of the character “god” in the Bible story that fails those criteria. That’s it. That’s all you need to know to take a view on which of the two you think to be morally better.

Simple right?     

But if you are asking me do I think the character God was wrong in the story - as I said above, my reading of the story is no force used and Mary was not under-age, so no.

That’s called a non-sequitur. Non-valid consent (ie, acquiescence at best) does not have to entail force. It can simply for example involve a significantly asymmetric power dynamic. Try to remember this.     
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #504 on: December 23, 2022, 10:17:45 PM »
VG,

No you didn’t – you deflected.

That’s just a technical point in logic, and in any case it still gives you an immoral god so it doesn’t help you.

Bullshit. You’ve heard of Aesop’s fable of the hare and the tortoise I assume? If I asked you about its moral implications presumably you’d come up with “pride comes before a fall”, “slow and steady wins the race” or similar.

Here’s what you wouldn’t do though. You wouldn’t say something like “there’s nothing in the story to say the hare was forced to run so fast”, or “maybe the tortoise was a special racing tortoise – I don’t have enough details”, or “I don’t know what Aesop intended so I can’t comment” or any other of the endless prevarications and obfuscations you keep trying here. No, what you’d actually do would be to answer the question on the basis of the story in front of you as it’s presented.   

It gets worse. The Bible story doesn’t refer to Mary’s age specifically, but we know from other sources what the mean age of someone in her circumstance would be. Now consider again Dmitri Karamazov, who for a while was a military officer. Dostoevsky doesn’t tell us much about his military experience, but at a Lit Crit seminar someone might well say, “well, he was in military service so in the heat of battle he’d likely have seen terrible things that would have made him question where god was in all that suffering, which informs his question later concerning…” etc. Can you see what’s happening here? For analytical purposes people take the “facts” made explicit in the story as published, and then make deductions about what those facts would also imply – and that includes the “facts” about 1st century Palestinian Mary being a recently engaged virgin servant girl. What those “facts” imply is a mean age around 12 – 14, which is all that’s needed for the thought experiment about whether the god character would behaved morally well by impregnating her. Note though that that still leaves you free to add a caveat along the lines of, "if however the Mary of the story was not typical of the archetype and was an an outlier of older age, then that criterion for non-consent would fall away and we'd be left to consider the other ones".                       

No I didn’t. As you keep disappearing down irrelevant rabbit holes (about there being no sexual act involved etc) I asked you whether in your view non-consensual (not forced) impregnation would therefore be ok. What if, say, the pill was slipped into your daughter’s drink without her knowledge such that she then became pregnant and caried the child to term? Would you be good with that – after all, no sex was involved right? Of course you wouldn’t. Why? Again, no consent.   

You’re confusing forensics with ethics here. For acts done to or with another person “The West” agrees that valid consent is essential for moral good. Consent is agreed to be valid according to various criteria (that the Prof has already set out for you here): capacity, voluntariness, knowledge of and access to other options etc. The Bible story does not meet these criteria.     

And if someone else introduced the home kit without the teen’s consent? That’s the point remember?   

Madness. If you want to go down a rabbit hole of whether an underage person can “consent” to do something to herself knock yourself out, but it’s got nothing to do with the issue here of “person” A doing something to person B.

No. As I keep explaining to you, one (but only one) of the criteria that invalidates valid consent is a massively unequal power dynamic.

Whoosh! Have you really forgotten already that not knowing what “morally perfect” means has no relevance at all? All that matters is that we have one suite of standards broadly described as “modern Western” that set out criteria for valid consent, and then we have the behaviour of the character “god” in the Bible story that fails those criteria. That’s it. That’s all you need to know to take a view on which of the two you think to be morally better.

Simple right?     

That’s called a non-sequitur. Non-valid consent (ie, acquiescence at best) does not have to entail force. It can simply for example involve a significantly asymmetric power dynamic. Try to remember this.   
There are competing sociologies describing consent, betrothal and marriage in 1st century Palestine, there is no physical contact here let alone sexual contact in fact the nearest thing which describes this is a parthenogenesis. Marriage is subsequent to a betrothal by a year so as you have been told Mary could have reached modern
majority by her marriage. We don't know. Your settling on an average does not fly in law and would set quite a dangerous precedent. So your arguments are firmly in ''what if'' territory

God it must be remembered deals with morally imperfect people in a fallen world comprising more often than not of greater of lesser evils evils and unseen consequences for any decision.

If you believe in the moral zeitgeist as the final arbiter of morality as you seem to then i'm afraid that any statement you make may be taken down and used in evidence against you when the moral zeitgeist has moved on.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #505 on: December 23, 2022, 10:23:51 PM »
For analytical purposes people take the “facts” made explicit in the story as published, and then make deductions about what those facts would also imply – and that includes the “facts” about 1st century Palestinian Mary being a recently engaged virgin servant girl. What those “facts” imply is a mean age around 12 – 14, which is all that’s needed for the thought experiment about whether the god character would behaved morally well by impregnating her. Note though that that still leaves you free to add a caveat along the lines of, "if however the Mary of the story was not typical of the archetype and was an an outlier of older age, then that criterion for non-consent would fall away and we'd be left to consider the other ones".
See above - I said if she was under-age for the time the story was set then it would have been wrong for her to be impregnated.                     

See above - I said we disagreed on the word "will" in the story. You read it as Mary not having a choice to say no, I don't read it that way.
Disagree for reasons already given about the interpretation of the word "will" and Mary not being under-age for the time period, Mary had capacity to say no and other options as considering yourself a servant of God is a voluntary choice and does not mean you have to obey God - you're not a robot and theists who consider themselves servants of God break rules all the time, including teenage theists now and centuries ago in Palestine. 

Covered above - I read it that Mary had a choice whether to go along with God's plan.

And I keep explaining to you people who consider themselves servants of God don't do what they think God would like them to do. It happens a lot, including amongst teens.
See above - don't agree that the god character fails the criteria for valid consent for reasons given,

Try to remember that I keep explaining to you that people who consider themselves servants of God don't do what they think God would like them to do. It happens a lot, including amongst teens. So not much asymmetric power dynamic going on if you can just ignore what you think God wants and do what you want instead.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #506 on: December 24, 2022, 05:58:00 PM »
Vlad,

There are competing sociologies describing consent, betrothal and marriage in 1st century Palestine,…

Relevance?

…there is no physical contact here let alone sexual contact in fact the nearest thing which describes this is a parthenogenesis.

Relevance? If someone invented a pregnancy pill and slipped it into your daughter’s drink without her knowledge such that she then became pregnant you’d be ok with that then would you, what with there being “no physical contact here let alone sexual contact” and all?

Marriage is subsequent to a betrothal by a year so as you have been told Mary could have reached modern
majority by her marriage. We don't know.

The Mary character in the story could have been anything. That’s not the point though. The point is that, on the basis of what the story says and of the reasonable deductions that leads to, it was probably the case that the story concerns a Mary who was underage by current standards. That’s all. Nothing more, nothing less. 

Your settling on an average does not fly in law and would set quite a dangerous precedent. So your arguments are firmly in ''what if'' territory

We‘re talking about morality here not legal standards, and Lit Crit generally is in “what if” territory.

God it must be remembered deals with morally imperfect people in a fallen world comprising more often than not of greater of lesser evils evils and unseen consequences for any decision.

And your point would be?

If you believe in the moral zeitgeist as the final arbiter of morality as you seem to then i'm afraid that any statement you make may be taken down and used in evidence against you when the moral zeitgeist has moved on.

As the king of the straw man I guess it’s fitting that you end the year with one of your most epic. Any post I’ve ever made about morality has said the precise opposite of my believing "in the moral zeitgeist as the final arbiter of morality”. 

Happy Christmas.

God

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #507 on: December 24, 2022, 11:21:13 PM »
BHS

Even in terms of literary criticism, I find your comparison of Mary to a 14 year old today extremely odd, especially the comparison to a 14 year old who is being seduced by her headmaster or slipped a pregnancy pill.

It's like reading about teenage military leaders such as Joan of Arc or Alexander the Great or Muhammad Bin Qasim, and comparing them to children being recruited by county lines drug gangs today and asking if our morals today are better because we don't let children join gangs .

If a literary critic started wondering whether Joan of Arc was capable of consenting to going to war under today's standards, and claiming today's morality is superior, my response would be: "who cares whether teenagers such as Joan of Arc or Alexander the Great would have been allowed to go to war under today's moral standards. The days of teenagers raising armies, fighting in battles and conquering people have long gone so that kind of activity would be frowned upon now. But when they did it, it seems quite remarkable."

The Bible story is not about any random teenager but about a specific individual, Mary, who is considered exceptional. In the story Mary is being told about an important cause or future event and asked to play an important part. Being pregnant seems less risky and arduous than going to war, and it isn't problematic for me that despite being under-age by today's standards, people in the distant past were willing to endanger their lives for important causes.

Actually, even relatively recently teens have been willing to risk their lives for a cause:  https://listverse.com/2017/06/13/top-10-remarkable-teenagers-of-world-war-ii/.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2499832/Sidney-Lewis-Youngest-WW1-soldier-fought-Somme-aged-13.html

In the Bible story, there seems very little similarity between Mary and a vapid snowflake 14 year old today, whose ambitions probably run to earning likes on social media and becoming an influencer. You kept characterising Mary as some strange combination of a meek Palestinian servant girl and an average 14 year old today. I didn't make that same assumption when I read the story - I thought the story was conveying that Mary was an exceptional young woman. 

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #508 on: December 24, 2022, 11:59:37 PM »
Vlad,

Relevance? If someone invented a pregnancy pill and slipped it into your daughter’s drink without her knowledge such that she then became pregnant you’d be ok with that then would you, what with there being “no physical contact here let alone sexual contact” and all?

Sending the archangel Gabriel is hardly the equivalent slipping a pill unbeknownst to a person. That must put you in the running for the worst analogy of 2023 even if it still is 2022.

Happy Christmas.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #509 on: December 25, 2022, 04:15:32 AM »

Happy Christmas everyone!

I guess everyone is convinced that religions have indeed succeeded which is why the discussion has digressed into an elaborate one about consent and such other.... :)

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #510 on: December 25, 2022, 01:53:08 PM »

Happy Christmas everyone!

I guess everyone is convinced that religions have indeed succeeded which is why the discussion has digressed into an elaborate one about consent and such other.... :)

I guess you really shouldn't speak for anyone but yourself.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #511 on: December 26, 2022, 12:39:52 PM »
VG,

See above - I said if she was under-age for the time the story was set then it would have been wrong for her to be impregnated.

That’s not the point. The point is that if she’d be underage by current standards then either current standards are wrong, or the god character was wrong.                       

See above - I said we disagreed on the word "will" in the story. You read it as Mary not having a choice to say no, I don't read it that way.

Well, it’s hard to read much ambiguity into “will”, but again that’s not the point. You essayed an alibi of no sexual contact being involved, and I merely gave you an analogous example (the pill slipped into a drink) to show you that the sexual act part isn’t key – the non-consensual impregnation (by whatever means) part is.       

Disagree for reasons already given about the interpretation of the word "will" and Mary not being under-age for the time period, Mary had capacity to say no and other options as considering yourself a servant of God is a voluntary choice and does not mean you have to obey God - you're not a robot and theists who consider themselves servants of God break rules all the time, including teenage theists now and centuries ago in Palestine.

Gee whizz. Look, on the basis of deduction made from what the story does tell us, underage by current standards is probabilistically the case. If the Mary character was an outlier probabilistically though, then the underage component of Mary’s non-consent - but only that component of Mary’s non-consent – would fall away. You’d still though have the epic power relationship differential to deal with that, even on its own, would make valid consent by current standards impossible.

Covered above - I read it that Mary had a choice whether to go along with God's plan.

Hardly, but in any case the “pregnancy pill” thought experiment was just to demolish your notion that a non-sexual act aspect of impregnation would get the god character off the hook.

It doesn’t. Not one bit. 

And I keep explaining to you people who consider themselves servants of God don't do what they think God would like them to do. It happens a lot, including amongst teens.

You’re still not getting it. It’s the mere fact of the massive power differential that’s enough to make impossible valid consent, no matter what speculations you might make about how the Mary character may have responded to it.

See above - don't agree that the god character fails the criteria for valid consent for reasons given,

See above for why you’re wrong about that.

Try to remember that I keep explaining to you that people who consider themselves servants of God don't do what they think God would like them to do. It happens a lot, including amongst teens. So not much asymmetric power dynamic going on if you can just ignore what you think God wants and do what you want instead.

Oh dear. The story has an all-powerful, universe-creating god on one side and a (likely) underage 1st century Palestinian servant girl on the other. That’s the mother of all asymmetric power relationships. That alone is enough to make valid consent impossible by current standards, no matter what guesses you want to make about what the Mary character may have thought about that.

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #512 on: December 26, 2022, 04:16:16 PM »
VG,

Even in terms of literary criticism, I find your comparison of Mary to a 14 year old today extremely odd, especially the comparison to a 14 year old who is being seduced by her headmaster or slipped a pregnancy pill.

It's like reading about teenage military leaders such as Joan of Arc or Alexander the Great or Muhammad Bin Qasim, and comparing them to children being recruited by county lines drug gangs today and asking if our morals today are better because we don't let children join gangs .

If a literary critic started wondering whether Joan of Arc was capable of consenting to going to war under today's standards, and claiming today's morality is superior, my response would be: "who cares whether teenagers such as Joan of Arc or Alexander the Great would have been allowed to go to war under today's moral standards. The days of teenagers raising armies, fighting in battles and conquering people have long gone so that kind of activity would be frowned upon now. But when they did it, it seems quite remarkable."

It’s as if I’d made the same argument several times and yet you still haven’t understood a word of it. Yet again then…

…the comparison ISN’T between the character Mary in the story and a 14-year-old today. It’s between the supposedly morally good behaviour of the character “god” as described in the story and the how we’d view that god's behaviour with modern sensibilities.

Please try to understand this. I’m not sure I can explain it to you any more clearly.     

The Bible story is not about any random teenager but about a specific individual, Mary, who is considered exceptional. In the story Mary is being told about an important cause or future event and asked to play an important part. Being pregnant seems less risky and arduous than going to war, and it isn't problematic for me that despite being under-age by today's standards, people in the distant past were willing to endanger their lives for important causes.

Actually, even relatively recently teens have been willing to risk their lives for a cause:  https://listverse.com/2017/06/13/top-10-remarkable-teenagers-of-world-war-ii/.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2499832/Sidney-Lewis-Youngest-WW1-soldier-fought-Somme-aged-13.html

Whoosh! Seriously though?

Again... it’s quite possible that the Mary of the story behaved in a way that she believed to be morally good. After all, and all-powerful and all-knowing god had told her what would happen to her, so who was she to disobey right?   

All good so far? OK then…

...the POINT though isn’t Mary’s actions – it’s the decision of the supposedly morally perfect god character to behave in a way that meant that, by current standards, Mary could not have given valid consent.   

In the Bible story, there seems very little similarity between Mary and a vapid snowflake 14 year old today, whose ambitions probably run to earning likes on social media and becoming an influencer. You kept characterising Mary as some strange combination of a meek Palestinian servant girl and an average 14 year old today. I didn't make that same assumption when I read the story - I thought the story was conveying that Mary was an exceptional young woman.

Groan…

God

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #513 on: December 26, 2022, 06:44:11 PM »
BHS

You haven't made an argument. You have repeatedly made various assertions. Instead of you repeatedly asserting that valid consent is impossible, why don't you demonstrate this with an example of a modern day case, where someone who isn't underage consented to doing something legal, and the courts found there wasn't valid consent because of a power differential.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #514 on: December 26, 2022, 10:51:43 PM »
VG,

That’s not the point. The point is that if she’d be underage by current standards then either current standards are wrong, or the god character was wrong.                       

Well, it’s hard to read much ambiguity into “will”, but again that’s not the point. You essayed an alibi of no sexual contact being involved, and I merely gave you an analogous example (the pill slipped into a drink) to show you that the sexual act part isn’t key – the non-consensual impregnation (by whatever means) part is.       

Gee whizz. Look, on the basis of deduction made from what the story does tell us, underage by current standards is probabilistically the case. If the Mary character was an outlier probabilistically though, then the underage component of Mary’s non-consent - but only that component of Mary’s non-consent – would fall away. You’d still though have the epic power relationship differential to deal with that, even on its own, would make valid consent by current standards impossible.

Hardly, but in any case the “pregnancy pill” thought experiment was just to demolish your notion that a non-sexual act aspect of impregnation would get the god character off the hook.

It doesn’t. Not one bit. 

You’re still not getting it. It’s the mere fact of the massive power differential that’s enough to make impossible valid consent, no matter what speculations you might make about how the Mary character may have responded to it.

See above for why you’re wrong about that.

Oh dear. The story has an all-powerful, universe-creating god on one side and a (likely) underage 1st century Palestinian servant girl on the other. That’s the mother of all asymmetric power relationships. That alone is enough to make valid consent impossible by current standards, no matter what guesses you want to make about what the Mary character may have thought about that.
A lot of if in your argument Hillside.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #515 on: December 27, 2022, 11:45:18 AM »
Vlad,

Sending the archangel Gabriel is hardly the equivalent slipping a pill unbeknownst to a person. That must put you in the running for the worst analogy of 2023 even if it still is 2022.

You’re using the “pill rebuttal” of one bad argument (“but there was no sex involved, therefore impregnation fine”) in relation to the different bad argument “but god sent an angel first to tell Mary what would happen to her, so all fine” as if the Headmaster sending the PE teacher to tell the pupil that she’d be impregnated by the Headmaster made it ok when it happened.   

Bad idea.   

A lot of if in your argument Hillside.

Not really, and in any case that’s how Lit Crit and thought experiments work.

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #516 on: December 27, 2022, 11:48:23 AM »
VG,

You haven't made an argument.

You’re still not getting it. I don’t have to make an argument for a sufficiently asymmetric power relationship making valid consent impossible. I don’t even have to agree with that proposition. All I have to show is that that’s what contemporary Western ethics says. Here for example:

Consent cannot be given by individuals who are underage, intoxicated or incapacitated by drugs or alcohol, or asleep or unconscious. If someone agrees to an activity under pressure of intimidation or threat, that isn’t considered consent because it was not given freely. Unequal power dynamics, such as engaging in sexual activity with an employee or student, also mean that consent cannot be freely given” (emphasis added).

https://www.rainn.org/articles/what-is-consent

Broadly incidentally unequal power dynamics like this fall under the heading “structural coercion” – essentially the decisions of the actors are considered a second order issue to the structural context in which they are made. Just as the schoolgirl in the headmaster case might protest “but I really love him and want his child”, it’s the headmaster/pupil power dynamic that invalidates her "consent" nonetheless.   

You have repeatedly made various assertions. Instead of you repeatedly asserting that valid consent is impossible, why don't you demonstrate this with an example of a modern day case, where someone who isn't underage consented to doing something legal, and the courts found there wasn't valid consent because of a power differential.

And the confusion continues…

… you’re conflating (again) ethics and morality with legal proceedings. To go back to our pupil/headmaster case, if the pupil was underage then the headmaster would be fired and prosecuted for having sex with a minor. If she was over the age of consent though he’d still be fired for behaving unethically (and likely in breach of contract), he wouldn’t be prosecuted because there’s no law against it.     

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #517 on: December 27, 2022, 12:36:08 PM »
Vlad,

You’re using the “pill rebuttal” of one bad argument (“but there was no sex involved, therefore impregnation fine”) in relation to the different bad argument “but god sent an angel first to tell Mary what would happen to her, so all fine” as if the Headmaster sending the PE teacher to tell the pupil that she’d be impregnated by the Headmaster made it ok when it happened.   

Bad idea.   

Not really, and in any case that’s how Lit Crit and thought experiments work.
Your analogy remains a bad one, analogising a furtive drink spiker with someone sending the singing telegram to end all singing telegrams. Your post ignores verse 38 where Mary gives consent.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 12:38:10 PM by Walt Zingmatilder »

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #518 on: December 27, 2022, 12:45:24 PM »
VG,

Whoosh! It's as if you haven't read a single word I've been saying. Your attempt at 'either or' is wrong. The option you keep missing is that both standards could be right for the time and circumstances in which they were adopted. Currently UK society's preference is 16 so that is right for now. In 5 years time, depending on the situation, UK society might prefer the standard to be 14 yrs like Germany is currently or 18 years like Saudi is currently, so either of those would be the right standard for 5 years time. 

In the time the story is set, we assume the standard was right for that society. What is morally right can change according to the situation and circumstances. I don't know why you are finding it hard to grasp this.                   

Well, it’s hard to read much ambiguity into “will”, but again that’s not the point.
No it's easy because language is ambiguous and the meaning changes depending on the context in which a word is used. Mary's response of saying 'let it happen' can be read as permission or consent.

Have you noticed there is a transgender debate going on, where there is lots of ambiguity about the word "woman" and that is a noun. The verb "will" is more ambiguous than a noun. Despite being repeatedly asked you have yet to show how using the verb "will" to indicate a future event, means the God character cannot change the course of the future if Mary does not want to become pregnant. Some women on becoming pregnant may decide to terminate the pregnancy, but the story does not give any indication that Mary considered doing this.

Your argument seems to be to assert that Mary did not have the capacity to consent to any action she thought would serve God because any decisions, actions, behaviour by theists based on their belief in the concept of an omnipresent, omnipotent etc supernatural entity is evidence of theists being either unduly influenced or are in a coercively controlling relationship with God. You can certainly assert that all theists are being unduly influenced or in coercively controlled relationships with God, but as yet that characterisation of theist belief has not been adopted as a current moral value by Western society. In any court case on consent, the CPS would have to present evidence or testimony to demonstrate lack of valid consent - without evidence of undue influence or coercion, people in authority do not automatically assume there is not valid consent. So when you keep referring to the current modern Western standard of morality, what is that you think you are referring to that you think would apply in the story of Mary and God?

Are there any statements by Mary in the story indicating she did not want to take part in the pregnancy but did so because she was not brave enough to say no to God?

You have made an assumption about gods ruling theists through fear or undue influence, yet the reality is that there are so many theists that do not obey the rules of their gods. So is there anything actually attributed to the Mary character in the story to indicate she agreed to the pregnancy out of fear or was unduly influenced?

Only if it can be demonstrated that a person consented out of fear or from coercion. 

You will be demonstrating evidence that modern Western society has adopted this as a moral belief I assume?

I assume that you will be providing evidence that this is what British juries have decided about consent in court cases rather than just asserting it?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 12:48:46 PM by Violent Gabriella »

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #519 on: December 27, 2022, 01:06:29 PM »
VG,

You’re still not getting it. I don’t have to make an argument for a sufficiently asymmetric power relationship making valid consent impossible. I don’t even have to agree with that proposition. All I have to show is that that’s what contemporary Western ethics says. Here for example:

Consent cannot be given by individuals who are underage, intoxicated or incapacitated by drugs or alcohol, or asleep or unconscious. If someone agrees to an activity under pressure of intimidation or threat, that isn’t considered consent because it was not given freely. Unequal power dynamics, such as engaging in sexual activity with an employee or student, also mean that consent cannot be freely given” (emphasis added).

https://www.rainn.org/articles/what-is-consent

Broadly incidentally unequal power dynamics like this fall under the heading “structural coercion” – essentially the decisions of the actors are considered a second order issue to the structural context in which they are made. Just as the schoolgirl in the headmaster case might protest “but I really love him and want his child”, it’s the headmaster/pupil power dynamic that invalidates her "consent" nonetheless.

And the confusion continues…

… you’re conflating (again) ethics and morality with legal proceedings. To go back to our pupil/headmaster case, if the pupil was underage then the headmaster would be fired and prosecuted for having sex with a minor. If she was over the age of consent though he’d still be fired for behaving unethically (and likely in breach of contract), he wouldn’t be prosecuted because there’s no law against it.     
You have linked to an article that asserts that where a person has sex with an employee there would not be valid consent. You are also bringing up sexual relations between a headmaster and an over-age pupil. In the story about Mary, there is not a sexual relationship so do you have any evidence of any other act, other than sex, where consent is invalidated by the person being an employee or pupil , in the absence of any actual evidence of coercion or undue influence in the relationship?   

Even if we do look at sexual acts, and even if you want to assert that a theist's relationship with God is similar to an employer/ employee relationship, do you have any evidence that in the absence of a complaint by an employee or any evidence of coercion, that modern society considers that consent is automatically invalidated in any sexual activity with an employee?   

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #520 on: December 27, 2022, 02:42:46 PM »
Vlad,

Your analogy remains a bad one, analogising a furtive drink spiker with someone sending the singing telegram to end all singing telegrams.

See my last reply for where you’ve gone wrong about this.

Again: the “furtive drink spiker” was just in relation to your (frankly bizarre) notion that, if no sex is involved, then the impregnation part is fine. I just explained to you with a thought experiment that non-sexual impregnation (ie, the drink spiker) wouldn’t make the impregnation fine at all. Not even close.

As for sending the envoy to tell the Mary character what would happen to her, that’s a different matter entirely and in any case would no more make it ok than the headmaster sending the PE teacher along first to tell the pupil that the headmaster will father her child.

Your post ignores verse 38 where Mary gives consent

Yes, because that was long since addressed and dispensed with. If the pupil said, “but I wanted to carry his child” would that get the headmaster off the hook in your view? Why not?

« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 05:03:20 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #521 on: December 27, 2022, 03:58:20 PM »
VG,

Whoosh! It's as if you haven't read a single word I've been saying.

Is it your playtime already?

Your attempt at 'either or' is wrong. The option you keep missing is that both standards could be right for the time and circumstances in which they were adopted. Currently UK society's preference is 16 so that is right for now. In 5 years time, depending on the situation, UK society might prefer the standard to be 14 yrs like Germany is currently or 18 years like Saudi is currently, so either of those would be the right standard for 5 years time.

In the time the story is set, we assume the standard was right for that society. What is morally right can change according to the situation and circumstances. I don't know why you are finding it hard to grasp this.

FFS. No I don’t. I don’t “keep missing” that at all. In fact I agree with it: the moral standards of 1st century Palestine felt right to them, and the moral standards of the 21st century West especially feel right to us.

Please tell me that you can see that I acknowledge this, and have done so throughout?

OK, good. Once again: THAT’S NOT THE BLOODY POINT THOUGH!!!

The point isn’t about a comparison of two different time- and place-specific moral positions at all; it’s about a comparison between one time-and place-specific moral position (ours) AND THE ACTIONS OF A MORALLY PERFECT GOD CHARACTER.

Please though. Seriously. I can’t be expected to correct you on this again. This is a plainly as I can explain the point to you – if you fail to grasp it again, I just can’t help you.                       

No it's easy because language is ambiguous and the meaning changes depending on the context in which a word is used. Mary's response of saying 'let it happen' can be read as permission or consent.

No, that kind of linguistic relativism just make any discussion of texts impossible. You’re special pleading “will” possibly to mean “might” or some such with no rationale to support you (eg other texts when “will” didn’t mean will) and if you want to go down that road nonetheless I could equally say the same of any other word whose implications I happened not to like. ““God knows everything” you say? Well maybe “everything” could really mean “nothing”, therefore…” etc.   

Have you noticed there is a transgender debate going on, where there is lots of ambiguity about the word "woman" and that is a noun. The verb "will" is more ambiguous than a noun. Despite being repeatedly asked you have yet to show how using the verb "will" to indicate a future event, means the God character cannot change the course of the future if Mary does not want to become pregnant. Some women on becoming pregnant may decide to terminate the pregnancy, but the story does not give any indication that Mary considered doing this.

See above. Have you noticed that there are very few debates about the ambiguity between “banana” and “breeze block”? You can’t just select one example of terminological debate and retro-fit that phenomenon to any other term because it suits you to do so. If you want to claim that the “will” in the story doesn’t really mean “will” after all, then you need to make an argument for that on its own terms – perhaps with reference to later texts when the meaning changed. Your problem here though is that there aren’t any.     

Your argument seems to be to assert that Mary did not have the capacity to consent to any action she thought would serve God because any decisions, actions, behaviour by theists based on their belief in the concept of an omnipresent, omnipotent etc supernatural entity is evidence of theists being either unduly influenced or are in a coercively controlling relationship with God. You can certainly assert that all theists are being unduly influenced or in coercively controlled relationships with God, but as yet that characterisation of theist belief has not been adopted as a current moral value by Western society. In any court case on consent, the CPS would have to present evidence or testimony to demonstrate lack of valid consent - without evidence of undue influence or coercion, people in authority do not automatically assume there is not valid consent. So when you keep referring to the current modern Western standard of morality, what is that you think you are referring to that you think would apply in the story of Mary and God?

It's not my argument – it’s what the ethical guidelines say, and moreover it has nothing to do with “theists being unduly influenced”. The current standards is that consent can't be valid when the power difference between the actors is sufficiently great to invalidate it necessarily. Examples given are teacher/pupil, employer/employee though the power differential between the actors in the Bible story are of course unfathomably greater than those.   

Are there any statements by Mary in the story indicating she did not want to take part in the pregnancy but did so because she was not brave enough to say no to God?

Irrelevant - see above.

You have made an assumption about gods ruling theists through fear or undue influence, yet the reality is that there are so many theists that do not obey the rules of their gods. So is there anything actually attributed to the Mary character in the story to indicate she agreed to the pregnancy out of fear or was unduly influenced?

No I haven’t – I’ve just told you (with a link) what the current standard is concerning the impossibility of valid consent in some structural contexts. That’s it. Nothing more, nothing less. Please try to grasp this – I can’t keep saying it over and over in the hope it finally sinks in. 

Only if it can be demonstrated that a person consented out of fear or from coercion.

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!

You will be demonstrating evidence that modern Western society has adopted this as a moral belief I assume?

Yes. You can look it up for yourself too though. 

I assume that you will be providing evidence that this is what British juries have decided about consent in court cases rather than just asserting it?

No, because the moral Zeitgeist has fuck all to do with what British juries have decided. How many times do I have to explain to you the difference between moral standards and forensics? Really though...

You have linked to an article that asserts that where a person has sex with an employee there would not be valid consent. You are also bringing up sexual relations between a headmaster and an over-age pupil. In the story about Mary, there is not a sexual relationship so do you have any evidence of any other act, other than sex, where consent is invalidated by the person being an employee or pupil , in the absence of any actual evidence of coercion or undue influence in the relationship?

I did wonder whether you’d make that mistake, and sure enough as night follows day you went straight down the rabbit hole. No, I don’t have examples of ethics guidelines that deal with supernatural impregnation. Why do you suppose that is? Could it be:

A. Because supernatural impregnation is fine no matter the context so there’s no need for guidelines that set out circumstances in which it’s not fine; or

B. Because supernatural impregnation isn’t a thing?

Gee whizz – its genuinely hard to tell when you post something like this whether you’re trolling or just not thinking. Are you seriously suggesting that, if ever supernatural impregnation did become a thing, the guideline wouldn’t be amended to include both types?     

Even if we do look at sexual acts, and even if you want to assert that a theist's relationship with God is similar to an employer/ employee relationship, do you have any evidence that in the absence of a complaint by an employee or any evidence of coercion, that modern society considers that consent is automatically invalidated in any sexual activity with an employee?

Yes - read the guidelines I linked to. If you don’t like those ones, there are plenty of others online too. Try reading up on structural coercion too. Again, it’s the fact of the context that nullifies the possibility of valid consent, not the decisions and actions of the individuals involved.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 05:05:25 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #522 on: December 27, 2022, 06:07:13 PM »
Vlad,

See my last reply for where you’ve gone wrong about this.

Again: the “furtive drink spiker” was just in relation to your (frankly bizarre) notion that, if no sex is involved, then the impregnation part is fine. I just explained to you with a thought experiment that non-sexual impregnation (ie, the drink spiker) wouldn’t make the impregnation fine at all. Not even close.

As for sending the envoy to tell the Mary character what would happen to her, that’s a different matter entirely and in any case would no more make it ok than the headmaster sending the PE teacher along first to tell the pupil that the headmaster will father her child.

Yes, because that was long since addressed and dispensed with. If the pupil said, “but I wanted to carry his child” would that get the headmaster off the hook in your view? Why not?
You have yet to show minority. The text shows maturity.
You have yet to demonstrate invalid consent due to power relationship.
Violent Gabriella clearly has the march on your continual piss poor analogies.
I don't think you can avoid legal aspects or that moral zeitgeist drives western morality.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #523 on: December 27, 2022, 06:13:17 PM »
Vlad,

ou have yet to show minority.

No I don’t. I just have to deduce it from the context, and even if the deduction is “wrong” the other grounds for non-consent remain.

The text shows maturity.

Where?

You have yet to demonstrate invalid consent due to power relationship.

Not true. By current ethical standards valid consent would have been impossible.

Violent Gabriella clearly has the march on your continual piss poor analogies.

Very funny.

I don't think you can avoid legal aspects...

Wrong again. Being unfaithful to your spouse for example is generally considered immoral, but there’s no law against it.

...or that moral zeitgeist drives western morality

What?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 07:10:42 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #524 on: December 27, 2022, 07:21:52 PM »
VG,

Is it your playtime already?
It seems my playtime coincides with your playtime. What a coincidence. Isn't it time for your milk-break?

FFS. No I don’t. I don’t “keep missing” that at all. In fact I agree with it: the moral standards of 1st century Palestine felt right to them, and the moral standards of the 21st century West especially feel right to us.

Please tell me that you can see that I acknowledge this, and have done so throughout?

OK, good. Once again: THAT’S NOT THE BLOODY POINT THOUGH!!!

The point isn’t about a comparison of two different time- and place-specific moral positions at all; it’s about a comparison between one time-and place-specific moral position (ours) AND THE ACTIONS OF A MORALLY PERFECT GOD CHARACTER.

Please though. Seriously. I can’t be expected to correct you on this again. This is a plainly as I can explain the point to you – if you fail to grasp it again, I just can’t help you.
Again, as I have said before, not seeing the problem with what the God character did. No matter how many times you explain it, we'll have to agree to disagree on whether the God character's morals were wrong.                       

No, that kind of linguistic relativism just make any discussion of texts impossible. You’re special pleading “will” possibly to mean “might” or some such with no rationale to support you (eg other texts when “will” didn’t mean will) and if you want to go down that road nonetheless I could equally say the same of any other word whose implications I happened not to like. ““God knows everything” you say? Well maybe “everything” could really mean “nothing”, therefore…” etc.   
If you find discussion impossible because other people do not interpret language the same way you do, I guess that means you are going to find some discussions on here are going to be impossible for you.

See above. Have you noticed that there are very few debates about the ambiguity between “banana” and “breeze block”? You can’t just select one example of terminological debate and retro-fit that phenomenon to any other term because it suits you to do so. If you want to claim that the “will” in the story doesn’t really mean “will” after all, then you need to make an argument for that on its own terms – perhaps with reference to later texts when the meaning changed. Your problem here though is that there aren’t any.
You are the person making the claim that "will" can only mean the God character is unable or unwilling to change course. You're welcome to assert that but why not support it with evidence?       

It's not my argument – it’s what the ethical guidelines say, and moreover it has nothing to do with “theists being unduly influenced”. The current standards is that consent can't be valid when the power difference between the actors is sufficiently great to invalidate it necessarily. Examples given are teacher/pupil, employer/employee though the power differential between the actors in the Bible story are of course unfathomably greater than those.   
You were going to provide evidence that an employer cannot have a relationship with an employee because consent will always automatically be invalid.

No I haven’t – I’ve just told you (with a link) what the current standard is concerning the impossibility of valid consent in some structural contexts. That’s it. Nothing more, nothing less. Please try to grasp this – I can’t keep saying it over and over in the hope it finally sinks in. 
One link to an organisation making an assertion on the internet is not convincing evidence. Do you have any evidence of an actual moral consensus relating to a sexual or non-sexual act where consent is not valid because of an employer- employee relationship? And I am not talking about supernatural pregnancies. I just said a non-sexual act. 

Yes. You can look it up for yourself too though. 
It's your argument that an employer-employee sexual or non-sexual relationship is automatically structural coercion - it's up to you to provide the evidence that this is the current Western moral standard. No point telling me to look it up - why would I?

No, because the moral Zeitgeist has fuck all to do with what British juries have decided. How many times do I have to explain to you the difference between moral standards and forensics? Really though...
You need to provide evidence of what the moral zeitgeist is. One link to someone else's assertion isn't evidence of a modern Western moral zeitgeist on structural coercion.

I did wonder whether you’d make that mistake, and sure enough as night follows day you went straight down the rabbit hole. No, I don’t have examples of ethics guidelines that deal with supernatural impregnation. Why do you suppose that is? Could it be:

A. Because supernatural impregnation is fine no matter the context so there’s no need for guidelines that set out circumstances in which it’s not fine; or

B. Because supernatural impregnation isn’t a thing?

Gee whizz – its genuinely hard to tell when you post something like this whether you’re trolling or just not thinking. Are you seriously suggesting that, if ever supernatural impregnation did become a thing, the guideline wouldn’t be amended to include both types?
I did not mention supernatural pregnancies.     

Yes - read the guidelines I linked to. If you don’t like those ones, there are plenty of others online too. Try reading up on structural coercion too. Again, it’s the fact of the context that nullifies the possibility of valid consent, not the decisions and actions of the individuals involved.

I did read your link. It contained an unevidenced assertion about consent in the case of a sexual relationship with an employee. Posting someone else's unevidenced assertion about having sex with an employee is no different to posting your own unevidenced assertion. Do you have any actual evidence of a moral consensus on structural coercion whereby consent is invalidated in a sexual relationship between employer and employee?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 07:26:31 PM by Violent Gabriella »