Author Topic: Religions have succeeded  (Read 65617 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Religions have succeeded
« Reply #550 on: December 29, 2022, 02:22:34 PM »
He allows the natural forces which shape us without continual intervention. There is no malice about this 0n the part of nature and human error. The root of us considering these things to be bad is what i’d Call the separation of communion...with selves, with life, with loved ones, with community and with God. Before the fall this separation was not a thing merely a transition. For reasons given above. These are often down to the workings of natural forces although leukaemia and berth defects have also been down to man made sources. And here we get on to real evil and where moral realism and stories of the fall are imho a better explanatory than moral relativism. In this respect then Humanists have a harder time justifying the intrinsic goodness of mankind It looks as though I am more apt to distinguish deliberate human evil and natural evil and human error than your bundling of all evil.
If I could have stopped the Moors Murders, I would have. Your god, in your fucked beliefs, could have chosen to stop it and didn't. That makes it culpable for the child rapes and torture. And you worship it for it.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #551 on: December 29, 2022, 02:49:11 PM »
If I could have stopped the Moors Murders, I would have. Your god, in your fucked beliefs, could have chosen to stop it and didn't. That makes it culpable for the child rapes and torture. And you worship it for it.
I rather think your post makes you culpable of letting Brady and Hindley off the hook.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #552 on: December 29, 2022, 02:53:34 PM »
I rather think your post makes you culpable of letting Brady and Hindley off the hook.
There appears no evidence for the first three words in your post

Enki

« Reply #553 on: December 29, 2022, 03:42:09 PM »
He allows the natural forces which shape us without continual intervention. There is no malice about this 0n the part of nature and human error. The root of us considering these things to be bad is what i’d Call the separation of communion...with selves, with life, with loved ones, with community and with God. Before the fall this separation was not a thing merely a transition.

Even the good Samaritan in your own holy book didn't turn away from helping. I suppose it's one rule for humans, but another for God.  Maybe He had much more pressing things to consider than the fallout from a mere tsunami even though He had set up all the conditions for it to happen. Responsibility is obviously not a word that He takes very much notice of, at least when it comes to His own machinations, that is.

For reasons given above. These are often down to the workings of natural forces although leukaemia and berth defects have also been down to man made sources.

The natural forces which were created by this God, I believe. However, yet again that embarrassing word 'responsibility' seems to play no part in his moral framework, except for others, of course.

And here we get on to real evil and where moral realism and stories of the fall are imho a better explanatory than moral relativism. In this respect then Humanists have a harder time justifying the intrinsic goodness of mankind

I'm not trying to justify 'the intrinsic goodness of mankind', that's a strawman of your own making. I'm suggesting that the bottom line is that, according to the God of the omnis, He created Myra Hindley and Ian Brady. He knew what they were like, He knew what they would do and did nothing about it. Whether supposed free will was given to humans or not, he bears full and ultimate responsibility. At the very least, according to all the pronouncements of the love He is supposed to show towards humanity, this was a dereliction of duty on his part.

It looks as though I am more apt to distinguish deliberate human evil and natural evil and human error than your bundling of all evil.

Notice, the one thing that is absent in all these examples and the billions of other examples I could have given, is that, according to you, He accepts no responsibility and hence takes no action to put right or obviate such things that most people would call 'bad'. I wonder why? certainly your responses, for me, fall into the category of 'epic fail'.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Maeght

« Reply #554 on: December 29, 2022, 06:22:57 PM »
But surely it is here that we run into the various atheist views of what is bad. Is evil not a thing, is evil in the opinion of the beholder or what? A similar problem occurs with what we mean by love in the term all loving, where it is clear that it’s not clear cut like defining say,  omnipresence.

Evil isn't a thing as in an entity but it can have those associations hence the reluctance sometimes to use it as a term to mean very bad things. Evil probably is in the eye of the beholder - those doing really bad things mostly don't think of them as such. I have no idea what all loving means to be honest.

Maeght

« Reply #555 on: December 29, 2022, 06:25:15 PM »
He allows the natural forces which shape us without continual intervention. There is no malice about this 0n the part of nature and human error. The root of us considering these things to be bad is what i’d Call the separation of communion...with selves, with life, with loved ones, with community and with God. Before the fall this separation was not a thing merely a transition. For reasons given above. These are often down to the workings of natural forces although leukaemia and berth defects have also been down to man made sources. And here we get on to real evil and where moral realism and stories of the fall are imho a better explanatory than moral relativism. In this respect then Humanists have a harder time justifying the intrinsic goodness of mankind It looks as though I am more apt to distinguish deliberate human evil and natural evil and human error than your bundling of all evil.

Can't see how your stories are a better explanation.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #556 on: December 29, 2022, 06:48:42 PM »
I wouldn't say I worship God for it. More accurate to say I worship God despite the lack of intervention. 
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #557 on: December 29, 2022, 06:55:41 PM »
I wouldn't say I worship God for it. More accurate to say I worship God despite the lack of intervention.
and yet you worship God for what it does. It allows child rape and torture. You worship it for that.

Maeght

« Reply #558 on: December 29, 2022, 07:16:02 PM »
Does God answer prayers? If so, will intervene if asked enough or in the right way. Is that right?

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #559 on: December 29, 2022, 08:07:56 PM »
and yet you worship God for what it does. It allows child rape and torture. You worship it for that.
As I said - I wouldn't say I worship God for it. More accurate to say I worship God despite the lack of intervention.
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #560 on: December 29, 2022, 08:09:34 PM »
Does God answer prayers? If so, will intervene if asked enough or in the right way. Is that right?
No idea. Prayer helps me though.

Maeght

« Reply #561 on: December 29, 2022, 08:52:59 PM »
No idea. Prayer helps me though.

In what way?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #562 on: December 29, 2022, 08:55:49 PM »
As I said - I wouldn't say I worship God for it. More accurate to say I worship God despite the lack of intervention.
You worship a god for choosing pain.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #563 on: December 29, 2022, 09:31:53 PM »
In what way?
I think I have described it before on here. I feel calmer, happier, it increases my sense of self-discipline so I am more productive, helps focus my thoughts, change my perspective if something is upsetting me or if I am worried about something. If I am angry with someone I feel less annoyed after I pray and able to let the issue go without making a big deal about it.

Twice I remember feeling really upset and in emotional pain but felt it was pointless trying to talk to anyone about it and when I prayed (I wasn't expecting prayer to help but I figured I would give it a try) I felt an instant release - best way I can describe it is like the scene in Towering Inferno when the water tanks were blown up and water suddenly cascaded down though the building and extinguished the fire almost instantaneously. 

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #564 on: December 29, 2022, 09:34:43 PM »
You worship a god for choosing pain.
As I said before I wouldn't say it was for it. It's probably more accurate to say I worship God despite it. 

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #565 on: December 29, 2022, 09:56:21 PM »
As I said before I wouldn't say it was for it. It's probably more accurate to say I worship God despite it.
And yet your god chooses it and you worship your god.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #566 on: December 29, 2022, 11:41:04 PM »
And yet your god chooses it and you worship your god.
Yes - as I said earlier I don't claim to know why pain is part of the process of reacting and adapting for relatively complex organisms or why pain needs to be part of injury, illness or dying and therefore part of living. Physical and emotional pain seems to be something to be endured and to cope with and adapt to. If there is a point to it, not sure what it is, and it doesn't make it any less unpleasant.

Having been an atheist, I don't remember it changing anything - almost everyone still feels pain, natural disasters still happen, babies still die of cancer or are murdered, some people still treat others horrendously. Not clear what your point is - my worship or lack of worship doesn't alter the levels of pain and suffering in the rest of the world.   

Having experienced some pain, I just try to be aware that I can consciously choose from the range of impulses I have and could therefore choose how I treat others, including how I react to my pain and the pain of others. I probably make the wrong choices a lot of the time and there were probably better choices I could have made on many occasions. But I find it helpful to know that I have a choice in how I react and that I can learn and improve. I have not had to face real hardship and suffering so I have no idea what it is like and can't comment on those people who have faced it and who still find strength and comfort from their religious faith. I find religious faith helps me, with the relatively minor hardships I have had to go through.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #567 on: December 30, 2022, 04:24:29 AM »
I think I have described it before on here. I feel calmer, happier, it increases my sense of self-discipline so I am more productive, helps focus my thoughts, change my perspective if something is upsetting me or if I am worried about something. If I am angry with someone I feel less annoyed after I pray and able to let the issue go without making a big deal about it.

Twice I remember feeling really upset and in emotional pain but felt it was pointless trying to talk to anyone about it and when I prayed (I wasn't expecting prayer to help but I figured I would give it a try) I felt an instant release - best way I can describe it is like the scene in Towering Inferno when the water tanks were blown up and water suddenly cascaded down though the building and extinguished the fire almost instantaneously.

Yes...it does feel like a waterfall suddenly extinguishing all anxiety..... It can also be experienced as a feeling of love. It comes from ones inner self when the ego self is down.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #568 on: December 30, 2022, 08:47:56 AM »
Even the good Samaritan in your own holy book didn't turn away from helping. I suppose it's one rule for humans, but another for God.  Maybe He had much more pressing things to consider than the fallout from a mere tsunami even though He had set up all the conditions for it to happen. Responsibility is obviously not a word that He takes very much notice of, at least when it comes to His own machinations, that is.
To answer your post I shall be writing from what I believe. First of all who is it who tells us about the Good Samaritan?It is the second person of the trinity incarnate as Jesus. The Good Samaritan exemplifies the highest in how moral a person can act.
Jesus is God identifying with humanity in the most comprehensive way possible...in a human life and he in turn takes the moral line of laying down his life, in his case, for humanity.

God of course does not need to do this of course and an evil God would delight in the chaos,misery, death and futility of existence. But of course the universe isn’t like that.

The natural forces which were created by this God,
And it is these forces which have given us life and what we do have and our potential to share that. I wonder if you aren’t moved by your prophet Richard Dawkins when he declares the wonder of existing at all or Carl Sagan’s widow when she talks about the kindness of chance. I disagree with the provider here but if you are going to blame God for bad chance then you must credit him with good chance.
]However, yet again that embarrassing word 'responsibility' seems to play no part in his moral framework, except for others, of course.
Jesus takes sin and it’s ultimate consequences upon himself. That is more practical than taking responsibility which is what Boris Johnson did and Matt Hancock has done

I'm not trying to justify 'the intrinsic goodness of mankind', that's a strawman of your own making. I'm suggesting that the bottom line is that, according to the God of the omnis, He created Myra Hindley and Ian Brady. He knew what they were like, He knew what they would do and did nothing about it. Whether supposed free will was given to humans or not, he bears full and ultimate responsibility. At the very least, according to all the pronouncements of the love He is supposed to show towards humanity, this was a dereliction of duty on his part.
  God, and especially in Christ has done his duty, he has created a universe which works, he has, through the universe, created a humanity free to love and restored the freedom to love God

Notice, the one thing that is absent in all these examples and the billions of other examples I could have given, is that, according to you, He accepts no responsibility and hence takes no action to put right or obviate such things that most people would call 'bad'. I wonder why? certainly your responses, for me, fall into the category of 'epic fail'.
The universe and human existence a failure? Hopefully, now you have received some of what was missing from your picture of God.
But if you feel you must continue with what is basically not an atheist argument you need to take this up with God.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 08:51:49 AM by Walt Zingmatilder »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #569 on: December 30, 2022, 08:58:41 AM »
Can't see how your stories are a better explanation.
They get to the crux of the issue without kicking things into the long grass or explaining things away or steering things away from self examination imho.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #570 on: December 30, 2022, 11:47:44 AM »
VG,

The conversation has moved on so briefly only now:

And I responded that god's behaviour could have been morally right for that situation, and our behaviour could be morally right for now. I also asked you the question as to why you thought that the morals of the god character in that story need to be aligned with the morals of humans today. Unless you are claiming that morals should not change depending on the situation and circumstances and/or that human moral behaviour in their interactions with other humans should be the same as the morality of the god character.

No – if, say, current moral thinking is that not preventing unnecessary suffering is wrong, then by that standard it’s wrong whether it happened now or 2,000 years ago. There’s no magic factor that would make, say, giving brain cancer to babies wrong now but just fine at some time previously.         

You can assert that it has a plain meaning but others disagree with you. You have provided no evidence to show that your meaning is the only possible meaning. Oh well. Guess we'll have to keep agreeing to disagree.

Wrong again. Dictionaries for example describe the standard usage of words, including the word “will” – if you want to “interpret” that word differently then it’s you job to justify your different meaning. When you can’t do that (and you can’t) you just go nuclear on any argument because anyone can say they “interpret” a word differently from their interlocuter’s use of the word, so their argument fails. Hence: “I interpret the word “orbit” differently to you, therefore your argument that the Earth orbits the Sun is wrong” etc.

Either justify your “interpretation” of “will” meaning something other than “will”, or give up the assertion.         

The angel has not said God cannot change course. So once again we just have your interpretation of the meaning of the words in the story that is different from the meanings other people have interpreted. You have provided no evidence to show that your meaning is the only possible meaning. Oh well. Guess we'll have to keep agreeing to disagree.

The “angel” of the story told Mary what “will” happen, that what “will” happen is “God’s word” and that “God’s word” is “unfailing”. My “interpretation” of these words is just their standard use – if you still want to play your get out of jail free card of absolute linguistic relativism – ie, just claiming without justification to “interpret” any way that suits you any word you find inconvenient – you just collapse any possibility of discourse even in principle. “It gets dark at night time” you say? No, you’re wrong about that because I “interpret” “dark”, “night time” etc differently from you albeit with no justification at all.

Can you see the problem you create here?   

All you put in bold was someone else's assertion on the internet, which is no more convincing than if you asserted it. If one organisation's assertion from the internet is your idea of evidence of a currently accepted moral standard, I can see why you are struggling to make your case. There are so many surveys online where people say that they not only had relationships with employees, but think work is the place where many people meet their partners, that I can't even be bothered to link to them. The advice online is that employers should have policies in relation to relationships in order to protect the business in case it gets sued for sexual harassment or discrimination if things go wrong or the relationship creates a conflict of interest. Not sure what policy civil servants are required to follow in terms of relationships with colleagues or their managers. As you are so focused on the word "servant" it might be worth you checking if any civil servants have consented to relationships that, according to you, it is impossible to give valid consent for.

“Someone else’s assertion” is actually from the guidelines published by RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network), the largest anti-sexual violence organisation in the US. They operate a nationwide sexual assault hotline and work with more than 1,000 sexual assault service providers, and they provide sexual assault-related support to various Government agencies including the US Department of Defence. In the last 27 years RAINN have supported some 3.7. sexual assault survivors and their families. They’re the largest and best-regarded organisation oof this type that I could find.       

Oh, and if you want to use “assertion” pejoratively as part of your ad hom you should understand that that all ethical positions are to some degree “assertions”, albeit as here well-argued, widely accepted and practically implemented in many real world situations.   

No I don't know full well - in fact I completely disagree with you that employees are routinely let go for dating in the workplace. There are some companies that have this as a rule, but not a lot of companies. And the reason for these rules are to protect the business from a lawsuit.

What is not convincing, is you asserting there is a moral consensus but not being able to provide evidence of a moral consensus.

We're not talking about a headmaster as you said the moral standard applied even when people were not under-age.

The ”moral consensus” is documented in guidelines, academic articles, workplace policies and the like that have been widely adopted across Western democratic societies. Of course they’re not applied universally and consistently – workplace ethics especially is a constantly developing field; just think of the different dates that smoking in offices was banned for example – but it’s nonetheless nonsense to suggest that the consensus doesn’t exist at all.         

No you haven't - you linked to one organisation online that made an assertion and told me to Google structural coercion. That's rubbish in terms of evidence to support your assertions. You spend lots of time on here telling other people how evidence works, I suggest you school yourself on the basics of evidence.

Wrong again – se above. Its apparent that you will dismiss without grounds as “rubbish” any evidence that falsifies your beliefs, so what’s the point of asking for it in the first place?   

What you're doing here is misrepresenting me because you can't come up with evidence that there is an accepted moral standard that you will be fired for dating in the workplace. If there were so many links to so many guidelines and so much evidence of people losing their jobs merely for dating, you presumably could have done better than linking to one US organisation that just asserted the same claim as you. And as I keep saying, if there were a few companies that have terminated employment just for dating, it was to protect the business from potential future lawsuits.

Not “fired for dating” – action will be taken (sometimes including firing, but not always when another solutions are available) when the power relationship means that valid consent is deemed  not to be possible. Not every company, school, hospital etc will do this (at least not yet) but those that have adopted the guidelines they think most appropriate will. That at some tine in the past you may have had experience of a company that didn’t do this is irrelevant, just as my once knowing a company that still allowed smoking in the office is irrelevant.         

Why even look at pregnancies at all - it isn't illegal or exploitative to get pregnant. The issue that might make a pregnancy problematic is the issue of consent. Why not come up with any act that isn't intrinsically illegal or exploitative to demonstrate your claims about valid consent in an employer / employee relationship.

Oh dear. It’s not that the “act” is “intrinsically illegal or exploitative”, it’s that the context in which it happens makes it intrinsically illegal or exploitative.       

Not true. I was asking for evidence for the Western standard you claimed existed about consent. Especially the one that you linked to which said "Unequal power dynamics, such as engaging in sexual activity with an employee... also mean that consent cannot be freely given." All I see when I look at media reports is lots of discussion and disagreement about consent - was there valid consent to puberty blockers or other medical procedures or relationships, discussions about children consenting to non-therapeutic circumcision, whether the age of consent should be lowered etc etc

Why are you doing this to yourself? You seem to have no awareness of how badly out of your depth you are but as you’d simply copy and paste a “no you are” reply I see no point in telling you why. “Western standards” about these matters are developing and, as always, their real world implementation follows behind – and it sometimes does so fitfully and inconsistently too. We’ve come a long way since the days of women being expected to resign when they became pregnant for example, but denying that change was happening just because it took a while is stupid.       
"Don't make me come down there."

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #571 on: December 30, 2022, 11:53:38 AM »
VG,

That’s nice for you. I Imagine that members of the Hitler Youth got a lot from all that camping and free sailing too.

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #572 on: December 30, 2022, 12:17:44 PM »
Vlad,

If atheists are saying there is something wrong with theist explanations on the problem of evil then we are entitled to ask why…

Because certain theists claim a god who knows everything, can do anything and is infinitely good but yet horrible things often happen to good people. 

…and how atheists think theists are wrong.

They’re “wrong” inasmuch as observable reality and their “god of the omnis” claims contradict each other.

In terms of making a challenge on the grounds of God of the Omnis there is a clear category error made by atheists when they use the same methodology for all loving as they do for say omniscience or omnipresence. I wonder if you can spot the issue here.

No. If your god could prevent unnecessary suffering, why doesn’t he?

If atheists have accepted the challenge then the claim we don’t have to....seems like a bit of arrogant bravado.

What “challenge”? Bad things happen to good people. That’s just what you’d expect to see in an indifferent, godless universe.

Until atheists tackle the aforementioned category issue they have answered nothing.

You mentioned it, but you didn’t tell us what you think it is. And atheists don’t need to “answer” anything here – if you think there’s something called “evil”  that causes bad things to happen to good people then it’s your job to tell us why your god of the omnis doesn’t prevent it.     
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 12:20:27 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #573 on: December 30, 2022, 12:36:52 PM »
VG,

The conversation has moved on so briefly only now:

No – if, say, current moral thinking is that not preventing unnecessary suffering is wrong, then by that standard it’s wrong whether it happened now or 2,000 years ago. There’s no magic factor that would make, say, giving brain cancer to babies wrong now but just fine at some time previously.
Define "unnecessary" and "suffering", given what you perceive as "unnecessary suffering" could be viewed differently by someone else. So what "unnecessary suffering" are you talking about?       

Wrong again. Dictionaries for example describe the standard usage of words, including the word “will” – if you want to “interpret” that word differently then it’s you job to justify your different meaning. When you can’t do that (and you can’t) you just go nuclear on any argument because anyone can say they “interpret” a word differently from their interlocuter’s use of the word, so their argument fails. Hence: “I interpret the word “orbit” differently to you, therefore your argument that the Earth orbits the Sun is wrong” etc.

Either justify your “interpretation” of “will” meaning something other than “will”, or give up the assertion.         

The “angel” of the story told Mary what “will” happen, that what “will” happen is “God’s word” and that “God’s word” is “unfailing”. My “interpretation” of these words is just their standard use – if you still want to play your get out of jail free card of absolute linguistic relativism – ie, just claiming without justification to “interpret” any way that suits you any word you find inconvenient – you just collapse any possibility of discourse even in principle. “It gets dark at night time” you say? No, you’re wrong about that because I “interpret” “dark”, “night time” etc differently from you albeit with no justification at all.

Can you see the problem you create here?
I can see you still seem to be having a problem with how the English language works and grasping that all of the above is just your interpretation of a story.

I can say that you will stop making  unevidenced assertions and poor attempts at arguments about the word "will" and then you can still come along and try to assert that your interpretation of the use of English is the only possible interpretation, despite all the evidence of how the word "will" is commonly used in the English language. 

Or I could say that we will agree to disagree about the interpretation of the nativity story to give you a chance to see we're going round and round in circles and stop posting on this point as we're clearly never going to agree, and when you decide to continue with your unevidenced assertions, I could decide to respond to your response with my own claim.

Do you see now how the word "will" can be used when writing English?

So the angel can say what "will" happen but if God then wills it not to happen, it won't happen.

“Someone else’s assertion” is actually from the guidelines published by RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network), the largest anti-sexual violence organisation in the US. They operate a nationwide sexual assault hotline and work with more than 1,000 sexual assault service providers, and they provide sexual assault-related support to various Government agencies including the US Department of Defence. In the last 27 years RAINN have supported some 3.7. sexual assault survivors and their families. They’re the largest and best-regarded organisation oof this type that I could find.
This is an argument from authority. Some actual evidence for your/ their assertion that there can be no valid consent in an employer /employee sexual relationship would be more convincing.

Oh, and if you want to use “assertion” pejoratively as part of your ad hom you should understand that that all ethical positions are to some degree “assertions”, albeit as here well-argued, widely accepted and practically implemented in many real world situations.   

The ”moral consensus” is documented in guidelines, academic articles, workplace policies and the like that have been widely adopted across Western democratic societies. Of course they’re not applied universally and consistently – workplace ethics especially is a constantly developing field; just think of the different dates that smoking in offices was banned for example – but it’s nonetheless nonsense to suggest that the consensus doesn’t exist at all.         

Wrong again – se above. Its apparent that you will dismiss without grounds as “rubbish” any evidence that falsifies your beliefs, so what’s the point of asking for it in the first place?   

Not “fired for dating” – action will be taken (sometimes including firing, but not always when another solutions are available) when the power relationship means that valid consent is deemed  not to be possible. Not every company, school, hospital etc will do this (at least not yet) but those that have adopted the guidelines they think most appropriate will. That at some tine in the past you may have had experience of a company that didn’t do this is irrelevant, just as my once knowing a company that still allowed smoking in the office is irrelevant.         

Oh dear. It’s not that the “act” is “intrinsically illegal or exploitative”, it’s that the context in which it happens makes it intrinsically illegal or exploitative.       

Why are you doing this to yourself? You seem to have no awareness of how badly out of your depth you are but as you’d simply copy and paste a “no you are” reply I see no point in telling you why. “Western standards” about these matters are developing and, as always, their real world implementation follows behind – and it sometimes does so fitfully and inconsistently too. We’ve come a long way since the days of women being expected to resign when they became pregnant for example, but denying that change was happening just because it took a while is stupid.       
Briefly then as the topic has moved on - no evidence for your assertion about a Western consensus on the issue of there being no valid consent. Ok.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #574 on: December 30, 2022, 12:52:00 PM »
VG,

That’s nice for you. I Imagine that members of the Hitler Youth got a lot from all that camping and free sailing too.
Not sure what camping and sailing have to do with introspection, but given your other juvenile comments at least you're nothing if not predictable.

I imagine the Hitler Youth also enjoyed making unevidenced assertions that commonly used words and sentences only had one meaning - theirs.