Author Topic: Religions have succeeded  (Read 65587 times)

The Accountant, OBE, KC

Re: Religions have succeeded
« Reply #600 on: December 31, 2022, 01:27:34 PM »
Thanks. I guess I see prayer as being something different. But since I don't pray, who am I to comment :)
Sorry - missed this. How do you see prayer?

Prayer would be experienced in different ways by different people and would also feel different at different times so anyone can comment. Prayer can be made up of multiple elements. My mind has various different thoughts during prayer. 
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

Maeght

« Reply #601 on: December 31, 2022, 02:53:45 PM »
Sorry - missed this. How do you see prayer?

Prayer would be experienced in different ways by different people and would also feel different at different times so anyone can comment. Prayer can be made up of multiple elements. My mind has various different thoughts during prayer. 

No problem.

The Cambridge Dictionary says prayer is 'the act or ceremony of speaking to God or a god, esp. to express thanks or to ask for help, or the words used in this act' and I must say my view was more about the asking for help element - hence my initial question about prayers being answered.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #602 on: December 31, 2022, 06:44:41 PM »
No problem.

The Cambridge Dictionary says prayer is 'the act or ceremony of speaking to God or a god, esp. to express thanks or to ask for help, or the words used in this act' and I must say my view was more about the asking for help element - hence my initial question about prayers being answered.
That has always been my view - effectively that prayer (except in a colloquial sense) is directed towards a god - so it isn't the same as meditation or earnestly and deeply thinking about something or someone.

Hence you are in my 'thoughts and prayers' - they aren't the same thing, the latter is directed to god, the former isn't.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #603 on: December 31, 2022, 07:11:07 PM »
That has always been my view - effectively that prayer (except in a colloquial sense) is directed towards a god - so it isn't the same as meditation or earnestly and deeply thinking about something or someone.

Hence you are in my 'thoughts and prayers' - they aren't the same thing, the latter is directed to god, the former isn't.
What do you mean by 'colloquial' here? Having been brought up RC, the rosary is very mucg meditative. As was the 40 Hours adoration.

Enki

« Reply #604 on: December 31, 2022, 07:11:41 PM »
It seems to me that you are taking two lines here. A traditional atheist God as big man line and The God of the omnis line. Did you see my reply to Bluehillside regarding the omnis. Firstly these two approaches are contradictory since God cannot be just a huge superman and the God of the omnis at the same time.

No, I made it clear from my first post(540)that I was talking about the God of the omnis and again in post 543("If one believes in a god of the omnis then it's up to that person to explain how or why this god allows bad things to happen in the world, not me."), a point which was made abundantly clear in Blue's post to Sriram(534) and to which you replied to in post 538. Whether God is supposed to be a 'big man' is neither here nor there. So, no contradiction at all. Yes, I read your response to Blue(578) but if you are saying that He isn't a God of the omnis, then I have no argument. He would therefore be subject to the laws of nature and his omnibenovolence would be subject to same. However, that would make Him a rather limited God and would bring up the question of what exactly it is that He can do.

Jesus crucifixion an act of hypocrisy? Why does Jesus die?so we can all have eternal life.So our deaths are not permanent either in terms of not being resurrected or us perpetually dying.
Also he takes on, in his death, the sins of the world. You may not believe Jesus has done these things but if you ignore them in your account of Christianity, you are merely making a caricature.

I didn't say that Jesus's cruxifixion was an act of hypocrisy. What I did say was this:"If Jesus is identifying with humanity, as you believe, it seems to be a case of pure hypocrisy and callousness. He has deliberately made himself human in order to show compassion on a human scale but as God He isn't prepared to do anything on the scale which really matters." The idea of the resurrection, rather the cruxifixion, is only an adjunct to this.

And you seem to have no answer to the point I raised that a God of the omnis allows universal suffering and misery to be part of His plan whilst putting Himself on this earth in human form as a person of perfect moral character. Whether or not Jesus takes on the sins of the world and offers us redemption, the point still stands.

But this is a caricature since God wants to adopt us into his family and welcome us to eternal life with him as exemplified in the parable of the prodigal son. No murderer can take that offer from a person, neither natural disaster.

And yet, this God is quite prepared to allow suffering and misery to go on undiluted. Sorry, I don't find that convincing.

Our potential is only fulfilled when we have been restored to our original design intent or to put it another way it can only be restored once the image of God in us is restored.

That is according to you and your beliefs. I disagree. Any child that dies has been denied his full potential in this world and that's good enough for me. A God of the omnis denies this to some of His creations.

I, on the other hand feel gratitude for the God given processes that give life and. Make a world and for the promise in Revelations for the new heaven and earth and the life to come made possible for us by God in Jesus. Once again you may not believe it but if you exclude it from your account of Christianity then your account is a caricature.

I'm sure you do, but simply because I don't go along with your beliefs doesn't mean I am caricaturising God. How is feeling awe and wonder at the natural world caricaturising God?  How is not believing in any god, including yours, caricaturising any god? How, assuming God has decided the process, is showing that chance can have bad results as well as good results(you brought up the chance idea), caricaturising God?

It’s easy to overlook a paragraph like this as being an actual exoneration of wrong doing. As far as the consequences of sin is concerned we will not find that out until the judgment. If none are saved then it has been a failed exercise and who knows, some May successfully win their rebellion against God and successful reject Gods adoption of them. Again Jesus died and was resurrected so we can die and be resurrected to eternal life. And of course any account of Christianity must include this if it is not to be a caricature.

From my point of view, if one accepts on the idea of 'sin' in human beings, then the God of the omnis is ultimately responsible for this. From my moral standpoint, if this God doesn't accept this, then the idea of the God of the omnis fails and the whole idea needs putting in the rubbish bin. If your idea of morality is different to mine and you also believe in a God of the omnis, then, of course, you will strongly disagree with me. I have no problem with this at all.

Has God made a mistake who is to judge. That seems to be God as big man thinking

If you mean that no one is able to judge whether this God made a mistake, I would disagree. A God of the omnis is incapable of making a mistake, hence anything He does must be deliberate. Other than that I haven't a clue what you mean by 'big man thinking'.

Ah, the God of the omnis
Firstly, The God of the omnis is the God as constructed or envisaged by the Greek philosophers and I think the God of theology is slightly different Anselm introduces us to a God who is maximal rather than “Omni” in short, God doesn’t do the impossible.
But let’s look at the omnis
Omnipotent This mean God does what he likes so there can be no validity to statements such as if God we’re all powerful, he would do this or that
Omnipresent. No problem here
Omniscient If he is in all places at all times then why wouldn’t he know everything.
Omnibenevolent. It is not for us to know what enormously Good plan he has for a universe like ours we do know what Christ’s life death and resurrection promise us.

I'm not suggesting that God does the impossible such as producing a squared circle. However if human beings can eradicate such a disease as small pox, then a God of the omnis could have done the same, or even better, not allowed it at all.
I simply say if a God of the four omnis exists then the whole idea seems to fail because he has created a world where bad things happen. Alternatively, If we do not know what God's good plan of our universe is, why does He not tell us then so that we can use our own mental abilities to judge whether we agree with Him or not. In the absence of such information I am inclined to make my own judgements and hence I come to the conclusion that either He is not an omnibenevolent God, or that He is something lesser or in the absence of any evidence for His presence, He doesn't exist at all. It is no secret which one I favour.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #605 on: January 01, 2023, 11:14:59 AM »
What do you mean by 'colloquial' here?
When people say thing like:

'They haven't got a prayer' to mean they haven't got a hope. Or when people use 'pray' merely to indicate something that they want badly, but with no actually prayer to god intended - 'I was really praying that we pulled a goal back before half time'.

Having been brought up RC, the rosary is very mucg meditative. As was the 40 Hours adoration.
Having not been brought up RC I've no idea what the rosary really entails - but I guess by the definition it would need to be directed to god to be a prayer. If it is purely personally meditative and with not direction to god then it wouldn't really be a prayer. Of course things can be both - i.e. personally reflective and meditative but also directed towards god.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #606 on: January 01, 2023, 11:51:23 AM »
VG,

It's not just me interpreting the words differently from you. It's a common theme in language that words can have different interpretations. Whether you want to accept this or not is up to you.

I don’t agree that it’s “a theme in language that words can have different interpretations” because I interpret the words “theme”, “language” and “different” differently from you. What’s that you say? “But to take a valid position on that you must also justify specifically why you interpret those words differently from their standard definitions”? Oh no no no – I can just ignore that problem, and instead keep making the same broad statement about some words sometimes changing their meanings over time as if that somehow gets me off the hook.

That is how this works right?

Oh wait, sorry – I forgot the snide little straw man at the end: ...whether you want to accept this or not is up to you.

There you go – job done.

On the other hand, you could I suppose stop deflecting and instead finally just tell us how you would justify your different interpretation of the god character’s use of “will” so we’d know that wishful thinking isn’t all you have after all. What’s stopping you?   

So nothing to do with Mary and the nativity story then? No claims of unnecessary suffering there?

No, nothing at all to do with Mary – do you suppose though that that may just have something to do my with answering the question you actually asked me in the context of the problem of evil and a god of the omnis (ie, “Define "unnecessary" and "suffering", given what you perceive as "unnecessary suffering" could be viewed differently by someone else. So what "unnecessary suffering" are you talking about?”) rather than in the context of the previous exchanges about Mary? 

You really have no shame at all have you.

Regarding the brain cancer, I have already said that I don't know why pain is part of the human experience for babies or adults. We could have all developed in a way where no one will feel pain ever but we haven't. One way I can look at it is that maybe there is some point to the pain or reason for it that I can't appreciate. Another way of looking at is to not believe in a god of the omnis. Given I do believe in a god of the omnis, I'll have to go with the first option.

Yes, you don’t have much choice about that – it’s a common piece of theistic casuistry to hand wave the problem away with “it’s a mystery”, “god knows best”, “that way, the babies get to meet god sooner” etc so you’re not alone in tying yourself in increasingly Gordian knots to explain why unnecessary suffering is part of god’s plan rather than just what you’d expect to see if there was no god at all (or at least not a theistic one). You might want to consider Occam’s razor about now though…       

Stop lying. You haven't made any arguments that undo me. You have made some assertions that you can't support with evidence though.

Just responding to someone identifying your lying with “stop lying” doesn’t work. What you could try instead though is finally to try at least to deal with the arguments you’re given: why not finally for example tell us why you think “will” doesn’t mean “will” after all, or perhaps try something other than an ad hom to dismiss with no arguments at all the ethical guidelines of a respected organisation working extensively in the field whose policies have been adopted by various government agencies?   

You are really struggling here with the common use and understanding of the word "will", which is that it is a prediction of a future event and that someone's prediction can change after being expressed. A large part of Christian/ Muslim/ Jewish religious teachings is that we will be held accountable for our choices, as opposed to behaviour being inevitable because people have no choice https://prayray.com/god-gives-freedom-choice-prayer/

So not sure what you mean by "inevitable" when you say that an "inevitable future event" is the only meaning of "will". I am surprised that I need to explain this to you and actually provide a link to a dictionary, since this is common usage. I thought you were just being difficult.

It does not need to be "inevitable" as you seem to be interpreting it - as in 'can never ever change once uttered'. The word "will" combined with another verb could be the expression of a future intent or plan or prediction. An intent, plan or prediction that can change.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/will
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/will   

If you want to interpret "will" as  meaning an intent once uttered that can never be changed, that's up to you.

Er, aren’t you forgetting something here? The “will” of the Bible story wasn’t said by some ordinary Joe who might have changed his mind later on or who overslept or who was just shooting the breeze. It was said (so we’re told) by an Angel who was passing on the unfailing message of an omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent god. What are you suggesting here – that a god who knows everything past, present and future might have changed his mind later on so when “He” "unfailingly" said “will” he actually meant something like, “with a bit of luck it might happen, but hey you can’t expect me to be unfailing about that because I’m only human after all not a god and, you know, new information might turn up that… oh no, wait a minute though…”?

This is the same mistake you made earlier on in this thread by the way re the god character’s morality (“morality changes over time” etc), forgetting that “god” is supposed to be morally perfect already – ie, precisely not changing over time (“Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change” James 1:17).   

Perhaps if it would help you if you give your head a wobble about now?

I didn't realise that we in the UK were now looking to the US for guidance on morality - do you also advocate introducing the ownership of  guns into the UK?

I guess when all you’ve got left is to attack the provenance of the evidence then all you can do it to attack the provenance of the evidence right? The only argument I had to substantiate though was that these standards exist at all and are followed – which I did. I don’t have to substantiate the content of the guidelines themselves, nor do I even have to agree with them. And having shown you that they do exist, the question you endlessly deflect from remains: do you find the morality of the guidelines or the morality of the god character to be better?     

It seems I now also have to correct you on what the term "argument from authority" means.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority

https://proofed.co.uk/writing-tips/fallacies-arguments-from-authority/

So, how do you avoid arguments from authority? The simple answer is to always focus on evidence. If someone is known as an ‘authority’ in a certain subject area, that’s a great starting point. But you need to look at what they argue, not just who they are.

Oh dear. I set out clearly for you the fallacious and the non-fallacious use of the argument from authority – and if you’d bothered to read the articles you linked to you’d have seen the differences set out for you there too.

From the Wiki argument for example:

Some consider that it is used in a cogent form if all sides of a discussion agree on the reliability of the authority in the given context,[2][3] …”

I explained to you too that the argument can be sound when the expertise is relevant, but unsound when the expertise is not in the field about which the inductive claim of likely reliability is made, and hilariously your second link makes exactly this point for me too:

Isaac Newton was a great scientist and an alchemist, so we should take the discipline of alchemy seriously.

We would never deny that Newton was a great scientist. His work on gravity and optics? The boy done good. But Newton’s belief in alchemy doesn’t mean we can change lead into gold. To argue that this were possible, we would need evidence. And there is none.” 

Thanks for the citations that agree with me, but I’m pretty sure that wasn’t your intention right?   

Look, let me try to make it simpler for you: imagine (heaven forfend) that you were diagnosed with a life-threatening illness and were referred to a consultant for treatment advice. Would you:

A.Take that advice, perhaps seeking a second opinion too (note that word “opinion” rather than "evidence" here by the way) to be sure your consultant isn’t an outlier; or

B. Cancel the appointment, take a medical degree plus gain further academic qualifications, build a lab and undertake fundamental research of your own, have your results peer reviewed and published, commission a pharmaceutical company to design and manufacture from scratch the drugs you’d (re)discovered etc?

Or, to put it another way: would you accept the argument from authority as more likely true than not?

Can you see now what the non-fallacious use of the argument of authority actually looks like?   

You are really struggling with the concept of evidence despite the number of times I have had to school you on this. You even linked to an organisation's website that presented absolutely no evidence for its assertion about valid consent in employer / employee personal relationships and then doubled down on your fallacy by claiming that the size of the organisation and the work it has carried out means that its assertions about consent in an employer / employee relationship must be true, even if you can't present any evidence that society has implemented the assertion that "Unequal power dynamics, such as engaging in sexual activity with an employee mean that consent cannot be freely given" into policy norms at work.

I had a moment of hope when you claimed that this assertion has been widely adopted, in the US at least, that you were going to present some evidence of this but you seem to keep running away from linking to any actual evidence to prove that an employee's consent "cannot be freely given" has been widely adopted.

So, do you or do you not have an argument or evidence to support your above assertion?

If you do then tell us what it is; if you don’t, then all you have is wishful thinking. Your choice.   

I don't know why you are doing this to yourself or why you seem so unaware of how out of your depth you are but let me help you out. Why don't you email the organisation in the US that you linked to and ask them for evidence.

Such a shame that you have no grasp of irony – this collection of bad reasoning, straw men, false claims etc is an irony goldmine if you did but know it. Your epic, buttock-clenching, profoundly dim-witted mistake about continually demanding evidence and then (hysterically) claiming that someone else struggles with the concept is that you’re still looking down the wrong end of the telescope.     

The only evidence I needed to produce here is that ethics guidelines exist, that they are authored by authoritative sources, that they say what I say they say, and that they have significant real-world effect because they’ve been adopted (for example by the US Department of Defense). I did that. You could do that too if you could be bothered to try.

What I don’t have to provide “evidence” for though is the validity or otherwise of what those guidelines actually say. Why not? Because ethics as a discipline isn’t evidence apt. Really try to understand this because until you do you’re like a moth endlessly flying into a lightbulb no matter how many windows I open for you. You might for example agree with the moral statement “murder is wrong”. What though if every time you said it I replied like a demented speak your weight machine with “where’s your evidence?”, “where’s your evidence?”?

Again, really try to understand this – you can have reasoning and argument and gut feel for ethical positions until they’re coming out of your ears, but what you can’t have just as a matter of principle is evidence.             

I think that covers everything but I may have missed out one or two of your usual shtick.

Yes, you’ve got pretty much everything wrong again – see above.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 02:18:42 PM by bluehillside Retd. »
"Don't make me come down there."

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #607 on: January 01, 2023, 01:47:48 PM »
VG,

Uh no - I don't think NS said anything to me about worshipping a murdering thug god - you must be thinking of someone else.

In Reply 557 NS said to you:

“and yet you worship God for what it does. It allows child rape and torture. You worship it for that.”

To which you responded in Reply 559:

“As I said - I wouldn't say I worship God for it. More accurate to say I worship God despite the lack of intervention.”.

I believe NS's comments to me were along the lines of:

• The god I worship allows child rape and torture and chooses pain for humans when he could have chosen no pain - presumably meaning humans could not have pain receptors or be aware of pain and yet we do, so that's not very benevolent of the god I worship to not dispense with them

• And, given we have pain receptors, the god I worship chooses not to intervene when humans cause each other pain (Moors murderers) when an all-powerful god should intervene if it is benevolent.

Maybe so, though I’d have thought the point would be more to do with why babies are given and then permitted to die of brain cancer at all rather than why they have pain receptors for suffer needlessly when they do.

In any case though, your reply to NS’s was as I quoted it verbatim above: “As I said - I wouldn't say I worship God for it. More accurate to say I worship God despite the lack of intervention.”

You choose to prioritise your personal upside of praying to this (supposed) god over concerning yourself with its savagery, but we’re built differently about that kind of thing I suppose.       

Nope that was a response to Maeght who asked in what way prayer helps me, when I said I have no idea whether God answers prayers. Do try to keep up BHS. When I was responding to NS I quoted him in my replies.

In Reply 565 NS said:

“And yet your god chooses it and you worship your god.”

In your Reply 566 you ended with:

“I find religious faith helps me, with the relatively minor hardships I have had to go through.”

You also said something similar to Maeght, but I’ve kept up well enough thanks. 

My response to NS was "Having been an atheist, I don't remember it changing anything - almost everyone still feels pain, natural disasters still happen, babies still die of cancer or are murdered, some people still treat others horrendously. Not clear what your point is - my worship or lack of worship doesn't alter the levels of pain and suffering in the rest of the world."

And I finished my response to NS by saying that I try to do what I can to control my choices around inflicting pain on others. And that as I have not been through anything traumatic, I can't comment regarding people who have been through really traumatic experiences and seem to find comfort from their faith in a god of the omnis.

Does it not occur to you that NS’s point was what he said it was, and that your reply above just deflected from that? The point here wasn’t about your choices – it was about your (supposed) god’s choices (ie, not to interevene to prevent pain when he could), and about how you turn a blind eye to those choices because you enjoy what you perceive as the benefits to you of worshipping that god notwithstanding?   

Members of the Hitler Youth also made unevidenced assertions about the world and were convinced that only they were right and probably believed that if they just kept repeating their assertions that eventually those assertions would become convincing to other people - much like you on here it seems.

Even by your dismal standards that’s pathetic. You hand waved away the god you worship being a murderous thug by telling us how much better worshipping it makes you feel about yourself. I told you that that was analogous to a Hitler Youth member responding to a critique of Hitler by telling us about how much he enjoy the camping and sailing. You then fell apart by asking what camping and sailing have to do with introspection as if that was relevant to the analogy, so I corrected you by explaining how analogies work. And what did you do in reply? “OK, I get it now. Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me” perhaps? Oh no – you just ignored the point completely and instead went into a bizarre straw man rant – presumably in the hope that no-one would notice while you made good your escape.

So now you’ve had your hissy fit, can you see why the analogy works and why complaining that camping and sailing aren’t comparable to introspection missed the point entirely?               
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 02:14:52 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #608 on: January 02, 2023, 12:15:24 PM »

I didn't say that Jesus's cruxifixion was an act of hypocrisy. What I did say was this:"If Jesus is identifying with humanity, as you believe, it seems to be a case of pure hypocrisy and callousness. He has deliberately made himself human in order to show compassion on a human scale but as God He isn't prepared to do anything on the scale which really matters." The idea of the resurrection, rather the cruxifixion, is only an adjunct to this.
God hasn't done anything on a scale that really matters? But your scale that really matters is that which occurs without the need for a God. An atheist's perceived life if you will. Why should we accept the atheistic life is all that matters. It seems you are betting the house on it.
And you seem to have no answer to the point I raised that a God of the omnis allows universal suffering and misery to be part of His plan whilst putting Himself on this earth in human form as a person of perfect moral character. Whether or not Jesus takes on the sins of the world and offers us redemption, the point still stands.
But as I have tried to point out to you, the God of the omnis is the God constructed by philosophers, up to and including those atheist philosophers who constructed one that just happened to fail. That being said the flaw with that approach is that said people and their followers treated omnibenevolence in the same way as they treated omnipotence, omniscience. As if they could define omnibenevolence with precision or authority they can't of course and we are still left ourselves to decide which of these two is more benevolent. A world with laws of nature, moral free will. Complete divine identification with humanity and restoration in relationship with God...or a world without?
And yet, this God is quite prepared to allow suffering and misery to go on undiluted. Sorry, I don't find that convincing.
And that is the caricature of the universe as it is on which I believe the rest of your argument begins to fail. Suffering and misery in life are not undiluted for there is the slight issue of the Good in the universe
That is according to you and your beliefs. I disagree. Any child that dies has been denied his full potential in this world and that's good enough for me. A God of the omnis denies this to some of His creations.
Then we have to disagree because nobody's potential can be fulfilled until the image of God is fully restored, something this world can never offer and often denies a person but that doesn't leave callousness since the bible portrays God as giving his only son to death and resurrection which is biblically that which befalls us all. There may be a second more sinister implication to your statement here though since there is an unintentional implied exoneration of murder
I'm sure you do, but simply because I don't go along with your beliefs doesn't mean I am caricaturising God. How is feeling awe and wonder at the natural world caricaturising God?  How is not believing in any god, including yours, caricaturising any god?
I don't think I said it did, I said you may disagree but you shouldn't present a caricature of the God I believe in because you've rather ended up saddling ME with the God YOU don't believe in.
How, assuming God has decided the process, is showing that chance can have bad results as well as good results(you brought up the chance idea), caricaturising God?
Chance is not the only decider of things though, human and divine will are the others
From my point of view, if one accepts on the idea of 'sin' in human beings, then the God of the omnis is ultimately responsible for this.
Not sure that is true when free will is introduced since humanity is given responsibility. What you are saying is that is impossible and here we disagree
From my moral standpoint, if this God doesn't accept this, then the idea of the God of the omnis fails and the whole idea needs putting in the rubbish bin.
But as I have said the God of the omnis is the construction of the philosophers and was bound to fail...and fails in a way you haven't envisaged so I don't believe in the God of the omnis who is pre stymied by an expectation of doing the impossible and in his latter day incarnation, constructed to fail in any case

I'm not suggesting that God does the impossible such as producing a squared circle. However if human beings can eradicate such a disease as small pox, then a God of the omnis could have done the same, or even better, not allowed it at all.
I simply say if a God of the four omnis exists then the whole idea seems to fail because he has created a world where bad things happen. Alternatively, If we do not know what God's good plan of our universe is, why does He not tell us then so that we can use our own mental abilities to judge whether we agree with Him or not. In the absence of such information I am inclined to make my own judgements and hence I come to the conclusion that either He is not an omnibenevolent God, or that He is something lesser or in the absence of any evidence for His presence, He doesn't exist at all. It is no secret which one I favour.
But with the implicit exoneration of human evil in what you believe about God we have to question subconsciously why you and others and at one point myself favour it.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #609 on: January 02, 2023, 07:25:41 PM »
Vlad,

God hasn't done anything on a scale that really matters? But your scale that really matters is that which occurs without the need for a God. An atheist's perceived life if you will. Why should we accept the atheistic life is all that matters. It seems you are betting the house on it.

No-one says that you should accept that “an atheistic life is all that matters”. If your belief in your god or anyone else’s beliefs in their gods matter to them then so be it. That though tells you nothing about whether the objects of any of these beliefs are also real. 

But as I have tried to point out to you, the God of the omnis is the God constructed by philosophers, up to and including those atheist philosophers who constructed one that just happened to fail. That being said the flaw with that approach is that said people and their followers treated omnibenevolence in the same way as they treated omnipotence, omniscience. As if they could define omnibenevolence with precision or authority they can't of course and we are still left ourselves to decide which of these two is more benevolent. A world with laws of nature, moral free will. Complete divine identification with humanity and restoration in relationship with God...or a world without?

Nope. The “god of the omnis” (including omnibenevolence) is constructed by theists (philosophical or otherwise). Here for example:

https://www.gotquestions.org/God-omnibenevolent.html

They in turn draw for authority on the Bible. Here for example:

“Why do you call me good?” Jesus asked. “Only God is truly good.”

Mark 10:18 — New Living Translation (NLT)

It’s quite an ambitious effort though: “Reality contradicts the god that theists claim to exist therefore it’s the fault of atheist philosophers or some such that the theistic model doesn’t work.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0PPfZIi6B8

Hmmm...   

And that is the caricature of the universe as it is on which I believe the rest of your argument begins to fail. Suffering and misery in life are not undiluted for there is the slight issue of the Good in the universe

How exactly is, say, the suffering of families whose children are swept away in a tsunami “diluted” by your gran giving you a nice cheque for Christmas? 

Then we have to disagree because nobody's potential can be fulfilled until the image of God is fully restored, something this world can never offer and often denies a person but that doesn't leave callousness since the bible portrays God as giving his only son to death and resurrection which is biblically that which befalls us all. There may be a second more sinister implication to your statement here though since there is an unintentional implied exoneration of murder

Ooh and he’s played the fallacy of reification card again there. Nice move!

I don't think I said it did, I said you may disagree but you shouldn't present a caricature of the God I believe in because you've rather ended up saddling ME with the God YOU don't believe in.

There’s no knowing which version of “god” you believe in because you’re so inconsistent about that, but what you call a “caricature” seems to be broadly in line with mainstream Christian theology as I understand it (see link above for example)

...and divine will are the others

Whoa! He’s only going for a reification fallacy double here! Can we perhaps expect the hat trick to come?

Not sure that is true when free will is introduced since humanity is given responsibility. What you are saying is that is impossible and here we disagree

Just remind me how the misapplication of “free” will gives babies brain cancer again?

But as I have said the God of the omnis is the construction of the philosophers and was bound to fail...and fails in a way you haven't envisaged so I don't believe in the God of the omnis who is pre stymied by an expectation of doing the impossible and in his latter day incarnation, constructed to fail in any case

Leaving aside the incoherence of most of that, if you “don’t believe in a god of the omnis” then you’d better take it up with the mainstream Christians theologians who do. 

But with the implicit exoneration of human evil in what you believe about God we have to question subconsciously why you and others and at one point myself favour it.

Aw, and now he’s collapsed into total incoherence before he got the chance to score the reification fallacy hat trick! Such a shame that – I was quite looking forward to it.

Ah well. Next time perhaps…
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 07:40:10 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #610 on: January 02, 2023, 07:45:02 PM »
Vlad,

No-one says that you should accept that “an atheistic life is all that matters”. If your belief in your god or anyone else’s beliefs in their gods matter to them then so be it. That though tells you nothing about whether the objects of any of these beliefs are also real. 

Nope. The “god of the omnis” (including omnibenevolence) is constructed by theists (philosophical or otherwise). Here for example:

https://www.gotquestions.org/God-omnibenevolent.html

They in turn draw for authority on the Bible. Here for example:

“Why do you call me good?” Jesus asked. “Only God is truly good.”

Mark 10:18 — New Living Translation (NLT)

It’s quite an ambitious effort though: “Reality contradicts the god that theists claim to exist therefore it’s the fault of atheist philosophers or some such that the theistic model doesn’t work.”

Hmmm...   

How exactly is, say, the suffering of families whose children are swept away in a tsunami “diluted” by your gran giving you a nice cheque for Christmas? 

Ooh and he’s played the fallacy of reification card again there. Nice move!

There’s no knowing which version of “god” you believe in because you’re so inconsistent about that, but what you call a “caricature” seems to be broadly in line with mainstream Christian theology as I understand it (see link above for example)

Whoa! He’s only going for a reification fallacy double here! Can we perhaps expect the hat trick to come?

Just remind me how the misapplication of “free” will gives babies brain cancer again?

Leaving aside the incoherence of most of that, if you “don’t believe in a god of the omnis” then you’d better take it up with the mainstream Christians theologians who do. 
in factr
Aw, and now he’s collapsed into total incoherence before he got the chance to score the reification fallacy hat trick! Such a shame that – I was quite looking forward to it.

Ah well. Next time perhaps…
In my experience many of those presenting themselves as expert witnesses in God's morality are  moral relativists and when I read your post my first thought was ''oh no another one''and that was my second, third and fourth thought also. You show little evidence of knowing what mainstream theologians think.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #611 on: January 02, 2023, 07:59:15 PM »
Vlad,

In my experience many of those presenting themselves as expert witnesses in God's morality are  moral relativists and when I read your post my first thought was ''oh no another one''and that was my second, third and fourth thought also. You show little evidence of knowing what mainstream theologians think.

Must be exhausting for you – all that ducking and diving. So yet again you've had your efforts dismantled in front of your eyes, and yet again you haven't even tried to address the problem. Ah well - 'twas ever thus I suppose.

As for your, "You show little evidence of knowing what mainstream theologians think" I'd have thought linking to the pages where they tell you themselves what they think would have done that job well enough don't you think? 

God

Enki

« Reply #612 on: January 03, 2023, 02:46:31 PM »
God hasn't done anything on a scale that really matters? But your scale that really matters is that which occurs without the need for a God. An atheist's perceived life if you will. Why should we accept the atheistic life is all that matters.It seems you are betting the house on it.

On a scale of acting with compassion,He most certainly hasn't. Where Jesus did a few miracles, according to the gospels, humans have saved countless diabetic lives by dint of medical progress, something which a God of the omnis could have completely eradicated.

As I have already said, and to which my original post made clear, I am speaking of the God of the omnis. Wiki describes such a God thus:
"In monotheistic thought, God is usually viewed as the supreme being, creator, and principal object of faith.[1] God is typically conceived as being omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, and omnibenevolent, as well as having an eternal and necessary existence. God is often thought to be incorporeal, evoking transcendence or immanence."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God
If one is talking about any other type of God(e.g. one who is not omnipotent for instance) it's a whole new ballgame.

I didn't say that 'suffering and misery in life are not diluted'. I said that GOD is quite prepared to allow suffering and misery to go on undiluted. I made no mention, for instance, of what human beings may do to alleviate such suffering(which is considerable) but the bottom line is that there is no evidence of God doing anything.

We disagree indeed, because I am aware that a person's potential can only be achieved whilst they are alive. If I take your line that true potential can only be fulfilled when the image of God is fully restored and this is something which cannot happen in this world, then one has the clear problem of justifying why He put some humans on this earth to die in infancy needlessly, when they could have foregone any suffering and gone straight to heaven.

I don't think I am. I am simply point out the failings in the approach of the God of the omnis. And I refute the idea that I'm presenting a caricature of this God.  Also I can't possibly be saddling you with anything because, as I said, in a previous post, "but if you are saying that He isn't a God of the omnis, then I have no argument. He would therefore be subject to the laws of nature and his omnnbenovolence would be subject to same. However, that would make Him a rather limited God and would bring up the question of what exactly it is that He can do."

Chance is not the only decider of things though, human and divine will are the others

Indeed. I would not have brought up the whole idea of chance if you had not referred to it. I would simply say that for the God of the omnis, whatever happens is ultimately the responsibility of such a God.

Ah, the old free will get out. I would say that in the scenario of the God of the omnis it was God who decided to give us free will and consequentially He should take on responsibility for any effects that He disapproves of.

I agree completely. I would suggest that you address your misgivings to those who talk about the omnipotence and omniscience of God in the same breath as talking about his all loving perfect goodness. The state of this world suggests otherwise.

Nowhere have I exonerated human evil per se, but by its very nature that is what is suggested by the God of the omnis. Remember I don't believe in any god and, as I suggested in my opening post, I don't have the problem of explaining why 'evil' exists.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #613 on: January 03, 2023, 06:19:48 PM »
On a scale of acting with compassion,He most certainly hasn't. Where Jesus did a few miracles, according to the gospels, humans have saved countless diabetic lives by dint of medical progress, something which a God of the omnis could have completely eradicated.

As I have already said, and to which my original post made clear, I am speaking of the God of the omnis. Wiki describes such a God thus:
"In monotheistic thought, God is usually viewed as the supreme being, creator, and principal object of faith.[1] God is typically conceived as being omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, and omnibenevolent, as well as having an eternal and necessary existence. God is often thought to be incorporeal, evoking transcendence or immanence."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God
If one is talking about any other type of God(e.g. one who is not omnipotent for instance) it's a whole new ballgame.

I didn't say that 'suffering and misery in life are not diluted'. I said that GOD is quite prepared to allow suffering and misery to go on undiluted. I made no mention, for instance, of what human beings may do to alleviate such suffering(which is considerable) but the bottom line is that there is no evidence of God doing anything.

We disagree indeed, because I am aware that a person's potential can only be achieved whilst they are alive. If I take your line that true potential can only be fulfilled when the image of God is fully restored and this is something which cannot happen in this world, then one has the clear problem of justifying why He put some humans on this earth to die in infancy needlessly, when they could have foregone any suffering and gone straight to heaven.

I don't think I am. I am simply point out the failings in the approach of the God of the omnis. And I refute the idea that I'm presenting a caricature of this God.  Also I can't possibly be saddling you with anything because, as I said, in a previous post, "but if you are saying that He isn't a God of the omnis, then I have no argument. He would therefore be subject to the laws of nature and his omnnbenovolence would be subject to same. However, that would make Him a rather limited God and would bring up the question of what exactly it is that He can do."

Indeed. I would not have brought up the whole idea of chance if you had not referred to it. I would simply say that for the God of the omnis, whatever happens is ultimately the responsibility of such a God.

Ah, the old free will get out. I would say that in the scenario of the God of the omnis it was God who decided to give us free will and consequentially He should take on responsibility for any effects that He disapproves of.

I agree completely. I would suggest that you address your misgivings to those who talk about the omnipotence and omniscience of God in the same breath as talking about his all loving perfect goodness. The state of this world suggests otherwise.

Nowhere have I exonerated human evil per se, but by its very nature that is what is suggested by the God of the omnis. Remember I don't believe in any god and, as I suggested in my opening post, I don't have the problem of explaining why 'evil' exists.
Once you have blamed God for everything and you have then there is no further discussion to be had...That isn't my doing, it's yours.

Also it is difficult having a conversation with you as you flip flop between antitheistic arguments and atheist arguments of the oh well, I don't believe in God anyway variety. You present then as an atheist who is antigod.

Once again I feel I need to appeal to you...feel free to be an atheist but please don't saddle me with belief in a caricature God you have constructed either by commission or omission of attributes

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #614 on: January 03, 2023, 06:33:05 PM »
So restoring the link between Mankind and God, since Jesus is God is way down on the scale of compassion? And the lives saved by humans are down to humans but the bad things are down to God?

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #615 on: January 03, 2023, 08:07:26 PM »
VG,

I don’t agree that it’s “a theme in language that words can have different interpretations” because I interpret the words “theme”, “language” and “different” differently from you. What’s that you say? “But to take a valid position on that you must also justify specifically why you interpret those words differently from their standard definitions”? Oh no no no – I can just ignore that problem, and instead keep making the same broad statement about some words sometimes changing their meanings over time as if that somehow gets me off the hook

That is how this works right?

Oh wait, sorry – I forgot the snide little straw man at the end: ...whether you want to accept this or not is up to you.

There you go – job done.
Yes that is how it works. Finally you’ve managed to grasp that words can be interpreted differently. It took a while but we got there in the end.

I agree that it is up to me whether I want to accept that or not. If you find that a snide comment that’s up to you – there is no tone of voice on here so you can interpret whatever tone you like. I understand that since your style of posting on here is to mock people, you immediately interpret comments back to you as snide – it’s just a reflection of your own posting style.

On the other hand, you could I suppose stop deflecting and instead finally just tell us how you would justify your different interpretation of the god character’s use of “will” so we’d know that wishful thinking isn’t all you have after all. What’s stopping you?
Glad you have accepted the evidence from my links to online dictionaries that show the different meanings of “will” i.e. used with another verb to indicate future tense – a prediction.

Now that you have taken the first step of grasping that words in the English language can have multiple dictionary meanings and therefore stories are open to interpretation (something most students studying English at school have grasped by Year 6) we can move on to why I disagree with your interpretation.

I disagree based on reading the wide-ranging discussions amongst Muslims around the different meanings of a single verse in the Quran.  The text many people read is not in the original language but is based on the translation of the text from root words in Arabic. Arabic words have multiple meanings, which can change the sense of how a word is used in different contexts and especially idioms that may have been understood in the original language by the original audience may change their meaning over time or when they are translated for a different audience. I assume the same is true of translations of the Bible from Greek.

Yes, you don’t have much choice about that – it’s a common piece of theistic casuistry to hand wave the problem away with “it’s a mystery”, “god knows best”, “that way, the babies get to meet god sooner” etc so you’re not alone in tying yourself in increasingly Gordian knots to explain why unnecessary suffering is part of god’s plan rather than just what you’d expect to see if there was no god at all (or at least not a theistic one). You might want to consider Occam’s razor about now though…
I’m not tying myself into knots by saying I don’t know the reason for suffering. Scientists and philosophers have been saying ‘don’t know’ for centuries.

It’s an interesting question regarding pain and suffering, but there is no point in me claiming to know something that it would be impossible for me to know. As a theist I don’t claim to have a hotline to God to get the answers to perplexing questions about why suffering and pain is part of the complexity of the human physiology and psychology and the world we inhabit.

I could hazard a guess but given it could be wrong not really sure what the point is. For example, suffering and patience as well as gratitude for lack of suffering or for the small and big joys in life could be part of the theme in the Quran of human religious spirituality and faith being tested by God – it says you can be tested by pain and also tested by happiness and good fortune.

If you don’t believe in religious spirituality and dismiss faith in an unseen entity, then you will probably see this as nonsense or a concept that is sadistic or masochistic involving a murderous thug god. So some theists may see a spiritual purpose in the suffering and some atheists may see it as “unnecessary suffering”. Great that we've shared our different moral values on this topic, and agreed to disagree on this issue. If you want to disagree with my moral values using mockery and snide comments, that's fine with me - trading snide comments with you is just a game.   

Just responding to someone identifying your lying with “stop lying” doesn’t work.
Yes it does – and I suggest you stop lying that you “identified” me lying.
What you could try instead though is finally to try at least to deal with the arguments you’re given: why not finally for example tell us why you think “will” doesn’t mean “will” after all, or perhaps try something other than an ad hom to dismiss with no arguments at all the ethical guidelines of a respected organisation working extensively in the field whose policies have been adopted by various government agencies?
Oh and you were doing so well but now have regressed back to believing that only your interpretation of the word “will” is the correct one, despite the links to the online dictionary. I guess you can’t help what you believe, despite the evidence in the online dictionary that contradicts your belief that the only meaning of “will” is an inevitable action that cannot be altered.

As for your fallacious appeal to authority to bolster your claim that there is a modern Western consensus on consent, it doesn’t work.
Your claim of a moral consensus on consent, whether it is a modern Western variety or otherwise, has no evidence to support it. Forget a modern western consensus, there isn't even consensus among the people who work for the organisation that you linked to, regarding whether an employer fraternising with an employee means consent can never be freely given.

If you had just done what I instructed you to do and contacted the organisation you linked to, it would have helped you clear up some of your confusion and you wouldn't have ended up being humiliated on here.

You would have been told, as I was when I contacted RAINN, that these employer-employee situations are about morals, which are really hard and confusing sometimes;

and that the paragraph about consent on their website is just general guidance for visitors;

and that ultimately it is up to the 2 people in the relationship to communicate and define their experience and relationship, and that a relationship between an employer and employee could be appropriate and consensual;

and advised that employees should check the employing firm’s policy to see if there are any rules around fraternisation between employer and employee or a requirement to disclose the relationship.

Er, aren’t you forgetting something here? The “will” of the Bible story wasn’t said by some ordinary Joe who might have changed his mind later on or who overslept or who was just shooting the breeze. It was said (so we’re told) by an Angel who was passing on the unfailing message of an omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent god. What are you suggesting here – that a god who knows everything past, present and future might have changed his mind later on so when “He” "unfailingly" said “will” he actually meant something like, “with a bit of luck it might happen, but hey you can’t expect me to be unfailing about that because I’m only human after all not a god and, you know, new information might turn up that… oh no, wait a minute though…”?

This is the same mistake you made earlier on in this thread by the way re the god character’s morality (“morality changes over time” etc), forgetting that “god” is supposed to be morally perfect already – ie, precisely not changing over time (“Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change” James 1:17).   

Perhaps if it would help you if you give your head a wobble about now?
Why do you keep doing this to yourself - it's embarrassing for you how out of your depth you are here. Like your true for you interpretation of “will”, you are also entitled to construct your own interpretation of what is required from a god of the omnis. What you won't get very far doing is claiming that your construct of a god of the omnis is true for everyone else.

It is possible for someone else's god of the omnis to know what a person will do when given a choice, but the person still had a choice to make. You might not like that aspect of someone else's god of the omnis but unfortunately you will just have to accept that other people define things differently from you.

My interpretation of a god of the omnis in Islam is one who can change pronouncements and moral rules as humans change e.g as the circumstances and understanding and faith of humans develop. For example, in relation to alcohol the instruction to abstain from alcohol completely is in Chapter 5 of the Quran. In earlier verses, there are warnings about alcohol but not an outright prohibition:

“They ask you about wine and gambling. Tell them, there are great sins in them, [even though they bring] some profit to the people, but their sin is greater than their profit.” Quran 2:219

Quran 4:43   “O You Who Believe! Do not perform prayer when you are intoxicated until you know what you say.”

“O You Who Believe! Indeed, wine, gambling, idols, and divining arrows (a way of gambling) are evil and of Satan’s act; therefore, leave them aside in order that you may prosper.” Quran 5:90

The Quran also says "Whatever a Verse (revelation) do We abrogate or cause to be forgotten, We bring a better one or similar to it. Know you not that Allah is able to do all things?” (Quran 2:106)

“Allah blots out what He wills and confirms (what He wills). And with Him is the Mother of the Book" (Quran 13:39)

“And when We change a Verse in place of another, and Allah knows the best of what He sends down” (Quran 16:101)
I guess when all you’ve got left is to attack the provenance of the evidence then all you can do it to attack the provenance of the evidence right? The only argument I had to substantiate though was that these standards exist at all and are followed – which I did. I don’t have to substantiate the content of the guidelines themselves, nor do I even have to agree with them. And having shown you that they do exist, the question you endlessly deflect from remains: do you find the morality of the guidelines or the morality of the god character to be better?
I refer you to my previous answers every time you asked me this question – it’s not an either/or scenario – I can think both morals are right depending on the circumstances.

More importantly, thanks for clarifying that you might not even agree with the guidelines of the organisation that you linked to, in support of your claim that there was a modern Western moral consensus on the issue of consent. So, I guess that means you are no longer claiming there is a Modern Western consensus and all we have then is some people discussing and having different moral values around the issue of consent.

Also, see above for the value of your evidence from RAINN. If one of the trained people who work for the organisation that you linked to told me that an employer having a sexual relationship with an employee can be appropriate and consensual and that morals can be hard and confusing, I suggest you contact the organisation yourself and find out some more information on what they have to say about consent between employer and employee relationships – do a bit of basic checks rather than committing the fallacy of blindly linking to something you read on the internet because it was on the website of a well-known organisation.
Such a shame that you have no grasp of irony – this collection of bad reasoning, straw men, false claims etc is an irony goldmine if you did but know it. Your epic, buttock-clenching, profoundly dim-witted mistake about continually demanding evidence and then (hysterically) claiming that someone else struggles with the concept is that you’re still looking down the wrong end of the telescope.     

The only evidence I needed to produce here is that ethics guidelines exist, that they are authored by authoritative sources, that they say what I say they say, and that they have significant real-world effect because they’ve been adopted (for example by the US Department of Defense). I did that. You could do that too if you could be bothered to try.

What I don’t have to provide “evidence” for though is the validity or otherwise of what those guidelines actually say. Why not? Because ethics as a discipline isn’t evidence apt. Really try to understand this because until you do you’re like a moth endlessly flying into a lightbulb no matter how many windows I open for you. You might for example agree with the moral statement “murder is wrong”. What though if every time you said it I replied like a demented speak your weight machine with “where’s your evidence?”, “where’s your evidence?”?

Again, really try to understand this – you can have reasoning and argument and gut feel for ethical positions until they’re coming out of your ears, but what you can’t have just as a matter of principle is evidence.
Such a shame you didn’t do some basic checks before making a complete fool of yourself on this forum again. Anyway, now we have established that you have no evidence to back up your claim for a modern Western moral consensus on the issue of consent, I’ll let you get back to your histrionics – you seem to be enjoying yourself. Ah bless.             

Yes, you’ve got pretty much everything wrong again – see above.
You certainly have got pretty much everything wrong again - see above.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 08:09:42 PM by Violent Gabriella »
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #616 on: January 03, 2023, 08:38:47 PM »
VG,

In Reply 557 NS said to you:

“and yet you worship God for what it does. It allows child rape and torture. You worship it for that.”

To which you responded in Reply 559:

“As I said - I wouldn't say I worship God for it. More accurate to say I worship God despite the lack of intervention.”.

Maybe so, though I’d have thought the point would be more to do with why babies are given and then permitted to die of brain cancer at all rather than why they have pain receptors for suffer needlessly when they do.

In any case though, your reply to NS’s was as I quoted it verbatim above: “As I said - I wouldn't say I worship God for it. More accurate to say I worship God despite the lack of intervention.”

You choose to prioritise your personal upside of praying to this (supposed) god over concerning yourself with its savagery, but we’re built differently about that kind of thing I suppose.       

In Reply 565 NS said:

“And yet your god chooses it and you worship your god.”

In your Reply 566 you ended with:

“I find religious faith helps me, with the relatively minor hardships I have had to go through.”

You also said something similar to Maeght, but I’ve kept up well enough thanks. 

Does it not occur to you that NS’s point was what he said it was, and that your reply above just deflected from that? The point here wasn’t about your choices – it was about your (supposed) god’s choices (ie, not to interevene to prevent pain when he could), and about how you turn a blind eye to those choices because you enjoy what you perceive as the benefits to you of worshipping that god notwithstanding?   

Even by your dismal standards that’s pathetic. You hand waved away the god you worship being a murderous thug by telling us how much better worshipping it makes you feel about yourself. I told you that that was analogous to a Hitler Youth member responding to a critique of Hitler by telling us about how much he enjoy the camping and sailing. You then fell apart by asking what camping and sailing have to do with introspection as if that was relevant to the analogy, so I corrected you by explaining how analogies work. And what did you do in reply? “OK, I get it now. Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me” perhaps? Oh no – you just ignored the point completely and instead went into a bizarre straw man rant – presumably in the hope that no-one would notice while you made good your escape.

So now you’ve had your hissy fit, can you see why the analogy works and why complaining that camping and sailing aren’t comparable to introspection missed the point entirely?             
Lovely bit of quote-mining there. You really have no shame.

My response to NS in #566 was to say that I cannot comment on the people who, unlike me, are really suffering e.g as parents of babies who had died of cancer or who have cancer themselves and were in terrible pain, and yet they still find comfort in their religious faith. It was only after making the point that I can't comment on their pain and the role of their faith as a comfort to them, as I have no experience of their pain, did I say that “I find religious faith helps me, with the relatively minor hardships I have had to go through.”

But, if you would like to tell those people who are really suffering and drawing comfort from their religious faith about your analogy to the Hitler Youth's endorphins from outdoor pursuits, be my guest.

NS is also free to judge those parents based on his view that their god is a murderous thug and they worship their god for the pain he chooses to give them by killing their babies.

Yes, quite possibly you and NS are built differently from me. When I pray, I will remember to thank god for that. Diversity of thought, behaviour and moral values is no bad thing and probably increases the chances of human survival. Looking forward to your next hissy fit  in response to this post.

Enki

« Reply #617 on: January 03, 2023, 09:34:42 PM »
Once you have blamed God for everything and you have then there is no further discussion to be had...That isn't my doing, it's yours.

Also it is difficult having a conversation with you as you flip flop between antitheistic arguments and atheist arguments of the oh well, I don't believe in God anyway variety. You present then as an atheist who is antigod.

Once again I feel I need to appeal to you...feel free to be an atheist but please don't saddle me with belief in a caricature God you have constructed either by commission or omission of attributes

How this all started was by you talking about the problem of evil and how it should be addressed by everyone.(post 538). That's what I replied to in post 540 and that is what I stuck to throughout. What type of God you believe in is entirely up to you, I made it plain that I was talking about the God of the omnis and how the problem of evil(both natural and man made) fits uncomfortably with it.
Steven Wright

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #618 on: January 03, 2023, 10:15:17 PM »
How this all started was by you talking about the problem of evil and how it should be addressed by everyone.(post 538). That's what I replied to in post 540 and that is what I stuck to throughout. What type of God you believe in is entirely up to you, I made it plain that I was talking about the God of the omnis and how the problem of evil(both natural and man made) fits uncomfortably with it.
And I outlined the problem with assessing whether God was omnibenevolent since there are many views of benevolence ranging from ice cream everyday to personal indestructability and all stations in between but as I said many people theist and atheist have contributed in the construction God of the omnis.

And if the God of the omnis is a human philosophical construct why shouldn't we also consider the God proposed by logic as the necessary entity thrown up by contingency and the principle of sufficient reason, or the God that people alleged to have experienced and listen carefully to those accounts.

I think then that the God of the Gaps argument which focuses on omnibebevolence is an antitheist rather than an atheist argument and you may well find omnibenevolence missing from the list of omnis theologians are willing to use due to the impossibility to agree terms.

Finally, one poster talks about unnecessary suffering and here we are back to what is necessary and what isn't and it occurs to me that only an entity which was omniscient could possibly know.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 07:44:54 AM by Walt Zingmatilder »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #619 on: January 04, 2023, 08:40:05 AM »
And I outlined the problem with assessing whether God was omnibenevolent since there are many views of benevolence ranging from ice cream everyday to personal indestructability and all stations in between but as I said many people theist and atheist have contributed in the construction God of the omnis.

And if the God of the omnis is a human philosophical construct why shouldn't we also consider the God proposed by logic as the necessary entity thrown up by contingency and the principle of sufficient reason, or the God that people alleged to have experienced and listen carefully to those accounts.

I think then that the God of the Gaps argument which focuses on omnibebevolence is an antitheist rather than an atheist argument and you may well find omnibenevolence missing from the list of omnis theologians are willing to use due to the impossibility to agree terms.

Finally, one poster talks about unnecessary suffering and here we are back to what is necessary and what isn't and it occurs to me that only an entity which was omniscient could possibly know.
Labelling an argument antitheist doesn’t make it go away. If you want to refute it, you need to address its substance, not give it a name.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #620 on: January 04, 2023, 09:44:24 AM »
Labelling an argument antitheist doesn’t make it go away. If you want to refute it, you need to address its substance, not give it a name.
I'm not trying to make it go away. I'm just pointing out that an antitheistic argument isn't necessarily an atheist one. E G God being a complete bastard tells us nothing of his existence or otherwise.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #621 on: January 04, 2023, 09:50:22 AM »
In terms of reputations....reread the thread.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #622 on: January 04, 2023, 09:55:00 AM »
I'm not trying to make it go away. I'm just pointing out that an antitheistic argument isn't necessarily an atheist one. E G God being a complete bastard tells us nothing of his existence or otherwise.

So, and let me get this straight, you're saying that a non-existant god could be a "complete bastard"?

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #623 on: January 04, 2023, 10:05:39 AM »
So, and let me get this straight, you're saying that a non-existant god could be a "complete bastard"?
But let's remember that Vlad's great hero is C S Lewis who came out with a similarly non-sensical comment - claiming that when he was an atheist he was angry with god for not existing.

Enki

« Reply #624 on: January 04, 2023, 10:16:07 AM »

As long as one holds that there is evil in the world and that God is all good, it does not matter what one considers benevolence, the problem remains.

One can propose whatever god one wishes or/and whatever god they suggest that they have had some form of personal linkage with. That's up to the individual. Only if it involves the four omnis do I have an argument in this series of posts.

Think what you like. I am simply directing my arguments at those who believe in the God of the four omnis, and attempting to show the problems that follow from that.

I think that you could say that about any god which is supposed to be omniscient, such as those found in the Hindu, Sikh and Abrahamic religions. In Jainism it is supposedly possible for the individual to attain omniscience. From  my point of view, as a believer in none of these gods, I am inclined to make up my own mind based upon my own assessment. Hence, for me, suffering exists and  any god who is all good would attempt to negate that suffering.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 10:18:10 AM by Enki »
Steven Wright