Author Topic: Religions have succeeded  (Read 65207 times)

Maeght

Re: Religions have succeeded
« Reply #1150 on: February 01, 2023, 07:30:09 PM »

Well the first part seems quite absolute.Also if primarily suggests that all knowledge comes to us first through empirical evidence then that is pretty absolute too.

Of course if Primary means mainly instead you have no objection to my belief being knowledge and your position over the last few days has been showboating and Grandstanding.

The evidence is that your position is Only rather than primary and primary rather than mainly.

So basically when you are caught red handed commiting philosophical empiricism you are saying ''Nothing to do with me Guv'nor''.

And on that bombshell I shall retire as you have given my arse a sore head.

What?

torridon

« Reply #1151 on: February 01, 2023, 07:31:28 PM »
 Exactly

:D :D

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #1152 on: February 01, 2023, 07:31:31 PM »
Only you know if you are dodging God

How exactly would I know?
Do tell.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #1153 on: February 01, 2023, 11:05:20 PM »
What?
It's like this Maeght, Philosophical empiricism is defined as:
'' an epistemological theory that holds that knowledge or justification comes only or primarily from sensory experience.''

So you either believe it is the only way to get knowledge or justification or not.

Now if you take the word primarily to mean that knowledge first or primarily comes as empirical evidence so effectively there can be no knowledge without it. So you either believe that or not.

Or you can take the word primarily to mean mainly. So you believe Knowledge or justification mainly comes from sensory experience. If you believe that, you leave room for justification by other means and so you forfeit the right as it were to dismiss those other means.

But once you have decided which camp you're in, you have another problem and that is ''where's your empirical evidence or justification for it?''.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 11:31:57 PM by Walt Zingmatilder »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #1154 on: February 01, 2023, 11:18:48 PM »
How exactly would I know?
Do tell.
There's Vlad's law of course, you might find an emotional reaction towards mentioning God or his attributes that leads you to try and distract yourself from it but is probably advisable to explore where feelings or attitudes have come from.

Since many atheists here big up the role of the subconscious at working things through without the consciousness, It could mean that one's dodging is still going on at the subconscious level what matters is that you are scrupulously honest with yourself without relating this to others who have their own spiritual journey, exploration and decisions to make. Alas i'm sure that committed agnosticism is a route some take e.g. ''We cannot know anything except that we cannot know anything.''

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #1155 on: February 02, 2023, 06:50:51 AM »
There's Vlad's law of course, you might find an emotional reaction towards mentioning God
Ok let's break it down...
Which god?

Do tell.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Maeght

« Reply #1156 on: February 02, 2023, 08:08:49 AM »
It's like this Maeght, Philosophical empiricism is defined as:
'' an epistemological theory that holds that knowledge or justification comes only or primarily from sensory experience.''

So you either believe it is the only way to get knowledge or justification or not.

Now if you take the word primarily to mean that knowledge first or primarily comes as empirical evidence so effectively there can be no knowledge without it. So you either believe that or not.

Or you can take the word primarily to mean mainly. So you believe Knowledge or justification mainly comes from sensory experience. If you believe that, you leave room for justification by other means and so you forfeit the right as it were to dismiss those other means.

But once you have decided which camp you're in, you have another problem and that is ''where's your empirical evidence or justification for it?''.

Some people will hold the view that it is the only way and some will hold the view that it is primarily the way. There will of course be implications based on which view they hold.

In your problem - what is the 'it'? Your position?

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #1157 on: February 02, 2023, 08:37:33 AM »
... you might find an emotional reaction towards mentioning God or his attributes ...
Well Vlad you clearly and almost continually express emotional reactions towards the mention of atheists, atheism and Richard Dawkins - does that mean you are secretly atheist-dodging, atheism-dodging and Dawkins-dodging.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #1158 on: February 02, 2023, 10:06:32 AM »
Well Vlad you clearly and almost continually express emotional reactions towards the mention of atheists, atheism and Richard Dawkins - does that mean you are secretly atheist-dodging, atheism-dodging and Dawkins-dodging.
Pmsl

Albert Einstein

Outrider

« Reply #1159 on: February 02, 2023, 10:12:00 AM »
I think the arguments of reason were ignored in the adoption of empirical evidence and scientism.

Or people accepted that thousands of years of pure reason hadn't resolved anything and a new slant was if not required then at least interesting, and 'scientism' and empiricism have a track record that stands up against pure reason.

I think those who followed the horsemen of the non apocalypse and angry atheism not only see theism as wrong but dangerous.

Some of them, yes. Some of them have a point, especially when you place that movement's expansion in the aftermath of 9/11, an undeniably dangerous, religious event.

The upshot is an incorrect understanding of rationalism which sounds good but is effectively dismissed by empiricism, physicalism etc.

Given that 'rationalism' hasn't managed to either prove or disprove the idea of gods, empiricism lending reasonable arguments to the dismissal of the idea isn't invalid. Notwithstanding that, of course, the crux of the 'New Atheist' argument is not an argument from empirical roots, but rather that no-one has provided sufficient basis to accept the claim. That's purely rationalism - that the types of evidence they're expecting to see might be empirical is about how the argument is formulated and argued, but even if you restrict it to 'purely' rational arguments, it still stands up.

I can not only imagine it but knew someone who knew they believed they had encountered God, repudiated and supressed God to preserve his pride and eventually surrendered.

Sounds like someone in need of a professional diagnosis to my inexpert understanding.

And this is where your repudiation of reason, philosophy and subsequent lack of practice has let you down, for if the universe existed as a simulation the simulator is completely sovereign as far as we are concerned, it would have an intelligence and will.

And that's not the part of being 'god' that's not accepted; the parts that are problematic are the special pleading that gods are something fundamentally different, divorced from the chain of cause and effect and somehow their own origin point, and the idea that these gods are somehow infinite in power and beneficence in the face of a day-to-day reality that doesn't demonstrate that.

It wouldn't necessarily be governed by our laws of nature.

But it would, presumably, be governed by some sort of laws of nature.

These are precisely the arguments used by William Lane Craig I think it's up to people who believe that the creator of this unit  to show that God does not have the properties are divine rather than atheistic.

You're misplacing the burden of proof, again. The claim is 'there's a creator' - fine, there's a creator. The claim is 'this creator is different', and the burden is then on you to prove it. You can't just 'presume' divinity, you have to demonstrate why, you have to show what that 'creator' is not a simulation in their own computer, and it's not silicon chips all the way down.

The implications are those that reasoned argument throw up and so the thing that must make you guys angry are mainly the possibility of Gods existence and One's possible moral position in relation to God's judgment.

No, they aren't. If you believe in god, and that's the end of it no-one is angry about it. If you believe in a god, and therefore gay people are second-class citizens we have a problem. It's not the belief in god that's the issue, its the idea that those beliefs give you the right to impinge on other people's lives.

Those two cannot but fail to have implications for the Ego.

Yeah, it puts a burden of responsibility on us, because we can't just abrogate our responsibilities to the sky-fairy, throw up our hands and say 'wasn't my idea, god wants this'.

I'm afraid, as I told Hillside he is aware only of empirical evidence and theists are aware of God so you are defending your Commitment and faith in a natural universe and nothing greater.

Firstly, some theists claim to be 'aware' of god - others don't, and of those that do the claim does not automatically equate to the reality. Secondly, I'm not 'committed' ideologically to nothing more than a natural universe, but there is consistent, reliable evidence of a natural universe, and not much evidence for anything else. Again, I'm making the claim of a natural universe, and you're free to argue against that, but you're making the claim 'magic', and it's on you to justify that, not on me to disprove it.

In terms of morality you guys are all over the place because you have to turn subjective morality, which should in reason exclude the notion of Judgment into rational judgement and yet you have already judged against the morality of theism.

Morality does appear to be subjective, yes, that's why we see such vast cultural differences in moral claims. Many people do take issue with theistic morality, and the reasons vary - for some it's because they work from a precept of individual responsibility, and the authoritarian 'do as you're told because you're told' take of some religious people doesn't sit well; for others it's a more a more consequentialist or utilitarian realisation that you're making claims of morally acceptable behaviour which can be seen to demonstrably harm more than it helps.

Now that's a conundrum I'd like to see an adequate solution to

I'm not sure that's possible - people vary, and finding one acceptable algorithm of all the moral precepts that's universally accepted seems unlikely. What seems certainly unlikely is accepting that it can be found in the Big Boy's Bedtime Book of Jewish Fairy Stories.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #1160 on: February 02, 2023, 11:27:55 AM »
That might be why I'm on a largely atheist message board. Now you may say you are on here for the God talk but I would argue that you are here because you find it a good hunting arena for theists. Others, no name no pack drill, are here to get atheists off the website and out of, as they would say, the public forum and it is the act of that that brings ''The boys to the yard''.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #1161 on: February 02, 2023, 11:28:23 AM »
Vlad,

Well the first part seems quite absolute.

In what possible way is “an epistemological theory that holds that knowledge or justification comes only or primarily from sensory experience” “quite absolute”?

To make PE “quite absolute” it would instead have to be defined as something like, “an epistemological position that holds that knowledge can only ever come from sensory experience” or similar. The definition you posted though has nothing absolute to say. 

Also if primarily suggests that all knowledge comes to us first through empirical evidence then that is pretty absolute too.

Say what? “Primarily” means “primarily”, not “wholly”. You do know that right?

Of course if Primary means mainly instead…

It does…

…you have no objection to my belief being knowledge and your position over the last few days has been showboating and Grandstanding.

Er, no. “Primarily” is a qualifier that excludes a claim of the absolute. That theoretically at least there may be some other way to obtain knowledge does not for one moment however justify you deciding that your belief is therefore “knowledge”. For that you’d have to provide a method of your own to distinguish your claim from just guessing – something you’ve always run away from doing.   

The evidence is that your position is Only rather than primary and primary rather than mainly.

No it isn’t. If you think there is such evidence nonetheless tell us what it is. 

So basically when you are caught red handed commiting philosophical empiricism you are saying ''Nothing to do with me Guv'nor''.

Wrong again – I’m quite happy to “commit” PE, and especially to commit to the definition of it that you posted that does not support your straw man version of it.   

And on that bombshell I shall retire as you have given my arse a sore head.

Inasmuch a “bombshell” implies you’ve crashed and burned (again), your retirement at this point is probably a good idea.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 11:39:43 AM by bluehillside Retd. »
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #1162 on: February 02, 2023, 11:29:15 AM »
Ok let's break it down...
Which god?

Do tell.
There is only one God so it has to be that one.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #1163 on: February 02, 2023, 11:31:37 AM »
Some people will hold the view that it is the only way and some will hold the view that it is primarily the way. There will of course be implications based on which view they hold.

In your problem - what is the 'it'? Your position?
The ''it'' is any one of the three views i've outlined. And this is an empiricists problem because they require physical evidence for everything in the first place.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #1164 on: February 02, 2023, 11:36:43 AM »
That's a positive statement.
You know this to be a fact?
Do tell.
Albert Einstein

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #1165 on: February 02, 2023, 11:39:10 AM »
Vlad,

Leaving aside your argument by assertion there, the question though is still – even if you've guessed right about that – which of the bewildering variety of gods on offer would be the "only" one?

Could it be the one to which you, Vlad, just happen to be most enculturated, or one of the other gods to which various other claimants just happen to be most enculturated?   

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #1166 on: February 02, 2023, 11:40:08 AM »
Vlad,

In what possible way is “an epistemological theory that holds that knowledge or justification comes only or primarily from sensory experience” “quite absolute”?

To make PE “quite absolute” it would instead have to be defined as something like, “an epistemological position that holds that knowledge can only ever come from sensory experience” or similar. The definition you posted though has noting absolute to say. 

Say what? “Primarily” means “primarily”, not “wholly”. You do know that right?

It does…

Er, no. “Primarily” is a qualifier that excludes a claim of the absolute. That theoretically at least there may be some other way to obtain knowledge does not for one moment however justify you deciding that your belief is therefore “knowledge”. For that you’d have to provide a method of your own to distinguish your claim from just guessing – something you’ve always run away from doing.   

No it isn’t. If you think there is such evidence nonetheless tell us what it is. 

Wrong again – I’m quite happy to “commit” PE, and especially to commit to the definition of it that you posted that does not support your straw man version of it.   

Inasmuch a “bombshell” implies you’ve crashed and burned (again), your retirement at this point is probably a good idea.
It's irrelevant what your position is within the definition given, You still require empirical evidence for it or mainly empirical evidence for it because that is the demand your territory comes from.

Some do take an absolute view as you have pointed out.
Those who say there are other means of obtaining knowledge are bound to explaining what these are and what evidence or argument they have that we mainly get our evidence empirically.
So Hillside how about popping us a few grapes eh?

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #1167 on: February 02, 2023, 11:44:55 AM »
Vlad,

Leaving aside your argument by assertion there, the question though is still – even if you've guessed right about that – which of the bewildering variety of gods on offer would be the "only" one?

Could it be the one to which you, Vlad, just happen to be most enculturated, or one of the other gods to which various other claimants just happen to be most enculturated?   
There cannot be multiple Necessary beings. Indeed many of the pantheons make this implicit.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #1168 on: February 02, 2023, 11:55:35 AM »
Others may disagree. Either on the basis that they are convinced that there are more than one gods, or that there is one but not the one you believe in - or indeed that there are no gods.

And btw - that sounds like a positive statement of objective certainty about your god existing and being the only god. Onus on you to provide the evidence to support your positive claim that your god exists (not just for you but for everyone) and also that no other gods exist (not just for you but for everyone) - good luck with that Vlad.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #1169 on: February 02, 2023, 11:55:59 AM »
Vlad,

It's irrelevant what your position is within the definition given, You still require empirical evidence for it or mainly empirical evidence for it because that is the demand your territory comes from.

Your appalling inarticularcy is letting you down again. What are you trying to say here?

I “require empirical evidence” to justify claims of knowledge that are probabilistic in character. That’s not to say that everything we think we “know” isn’t, say, instead a fever dream of a pan-galactic kid on a computer game, but it’s all we verifiably have to navigate the world we appear to occupy. Hence philosophical empiricism as per the definition of it that you posted remeber?   

Some do take an absolute view as you have pointed out.

Apparently so – they presumably would be the “physicalists” and the “scientismists” you keep mislabelling people here to be, though I’ve never come across one.

Have you?

Those who say there are other means of obtaining knowledge are bound to explaining what these are and what evidence or argument they have that we mainly get our evidence empirically.

Damn right they are – so when do you propose to start doing that to justify your claim that your religious beliefs are also thereby “knowledge”?

So Hillside how about popping us a few grapes eh?

I’m more of a Twiglets man myself – so away you go: start explaining. 

God

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #1170 on: February 02, 2023, 11:59:35 AM »
Vlad,

There cannot be multiple Necessary beings. Indeed many of the pantheons make this implicit.

So you assert, but that's irrelevant for this purpose: the question you dodged is which one of the multiple gods on offer is the actual one then - the one to which you happen to be most enculturated, or one of the countless gods to which various other people happen to be most enculturated?

I'm Spartacus!     

God

Outrider

« Reply #1171 on: February 02, 2023, 12:21:31 PM »
There cannot be multiple Necessary beings.

Why? The Babylonian creation myth talks of two primordial beings who alone existed until they got together and created a host of unruly god-children. Some of the Egyptian regional accounts talk of Shu and Tefnut spawning Geb and Nut to start it all. Even if we concede that there is a start to reality and therefore a need for a necessary something, why only one?

Indeed many of the pantheons make this implicit.

It's a bit questionable to fall back on god-propoganda to support your argument in favour of the idea of gods, don't you think?

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #1172 on: February 02, 2023, 12:43:21 PM »
But you have actually failed to credibly argue why even one so-called Necessary being (why the capitalisation and why 'being' rather than 'entity'), nor why there might not be more than one. If you argue that our universe requires one, why cannot there be multiple but not interacting universes that each require one. Or even interactions that are at a level lower than the necessary entity between universes such that each is dependent on its own necessary entity.

Problem Vlad is that simply asserting and Capitalising Things doesn't mean you have a cogent case.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #1173 on: February 02, 2023, 12:45:27 PM »
Or people accepted that thousands of years of pure reason hadn't resolved anything and a new slant was if not required then at least interesting, and 'scientism' and empiricism have a track record that stands up against pure reason.
There may be methodological aspects of empiricism that are of value sure but they have a track record in er, empiricism. You seem to be recasting all other attempts at understanding as failed science. You seem to see things as only comprehensible by science and that is scientism par excellence. Apparently now not even Hillside thinks that's the case.
Some of them, yes. Some of them have a point, especially when you place that movement's expansion in the aftermath of 9/11, an undeniably dangerous, religious event.
Yes there was 9/11 where people of our kind were Killed and we felt it keenly, but then there were the Killing fields in Cambodia at the hands of atheist Utopist Pol Pot where people who weren't like us were killed by a mad atheist.
Given that 'rationalism' hasn't managed to either prove or disprove the idea of gods, empiricism lending reasonable arguments to the dismissal of the idea isn't invalid.
Not many actually realise the differences between empiricism and rationalism as epistemiological models
Notwithstanding that, of course, the crux of the 'New Atheist' argument is not an argument from empirical roots, but rather that no-one has provided sufficient basis to accept the claim. That's purely rationalism - that the types of evidence they're expecting to see might be empirical is about how the argument is formulated and argued, but even if you restrict it to 'purely' rational arguments, it still stands up.
I'm not clear what you mean here'.

And that's not the part of being 'god' that's not accepted;
Pleading that the Necessary entity is special. I cant see it being special being half of the picture, the other being the contingent. What is special is a universe that just is without the principle of sufficient reason required by philosophical empiricism and science
the parts that are problematic are the special pleading that gods are something fundamentally different, divorced from the chain of cause and effect and somehow their own origin point,
First a necessary universe would also have to be specially pleaded for in many more ways than a properly necessary being, in other words pleading a necessary universe rather than one that just is would be special pleading. Secondly chains of cause and effect require a terminator other wise they are infinite regresses and don't explain anything but particularly the question why is there anything and not nothing
  and the idea that these gods are somehow infinite in power and beneficence in the face of a day-to-day reality that doesn't demonstrate that.
Day today reality is not a scientific term though
But it would, presumably, be governed by some sort of laws of nature.
The necessary being only governs itself since it is not contingent on anything else.
You're misplacing the burden of proof, again. The claim is 'there's a creator' - fine, there's a creator. The claim is 'this creator is different', and the burden is then on you to prove it. You can't just 'presume' divinity, you have to demonstrate why, you have to show what that 'creator' is not a simulation in their own computer, and it's not silicon chips all the way down.
You can only take it's attributes and see if what they are has also been the content of religious debate before.
No, they aren't. If you believe in god, and that's the end of it no-one is angry about it. If you believe in a god, and therefore gay people are second-class citizens we have a problem. It's not the belief in god that's the issue, its the idea that those beliefs give you the right to impinge on other people's lives.
The problem is that there are some churches who do not believe that holy matrimony was a state between people of different sex and there are people who think that the secular majority / ad populum view should somehow, in the nature of a religious mystery perhaps change that view. I can't see Zeitgeist changing the holy or whether same sex holy matrimony is viable at the holy level. If some clergy think that it is God's will for them though I wouldn't intervene. Sorry but there it is
Yeah, it puts a burden of responsibility on us, because we can't just abrogate our responsibilities to the sky-fairy, throw up our hands and say 'wasn't my idea, god wants this'
. Well sometimes God's bound not to want what we want.
Firstly, some theists claim to be 'aware' of god - others don't, and of those that do the claim does not automatically equate to the reality. Secondly, I'm not 'committed' ideologically to nothing more than a natural universe, but there is consistent, reliable evidence of a natural universe, and not much evidence for anything else. Again, I'm making the claim of a natural universe, and you're free to argue against that, but you're making the claim 'magic', and it's on you to justify that, not on me to disprove it.
As i've said the awareness of God is ours, the presence of God is his
Morality does appear to be subjective,
Then we have no business inflicting it on anyone else

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #1174 on: February 02, 2023, 01:24:01 PM »
VG,

Analogies are never about their objects – “A good man is as hard to find as a needle in a haystack” for example isn’t about needles. An analogy works by comparing an epistemically equivalent feature of different objects for the purpose of one such illuminating a characteristic of the other. This only works though when the epistemic feature is equivalent – thus for example “preferring Sunak to Truss is like preferring typhus to cholera” is fine.

An analogy necessarily fails however when the feature to be compared isn’t epistemically equivalent. That’s why your attempt at an analogy between a preference for something and its existence at all (ie, regardless of your feeling about it if it did exist) fell apart.
You're still wrong. My analogy in reply #888 was about religion i.e. the interpretation of an experience that people's brains select based on prior information stored in their brain. My analogy did not have anything to say about the existence of God.           

Wrong again. He thinks his explanatory narrative of having encountered a god is itself evidence for a real, non-imaginary god. I’ve asked him to confirm this for you, but as he rarely if ever answers questions you’ll just have to rely on his countless prior comments to this effect.

Wrong again. Your poor comprehension is letting you down here – what I said was “you just need to be clear that “his experience where he felt a non-physical god was present” does not imply that there actually was something “present” other than the workings of his own imagination”. You were asked to accept that his assertion “does not imply” something, not to rule out the possibility of a "presence" being involved nonetheless.   

Wrong again. It’s evidence just of making the claim, not of the claim itself being true.
Not sure what muddled thinking you are trying to present here but if you're saying what I think you're saying, then you're wrong. He is stating his belief that god was present in his consciousness. When people give testimony as evidence, they are not giving evidence that they are making a claim. People don't give a statement saying "this statement is evidence that I am giving a statement". Their statement is evidence that they went through an experience and it is presented as evidence for the claim being true. And Vlad's claim about his experience implies that something could have been present or it could have been his imagination  - unless you are using "imply" to mean something else. Vlad's experience is not proof that there really was something there.

That’s a non-point: I said – “looks just like bog standard, common-or-garden confirmation bias”. The man who believes in dragons and then tells you an invisible one chased him down street could be right about that, but it still looks "just like" confirmation bias nonetheless right?
Agreed.

Wrong again. He thinks not only that “god is real” is a fact for all of us, but also that his belief that he “encountered” it is evidence for that. The only one getting the terminology wrong here is you. 

Wrong again. He (not I) thinks it’s a fact no matter that we both know that his “evidence” for that claim of believing he “encountered” it isn’t evidence for that at all.
Try to understand this – it’s getting wearisome correcting you your repeated mistake about this.
Wrong - my impression is that Vlad is clear that the term "fact" is used to describe something he has empirical evidence for, and he has said he has no empirical evidence. So IMO he has claimed a belief God exists and a belief God was present in his consciousness. Of course, if Vlad says God exists as fact, then I'll revise my opinion.

Wrong again. Something tangible just has to have had the property of being “experienced” (or believed to be experienced). The definition does not concern itself with whether the belief of an experience had as its object a material or a non-material claim:

“real and not imaginary; able to be shown, touched, or experienced:

We need tangible evidence if we're going to take legal action.

Othertangible benefits include an increase in salary and shorter working hours.”

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/tangible       
Wrong - your examples of tangible involve experiences that can be measured - salary increase, working hours. That does not apply to Vlad's experience.
Wrong again. Your (false) analogy was between a statement of preferring one thing over another (with no concern at all for whether or not that thing actually exists), and a statement about whether or not something exists in the first place (with no concern at all for a preference about it if if does).

In short, your “analogy” was a category error. 

Sorry you crashed and burned so spectacularly here, but you didn’t give me much choice I’m afraid.
Wrong - my analogy in reply #888 was in response to you saying Vlad chose an explanation for his experience based on the information peddled to him by his Sunday school as a child. I said "if a person thinks they 'experienced' something supernatural in a religious context, their brain would seek to make sense of it with the information they have been exposed to at various times in their life." My analogy had nothing to say about whether Vlad's god exists but about the narrative Vlad's brain chose to explain the experience based on previous information stored in it. Why would you expect Vlad's brain or anyone's brain to come up with a narrative for an experience that wasn't already previously stored in their brain. Where would this previously unknown narrative spring from?

Feel free to congratulate yourself here on your supposed triumphs - if that's what you need to do to like yourself more.
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi