Author Topic: Religions have succeeded  (Read 65117 times)

bluehillside Retd.

Re: Religions have succeeded
« Reply #1300 on: February 07, 2023, 11:18:54 AM »
Vlad,

So Hilly, what would you count as your greatest achievement? Refuting the principle of sufficient reason by use of the principle of sufficient reason or the refutation of moral realism by eliminating morality?

Exposing your relentless use of straw men (see above).
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #1301 on: February 07, 2023, 11:23:57 AM »
Vlad,

Exposing your relentless use of straw men (see above).
I'm wondering whether a better summary of your career here wouldn't be refuting all counter arguments with the principle of sufficient reason culminating in the virtuoso employment of the PSR to eliminate the PSR, what do you say?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #1302 on: February 07, 2023, 11:28:34 AM »
Vlad,

I'm wondering whether a better summary of your career here wouldn't be refuting all counter arguments with the principle of sufficient reason culminating in the virtuoso employment of the PSR to eliminate the PSR, what do you say?

See my last reply. When all you have in response to the rebuttals you're given is to straw man those rebuttals why even bother? 
"Don't make me come down there."

God

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #1303 on: February 10, 2023, 12:55:48 PM »
A rose by any other name would sure smell as sweet, Professor D, so New Atheism by any other name would smell as strange.
But I think the point is that the name (with capitalisation) was coined by those who opposed the views of some atheists to try to imply something that wasn't the case. Specifically that there was some kind of official new organisation going by the name New Atheism, when that was never the case.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #1304 on: February 10, 2023, 06:02:02 PM »
I concede that there are people of other faiths who adhere to their beliefs as much as I do to my Christian faith.
And you are no more able to experience what they experience and how it leads them to their faith as they are to be able to experience what you experience and how it leads you to your faith.   

I see other faith systems as sincere man made attempts to seek truth and meaning behind their existence
But they probably feel the same about you - so far so no further forward

(In this I include those who try to seek the truth in material based explanations).
But here there is non equivalence - your faith (and others faith) isn't based on evidence, hence it is faith. Material based explanations are based on evidence than therefore do not require unevidenced faith. 

The big difference is that in my beliefs I see God making Himself known to a sceptical human race - initially through the prophets and finally by becoming one of us in the person of Jesus Christ.
But that is merely a faith-based assertion - and no more or less credible than other faith-based assertions. The big difference isn't between you and others also making unevidenced faith-based assertions. The big difference is between those who rely on unevidenced faith-based assertions to attempt to explain the world and those who rely on evidence.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 06:16:30 PM by ProfessorDavey »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #1305 on: February 10, 2023, 07:53:35 PM »
But I think the point is that the name (with capitalisation) was coined by those who opposed the views of some atheists to try to imply something that wasn't the case. Specifically that there was some kind of official new organisation going by the name New Atheism, when that was never the case.
Oh no, Dawkins was here to shake atheism up from some ineffectual somnambulance of his imagination and what with the self appellation by them and their followers of the four horsemen of the non apocalypse (How crap was that?) the motley crew and chums were just inviting a better nickname.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1306 on: February 10, 2023, 07:55:01 PM »
Oh no, Dawkins was here to shake atheism up from some ineffectual somnambulance of his imagination and what with the self appellation by them and their followers of the four horsemen of the non apocalypse (How crap was that?) the motley crew and chums were just inviting a better nickname.
Don't forget the Brights and Atheism+

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #1307 on: February 10, 2023, 08:48:08 PM »
Don't forget the Brights and Atheism+
Atheism+ passed me by. I wonder if ''Brights'' came to someone in a lightbulb moment.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1308 on: February 10, 2023, 09:01:16 PM »
Atheism+ passed me by. I wonder if ''Brights'' came to someone in a lightbulb moment.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Atheism%20Plus

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #1309 on: February 10, 2023, 09:38:21 PM »

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Atheism%20Plus
Interesting critique of atheism+ but it seemed to be debunking atheism+Feminism etc by suggesting atheism+condoms instead