Author Topic: More tawdry Tory corruption  (Read 1706 times)

SqueakyVoice

• Life. Don't talk to me about life.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - D Adams

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
Re: More tawdry Tory corruption
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2023, 11:25:23 AM »
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2023, 11:34:10 AM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2023, 02:03:38 PM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2023, 12:04:45 PM »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2023, 04:35:50 PM »
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2023, 04:48:35 PM »
That would be a very interesting by election

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/seatdetails.py?seat=Blackpool%20South

It would almost certainly be a Labour victory.

Yes, of the by elections we've had, I think if it happens it would be the most informative.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2023, 04:49:57 PM »
I was reading about this earlier and my gaydar pinged.

Sure enough, he is gay (my gaydar isn't always that accurate) and married to a man.

But read further and his favourite book is "The Old Testament". He is a Christian.

I'm kind of worried for him. All that cognitive dissonance can't be good for him.

Although when I say worried, not overmuch, he is a Tory.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2023, 05:06:20 PM »
I was reading about this earlier and my gaydar pinged.

Sure enough, he is gay (my gaydar isn't always that accurate) and married to a man.

But read further and his favourite book is "The Old Testament". He is a Christian.

I'm kind of worried for him. All that cognitive dissonance can't be good for him.

Although when I say worried, not overmuch, he is a Tory.
And apparently a theology graduate.

SqueakyVoice

• Life. Don't talk to me about life.
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2023, 06:27:28 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/dec/15/tory-donor-paid-for-rishi-sunaks-16000-one-way-helicopter-trip-to-leeds
Tory donor’s firm paid for Sunak’s £16,000 one-way helicopter trip to Leeds
Hester, who is sole owner of the company, made a £5m donation to the Conservatives earlier this year
Jo Maugham, the director of the Good Law Project, said: “None of us can look into Mr Hester’s mind to see what motivates him to make these generous donations to Mr Sunak and his government of vast sums of money and a helicopter ride. What is beyond doubt is that he has made an enormous fortune from contracts given to him by the government.”
I shall doft my hat to the learn-ed J Maughan. Oh, to be able to look into those minds.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - D Adams

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2023, 09:37:00 AM »
Michelle Mone
"we've only done one thing, which was lie to the press to say we weren't involved"

Apparently that's ok then. And apparently knowing that you lie to the press, means we should believe now when you are talking to the press

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67736860

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2023, 01:05:39 PM »
"You have to wonder how much money it takes for Mone and her ilk to feel like they’ve arrived. When did pride and shame lose their value in the pointless pursuit of owning stuff? More stuff. Endless stuff. The loathsome, joyless weight of stuff."

I want to lay claim to that as mine own. Unfortunately, I'm not that eloquent. But Alison Moyet is.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2023, 01:09:15 PM »
And on that subject:

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2023, 04:06:08 PM »
Michelle Mone
"we've only done one thing, which was lie to the press to say we weren't involved"

Apparently that's ok then. And apparently knowing that you lie to the press, means we should believe now when you are talking to the press

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67736860

FTA
In an interview with the BBC, the couple apologised for denying their role in the deal for more than three years.
But a defiant Baroness Mone said: "I don't honestly see there is a case to answer. I can't see what we have done wrong."

I don't understand why you would deny your role in a deal for three years if you thought there was nothing wrong with what you are doing.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2023, 12:35:37 PM »
Quite rightly, Labour asking questions about Michael Gove's involvement. The ministers who knew she was lying while in govt and said nothing are culpable.

https://news.sky.com/story/labour-demands-gove-answers-questions-over-michelle-mone-ppe-controversy-13033237

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2023, 05:50:37 PM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2023, 05:52:54 PM »