Author Topic: "Have We Finally Become Ghosts in the Machine?"  (Read 414 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
"Have We Finally Become Ghosts in the Machine?"
« on: January 21, 2023, 10:27:01 AM »
There's a relatively simple and interesting idea being covered in this essay in whether metaphorically our interaction with technology means we are like the ghost in the machine as talked about in criticisms of dualism. The article though feels almost parody. It would be very funny if chunks of it are AI generated

https://www.thephilosopher1923.org/post/have-we-finally-become-ghosts-in-the-machine

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
Re: "Have We Finally Become Ghosts in the Machine?"
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 01:42:42 PM »

We ARE ghosts in a machine. We are spiritual beings having a human experience. Science has only reinforced this view, as I have explained in the 'Science and Spirituality' thread. 

PS: I tried reading the link but it was very difficult reading. Not sure what he was trying to say.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2023, 01:44:45 PM »

We ARE ghosts in a machine. We are spiritual beings having a human experience. Science has only reinforced this view, as I have explained in the 'Science and Spirituality' thread. 

PS: I tried reading the link but it was very difficult reading. Not sure what he was trying to say.
That's why I tried to summarise it. And all you've done in the other thread is make assertions - but that discussion is for that thread.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2023, 01:58:07 PM »
I think it was John Gribbin who said he didn't believe in the ghost in the machine. Not because there is no ghost but because there is no machine.

If we have become the ghost in the machine of technology isn't it a bit like junkie being the ghost in the addiction?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2023, 02:31:44 PM »
I think it was John Gribbin who said he didn't believe in the ghost in the machine. Not because there is no ghost but because there is no machine.

If we have become the ghost in the machine of technology isn't it a bit like junkie being the ghost in the addiction?
Not sure that adding another level of metaphor to an already strained one is useful but surely all ghosts in machines are essentially metaphorically 'addicted'?