Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 23881 times)

SteveH

• God? She's black.
Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #300 on: August 03, 2024, 06:55:14 PM »
'The Devil Next Door;, a documentary series on Netflix about the 1980s trial of John Demjanjuk, the Ukrainian-American accused of being 'Ivan the Terrible', a hideously cruel guard at Treblinka death camp during the war. In film of the trial, he appears to be burly, genial, not very-bright retired factory worker in his 60s. I've got one episode to go, but he was eventually acquitted of being I the T when evidence was produced that Ivan was killed during a prisoner uprising, but he was a guard.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #301 on: August 04, 2024, 10:12:23 PM »
Great news! I've just discovered that there are two whole series of 'Ghosts US' that I haven't seen! I'm now watching them on iplayer.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #302 on: August 08, 2024, 12:39:54 PM »
Rewatching Elementary, the US update of Sherlick Holmes. It stands up well particularly the seriousness that it treats addiction. Just watched an episode with the bow dead actor John Heard, and had one of those refractive moments of remembering him in this, and other similar series of similar times, and thinking oh yes I remember this but it being overlayed with bits from those other appearances.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #303 on: August 08, 2024, 01:58:59 PM »
Rewatching Elementary, the US update of Sherlick Holmes. It stands up well particularly the seriousness that it treats addiction. Just watched an episode with the bow dead actor John Heard, and had one of those refractive moments of remembering him in this, and other similar series of similar times, and thinking oh yes I remember this but it being overlayed with bits from those other appearances.
What's it on? Please say Netflix, so i can watch it!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #304 on: August 08, 2024, 02:00:26 PM »
What's it on? Please say Netflix, so i can watch it!
Ah, sorry, Prime

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #305 on: August 08, 2024, 02:02:17 PM »
Shit! >:( >:( >:(

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #306 on: August 08, 2024, 02:06:43 PM »
Shit! >:( >:( >:(
I use this site to follow what's new on streaming sites. You can tailor it to just show the streaming stuff you have but it's useful as it covers pretty well everything including ITVx and iPlayer.

https://www.justwatch.com/uk/new

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #307 on: August 08, 2024, 02:17:05 PM »
Just discovered I can watch it after all, because I'm signed up to Prime for purchases! ;D ;D ;D I've now got it saved at the top of my screen.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2024, 02:20:53 PM by SteveH »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #308 on: August 08, 2024, 04:49:15 PM »
Just discovered I can watch it after all, because I'm signed up to Prime for purchases! ;D ;D ;D I've now got it saved at the top of my screen.
Have you seen it before? I'd be interested in your opinion. 

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #309 on: August 08, 2024, 04:53:31 PM »
Have you seen it before? I'd be interested in your opinion.
Elementary? No. I'll let you know what I think when I've watched an episode or two.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #310 on: August 08, 2024, 04:59:59 PM »
Elementary? No. I'll let you know what I think when I've watched an episode or two.
Give it a few episodes, the update takes a little time to work. I think Jonny Lee Miller is great in the role. It inspired the Frankenstein casting with him and Cumberbatch switching roles but I found that unwatchable.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2024, 05:07:42 PM by Nearly Sane »

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #311 on: August 08, 2024, 09:10:36 PM »
Just watched episode one. Loved it! I'm glad Holmes s still English, and loved the Anglicisms he occasionally uses, such as "bollocks!" and "telly", which are amusingly incongruous in New York. No pipes, though, which was a pity, and i hate stubble - it's scruffy.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #312 on: August 15, 2024, 08:31:44 PM »
Watching Dial M for Murder on BBC 4. Ray Milland is great in it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0078kx8/dial-m-for-murder

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #313 on: August 16, 2024, 08:26:49 AM »
I quite like a good western - stumbled across a 7 part series called 'Godless' on Netflix - Jeff Daniels is great as the main baddie. Worth a watch.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #314 on: August 16, 2024, 03:37:07 PM »
There's some good stuff on there.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #315 on: August 19, 2024, 11:59:40 AM »
And latest episode watched has Julian Sands whose memory is entwined with seeing him in the airport and plane returning from Florence  a couple of years ago with my wife with whom I first watched A Room With A View in 1986. 

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #316 on: August 27, 2024, 09:46:30 PM »
The rabbit hole of watching old athletics runs on youtube. Steve Ovett setting the 1500m World Record

https://youtu.be/BwHSoE6fE44?si=IarxB8ClMXhmaUrN
« Last Edit: August 27, 2024, 09:57:21 PM by Nearly Sane »

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #317 on: August 29, 2024, 01:47:01 PM »
Watched the first episode of KAOS, released today on Netflix, with Jeff Goldblum as Zeus - quite quirky but enjoyed it enough to stick with it.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #318 on: August 29, 2024, 05:21:04 PM »
Still working my way through 'Elementary' Just watched the first part of a two-parter with Vinny Jones as Sebastian Moran. Both he and Jonny Lee Miller as Sherlock repeatedly refer to Arsenal FC as "The Arsenal". Who uses the definite article before it? I know it's made by Yanks, but surely Miller or Jones could have told them.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #319 on: August 29, 2024, 05:29:04 PM »
Still working my way through 'Elementary' Just watched the first part of a two-parter with Vinny Jones as Sebastian Moran. Both he and Jonny Lee Miller as Sherlock repeatedly refer to Arsenal FC as "The Arsenal". Who uses the definite article before it? I know it's made by Yanks, but surely Miller or Jones could have told them.

Does get used

https://angryofislington.com/2012/10/16/where-did-the-chant-1-0-to-the-arsenal-come-from/

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #320 on: August 29, 2024, 06:21:42 PM »
Actually, it isn't a two-parter; t just ended inconclusively. I think the thread gets picked up again later, when VJ reappears.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #321 on: August 30, 2024, 09:37:17 AM »

The partner is an Arsenal fan and does indeed refer to them as "The Arsenal".
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #322 on: August 30, 2024, 09:43:14 AM »
On Netflix I am watching "One Day" based on a book made into a film in 2011 and is now a limited series. So I  am familiar with the plot from the film, but it is so well acted and made that it is worth watching.

Pitch perfect performances.

I am aware that it is a tear-provoking finale because of the film. You've been warned.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #323 on: September 04, 2024, 09:27:40 PM »
New series of Slow Horses started being released today, so rewatching the previous three.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_Horses

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #324 on: September 15, 2024, 06:24:30 PM »
Having caught up with Slow Horses, awaiting next episode, watching the great State of Play.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_of_Play_(TV_series)