Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 24002 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2023, 12:25:25 AM »
I always find Britain's Lost Masterpieces fascinating but never notice when it's on - so catching up with series 4.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0009trk/britains-lost-masterpieces-series-4-1-oxford

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2023, 05:00:25 PM »
Back from Bonnie and Clyde at the Glasgow Film Festival. It stands up quite well and though thought shocking for the time is mild by today's standards - but then it's 56 years old

Intetesting introduction to it about the trials of getting it made including the abortive attempts of Godard to direct. One possible casting for Clyde was Bob Dylan, and for Bonnie, Cher!!!

SqueakyVoice

• Life. Don't talk to me about life.
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2023, 07:22:49 PM »
Paul Waterhouse's: Our Troubled Rivers on on BBC2, tonight at 8. It can be found on iPlayer as well.

There are entire series of Bob and Paul going fishing as well(still iPlayer; I suspect they may be a bit more relaxing than watching an hour of shit floating into the river. (Although on education or information, this PWOTR maybe better.)
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - D Adams

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2023, 10:59:28 PM »
Paul Waterhouse's: Our Troubled Rivers on on BBC2, tonight at 8. It can be found on iPlayer as well.

There are entire series of Bob and Paul going fishing as well(still iPlayer; I suspect they may be a bit more relaxing than watching an hour of shit floating into the river. (Although on education or information, this PWOTR maybe better.)
It seems that the campaign against this has been outsourced to celebrities with Paul Whitehouse and Feargal Sharkey's excellent

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2023, 10:56:28 AM »
So more out of hope than expectation I watched the first episode of the third series of "Star Trek: Picard" yesterday.

I seem to be one of the few people who actually liked the first season (the second was okay but I always found stories about Q to be a bit too silly and lazy).

As far as TV science fiction goes, most of it is silly escapism - and there's nothing wrong with that - but I've often wished somebody would adapt some of the better books for TV or film. Well, they did. Probably one of the best TV science fiction series I've seen in ages was The Expanse (Prime), which, even though I'd read the books first, I found very enjoyable. For once they managed to stick pretty closely to the books, although they only hint at some things that are properly explained in the books (like how come there seems to be reasonable gravity on asteroids). I've also yet to talk to anybody who's watched that didn't like it - no doubt somebody here will disagree.  ;)  Unfortunately they didn't finish the whole book series, though.

Also the first season of The Peripheral wasn't at all bad. Prime again, and from a William Gibson book (although, from memory, I don't think the plot was very similar, they just seem to have taken the main idea and characters).

Apparently Netflix is adapting The Three Body Problem, which is the first part of an excellent trilogy by Cixin Liu. No idea if the adaptation will be any good or if they'll have the courage to do the whole trilogy (which would take us literally to the end of the universe and beyond).
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

SqueakyVoice

« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2023, 05:52:03 PM »
As far as TV science fiction goes, most of it is silly escapism - and there's nothing wrong with that ...
The best selling I've ever watched is (the reboot of) Battlestar Galatica. As far as I know, it's not available on any stream. I remember  the first episode I ever saw was 3 (called 34, IIRC) There loads of paranoia and claustrophobia, until it drifts away a bit towards the end but well worth watching (& thinking about).
I am Legend isn't 'normal' sci fi, but the book is far, far better and the film is rubbish. The only science is about a virus (or bateria?) contaminating (nearly) everyone. It's well worth reading, just not the book.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - D Adams

SqueakyVoice

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2023, 05:53:22 PM »
P.S. These days, I'm  watching StarTrek, Enterprise but no books.

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2023, 06:18:40 PM »
The best selling I've ever watched is (the reboot of) Battlestar Galatica.

I have seen that, and as far as I recall, it was better than most. I'd still rate The Expanse as better, though.

Something that I didn't expect to like, but thought I'd watch the start of after reading good reviews, and am now enjoying is The Last of Us (Sky Atlantic) - not really science fiction (except in the loosest sense) but not your usual zombie apocalypse mindless gore-fest either.

Don't think we'll ever get the very best science fiction books (the ones that really make you think) on TV or film because they would be very hard to film and probably be too demanding for a wide enough audience to be worth trying.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2023, 05:00:18 PM »
Off to see the 'World Premiere' of Cassius X now. I was invited because of being the undefeated heavyweight champion of Babbity Bowsters. Looking forward to it. The book by Stuart Cosgrove was brilliant.

https://glasgowfilm.org/glasgow-film-festival/shows/cassius-x-becoming-ali-nc-15
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 05:29:22 PM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2023, 09:57:55 PM »
Off to see the 'World Premiere' of Cassius X now. I was invited because of being the undefeated heavyweight champion of Babbity Bowsters. Looking forward to it. The book by Stuart Cosgrove was brilliant.

https://glasgowfilm.org/glasgow-film-festival/shows/cassius-x-becoming-ali-nc-15
Excellent, thoroughly recommend.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2023, 02:09:02 PM »
Been rewatching Endeavour because of the new series and think it stands up well. Roger Allam is brilliant in it. I think though the perfect end was this episode.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt8700024/

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2023, 01:41:57 PM »
And the last episode so far screened in Fake or Fortune is about a painting that I have seen, though many many years ago, in Port Glasgow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001c26z/fake-or-fortune-series-10-4-flemish-old-master

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2023, 03:21:12 PM »
I've just come across a series called "Four Weddings and a Funeral" on All4. It is a kind of sequel to the film.

It is entirely what you would expect. Very clean London Streets. Americans. Quirky Brits. The particular brand that is so identified with Richard Curtis. This time though it is not a totally white affair.

It is very soporific, except that the saccharine injected into the series fights off those effects.

And yet, I enjoy it. Go figure.

(It was made in 2019 so it is possible people have already seen it if its been on tV before, I wasn't aware of it.)
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2023, 07:42:48 PM »
The past is a different country, thank feck!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m001gznc/come-dancing

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2023, 08:16:55 PM »
The past is a different country, thank feck!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/m001gznc/come-dancing
Terry Wogan? What happened to Victor Sylvester, the dancing weather forecaster (snow, snow, thick thick snow)?
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2023, 08:25:57 PM »
Terry Wogan? What happened to Victor Sylvester, the dancing weather forecaster (snow, snow, thick thick snow)?
He appears to have done Dancing Club - which I don't remember.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Silvester

To.be fair, the lack of celebrity razzmazztazz made it quite touching. Tonight's edition was from the Locarno Ballroom in Glasgow in 1977 which only three years later was Tiffany's where I went to see gigs at. The youngest dancers were 16 so would be 61 now. They looked in their mid 30s then.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2023, 08:29:45 PM »
The last of us.
Series finale in a few hours.
I hope it's as good as the rest of the series!
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2023, 10:22:06 PM »
Last episode of Endeavour over. Suitably elegiac.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2023, 09:30:01 AM »
Last episode of Endeavour over. Suitably elegiac.
Rather good review of the last of Endeavour

Warning - Spoilers Galore, Sweeties

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/mar/12/farewell-endeavour-what-a-perfect-end-to-one-of-tvs-classic-shows

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2023, 11:49:36 AM »
Watched the first couple of the original Van Der Valks. 1. Very little happens. 2. They drink seriously. Indeed the first one seems to revolve around how can Van Der Valk drink while working.

And a rounds of genever and Amstel Red at lunch...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 12:05:12 PM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2023, 12:05:45 PM »
And this delight appeared on my timeline elsewhere

https://youtu.be/jHCsOFWuIb4

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2023, 10:20:15 AM »
Watching Beat The Devil with Bogart trying to work out when he is being dubbed by Peter Sellars

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2023, 12:17:02 PM »
Torchwood, again. It's deeply silly, but gripping - like its parent, Dr Who.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2023, 12:19:33 PM »
Torchwood, again. It's deeply silly, but gripping - like its parent, Dr Who.
The third series was the one I liked best. The fourth series....

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2023, 10:12:56 PM »
Just seen the first episode of 'Great Expectations' - very atmospheric. I was quite chuffed to recognise the bridge over the Thames at Marlow in the opening scene, though I don't remember Pip attempting suicide in my reading of it, many years ago. Olivia Coleman is of course brilliant, but a bit more well-nourished than I imagined Miss Havisham.