Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 23959 times)

SteveH

• God? She's black.
Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2023, 06:21:01 AM »
Just watched all four episodes of this on iplayer, about an allegedly haunted farmhouse in North Wales - and if that sounds familiiar, there's a good reason, as you'll discover if you watch it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p0g31444/paranormal-the-girl-the-ghost-and-the-gravestone
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 06:24:24 AM by SteveH »
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #101 on: August 24, 2023, 08:18:40 AM »
Just watched the first-ever episode of 'Life On Mars' from 2006. Even the (then-) present-day episodes look dated now, with big, clunky computer screens and ordinary, non-smart mobiles. Very convincing recreation of 1973 Manchester, with the garish orange SELNEC buses I remember from my early 20s in Stockport, and other things.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 12:00:06 PM by SteveH »
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: August 27, 2023, 09:21:04 PM »
Rewatching Person of Interest and see Julian Sands appearing and feel quite sad

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person_of_Interest_(TV_series)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 09:26:06 PM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2023, 10:10:06 PM »
Found the first 3 series of Rumpole are on Britbox.

SqueakyVoice

• Life. Don't talk to me about life.
« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2023, 09:32:42 PM »
There are a few Aussie comedies on iPlayer.

I've finished off Colin from Accounts, now watching No Activity. Both have good amounts of dead pan humour.

IIRC, there was a series before based in a mother and daughter living together in an Aussie Australian suburb, but I can't  remember its name. It might have been some kind of Oz predecessor (or I could be wrong).
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - D Adams

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #105 on: September 06, 2023, 09:40:05 PM »
There are a few Aussie comedies on iPlayer.

I've finished off Colin from Accounts, now watching No Activity. Both have good amounts of dead pan humour.

IIRC, there was a series before based in a mother and daughter living together in an Aussie Australian suburb, but I can't  remember its name. It might have been some kind of Oz predecessor (or I could be wrong).
Kath & Kim?

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #106 on: September 06, 2023, 10:30:07 PM »
Watching lots of recent episodes of 'Casualty', which, prior to this binge, I hadn't watched for years. It's shite, but oddly addictive. I was amazed after the latest episode I watched to discover that the actress playing an old woman who'd accidentally taken a double dose of beta-blockers was Amanda Barrie, 60s siren and occasional 'Carry-on' star.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: September 06, 2023, 10:45:30 PM »
Watching lots of recent episodes of 'Casualty', which, prior to this binge, I hadn't watched for years. It's shite, but oddly addictive. I was amazed after the latest episode I watched to discover that the actress playing an old woman who'd accidentally taken a double dose of beta-blockers was Amanda Barrie, 60s siren and occasional 'Carry-on' star.
She is older than Judy Parfitt, Sister Monica Joan in Call The Midwife, whom I have seen at much earlier times on The Avengers, and Rumpole, recently

SqueakyVoice

« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2023, 12:55:46 PM »
Kath & Kim?
That's it. I kept thinking it was Mel and someone, so I looked it up and the (production) location was Melbourne.
Thanks NS.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - D Adams

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: September 07, 2023, 01:55:21 PM »
That's it. I kept thinking it was Mel and someone, so I looked it up and the (production) location was Melbourne.
Thanks NS.
  And there was Mel and Kim.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_and_Kim

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: September 12, 2023, 09:49:55 AM »
Watched the first part of Laura Kuennsberg's "State of Chaos" last night. Thoroughly engrossing in a nightmarish sort of way.

Not generally a fan of LK but her access to top level civil servants and advisors is impressive.

Really worth a watch if you can stand the pain of being reminded of the last 7 years of Conservative shitshow.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: September 12, 2023, 11:48:07 AM »
Rewatching Ancient Invisible Cities.

At the end of the one on Cairo, the presenter reminds us that the when the Romans took over Egypt, they were closer in time to us, than they were to the people who built the Great Pyramid. One of those things that while true seens barely comprehensible.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b0bjj8x9/ancient-invisible-cities

SqueakyVoice

« Reply #112 on: September 23, 2023, 02:26:13 PM »
I haven't  watched any yet, but last night I found Dr Who is on ITVX. It's  every episode from the very beginning up to Eccleston's re-vamping.
I looked at it a bit and every Dr is available, all the way back to Hartnell.
When I was looking every episode seemed to be 1/2 and hour and most series (1-20something) had about 13 episodes.

So watching it could take quite a while...

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: September 23, 2023, 02:55:18 PM »
I haven't  watched any yet, but last night I found Dr Who is on ITVX. It's  every episode from the very beginning up to Eccleston's re-vamping.
I looked at it a bit and every Dr is available, all the way back to Hartnell.
When I was looking every episode seemed to be 1/2 and hour and most series (1-20something) had about 13 episodes.

So watching it could take quite a while...
The early series have 30 to 40 episodes but some are missing. Some of the missing episodes are replaced with animations which are pretty good.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #114 on: September 23, 2023, 03:56:42 PM »
 I've been watching a number of true-crime murder documentaries recently, most from Scotland {where they call it "mudder"} but one about the notorious murder of Lin and Megan Russell, mother and daughter, in Kent in 1996. All very fascinating, if a bit depressing.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: September 23, 2023, 04:24:18 PM »
I've been watching a number of true-crime murder documentaries recently, most from Scotland {where they call it "mudder"} but one about the notorious murder of Lin and Megan Russell, mother and daughter, in Kent in 1996. All very fascinating, if a bit depressing.
We actually call it murrrrrderrrrrr

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2023, 10:33:26 AM »
Because I got a free month of Apple TV+, I've been binge watching Foundation (based on the famous Asimov trilogy) and Silo (based on a trilogy by Hugh Howey). So far, both are actually very good. They've messed with the story quite a lot in Foundation but I guess that's to be expected with an adaptation for TV (and to bring it up to date, it was written in the 40s and 50s). Same goes for Silo (mostly lots of details about characters that wasn't in the books) but still enjoying it despite knowing the answers to the story's biggest mysteries (assuming they don't change it from the books).

There does seem to have been a marked improvement in TV science fiction recently, especially noted in the magnificent series The Expanse (based on the first six of a nine novel series by James S. A. Corey). Also The Peripheral (based on William Gibson book) was rather good but seems to have been cancelled after one series due to the ongoing US strikes.

Also planning to catch up with War of the Worlds (2019 adaptation) which I watched the first series of before it disappeared to Disney+. I'm again taking advantage of an offer of a very low subscription for three months. Don't intend to pay for either service after the offers end.

For information: technical note if you want Apple TV+ and don't (like me) have any Apple devices.

You must do things in this order, otherwise it can all go horribly wrong. First, create an 'Apple ID' at https://appleid.apple.com/ and add some payment method. Then, use the ID to log in to iTunes (there's a Windows app on the Microsoft store); you don't have to pay and you don't have to listen to anything, just log in so you have an account linked to iTunes (don't ask me why you need to do this but it complains otherwise). Then you can sign up to TV and claim any offer code you may have, or just pay.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: October 01, 2023, 01:08:39 PM »
Was in the mood for some 90s fairly mindlesss action films yesterday so started off with Point Break. One of the all time great endings for such films. 

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: October 07, 2023, 12:52:22 PM »
News on the case
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-67038913

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: October 07, 2023, 03:06:09 PM »
As it's miserable weather as mentioned elsewhere, decided to watch a musical as is my wont on such dreich days. Going to Verona in November so Kiss Me, Kate - Now TV seemed to have the 1953 film version with Howard Keel and Kathryn Grayson but despite saying that, it's a filmed performance of the 1999 London revival which is all to the good. Anyway here is Rachel York from it singing So In Love

https://youtu.be/i31KAYUWRSc?si=310vRiOqhD2A--S2
« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 03:36:54 PM by Nearly Sane »

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #120 on: October 07, 2023, 05:35:35 PM »
Series 5 of 'Ghosts' on iplayer. I was very pleased to discover yesterday that the whole series has just gone on it - I was beginning to fear that it'd been cancelled. Also 'Ashes to Ashes', which I think has also only just gone on.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: October 07, 2023, 08:55:38 PM »
Series 5 of 'Ghosts' on iplayer. I was very pleased to discover yesterday that the whole series has just gone on it - I was beginning to fear that it'd been cancelled. Also 'Ashes to Ashes', which I think has also only just gone on.
They have also added Cardiac Arrest recently. Worth watching.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2023, 09:01:55 PM by Nearly Sane »

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: October 07, 2023, 09:56:37 PM »

Make the most of it. Series 5 is the last one.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

SqueakyVoice

« Reply #123 on: October 09, 2023, 05:36:35 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0791mqd/shakespeare-live-from-htm Moore-rsc
Most of it is v worth watching, after an hour or so Ian McKellen reads a Tom Moore speech https://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/ianmckellenshakespearethomasmoore.htm (also found after I checked how to spell his name). The speech itself is excorriating and I doubt whether IMcK is acting at all.It might be easier to look it up by searching for RSC, on iPlayer;I'm rubbish at links.
https://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/ianmckellenshakespearethomasmoore.htm
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 05:41:14 PM by SqueakyVoice »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: October 12, 2023, 08:44:57 PM »
60s versions of The War of the Roses plays.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001r3hj