Author Topic: What is the definition of philosophical empiricism?  (Read 759 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

What is the definition of philosophical empiricism?
« on: February 01, 2023, 06:39:54 PM »
From Wikipedia

In philosophy, empiricism is an epistemological theory that holds that knowledge or justification comes only or primarily from sensory experience.[1] It is one of several views within epistemology, along with rationalism and skepticism. Empiricism emphasizes the central role of empirical evidence in the formation of ideas, rather than innate ideas or traditions.[2] However, empiricists may argue that traditions (or customs) arise due to relations of previous sensory experiences

Sebastian Toe

Re: What is the definition of philosophical empiricism?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 06:50:02 PM »

From Wikipedia

In philosophy, empiricism is an epistemological theory that holds that knowledge or justification comes only or primarily from sensory experience.[1] It is one of several views within epistemology, along with rationalism and skepticism. Empiricism emphasizes the central role of empirical evidence in the formation of ideas, rather than innate ideas or traditions.[2] However, empiricists may argue that traditions (or customs) arise due to relations of previous sensory experiences

primarily

for the most part; mainly.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 06:57:12 PM »
From Wikipedia

primarily

for the most part; mainly.
Or it means all knowledge comes in the first place from empirical evidence.
If you mean mainly I have no real beef with that since it accepts knowledge could come from somewhere else which would kill many atheists arguments on this board. I'm not sure that's empiricism though.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 07:29:20 PM »
Or it means all knowledge comes in the first place from empirical evidence.
If you mean mainly I have no real beef with that since it accepts knowledge could come from somewhere else which would kill many atheists arguments on this board. I'm not sure that's empiricism though.
.. it's from the source you provided and took effort to not highlight that part of the definition.
I'll leave that for anyone viewing to note
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 05:49:38 PM »
And then there was Berkeley.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 06:59:38 PM »
And then there was Berkeley.
Bishop or Busby?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2023, 07:09:34 PM »

Dicky Underpants

« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 03:07:42 PM by Dicky Underpants »
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2023, 10:47:38 AM »
I feel the need to do my Dick Emery's Mandy impression.
If this board was not filled with those who are like the dusty bottles of wine at the back of the wine cellar, I would think that would need an explanatory note. Just before Christmas I was out with a mixed age group of friends including some with their 18 - 22 year old children. The bar we were in has an upstairs with a very low, for me, ceiling of about 180cm. I was returning with some drinks and making my way across to the table, I declared 'The bells, the bells, Esmerelda!', to the bafflement of the younger members of the party.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2023, 11:18:27 AM »
If this board was not filled with those who are like the dusty bottles of wine at the back of the wine cellar, I would think that would need an explanatory note. Just before Christmas I was out with a mixed age group of friends including some with their 18 - 22 year old children. The bar we were in has an upstairs with a very low, for me, ceiling of about 180cm. I was returning with some drinks and making my way across to the table, I declared 'The bells, the bells, Esmerelda!', to the bafflement of the younger members of the party.
I think you mean ''Dusty bottles of Whine'', don't you?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2023, 11:26:32 AM »
I think you mean ''Dusty bottles of Whine'', don't you?
Certainly there's quite a lot of rum posts, absinthe of reason, and bordeauxing on nonsense.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2023, 11:38:16 AM »
Certainly there's quite a lot of rum posts, absinthe of reason, and bordeauxing on nonsense.
And many a Noilly prat too.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2023, 11:46:59 AM »
And many a Noilly prat too.
Que Syrah Syrah!
Albert Einstein