Author Topic: Vlad's laws of antitheism  (Read 5519 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Vlad's laws of antitheism
« on: February 05, 2023, 09:45:47 AM »
Vlad's laws of antitheism and goddodging:

When the extent of religious minority is exaggerated.

When the extent of political power of religion is exaggerated.

When the level of coercion, threat of arrest and penalty against the religious, actual or desired, exceeds that alleged of religion.

When one's national religious statistics are taken as globally representative.

When freedom from religion exceeds freedom of religion.

When one advocates religious activity, expression or signage to be removed from the public forum.

When the wierdness of argument matches or exceeds that of religious argument.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 09:49:26 AM by Walt Zingmatilder »

Sebastian Toe

Re: Vlad's laws of antitheism
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2023, 09:50:17 AM »
Is that a worldwide set of laws or is it limited geographically in some way?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2023, 10:19:25 AM »
That, Seb,  is up to you. But it is dedicated to my friends on this board and HumanistUK.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2023, 10:32:54 AM »

When the level of coercion, threat of arrest and penalty against the religious, actual or desired, exceeds that alleged of religion.

When one advocates religious activity, expression or signage to be removed from the public forum.

I suspect a wee bit of refinement is need, Vlad, plus some accompaying information: for example, how is "wierdness of argument"(sic) measured in order to determine that it "matches or exceeds that of religious argument".

I fear it is back to the drawing board for you!

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2023, 10:47:43 AM »
I suspect a wee bit of refinement is need, Vlad, plus some accompaying information: for example, how is "wierdness of argument"(sic) measured in order to determine that it "matches or exceeds that of religious argument".

That's up to you though.
Did you just wanted to send me back to the drawing board because you just love to task someone with something?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2023, 11:07:53 AM »
Seb,

The latter - specifically, it's limited geographically to the contents of Vlad's imagination. 
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2023, 11:17:00 AM »
Seb,

The latter - specifically, it's limited geographically to the contents of Vlad's imagination.
I'd be surprised if you didn't see yourself in the penultimate law.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2023, 11:31:09 AM »
Vlad,

I'd be surprised if you didn't see yourself in the penultimate law.

As I've only ever argued for the removal of privileged access by right that various faiths arrogate to themselves I have no idea why you'd be surprised about that. If though religions want to put signs up outside their buildings, pay for advertising (subject to the relevant rules about advertising) etc just like other private members' clubs do that's no-one's business but their own.   

God

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2023, 11:40:46 AM »
That, Seb,  is up to you.
Pretty pointless calling them Vlad's laws then isn't it?
But then again a lot of what you post on here is pointless so I'm not entirely surprised.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2023, 11:53:10 AM »
Vlad,

Vlad's laws prejudices of antitheism and goddodging:

FIFY

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2023, 12:08:24 PM »
Pretty pointless calling them Vlad's laws then isn't it?
But then again a lot of what you post on here is pointless so I'm not entirely surprised.
That,Seb, is up to you.

Outrider

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2023, 09:28:52 AM »

Surely applies both ways?

Subjective, unless you have a clear metric for measuring political power that I've not come across before.

Subjective, again, and geographically massively varied.

Vs when historic data is taken as representative? Vs when 'religiosity' is seen as some monolothic enorsement?

And when is that?

And when is that?

Again, subjective. Reality's 'weird' is religion's raison d'etre, after all...

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2023, 10:50:15 AM »
Surely applies both ways?
Maybe, but many antitheists think they are immune to the ''both ways'' e,g, antitheists think they can't be fundamentalist or evangelical.
What I'm talking about here is antitheists exaggerating the implications of statistics for example when the number of religious slipped down to over 40% by census. Humanist UK as reported particularly in the Guardian and Independent commented that the religious infrastructure in UK life could now be dismantled on a 'let's face it, religions time is up' basis
Subjective, unless you have a clear metric for measuring political power that I've not come across before.
Measurement of membership of the Houses of Parliament. Several Hundred members of members representing secularism and 24 representing spirituality.
Subjective, again, and geographically massively varied.
Subjective? Not if someone can have somebody penalised perhaps to the point of imprisonment for not allowing a wedding in that ''nice little church.''.
Vs when historic data is taken as representative? Vs when 'religiosity' is seen as some monolothic enorsement?
Since posting these laws we have had a claim on this forum that Atheism was on the rise. Yes but in only a few countries and the rise is unable to match the rise in the numbers of religious globally
And when is that?
Certainly when a secular countries legal situation looks more like it could have been written by Humanist UK than theists. When there are section 28 type rules against religion in the UK perhaps?
Again, subjective. Reality's 'weird' is religion's raison d'etre, after all...
Subjective. I am conceding to the prevailing cultural empiricism here however some atheists around here have offered Unknown unknowns to get round theistic argument, Circular heirarchies of causation, revoking the principle of sufficient reason, infinite regress, Brute fact etc all weird in their way. All with a straight face.

Outrider

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2023, 01:12:15 PM »
Maybe, but many antitheists think they are immune to the ''both ways'' e,g, antitheists think they can't be fundamentalist or evangelical.

You'd have to explain what 'fundamental' a fundamentalist antitheist was cleaving to, but I can see that there are some evangelical atheists - I don't accept that they're seen in the same light, and it's surely apparent to you that religious evangelists are given a broader scope than the atheist equivalent.

What I'm talking about here is antitheists exaggerating the implications of statistics for example when the number of religious slipped down to over 40% by census. Humanist UK as reported particularly in the Guardian and Independent commented that the religious infrastructure in UK life could now be dismantled on a 'let's face it, religions time is up' basis.

It's a trend that's been happening for some time, and in the latest iteration it's not slowing down - it's a valid take that religion has had its day, and to predict that the explicitly religious as a proportion of the populace will be negligible soon. You could do a more detailed statistical analysis if that shows that they're mistaken, you could argue that despite that small proportion religion still has an important place in society at large, or you could argue that even if the religious proportion is small that it's still of cultural significance and should be respected or treasured or supported. It's not an unreasonable stance to take, though, on the face of the available information.

Measurement of membership of the Houses of Parliament. Several Hundred members of members representing secularism and 24 representing spirituality.

No. Several hundred representing the spread of belief systems because they are not reserved particularly based on faith, and then 26 reserved seats for one particular cult of one sect of one religious branch, with divested powers to also manage their own affairs and exemption or partial exemption from some of the legislation (taxes, equality) that everyone else has to abide by. Regardless of whether religion remains relevant in the UK, now or in the long term, the special privilege for the Church of England in a notionally multi-cultural, egalitarian society is untenable.

The various religious faiths are already adequately represented amongst the various Lords, some of whom are religious and some of whom are not, some of whom are Church of England, or other Christian, or Muslim, or Hindu - what is the justification for additional reserved seats for the CofE?

Subjective? Not if someone can have somebody penalised perhaps to the point of imprisonment for not allowing a wedding in that ''nice little church.''

And, currently, they can't be. At the same time, though, they want to be able to conduct state business, but be able to exclude some members of the state. Again, untenable in the long term, something has to give. Like Archbishop Welby, I can see disestablishment as the way forward.

Since posting these laws we have had a claim on this forum that Atheism was on the rise. Yes but in only a few countries and the rise is unable to match the rise in the numbers of religious globally.

Only in a few countries? I'd suggest in many countries, perhaps even most - it might remain a small contingent in some, but I suspect it's increasing (or, at least, the reporting of it is?). Is it approaching the numbers of the explicitly religious worldwide, perhaps not yet, but given that we see a direct correlation between formal education and reduction in religiosity we either have to commit to keeping third-world places uneducated or face the prospect that it's growth is likely to spread.

Certainly when a secular countries legal situation looks more like it could have been written by Humanist UK than theists.

As it should. Humanists focus on the humanity, not the ideology, but theists are at least influenced by the theology. A legislature without overt religion does not necessarily exclude the religious, but a legislature with overt religion does exclude the non-religious, or those of different religions, or those with heretical views from within the religion...

When there are section 28 type rules against religion in the UK perhaps?

If that happens, let me know. If it's not just, you know...
...exaggerating the implications...

Subjective.

Absolutely, so probably shouldn't be legislated on.

I am conceding to the prevailing cultural empiricism here

I think that's paraphrased as 'acknowledging reality'.

...however some atheists around here have offered Unknown unknowns to get round theistic argument, Circular heirarchies of causation, revoking the principle of sufficient reason, infinite regress, Brute fact etc all weird in their way. All with a straight face.

Circular reasoning, if you find, should get called out. Revoking the principle of sufficient reason is only a fair complaint if you've established the principle in the first place - I've not been involved hugely in those arguments, it's not a concept I'm up to speed on.

Infinite regress, as I've said before, is not an argument it's a description. If you wish to argue against the notion of an infinite regress you need, you know, an argument, and not just a header.

Brute fact? If there were brute facts in support of theism we wouldn't have the discussions.

Straight faces... humour is as subjective as anything else. I can characterise, say, group prayer as ritual spellcasting, where the congregation makes an entreaty to a supernatural being, drinks a special potion and then seals their pact with a magic word at the end. That's amusing, to me, and not inaccurate, but I appreciate that's my viewpoint - that you might not find it funny doesn't make it wrong, and the fact that atheists might be saying something that seems funny to you at first glance without cracking a smile doesn't meant that they're wrong either.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2023, 02:12:44 PM »

It's a trend that's been happening for some time, and in the latest iteration it's not slowing down - it's a valid take that religion has had its day,
Not at over 40%, Nor at over 30% or 20%. That's just like saying any minority has had it's day.
And, currently, they can't be. At the same time, though, they want to be able to conduct state business, but be able to exclude some members of the state. Again, untenable in the long term, something has to give. Like Archbishop Welby, I can see disestablishment as the way forward.
How is disestablishment going to prevent punishment of priests who take God's word literally? There will still be coercion egged on by the axegrinders at HumanistUK who want payback.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2023, 02:24:28 PM »
Vlad,

How is disestablishment going to prevent punishment of priests who take God's word literally? There will still be coercion egged on by the axegrinders at HumanistUK who want payback.

What would “take God's word literally” entail in practice, and if whatever it was was unlawful why shouldn’t those priests be “punished” (ie prosecuted)? 

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2023, 02:28:54 PM »
You'd have to explain what 'fundamental' a fundamentalist antitheist was cleaving to.
A more profound expression of the 'anti' in 'antitheist'. Dawkins is well known for criticising atheists for not giving more throat to their objections of theism which Harris takes to mean that it may be necessary for western secular society to resort to Nuclear first strike.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2023, 02:31:43 PM »
Vlad,

What would “take God's word literally” entail in practice, and if whatever it was was unlawful why shouldn’t those priests be “punished” (ie prosecuted)?
Or jailed even.....Not performing a marriage in that ''Nice little country church'' that someone wanted.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2023, 02:39:20 PM »
Vlad,

Or jailed even.....Not performing a marriage in that ''Nice little country church'' that someone wanted.

But what you said was: “How is disestablishment going to prevent punishment of priests who take God's word literally? There will still be coercion egged on by the axegrinders at HumanistUK who want payback".

So far as I know there’s nothing illegal about not performing marriages in country churches is there so what “punishment” do you think might be attempted?   

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2023, 02:51:14 PM »
Vlad,

But what you said was: “How is disestablishment going to prevent punishment of priests who take God's word literally? There will still be coercion egged on by the axegrinders at HumanistUK who want payback".

So far as I know there’s nothing illegal about not performing marriages in country churches is there so what “punishment” do you think might be attempted?   
Not at the moment no but then Vlad's law isn't happening in all respects in all the world. We would be back in ''Gay cake controversy'' territory again.
I seem to recall, back along, atheists argue that Christian marriage ceremonies should not be considered as marriages though but whether it was on here or another message board and which, I could no longer provide those details.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2023, 02:59:29 PM »
Vlad,

Not at the moment no but then Vlad's law isn't happening in all respects in all the world. We would be back in ''Gay cake controversy'' territory again.
I seem to recall, back along, atheists argue that Christian marriage ceremonies should not be considered as marriages though but whether it was on here or another message board and which, I could no longer provide those details.

Ah, so Vlad's "law" is actually rather: "Vlad's fever dream imaginings with no supporting evidence to suggest they apply now or will apply in future".

Do you not think "somewhat paranoid speculations" would have been more appropriate than "law" here?   

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2023, 03:01:50 PM »
Eh?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2023, 03:05:04 PM »
NS,

Eh,?

Vlad seems to have been smashing the bath salts pretty hard recently...  ;)

God

splashscuba

• might be an atheist, I just don't believe in gods
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2023, 08:15:30 PM »

Its got zero to do with atheism which is just not believing in gods
I have an infinite number of belief systems cos there are an infinite number of things I don't believe in.

I respect your right to believe whatever you want. I don't have to respect your beliefs.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2023, 08:53:04 PM »
Its got zero to do with atheism which is just not believing in gods
It's about antitheism though which is more than just not believing in Gods.