Author Topic: https://unherd.com/2022/12/secularisation-is-leading-britain-astray/  (Read 8100 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Not always a big Giles Fraser fan but I found this quite refreshing after  the secular humanist triumphalism regarding the current position of the church.

https://unherd.com/2022/12/secularisation-is-leading-britain-astray/

ProfessorDavey

Re: https://unherd.com/2022/12/secularisation-is-leading-britain-astray/
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 05:07:17 PM »
Not always a big Giles Fraser fan but I found this quite refreshing after  the secular humanist triumphalism regarding the current position of the church.

https://unherd.com/2022/12/secularisation-is-leading-britain-astray/
In a way I think that Giles Fraser is the epitome of the issue that the CofE (and actually other christian denominations in the UK) seem to be failing to get.

I've always found him rather compelling in the manner in which he gets his message across, articulate on paper and when he speaks. But, and here is the big but, in many respects I just don't agree with him however well he might come across in speaking or in writing.

The CofE and other churches seemed to be fixated with trying to be Giles Fraser - and by that I mean that they consider that the reason that they are being increasingly ignored by the population is all about how they get there message across. If as an organisation they were as good as Fraser at getting their message across them all would be well. So they create yet another initiative aimed at using a new way to get the message across, or to target people they consider that haven't heard that message. If only they could find the right way to get the message across then everyone would be flocking back to their doors.

But all the time they fail to recognise the elephant in the room - the issue isn't the way you get the message across, it is the message itself. People simply do not believe it and it doesn't matter how may times and in how many different ways you tell the same message, those people still won't believe it, because they find the message fundamentally unbelievable.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 05:33:54 PM by ProfessorDavey »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 05:50:09 PM »
In a way I think that Giles Fraser is the epitome of the issue that the CofE (and actually other christian denominations in the UK) seem to be failing to get.

I've always found him rather compelling in the manner in which he gets his message across, articulate on paper and when he speaks. But, and here is the big but, in many respects I just don't agree with him however well he might come across in speaking or in writing.

The CofE and other churches seemed to be fixated with trying to be Giles Fraser - and by that I mean that they consider that the reason that they are being increasingly ignored by the population is all about how they get there message across. If as an organisation they were as good as Fraser at getting their message across them all would be well. So they create yet another initiative aimed at using a new way to get the message across, or to target people they consider that haven't heard that message. If only they could find the right way to get the message across then everyone would be flocking back to their doors.

But all the time they fail to recognise the elephant in the room - the issue isn't the way you get the message across, it is the message itself. People simply do not believe it and it doesn't matter how may times and in how many different ways you tell the same message, those people still won't believe it, because they find the message fundamentally unbelievable.
I don't think Fraser thinks of religion as a theory to be scientifically or forensically or even intellectually to be grasped or rejected in favour of a humanism based somehow on science  but a something acquired within an active community. In other words I don't think you get Fraser but then He has the ability to shock and surprise. The upshot is I think he invites us to compare the secular humanist view of the church decline with a model where the decline is due to the space secularism seems to leave people and communities namely as the space declines so do communities of all sorts. In other words post consumerism we can look forward to the revival of all kinds of communities.

The bad news would then be for Humanist UK, doomed to appeal largely only to well heeled intellectual types and only actually bothering those of a theological and philosophical bent.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 06:07:48 PM »
I don't think Fraser thinks of religion as a theory to be scientifically or forensically or even intellectually to be grasped or rejected in favour of a humanism based somehow on science  but a something acquired within an active community.

In other words I don't think you get Fraser but then He has the ability to shock and surprise.
But you are slipping into the same error - if only we 'got' Fraser then we'd agree with him. Nope, I get Fraser, he is actually typically rather articulate and clear in his arguments - the issue is that I often don't agree with him.

But he is all over the place in this article - on the one hand he wants 'fire' from the pulpit, yet he also wants people to feel at home and welcome whoever they are. Well you can't have both - if you breath fire from the pulpit don't be surprised if some people will be offended, affronted, feel deeply unwelcome and even threatened.

The upshot is I think he invites us to compare the secular humanist view of the church decline with a model where the decline is due to the space secularism seems to leave people and communities namely as the space declines so do communities of all sorts. In other words post consumerism we can look forward to the revival of all kinds of communities.
But once again I disagree - our communities are doing fine thanks very much, not because of religion (which massively over-eggs the pudding in terms of its role in modern societies) but in spite of it. We have just been through probably the greatest challenge for society and communities certainly in my lifetime, namely COVID. And guess what society bottom-up responded brilliantly, creating all sorts of support and social structures to ensure that people were OK and all the while the doors of the churches were locked shut. We didn't need organised religion with all its convening and resource advantage. People, rank and file ordinary people, people of all faiths and of none simply stepped up to the plate.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 06:13:07 PM by ProfessorDavey »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2023, 06:18:52 PM »
Vlad,

You might want to sign this and share.

https://chng.it/7PQBz985DF

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2023, 06:29:23 PM »
But you are slipping into the same error - if only we 'got' Fraser then we'd agree with him.
Nope, I get Fraser, he is actually typically rather articulate and clear in his arguments - the issue is that I often don't agree with him.

But he is all over the place in this article - on the one hand he wants 'fire' from the pulpit, yet he also wants people to feel at home and welcome whoever they are. Well you can't have both - if you breath fire from the pulpit don't be surprised if some people will be offended, affronted, feel deeply unwelcome and even threatened.
But once again I disagree - our communities are doing fine thanks very much, not because of religion (which massively over-eggs the pudding in terms of its role in modern societies) but in spite of it. We have just been through probably the greatest challenge for society and communities certainly in my lifetime, namely COVID. And guess what society bottom-up responded brilliantly, creating all sorts of support and social structures to ensure that people were OK and all the while the doors of the churches were locked shut. We didn't need organised religion with all its convening and resource advantage. People, rank and file ordinary people, people of all faiths and of none simply stepped up to the plate.
[/quote] I'm not sure Covid was Britain's finest hour as you suggest given the response,the number of deaths, and that people just wanted to forget it as demonstrated in the displays of forgiveness for our Covid Leader and culture of Covid denial. I think you are demonstrating what Fraser said about secularists and their faith in it's inevitable triumph. There are obviously two teams of secular humanists working on the church response to Covid. Team A berating Churches in the States for opening. You are in Team B berating the church for not exposing their parishioners to Covid. A strange and frightening attitude from a  medical ethicist.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2023, 06:43:55 PM »
I'm not sure Covid was Britain's finest hour as you suggest given the response,the number of deaths, and that people just wanted to forget it as demonstrated in the displays of forgiveness for our Covid Leader and culture of Covid denial. I think you are demonstrating what Fraser said about secularists and their faith in it's inevitable triumph. There are obviously two teams of secular humanists working on the church response to Covid. Team A berating Churches in the States for opening. You are in Team B berating the church for not exposing their parishioners to Covid. A strange and frightening attitude from a  medical ethicist.
I am talking about the grass roots community response, which is of course distinct to the 'official' response.

Local communities up and down the country simply got themselves organised, got stuck in and helped out. And this seems to have happened up and down the country on the basis of very similar experiences for people I know living in all sorts of parts of the UK.

Social media helped hugely - street whatsapp groups simply sprung up allowing communities to communicate needs and offers of help easily and those not on social media were typically a door or two away from those that were. In my area it worked remarkably - those who could get to the shops buying for those that couldn't because of vulnerabilities or simply self isolating. Plus all sorts of other community related support and engagement sprung up.

The point is that when the need arose, the community stepped in - not through some kind of organised activity via religions or charities, but just through ordinary people seeing that others were in need of help and offering it.

And without doubt, as horrible as covid was, one of the silver linings is that there is a far greater level of community cohesion, engagement and support - even if our street whatapp group is now largely about people offloading stuff they no longer want to others who might be able to use it (not that that is a bad thing)!

And I'm not really berating churches - I get why they had to close their doors as many other organisations also did. And I also get that as organisations their members were far less likely to be able to help as they are typically older and in more vulnerable groups. But the simple truth remains that when then need came it wasn't organised religions that stepped up to the plate, it was ordinary people self-organising within their communities.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 06:49:11 PM by ProfessorDavey »

Outrider

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2023, 10:30:14 AM »
As ever, Fraser is adding new strings to his bow of misunderstanding, this time demonstrating that he fails to understand statistics or sociology.

Numerically speaking, the 20th century was the Church’s best since its creation.

In raw numbers the Christian church added more heads in the 20th century, yes, and reached its largest total headcount, but its share of the world population shrank as it grew slower than the world did, and that shrink-rate is increasing. On the sociology side he fails to appreciate that the trend is most exacerbated in places with increased access to formal education, and that is a situation that is improving across the world. Far from being an 'outlier', the UK is following a well-established trend of the rest of Europe, and which there is every reason to think that other areas of the world will follow - the UK is actually in the middle of this pack.

The central image of the Christian faith is of a man being strung up on a cross, mocked for his claims to royal authority.

I guess this genuinely is Fraser's 'central image' of the Christian faith, but I suspect that image isn't widely shared, certainly not outside of the Church. Christianity to me is gold-digging evangelists and hate-spewing misogynists and homophobes; I appreciate that they are a tiny minority of the Church in the UK (although, given Fraser's wider view, not nearly as much of a minority in the broader Christian faith), but the remainder of the believers are exactly as irrelevant as they should be - their faith is their's, shared with those with an interest, and otherwise not really a public matter.

People don’t want weak jokes from the pulpit — they want fire.

The Church might want the sort of dedicated parishioners that respond to 'fire' but the broader public - both within and outside the CofE, I suspect - don't want fire, we don't want an activist church, and we certainly don't want the sort of fierce advocacy for recidivist ideas that are so commonly associate with the more vocal elements of Christianity. In fact it's exactly those sorts of associations that are leading people who might once have accepted a denomination of 'culturally Christian' to more explicitly self-identify as not wanting anything to do with those formal arrangements.

We should be doing the very opposite of proclaiming our faith through the lens of popular culture. A minority church has the freedom to be defiantly culturally different, more learned even.

And here Fraser's falling foul to the idea of letting an 'enemy' dictate his strategy. If the Church is to be strong to its beliefs then it shouldn't be reactionary by design, but rather by accident. I accept his point that it can choose not to seek relevance - although, for the goal he ascribes to the Church leadership of wanting to get more people in the door that's a valid tactic - but by seeking to be counter to the zeitgeist he fails to appreciate that the point should be for the Church to be right. If that's in line with the broader populace fine, if it's not then buckle down, but it does suggest the wants to be seen as opposing modernity as a point of principal rather than on an as-needed basis.

Finally, we must fight to reclaim that particular strand of English Christianity — associated especially with the Church of England — that regards belonging as preceding believing.

And then he goes and undermines exactly what he said previously - this is the call to relevance, the evangelism by accretion, the accidental slipping in of religion to cultural or social activity. It's a valid tactic, but one he explicitly called out at the start.

Going to church is a little like going to the pub. People speak of “my pub” or “my local” in the way they used to talk about “my church” — or at least they used to.

I'm sure there are some people who used to talk about going to church like other people talked about going to the pub, but I suspect they were different people. And certainly pubs have changed their image, because they understand that the pub-vibe of, say, the 1950s isn't going to work in the modern era; if the Church can't change in a similar way then he should probably accept that it's an idea that's had its day.

Unfortunately, as Christianity in this country has become a more urban phenomenon, people have stopped thinking of churchgoing as a local activity. Rather than a place where you sit among your local community, with the dead of that community buried all around, church is now seen as something you choose to do with like-minded people, even if they gather on the other side of town.

And we're back to sociology - the world is no longer divided into communities based solely upon their geography. Improvements in communication mean that people can choose their own communities from across the world, and so aren't restricted to their local church, or the majority religion of their country, or to religion at all in many instances. Religion is an idea, and communities of ideas don't need to meet in person, don't need dedicated buildings, communities of idea are on-line these days. You can't drink beer over the internet, hence pubs. You can't play sport over the internet, hence sports clubs. You can listen to someone preach, you can share ideas of gods, and so people have the freedom to find their exact match rather than having to accept the nearest close alternative. Like bookshops and libraries, like cinemas and theatres, the church needs to adapt to the world or face oblivion.

Ironically, I think the secular imagination has far more challenges in store. For once it has finished piggybacking on the inherited deposit of faith, it will have to work out what it believes and why. Not believing in anything, which is the fastest growing position, has nothing to offer as a foundation for many of our moral concerns.

A nice little matroyshka doll of straw-men slipped in there - because 'Secularists' don't believe in (the Anglican depiction of the Christian God) therefore they don't believe in anything. Secularists are not restricted to non-believers, a huge number of secularists are believers of one stripe or another, but even within the 'non-believing' secularists, not believing in God doesn't leave nothing. We have various precepts that we hold to be valuable, which have been encoded in various places, not least of which is the concept of human rights - which explicitly are held to be what we commit to regardless of belief.

As Tom Holland has observed, human rights, for instance, borrow substantially from a Christian worldview.[/quoe]

Human rights no more 'borrows' from Christianity than it does from Islam or Hinduism or any other faith position - they all tend towards a subset of standards and behaviours which make for viable, pleasant societies. That various religious positions tend towards a broadly similar set of cultural norms as non-religious views and each other suggests that there is an underlying best practice which is about what it is to be human... let's call that something like 'humanism.?

Without a meaningful moral story to underpin it, might will be right and power supreme.

From the Crusades through the Taliban and Modi's Hindu-centric assault on Indian secularism, Israel's subservience to their hard-line religious minorities and on to current American Christian Nationalism and Putin's engagement with the Russian Orthodox establishment to back up his oligarchy, religion doesn't appear to be any sort of reliable protection against a 'might makes right' political stance.

O.

Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2023, 11:53:38 AM »
As ever, Fraser is adding new strings to his bow of misunderstanding, this time demonstrating that he fails to understand statistics or sociology.

In raw numbers the Christian church added more heads in the 20th century, yes, and reached its largest total headcount, but its share of the world population shrank as it grew slower than the world did, and that shrink-rate is increasing. On the sociology side he fails to appreciate that the trend is most exacerbated in places with increased access to formal education, and that is a situation that is improving across the world. Far from being an 'outlier', the UK is following a well-established trend of the rest of Europe, and which there is every reason to think that other areas of the world will follow - the UK is actually in the middle of this pack.
It does look though that whiteness will be the mark of an increasing apatheism, Atheism, as statistics show, slated also to shrink.  Every reason to think religion will shrink? One might suffice at this moment? This is the point. Why are humanists so triumphalistic over a parochial decline?
I guess this genuinely is Fraser's 'central image' of the Christian faith, but I suspect that image isn't widely shared, certainly not outside of the Church.
But that should only matter to people who take a ''Ve are ze masters now attitude'' over the statistics.
Christianity to me is gold-digging evangelists and hate-spewing misogynists and homophobes
Bigotted statement in itself but let's examine it. Study of the atheist movements reveals them to be very celebrity oriented and take their views and beliefs from celebrities. Since in humanism the more celebrated you are the more influential you are then this must be true of other groups
; I appreciate that they are a tiny minority of the Church in the UK (although, given Fraser's wider view, not nearly as much of a minority in the broader Christian faith), but the remainder of the believers are exactly as irrelevant as they should be - their faith is their's, shared with those with an interest, and otherwise not really a public matter.
And there you have it, Humanist disdain for the rank and file ''irrelevant''.
The Church might want the sort of dedicated parishioners that respond to 'fire' but the broader public - both within and outside the CofE, I suspect - don't want fire, we don't want an activist church, and we certainly don't want the sort of fierce advocacy for recidivist ideas that are so commonly associate with the more vocal elements of Christianity. In fact it's exactly those sorts of associations that are leading people who might once have accepted a denomination of 'culturally Christian' to more explicitly self-identify as not wanting anything to do with those formal arrangements.
But then what if we look at UK society as the anomaly instead of as the vanguard of the new and wonderful avowedly atheist world that you seem to be looking forward to. We have people who will believe they have less and less time for the ''higher'' considerations because financially and socially they will have to work harder and harder just to keep still. That's not to say that Christianity is the religion of the poor but the impoverished  realise they have been impoverished in religion. I agree though that UK people are not going to want the prosperity gospel, which is only an extension of the financial motivation and expectation industry but the Gospel of community, fraternity, sorority and relationship with God............ or a kind of humanist life which is increasingly only enjoyed by celebrity.
And here Fraser's falling foul to the idea of letting an 'enemy' dictate his strategy. If the Church is to be strong to its beliefs then it shouldn't be reactionary by design, but rather by accident. I accept his point that it can choose not to seek relevance - although, for the goal he ascribes to the Church leadership of wanting to get more people in the door that's a valid tactic - but by seeking to be counter to the zeitgeist he fails to appreciate that the point should be for the Church to be right. If that's in line with the broader populace fine, if it's not then buckle down, but it does suggest the wants to be seen as opposing modernity as a point of principal rather than on an as-needed basis.
The strongest part of Frasers argument is not to just be another providing agency or a kind of Christian+ answer to Atheist+. The church has news for mankind but the community that arises out of the response from it has a historically attractive aspect to it and has shown that it can be more levelling up than secular agencies have managed, because, dare we say it, they don't intrinsically have the means or motivation.

And then he goes and undermines exactly what he said previously - this is the call to relevance, the evangelism by accretion, the accidental slipping in of religion to cultural or social activity. It's a valid tactic, but one he explicitly called out at the start.
You are artificially separating religion out from culture and social activity here. Where is there a society or culture that has not been based on thousands or hundreds of years of religion? Where has there been a secular society that has worked(including the exclusion of religion)after excising reference to religion?
I'm sure there are some people who used to talk about going to church like other people talked about going to the pub, but I suspect they were different people. And certainly pubs have changed their image, because they understand that the pub-vibe of, say, the 1950s isn't going to work in the modern era; if the Church can't change in a similar way then he should probably accept that it's an idea that's had its day.
But the point is surely that pub going is declining like church is declining and in fact socialising is probably going the same way. Is that a good thing because it's the modern way I don't know? It looks like a symptom of something not altogether pleasant to me. This section of your argument shows argument from modernity.
And we're back to sociology - the world is no longer divided into communities based solely upon their geography. Improvements in communication mean that people can choose their own communities from across the world, and so aren't restricted to their local church, or the majority religion of their country, or to religion at all in many instances. Religion is an idea, and communities of ideas don't need to meet in person, don't need dedicated buildings, communities of idea are on-line these days. You can't drink beer over the internet, hence pubs. You can't play sport over the internet, hence sports clubs. You can listen to someone preach, you can share ideas of gods, and so people have the freedom to find their exact match rather than having to accept the nearest close alternative. Like bookshops and libraries, like cinemas and theatres, the church needs to adapt to the world or face oblivion.
But that is bad news for atheism isn't it. The idea that the church could have just moved on line, that the word religion largely means face to face, being together worship. Of course the downside of the growth of communities of interest is well known. What does the ability to switch people off at the flick of a switch do for the soul? And we are talking now about souls for whom time is increasingly at a premium.
A nice little matroyshka doll of straw-men slipped in there - because 'Secularists' don't believe in (the Anglican depiction of the Christian God) therefore they don't believe in anything. Secularists are not restricted to non-believers, a huge number of secularists are believers of one stripe or another, but even within the 'non-believing' secularists, not believing in God doesn't leave nothing. We have various precepts that we hold to be valuable, which have been encoded in various places, not least of which is the concept of human rights - which explicitly are held to be what we commit to regardless of belief.
No, People talk and type about human rights. Secular Humanists might largely get involved in human rights where they think they can land one on the church or where they can out do the church.
From the Crusades through the Taliban and Modi's Hindu-centric assault on Indian secularism, Israel's subservience to their hard-line religious minorities and on to current American Christian Nationalism and Putin's engagement with the Russian Orthodox establishment to back up his oligarchy, religion doesn't appear to be any sort of reliable protection against a 'might makes right' political stance.
But are these religious problems or nationalistic problems? I think the latter But what Fraser is trying to show is that there is a functioning rank and file Christianity, truer than the caricature one fashioned by secular humanists, based in congregations and churches in which people will find community, daily spiritual and intellectual bread and God. Rather than having celebrities massaging their idealised selves(namely a good stylish urbane bloke) while saying ''you (are on your way to becoming) da man!''
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 12:07:28 PM by Walt Zingmatilder »

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2023, 12:14:19 PM »
Secular Humanists might largely get involved in human rights where they think they can land one on the church or where they can out do the church.

Bollocks.

People get involved in human rights because they generally want to make things better for themselves or others. Any imagined "out doing" is in your head.

You yourself, however, are outdoing the paranoia that you usually display by taking it to whole other level. Well done.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2023, 08:42:11 PM »
Bollocks.

People get involved in human rights because they generally want to make things better for themselves or others. Any imagined "out doing" is in your head.

You yourself, however, are outdoing the paranoia that you usually display by taking it to whole other level. Well done.
Er, I think you should revisit the list of Humanist UK campaigns and National Secular Society campaigns to check if they are church focussed or not.

Outrider

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2023, 08:47:33 PM »
It does look though that whiteness will be the mark of an increasing apatheism, Atheism, as statistics show, slated also to shrink.

I've not seen anything suggesting that the spread of atheism is slated to shrink, but it's entirely plausible as it rubs up against the hold-outs of developing nations. As to 'whiteness', it's also 'education' and 'wealth' and 'welfare state provision', so difficult to suggest that one is necessarily causative - it's certainly likely to be a rallying call in some places against the progress of secularism.

Every reason to think religion will shrink? One might suffice at this moment?

Not only is atheism and irreligiosity growing, but it's spreading, and the indicators that it strongly correlates with like wealth, education and strong human rights records are also gradually spreading too.

This is the point. Why are humanists so triumphalistic over a parochial decline?

Where's the triumphalism in identifying reports in the media and discussing them?

But that should only matter to people who take a ''Ve are ze masters now attitude'' over the statistics.

As opposed to the people who took a 've are ze masters now attitude' to pretty much the entirety of the Holy Land, South America, south-east Asia, sub-Saharan Africa... Nobody claims mastery over the statistics, they identify trends in the statistics and try to show that their interpretation is valid.

Bigotted statement in itself but let's examine it.

No, it's not bigotted, it's an indication of which parts of the movement I consider to be important because they pose a threat to communities. The remainder of Christendom is, largely, irrelevant.

Study of the atheist movements reveals them to be very celebrity oriented and take their views and beliefs from celebrities.

What beliefs? The entire 'movement' is predicated on failing to adhere to one belief, beyond that there are a myriad viewpoints within atheism - there are conservative atheists, liberal atheists, anarchist atheists, white-supremacist atheists... it's the broadest of broad churches, given that the only requirement for membership is that you don't actually church.

Since in humanism the more celebrated you are the more influential you are then this must be true of other groups.

1 - Humanism has a reasonably cross-over with atheism, but the two are not synonymous; there are any number of religious humanists and non-humanist atheists.
2 - If it's true of humanism (which you've asserted, but not justified) that's absolutely no guarantee that it's the case for other groups.

And there you have it, Humanist disdain for the rank and file ''irrelevant''.

For them as people, no. For their religious output, yes, because it has precisely no direct effect on my life or the life of anyone that I know. The institutional influence of the Church isn't directly tied to those 'rank and file' believers, and that's the bit in the UK that's currently problematic.

But then what if we look at UK society as the anomaly instead of as the vanguard of the new and wonderful avowedly atheist world that you seem to be looking forward to.

Actually we're somewhat in the middle of the pack, with the Nordic countries out in front, pockets of 'The West' around the same place we are, the developing world slowly catching up and the US as a bat-shit crazy outlier.

We have people who will believe they have less and less time for the ''higher'' considerations because financially and socially they will have to work harder and harder just to keep still.

And yet so much of Christianity's past and present is wrapped up in convincing the impoverished to accept their lot in life, that their rewards will come in the next life rather than this. At the risk of falling prey to 'celebrity Christians', you only need to look as far as the despicable veneration of Theresa of Calcutta to see how that works in action.

As to the idea that people don't have time to consider their spiritual lives because they don't have the time due to work pressures I'll raise you 'the Industrial Revolution' and 'current US life with the working classes needing multiple jobs to stay afloat' to see how religion does in those environs.

That's not to say that Christianity is the religion of the poor but the impoverished  realise they have been impoverished in religion.

And the right-wing governments in, say, the UK, the US, Hungary, Poland... they are railing against Christendom, right?

I agree though that UK people are not going to want the prosperity gospel, which is only an extension of the financial motivation and expectation industry but the Gospel of community, fraternity, sorority and relationship with God............ or a kind of humanist life which is increasingly only enjoyed by celebrity.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here, exactly. Prosperity gospel is just... mental is the only word I can come up. But the 'hard-line' Christian approach of homosexuality as something to be shunned and shamed, institutional misogyny, these aren't far from the forefront in much of the Christianity outside of Western nations which have been blunted by a secular approach to human rights.

The strongest part of Frasers argument is not to just be another providing agency or a kind of Christian+ answer to Atheist+. The church has news for mankind but the community that arises out of the response from it has a historically attractive aspect to it and has shown that it can be more levelling up than secular agencies have managed, because, dare we say it, they don't intrinsically have the means or motivation.

Christianity has a history of pointing to individual Christians' work and claiming to be a force for progress, whilst white-washing the institutional resistance it has consistently show to any sort of advancement in social equality. As to the idea that the Church in the UK, or around the world, lacks the means for anything... really?

That is the strongest part of Fraser's argument, I agree, the idea that the Church should stick to its 'principles' and see who that brings in, and make a tight-knit community out of them. It's just a practical problem that those tight-knit insular communities tend (from where I stand, at least) to look like the most regressive examples of Christianity, and then he goes and completely undermines that in the last paragraph by arguing for exactly the opposite.

You are artificially separating religion out from culture and social activity here.

No, we're talking about religion, I'm trying to isolate those aspects which are entirely or primarily the result of the expression of religion within culture.

Where is there a society or culture that has not been based on thousands or hundreds of years of religion?

Probably nowhere. Where are the societies that are performing measurably better on happiness, health, life-expectancy and education that are still revelling in religion?

Where has there been a secular society that has worked(including the exclusion of religion)after excising reference to religion?

The point is not to excise religion, it's to give religion its own space, but that space not to be in other people's faces. Where has that been successful - look around you. Western Europe, Australia, Canada, New Zealand... the places that have 'excised' religion - Soviet Union, China - have suffered for it, because if you ban something you create resistance, it becomes a point of rebellion.

But the point is surely that pub going is declining like church is declining and in fact socialising is probably going the same way.

No, it's not going away, it's switching venues, it's moving on-line. That brings with it other problems, like the 'echo chamber' effect where people (understandably) seek out like-minded viewpoints and don't get the general exposure that would occur if you were limited to the locals.

Is that a good thing because it's the modern way I don't know? It looks like a symptom of something not altogether pleasant to me. This section of your argument shows argument from modernity.

It's not that it's good because it's modern, but rather that it's not necessarily bad just because it's change. What you see as something disappearing is just something moving elsewhere.

But that is bad news for atheism isn't it.

I don't think so, personally. I think atheism is inclined to follow from access to information, and the internet provides that. There will always be people who want to be led, and they'll fall in line on whichever side they find comfortable, but the people with an inclination to consider for themselves will find information, and in a world of information about different religions and no religion I can't imagine that atheism is going to lose out too badly.

The idea that the church could have just moved on line, that the word religion largely means face to face, being together worship.

Why does the word 'religion' mean face-to-face? What is it about belief that requires direct supervision - isn't the point supposed to be that you're always being supervised anyway?

Of course the downside of the growth of communities of interest is well known. What does the ability to switch people off at the flick of a switch do for the soul?

What soul? What does it do for open-mindedness and tolerance - well, when you have religion intertwined with every level of culture and society you see how freedom of ideas flourishes - just look to the Arab nations, or the southern US states or, to an extent, Russia.

And we are talking now about souls for whom time is increasingly at a premium.

Which 'we' is this? You and Fraser, perhaps, you can be pretty sure I'm not.

No, People talk and type about human rights.

People demonstrate for human rights. People stand in front of tanks, people lie down in the street in front of police horses for human rights. And, yes, people write and talk as well, because human rights are ideas and whilst you demonstrate in order to get attention and get someone to listen, once they're listening you need to have something to say.

Secular Humanists might largely get involved in human rights where they think they can land one on the church or where they can out do the church.

Now who's showing their bigotry? Do you really think that the, for instance, the equality campaigners who demonstrated against Section 28, who wanted homosexuality decriminalised, who pioneered the Pride marches were motivated by 'bringing down the Church'? They wanted to live their own lives, it was the Church insisting that their tenets be encoded in the law that put itself in the firing line to any extent.

But are these religious problems or nationalistic problems?

Elements of both, but they require different solutions, and one of those solutions comes from separating the idea of religion from the idea of state - it's difficult to bring anything secular to a nation which sees religion as part of its identity, and it's especially difficult for a country that has a state religion and the clergy in the mechanics of government to 'preach' to such governments. We need to clean our own house on that before we can get other places to clean their's.

I think the latter But what Fraser is trying to show is that there is a functioning rank and file Christianity, truer than the caricature one fashioned by secular humanists, based in congregations and churches in which people will find community, daily spiritual and intellectual bread and God.

And, frankly, no-one outside of those communities gives a crap, which is exactly how it should be. If you volunteer to go, accept that the tenets have a hold on you and leave everyone else to their own thing, fine. It's when religion expects other people to kowtow to their demands that there's a problem, and the 'fire and brimstone' style that Fraser's advocating is at the very least strongly associated with that; in an environment where we still haven't cleared the hold-outs of religious influence in the state, that has the potential to take us backwards.

Rather than having celebrities massaging their idealised selves(namely a good stylish urbane bloke) while saying ''you (are on your way to becoming) da man!''

Instead we should have a man in a purple dress whispering into the King's ear and the manouevring his religious block in the Lords to make sure that his Sunday Club has an outsized say in who gets to be a 'da man' or, indeed, just 'a man', and whether they can marry another man, and whether they're allowed to bring up another little man...

O.

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2023, 12:02:31 AM »
uote author=Outrider link=topic=19510.msg857827#msg857827 date=1677530853]
I've not seen anything suggesting that the spread of atheism is slated to shrink,[/quote]I'm afraid it's here https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2015/04/02/religious-projections-2010-2050/
but it's entirely plausible as it rubs up against the hold-outs of developing nations. As to 'whiteness', it's also 'education'
White secular education where religion an indeed culture, are marginalised
and 'wealth' and 'welfare state provision'
As we know, beyond the enlightenment idea of Man's forward march, there are lean years as well as good years
Not only is atheism and irreligiosity growing, but it's spreading, and the indicators that it strongly correlates with like wealth, education and strong human rights records are also gradually spreading too.
I think you put too much store on the enlightenment being an atheist project. That is just historical revisionism on your part
Where's the triumphalism in identifying reports in the media and discussing them?
In the calls for all religious based infrastructure to be immediately dismantled and calls by humanists for religion, particularly the C of E to be secularised
As opposed to the people who took a 've are ze masters now attitude' to pretty much the entirety of the Holy Land, South America, south-east Asia, sub-Saharan Africa... Nobody claims mastery over the statistics, they identify trends in the statistics and try to show that their interpretation is valid.
Whataboutery
No, it's not bigotted,
Not only is it bigotted it is positively swivel eyed
it's an indication of which parts of the movement I consider to be important because they pose a threat to communities.
Not in the UK though
The remainder of Christendom is, largely, irrelevant.
Proof of swivel eyed bigotry. Bad Christians is where it's at. Good christians? Pah. Classic caricature and religion is only there for the bad stuff thinking. What Fraser is saying is that the Church isn't around to meet targets and success criteria as conjured by secularism and humanism it's there to tell people about God and be a fellowship for believers extended to other souls or selves known in the faith as neighbours which incidentally Jesus set the definition of and that is it. I don't think really these people are irrelevant to you...in fact the likes of Sam Harris and Dawkins actually think of this Christianity as dangerous because it masks the intrinsic evil of religion which they consider to be the root of all evil. It isn't, the love of money is. Did I mention Sam Harris and Dawkins? We thus arrive back in swivel eyed bigotry territory again.

1 - Humanism has a reasonably cross-over with atheism, but the two are not synonymous; there are any number of religious humanists and non-humanist atheists.
One has to question then why the Atheist bus was a Humanist UK
campaign.
For them as people, no. For their religious output, yes, because it has precisely no direct effect on my life or the life of anyone that I know. The institutional influence of the Church isn't directly tied to those 'rank and file' believers, and that's the bit in the UK that's currently problematic.
Yes, I didn't see the relevance once but let's face it, your claim may not mean much because, with your extreme antitheism you are unlikely to hang with religious folk are you?
And yet so much of Christianity's past and present is wrapped up in convincing the impoverished to accept their lot in life
And that's disappearing in our increasingly secular country is it?
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here, exactly. Prosperity gospel is just... mental is the only word I can come up.
Prosperity Gospel states that If you are wealthy it is because you are living a faithful christian life and God's reward is in this life that goes completely against the new testament
But the 'hard-line' Christian approach of homosexuality as something to be shunned and shamed,
I have atheist acquaintances who I know to be misogynistic and or homophobic I think it's not that unusual. As for widescale enlightenment that is probably a public show. I'm hazarding here but on Same sex marriage, I would hazard you primarily relished the topic as a weapon against the church, I on the other hand experienced a change of mind about it. I believe that those who don't believe in administering same sex holy matrimony should be left alone by secular authorities or as we should now call them ''Ze masters''. Because now we are into demonstrations of secular might.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 12:07:08 AM by Walt Zingmatilder »

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2023, 12:16:51 AM »
uote author=Outrider link=topic=19510.msg857827#msg857827 date=1677530853]
I've not seen anything suggesting that the spread of atheism is slated to shrink,I'm afraid it's here https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/2015/04/02/religious-projections-2010-2050/ White secular education where religion an indeed culture, are marginalised As we know, beyond the enlightenment idea of Man's forward march, there are lean years as well as good years I think you put too much store on the enlightenment being an atheist project. That is just historical revisionism on your partIn the calls for all religious based infrastructure to be immediately dismantled and calls by humanists for religion, particularly the C of E to be secularised WhatabouteryNot only is it bigotted it is positively swivel eyedNot in the UK though Proof of swivel eyed bigotry. Bad Christians is where it's at. Good christians? Pah. Classic caricature and religion is only there for the bad stuff thinking. What Fraser is saying is that the Church isn't around to meet targets and success criteria as conjured by secularism and humanism it's there to tell people about God and be a fellowship for believers extended to other souls or selves known in the faith as neighbours which incidentally Jesus set the definition of and that is it. I don't think really these people are irrelevant to you...in fact the likes of Sam Harris and Dawkins actually think of this Christianity as dangerous because it masks the intrinsic evil of religion which they consider to be the root of all evil. It isn't, the love of money is. Did I mention Sam Harris and Dawkins? We thus arrive back in swivel eyed bigotry territory again.One has to question then why the Atheist bus was a Humanist UK
campaign.Yes, I didn't see the relevance once but let's face it, your claim may not mean much because, with your extreme antitheism you are unlikely to hang with religious folk are you? And that's disappearing in our increasingly secular country is it?Prosperity Gospel states that If you are wealthy it is because you are living a faithful christian life and God's reward is in this life that goes completely against the new testamentI have atheist acquaintances who I know to be misogynistic and or homophobic I think it's not that unusual. As for widescale enlightenment that is probably a public show. I'm hazarding here but on Same sex marriage, I would hazard you primarily relished the topic as a weapon against the church, I on the other hand experienced a change of mind about it. I believe that those who don't believe in administering same sex holy matrimony should be left alone by secular authorities or as we should now call them ''Ze masters''. Because now we are into demonstrations of secular might.
.../end: swivel-eyed anti-atheist/humanist/secularist rant.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2023, 12:23:47 AM »
.../end: swivel-eyed anti-atheist/humanist/secularist rant.
'Ere...less of the swivel eyed thank you.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2023, 01:50:23 PM »

It's a bit like the sales department of Kodak: it didn't matter how good their adverts were, camera film is finished.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2023, 03:42:59 PM »
It's a bit like the sales department of Kodak: it didn't matter how good their adverts were, camera film is finished.
I think we will just have to see how things "develop".
Some of the statistics just give us a "snapshot".

Outrider

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2023, 10:14:09 AM »
I've not seen anything suggesting that the spread of atheism is slated to shrink,I'm afraid it's here

Yet more evidence that we need to improve education access and quality in developing nations.

White secular education where religion an indeed culture, are marginalised

You say 'marginalised', I say put into their appropriate place.

As we know, beyond the enlightenment idea of Man's forward march, there are lean years as well as good years I think you put too much store on the enlightenment being an atheist project. That is just historical revisionism on your part.

I don't think it's an atheist project, but I think it affords atheism - and, indeed, all outlooks - a place that what came before it did not. But which bit is historical revisionism? The increase in welfare provision in developed nations, the idea that those increases are a result of a view of the world that treats humans as intrinsically valuable and affords them inalienable rights, or the links between those provisions and happiness, health and wellbeing?

In the calls for all religious based infrastructure to be immediately dismantled and calls by humanists for religion, particularly the C of E to be secularised

So in your selective interpretation of reality, then?

Whataboutery

I think I'd put atheism's history of attempted exclusionary rule up against Christianity's Imperialist attitudes any day of the week.

Not only is it bigotted it is positively swivel eyed. Not in the UK though.

Not in the UK? We don't have reserved seats in Parliament for an institution that votes against equal rites?

Proof of swivel eyed bigotry.

Quick, try to find a victim card you can play. Ad hominem nonsense like this just highlights that you don't actually have an argument.

Bad Christians is where it's at. Good christians? Pah. Classic caricature and religion is only there for the bad stuff thinking.

What makes them 'bad' Christians? That's your take, they're likely of the opinion that you're failing in your obligations to god and that they are the good Christians. The problem isn't whether they are 'good' or 'bad' it's whether they are 'tolerant', whether they are 'authoritarian'. In exactly the same way that atheists are problematic if they are intolerant or authoritarian, it's just that they aren't institutionally manifesting those traits as a result of their atheism.

What Fraser is saying is that the Church isn't around to meet targets and success criteria as conjured by secularism and humanism it's there to tell people about God and be a fellowship for believers extended to other souls or selves known in the faith as neighbours which incidentally Jesus set the definition of and that is it.

Which is fine when the Church keeps its opinions to itself and only expects them to be binding in any way on people that volunteer. It's when the Church thinks it has a place in the public realm, has a right to, say, special seats in Parliament, that we have a problem.

I don't think really these people are irrelevant to you...in fact the likes of Sam Harris and Dawkins actually think of this Christianity as dangerous because it masks the intrinsic evil of religion which they consider to be the root of all evil.

No, those people really are irrelevant to this discussion. That the notion of 'moderate' religious people lending religion a degree of credibility which the more rabid arms hide behind has a degree of validity, but it is just a slippery slope argument writ large. I understand it, I see how it can be applied, but I don't think the answer to 'there are problematic displays of religion' is 'ban religion'.

It isn't, the love of money is. Did I mention Sam Harris and Dawkins? We thus arrive back in swivel eyed bigotry territory again.

I'd say we should put a trigger warning on mentions of them for your benefit, but its you that keeps bringing them up. I'm not making Harris' or Dawkins' arguments, I'm making my own.

One has to question then why the Atheist bus was a Humanist UK campaign.

Because Humanist UK, presumably, see issue with the established nature of the Church in the UK, and with the slant that puts on a wide range of social measures and activities.

Yes, I didn't see the relevance once but let's face it, your claim may not mean much because, with your extreme antitheism you are unlikely to hang with religious folk are you?

Again with the ad hominem, and again with the wrong. I don't care if the Church dies out, but I'm not actively pressing for it, and I'm certainly not pushing for it to be banned. I just want laws to be based on something more than people who can't tell the difference between reality and fairy tales. I don't hang out with many people at all, but of those that I do some are religious (some openly and some, presumably, privately).

And that's disappearing in our increasingly secular country is it?

The poverty, or the press to accept it? The poverty is, there's a reason that what we measure in the UK these days tends to be relative deprivation rather than absolute poverty, but there is a political pressure from the right-wing establishment for an economic model that would result in deeper and broader financial hardship. Are they the same people that vocally see the Church as a necessary part of the state apparatus...?

Prosperity Gospel states that If you are wealthy it is because you are living a faithful christian life and God's reward is in this life that goes completely against the new testament

Goes against your interpretation of the scriptures, they have their own take on it and their own scriptural justifications. It's almost like it's not the most useful rulebook.

I have atheist acquaintances who I know to be misogynistic and or homophobic I think it's not that unusual.

And do they justify that misogyny or homophobia by dint of their atheism? Are they members of atheist networks which explicitly campaign against equal rights for women or gay people? There are, no doubt, believers whose misogyny or homophobia is largely independent of their belief, but there are some where it's intrinsically caused by the teachings of their church, and some where it's reinforced by it.

As for widescale enlightenment that is probably a public show.

So they're secretly homophobes, they're just pretending not to be? Why?

I'm hazarding here but on Same sex marriage, I would hazard you primarily relished the topic as a weapon against the church

On marriage being extended to all it's a result of the fact that I know gay people and don't think they should be segregated or excluded, I couldn't give a shit about the church's stance on it until the church vocally campaigned on the wrong side of bigotry.

I on the other hand experienced a change of mind about it. I believe that those who don't believe in administering same sex holy matrimony should be left alone by secular authorities

So do I. The problem is that the Church is currently being in the holy matrimony business and the secular authority business and is trying to let their (appropriate) oversight of one of them bleed over into their (inappropriate) restrictions on the other. I don't advocate making the church marry gay people, I advocate making the church's ceremonies purely religious and the taking the legal element back to the secular authorities.

O.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2023, 02:21:47 PM »

I don't think it's an atheist project, but I think it affords atheism - and, indeed, all outlooks - a place that what came before it did not. But which bit is historical revisionism?
Your missing of historical revision from AC Grayling's sentimental view of the Greco Roman world through Pinker and Dawkins view of the Enlightenment shows us that maybe we can add history to religion and culture as an example of parlous secular education you wish to export.
The increase in welfare provision in developed nations, the idea that those increases are a result of a view of the world that treats humans as intrinsically valuable and affords them inalienable rights, or the links between those provisions and happiness, health and wellbeing?
Like Education, welfare has been part of the christian mission for centuries. I see no intrinsic motivation in atheism to export welfare unlike the intrinsic motivation to export atheism.
I think I'd put atheism's history of attempted exclusionary rule up against Christianity's Imperialist attitudes any day of the week.
Again, Imperialism is not intrinsically necessary to Christianity but if you are exporting white secularist culture lock stock and barrel in the hope of promulgating atheism that sounds like it needs some imperialistic process.

What makes them 'bad' Christians? That's your take, they're likely of the opinion that you're failing in your obligations to god and that they are the good Christians.
If they don't enact the words and attitudes of Jesus and in fact go contrary to them that makes them bad christians.
Which is fine when the Church keeps its opinions to itself and only expects them to be binding in any way on people that volunteer. It's when the Church thinks it has a place in the public realm, has a right to, say, special seats in Parliament, that we have a problem.
Why should the church keep out of the public arena when 46% of the public signed on the census as affiliated? How can 21 reserved parliamentarianians overrule up to a thousand guaranteed secular parliamentarians?
I'd say we should put a trigger warning on mentions of them for your benefit, but its you that keeps bringing them up. I'm not making Harris' or Dawkins' arguments, I'm making my own.
But we aren't talking about rank and file people like you and me. At least you aren't. According to you rank and file are irrelevant. You keep bringing up Bishops, I keep bringing up Humanist celebrities who frankly, in todays society have far more influence.
Because Humanist UK, presumably, see issue with the established nature of the Church in the UK, and with the slant that puts on a wide range of social measures and activities.
That's an exaggeration and has been since I was a lad.

Outrider

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2023, 01:25:40 PM »
Your missing of historical revision from AC Grayling's sentimental view of the Greco Roman world through Pinker and Dawkins view of the Enlightenment shows us that maybe we can add history to religion and culture as an example of parlous secular education you wish to export.

I see, so  'my' historical revisionism turns out to be something somebody else said that you're excited about...

Like Education, welfare has been part of the christian mission for centuries.

Well, like education, welfare has been something that Christians shout about for centuries, but they don't really seem to understand it well. Education and indoctrination are not the same things. Welfare and extortion are not the same thing.

I see no intrinsic motivation in atheism to export welfare unlike the intrinsic motivation to export atheism.

There is no intrinsic motivation in atheism at all - not believing in gods doesn't immediately lead to anything, even evangelism of atheism. Atheist 'evangelism' comes from a sense of the disturbing nature of religion and religious movements.

Again, Imperialism is not intrinsically necessary to Christianity but if you are exporting white secularist culture lock stock and barrel in the hope of promulgating atheism that sounds like it needs some imperialistic process.

Yes, it's the world-wide collection of atheist white supremacy movements that are the problem. Its the atheists charged with building a 'kingdom of (not) god'...

If they don't enact the words and attitudes of Jesus and in fact go contrary to them that makes them bad christians.

Except that they do enact the words of Jesus and scripture, and they claim that you're misinterpreting them and you're bad Christians. If only there were someone out there who could make it all clear...

Why should the church keep out of the public arena when 46% of the public signed on the census as affiliated?/quote]

Because those religious people are already in the public sphere, and are already adequately represented in the public sphere. Why do they, and specifically and only they, need their additional, protected, special representatives?

How can 21 reserved parliamentarianians overrule up to a thousand guaranteed secular parliamentarians?

Why do you get 21 vote head-start? That they don't have absolute authority doesn't justify leaving them with the unjustified influence they currently have.

But we aren't talking about rank and file people like you and me. At least you aren't. According to you rank and file are irrelevant. You keep bringing up Bishops, I keep bringing up Humanist celebrities who frankly, in todays society have far more influence.

Really? Can you show me which one? How many parliamentary seats do they have? How many schools do they run? How many schools are required to undertake a daily act of atheist observance?

That's an exaggeration and has been since I was a lad.

What's an exaggeration, the fact that we're practically the only advanced nation in the world that clings to a state religion? That we are one of a handful of nations, amongst a pretty unsavoury bunch, who reserve places in the legislature for religion? That's not an exaggeration, that's a concern.

O,

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2023, 02:22:31 PM »
I see, so  'my' historical revisionism turns out to be something somebody else said that you're excited about...

Well, like education, welfare has been something that Christians shout about for centuries, but they don't really seem to understand it well. Education and indoctrination are not the same things. Welfare and extortion are not the same thing.
Caricature utilising poor historical knowledge and underdeveloped curiosity, probably courtesy of a thin secular curriculum.(That isn't your fault)
There is no intrinsic motivation in atheism at all - not believing in gods doesn't immediately lead to anything, even evangelism of atheism. Atheist 'evangelism' comes from a sense of the disturbing nature of religion and religious movements.
atheism might very well be merely the disbelief in Gods but you have been proposing the wholesale exporting of Western secular education in the hope of furthering atheism
Except that they do enact the words of Jesus and scripture, and they claim that you're misinterpreting them and you're bad Christians. If only there were someone out there who could make it all clear...
I can't see how Jesus or the apostles and apostolic writers are at all the authors of nationalistic christianity or of prosperity gospel. Again if your intellectual curiosity was a bit er, wider you would be able to distinguish betweeen the surmon on the mount and an evangelistic appeal to provide the wee man in the suit with another private jet.
Why do you get 21 vote head-start?
The advantage is negligible in the face of up to 1000 guaranteed secular members. In the past they are there as people not caught up in quotidien politics or sectional or professional interests to provide an alternative spiritual.
 view of life
  That they don't have absolute authority doesn't justify leaving them with the unjustified influence they currently have.
That is virtually no influence whatsoever.
Really? Can you show me which one? How many parliamentary seats do they have? How many schools do they run? How many schools are required to undertake a daily act of atheist observance?
Our representatives in parliament .....overwhelmingly, there for secular reasons decided it was the way to go. Obviously these are concessions to religion which has 46% sign up according to census data. The church didn't say ''oi mush, we're in charge here''. Atheist observence? You mean atheistic non observance which is what you will get.
What's an exaggeration, the fact that we're practically the only advanced nation in the world that clings to a state religion? That we are one of a handful of nations, amongst a pretty unsavoury bunch, who reserve places in the legislature for religion? That's not an exaggeration, that's a concern.

Nobody is clinging to a state religion and certainly not political influence for there is virtually none and hasn't been for a looooong time.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 02:43:17 PM by Walt Zingmatilder »

Outrider

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2023, 03:31:51 PM »
Caricature utilising poor historical knowledge and underdeveloped curiosity, probably courtesy of a thin secular curriculum.(That isn't your fault)

You're claiming that I'm wrong, but you're not giving me any reason to believe you. Christianity's long-established history in the indoctrination business, and its later coopting for general education, is fairly well established.

atheism might very well be merely the disbelief in Gods but you have been proposing the wholesale exporting of Western secular education in the hope of furthering atheism

I've not been advocating, necessarily, I think it's happening without my input anyway. The point of secular values and education, though, is that if it's working it can include religious beliefs and tenets, it doesn't exclude religion in any way by ideology.

I can't see how Jesus or the apostles and apostolic writers are at all the authors of nationalistic christianity or of prosperity gospel.

Me neither, but then I can't see how you can get any depiction of something real from the gospel, either. That's at least a significant part of the problem, that the scripture is so poorly written, badly structured and self-contradictory that it can be selectively interpreted to mean pretty much whatever you'd like, just with the absolute authority of 'god's word' behind it.

Again if your intellectual curiosity was a bit er, wider you would be able to distinguish betweeen the surmon on the mount and an evangelistic appeal to provide the wee man in the suit with another private jet.

I can, but not using anything within the scripture where they have pretty much exactly the same justification - i can differentiate between by looking at their effects on people and communities, how happy, healthy, wealthy and free they leave people.

The advantage is negligible in the face of up to 1000 guaranteed secular members. In the past they are there as people not caught up in quotidien politics or sectional or professional interests to provide an alternative spiritual view of life

There are already spiritual people in the Lords, you still aren't even trying to justify their existence, you're just trying to claim that their effect is minimal. Even if there practical effect is limited, the implication is still profoundly at odds with the idea of a free, equal society. Why do 'spiritual' people (of one particular flavour) get special representation but, say, 'scientific' people don't? Or sporty people?

That is virtually no influence whatsoever.

But not actually none. And on a close vote, that could be the difference. And over a history of multiple close votes that's going to skew the result - it might be a small effect, but it's a small effect over multiple iterations, and it counts.

Our representatives in parliament .....overwhelmingly, there for secular reasons decided it was the way to go.

No, some of our representatives in parliament, who see the church as regular allies, saw a benefit to not removing them to their particular political outlook.

Obviously these are concessions to religion which has 46% sign up according to census data.

And how low does it have to drop before they aren't allowed to discriminate on behalf of a state that guarantees equal rights? It doesn't matter if it's 99%, the state maintains that it affords people equal access to marriage, and then part of the state apparatus fails to live up to that promise.

The church didn't say ''oi mush, we're in charge here''.

Actually, it did. And, though the head of state being at the same time the head of the church, it to an extent still does, but we have started to prise the corpse-fingers off the levers of power... just a few stray fingernails to go.

Atheist observence? You mean atheistic non observance which is what you will get.

Not observing Christian worships is as Hindu or Muslim as it is atheist. It's not atheist to not observe Christianity in schools, it's saying the school is for education not indoctrination, and that if people want to partake of Christian worship there are places for that... We shouldn't be COMPELLING children into undertaking religious activity of one particular sect of one particular arm of one particular family of religions. We have RE to teach them about religion, why do they need to be forced into one particular example?

Nobody is clinging to a state religion and certainly not political influence for there is virtually none and hasn't been for a looooong time.

Except for the reserved seats in parliament, and the special exemptions from regulations, and the head of the church have the final authority to implement or refuse laws... apart from that, you mean...

O.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2023, 03:44:20 PM »
You're claiming that I'm wrong, but you're not giving me any reason to believe you. Christianity's long-established history in the indoctrination business, and its later coopting for general education, is fairly well established.
I'm claiming you are caricaturing christianity as ''there for the bad stuff''

Outrider

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2023, 03:52:00 PM »
I'm claiming you are caricaturing christianity as ''there for the bad stuff''

I know you're claiming it, but you're not giving me any reason to accept your claim. You claim a god as well, and that's not been particularly effective.

O.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2023, 04:48:34 PM »
I know you're claiming it, but you're not giving me any reason to accept your claim. You claim a god as well, and that's not been particularly effective.

O.
There are two atheist approaches to Christian History that taken by Bamber Gascoigne and Diarmid Mccullough who have researched it and that taken by people like Dawkins, Hitchins, etc. You looked influenced by the latter i.e. not so much a researched position more of an opinion shaped by an envisioned atheist utopia.