Author Topic: 'What Happens When We Die'  (Read 2609 times)

bluehillside Retd.

Re: 'What Happens When We Die'
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2023, 04:16:48 PM »
Sriram,

But that has nothing to do with the idea of consciousness surviving death.  If that is a reality and there is enough evidence for it, we have to accept it. We don't have a choice. We cannot possibly choose a different reality just because we don't understand or like certain situations.

That's right - if ever there was evidence for consciousness surviving death we'd have to accept it. Your problem though is that, so far at least, you've failed to provide that evidence. The same goes for leprechauns by the way for which I've also failed to provide evidence so our different speculations (consciousness surviving death and leprechauns) are epistemically equivalent.

The difference between us though is that you overreach by asserting your speculation to be a fact, whereas I don't.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 04:22:58 PM by bluehillside Retd. »
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2023, 05:18:07 PM »
Sriram,

That's right - if ever there was evidence for consciousness surviving death we'd have to accept it. Your problem though is that, so far at least, you've failed to provide that evidence. The same goes for leprechauns by the way

And the multiverse.

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2023, 05:46:39 PM »
And the multiverse.

Yet again for the hard-of-thinking: nobody is claiming any multiverse hypothesis has evidence. They are nothing more than conjectures. Their advantage over things like an afterlife is that they are extrapolated from actual, evidenced science and are not just baseless fairy stories. Each one is still more likely to be wrong than right. An afterlife is even less likely because it's totally baseless in either theory or evidence.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2023, 05:47:50 PM »
Vlad,

And the multiverse.

Wrong, but irrelevant in any case.
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2023, 07:49:26 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZDDByT0Vr0

An interesting TED talk about dying. No....its not about NDE's. Just about the process of dying.  15 minutes.

One more. 12 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg8WAv0YT9c

« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 08:17:32 AM by Sriram »