Author Topic: Pedestrian Auriol Grey jailed over Huntingdon cyclist death  (Read 1108 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

SqueakyVoice

• Life. Don't talk to me about life.
Re: Pedestrian Auriol Grey jailed over Huntingdon cyclist death
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2023, 06:42:32 PM »
Yes really. Look at the report and there are no cyclelanes on Huntingdon, and the only time I went, the cars seemed very busy (comfortably outside a rush hour).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 07:23:54 PM by SqueakyVoice »
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - D Adams

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2023, 08:43:08 PM »
Jail? Really?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-64824436
Her actions led to the death of another person. It could be construed as manslaughter and the jury - who had a better view of the facts than any of us - thought it was manslaughter.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2023, 09:46:49 PM »
Her actions led to the death of another person. It could be construed as manslaughter and the jury - who had a better view of the facts than any of us - thought it was manslaughter.

And does the jury, who do not carry out sentencing, know better than others as to whether having jail sentencing here is beneficial for society?

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2023, 12:59:10 AM »
And does the jury, who do not carry out sentencing, know better than others as to whether having jail sentencing here is beneficial for society?
Probably not, that's up to the judge though isn't it?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2023, 08:36:30 AM »
Probably not, that's up to the judge though isn't it?
Not really. There are minimum sentences for manslaughter dependent on what type it's deemed either 1 or 3 years.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2023, 10:39:53 AM »
But as you point out, the jury isn't responsible for sentencing so I'm struggling to understand why their view on sentencing is relevant.

The jury's role is to determine whether the individual is guilty or not guilty of the offence the person is charged with, and in doing that they will take account of both the evidence during the trial but also any specific direction from the judge. And in this case the judge was clear (although there appeared to be some confusion) that the pavement was a shared space and therefore presumably the jury considered their verdict on the basis that it was a shared space.

So in terms of both conviction and sentencing we are dealing with a situation where both the pedestrian and the cyclist had an equal right to use the pavement space and also, presumably, that each had a basic responsibility not to act in a manner that might cause harm to the other. It is pretty clear that the pedestrian deliberately acted in a manner that was likely to cause harm to the other and indeed by attempting to force her off the pavement and into the road act in a manner that resulted in her death.

I doubt the woman intended to cause the death of the cyclist, but she did, and that's why it is manslaughter not murder.

On sentencing I suspect a few other aspects would have played a part. Specifically that the woman failed to help, to render assistance after the event and indeed simply headed off on her way. Secondly that it appears that she was not truthful about what happened when questioned by the police and thirdly that apparently she expressed no remorse until she was convicted.

Looking at the video this is, in my opinion, a really shocking incident and give the clearly deliberate nature of the act on the part of the woman I have no issue with either the conviction nor the sentencing.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2023, 10:40:23 AM »
Not really. There are minimum sentences for manslaughter dependent on what type it's deemed either 1 or 3 years.
And the Judge can't suspend the sentence?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2023, 11:52:42 AM »
Seems similar in character to other road rage type incidents. And, especially considering shared paths or cyclists on footpaths, it is terribly easy for pedestrians to kill cyclists. 

From the video it does not look as if the pavement is wide enough to be suitable as a shared path - but many councils do designate unsuitable paths as shared.

The sentence does not seem unreasonable considering the behaviour involved.
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2023, 12:27:56 PM »

Why would he want to?  This woman is guilty of manslaughter. The reports I’ve read suggest showed no remorse and even left the scene before the emergency services arrived. It doesn’t seem to me that she deserved leniency.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2023, 12:27:59 PM »
Yes - the judge had the authority to suspend the sentence should he have consider that appropriate:

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/FINAL-Manslaughter-sentencing-leaflet-for-web1.pdf

This would presumably be based on specific mitigations, such as pleading guilty, cooperation with the investigation, clearly indicating remorse etc.

However in this incident it appears that the woman didn't give a damn - she rendered no assistance to the dying woman, headed off to do her shopping instead, failed to be truthful in questioning by the police and showed no remorse. In those circumstance why on earth should the judge have suspended the sentence. A custodial sentence would seem the appropriate outcome.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2023, 12:46:18 PM »
Why would he want to?  This woman is guilty of manslaughter. The reports I’ve read suggest showed no remorse and even left the scene before the emergency services arrived. It doesn’t seem to me that she deserved leniency.
I was just pointing out that jail was not the only possible outcome of the guilty finding.
Albert Einstein

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2023, 12:26:51 PM »
I was just pointing out that jail was not the only possible outcome of the guilty finding.

You are correct. However, given the subsequent actions by the defendant, I think* a jail sentence is appropriate.

*Just my opinion, obviously. I'm not a judge and I'm sure there are all sorts of things they have to take into account that I don't know about.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2023, 11:12:22 AM »
You are correct. However, given the subsequent actions by the defendant, I think* a jail sentence is appropriate.

*Just my opinion, obviously. I'm not a judge and I'm sure there are all sorts of things they have to take into account that I don't know about.
I'm not disagreeing with that summary.

Black Belt Barrister has an update on the law and this incident.

https://youtu.be/01vnW7gCYrw

(I find his videos interesting and informative, worth a look at some others if you have the time or inclination)
Albert Einstein

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2023, 02:34:53 PM »
Interesting article detailing the reasons for the guilty verdict and sentencing:

https://rozenberg.substack.com/p/why-grey-got-three-years

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2023, 03:05:22 PM »
I'm not disagreeing with that summary.

Black Belt Barrister has an update on the law and this incident.

https://youtu.be/01vnW7gCYrw

(I find his videos interesting and informative, worth a look at some others if you have the time or inclination)

I often watch his videos.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2024, 03:52:59 PM »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2024, 05:20:41 PM »
Manslaughter conviction overturned

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-68975335
I regard that as the wrong decision. She caused a death.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2024, 05:24:30 PM »
And yet in the absence of the base offence being established, it would seem correct in terms of the law.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2024, 05:24:48 PM »
I agree - will be interesting to see whether this is appealed further.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2024, 05:41:36 PM »
Moderator:

In that case bear with me while I lock this thread and move the posts about the 'other' case to the existing thread on cycling issues.

Done - once I've sorted out the posts I've removed I'll merge them into the previous cycling thread.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2024, 05:51:09 PM by Gordon »