Author Topic: The ethics of octopus farming  (Read 329 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Dicky Underpants

Re: The ethics of octopus farming
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 10:21:17 AM »
Excellent short article.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/everyday-philosophy-the-ethics-of-octopus-farming/
I see it mentions right at the beginning "Other Minds" by Peter Godfrey-Smith. This is an excellent, hands-on as well as scientifically rigorous study of the consciousness and life-styles of octopuses, which extends the investigation into the nature of consciousness itself.
By coincidence, I'm reading his next book, Metazoa, which continues his investigation from an evolutionary point of view, and also contains further observations about octopuses. Equally fascinating, but necessarily contains much speculation (difficult to ascertain the level of consciousness of fossils, unless they're Jacob Rees Mogg).
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 11:26:53 AM »
I see it mentions right at the beginning "Other Minds" by Peter Godfrey-Smith. This is an excellent, hands-on as well as scientifically rigorous study of the consciousness and life-styles of octopuses, which extends the investigation into the nature of consciousness itself.
By coincidence, I'm reading his next book, Metazoa, which continues his investigation from an evolutionary point of view, and also contains further observations about octopuses. Equally fascinating, but necessarily contains much speculation (difficult to ascertain the level of consciousness of fossils, unless they're Jacob Rees Mogg).

I will on that basis seek it out. I find it interesting that even on talking about octopuses as alien, it's impossible not to anthropomorphise their actions. To be honest, I read some comments on here such as Alan Burns on his internal experiences which seem alien to the confederacy of dunces  that make up what is 'my' experience. And that's with something that seems designed to express that.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 07:02:54 AM »
Those with access to Netflix should watch 'My Octopus Teacher' - a fascinating documentary about a diver and an octopus he encountered. Well worth a look.

Wiki article