Author Topic: Mysteries of AI  (Read 1467 times)

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
Mysteries of AI
« on: April 09, 2023, 06:33:33 AM »
Hi everyone,

Here is a BBC article about AI and the mysterious aspects of it.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20230405-why-ai-is-becoming-impossible-for-humans-to-understand

Many of the pioneers who began developing artificial neural networks weren't sure how they actually worked - and we're no more certain today.

As Cowan and Taylor stood and watched the machine work, they had no idea exactly how it was managing to perform this task. The answer to Taylor's mystery machine brain can be found somewhere in its "analogue neurons", in the associations made by its machine memory and, most importantly, in the fact that its automated functioning couldn't really be fully explained.

But the mystery gets deeper still. As the layers of neural networks have piled higher their complexity has grown. It has also led to the growth in what are referred to as "hidden layers" within these depths. The discussion of the optimum number of hidden layers in a neural network is ongoing. The media theorist Beatrice Fazi has written that "because of how a deep neural network operates, relying on hidden neural layers sandwiched between the first layer of neurons (the input layer) and the last layer (the output layer), deep-learning techniques are often opaque or illegible even to the programmers that originally set them up".

I'd add to this that the unknown and maybe even the unknowable have been pursued as a fundamental part of these systems from their earliest stages. There is a good chance that the greater the impact that artificial intelligence comes to have in our lives the less we will understand how or why.

When it comes to explainable and transparent AI, the story of neural networks tells us that we are likely to get further away from that objective in the future, rather than closer to it.

Frankenstein comes to mind.

Cheers.

Sriram

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
Re: Mysteries of AI
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 07:39:42 AM »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65452940

A man widely seen as the godfather of artificial intelligence (AI) has quit his job, warning about the growing dangers from developments in the field.

Geoffrey Hinton, aged 75, announced his resignation from Google in a statement to the New York Times, saying he now regretted his work.

He told the BBC some of the dangers of AI chatbots were "quite scary".

"Right now, they're not more intelligent than us, as far as I can tell. But I think they soon may be."

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2023, 10:03:12 AM »

A man widely seen as the godfather of artificial intelligence (AI) has quit his job, warning about the growing dangers from developments in the field.

Geoffrey Hinton, aged 75, announced his resignation from Google in a statement to the New York Times, saying he now regretted his work.

"Right now, they're not more intelligent than us, as far as I can tell. But I think they soon may be."

Don't worry, Karma will sort it out.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2023, 10:33:46 AM »

Yes of course.  I am sure there are karmic forces involved....

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2023, 10:54:25 AM »

x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2023, 01:23:03 PM »

Another 'godfather' speaks out

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-65760449

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2023, 03:45:00 PM »
Interesting article on the possible impact

https://archive.vn/MKO4W

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2023, 04:27:39 PM »
Sriram,

"Karmic forces" eh? Woooooooo!
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2023, 06:43:16 AM »

Karma means consequence.  When we act in certain ways the relevant outcomes and consequences automatically get fixed. We cannot avoid them.

Aren't we seeing the consequences of our acts.....?!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2023, 10:38:52 PM »

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2023, 07:35:12 AM »
Interesting article

https://thephilosophicalsalon.com/artificial-ignorance/

Kevin Roose. Roose later described the chatbot—which in the course of his conversation started calling itself Sydney—as “a moody, manic-depressive teenager who has been trapped, against its will, inside a second-rate search engine.”

Why would any chatbot do that if it is simply putting together words from the internet?!  I personally think that....if we are going to get any evidence of the 'ghost in the machine'...it is going to be through AI.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2023, 11:22:27 PM »

Kevin Roose. Roose later described the chatbot—which in the course of his conversation started calling itself Sydney—as “a moody, manic-depressive teenager who has been trapped, against its will, inside a second-rate search engine.”

Why would any chatbot do that if it is simply putting together words from the internet?!  I personally think that....if we are going to get any evidence of the 'ghost in the machine'...it is going to be through AI.
Not exactly sure what you are saying here. What do you think the term 'ghost in the machine' means? Or perhaps more clearly, what of the number of meanings of the phrase are you using here?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 11:39:52 PM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 01:39:38 AM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2023, 09:33:24 AM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2023, 09:23:15 AM »
A slightly different take.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2023, 03:44:21 PM »

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2023, 07:37:41 AM »

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20230719-the-blue-flash-louis-slotin-accident-manhattan-project-oppenheimer-atomic-bomb

Interesting article....but more relevant is this para..

A blinkered pursuit of the "sweet" can still be seen in science and technology today, such as in the burgeoning field of artificial intelligence. Even projects that appear benign may have calamitous potential. In 2022, researchers at a drug development company decided to test if its software could also create biochemical weapons. Within six hours, the AI had identified more than 40,000 compounds "predicted to be more toxic... than publicly known chemical warfare agents".

"The thought had never previously struck us," wrote the authors. "We were naive in thinking about the potential misuse of our trade… A non-human autonomous creator of a deadly chemical weapon is entirely feasible."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2023, 01:24:31 PM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2023, 11:30:26 AM »
AI stealing passwords

https://archive.vn/FhrKB