Author Topic: Life is probably a simulation!  (Read 914 times)

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
Life is probably a simulation!
« on: April 13, 2023, 11:50:38 AM »
Hi everyone,

A nice (8 minutes) video about how Life could be a simulation....

https://www.bbc.com/reel/playlist/existential-crisis?vpid=p0ff9hl8

Cheers.

Sriram

Outrider

Re: Life is probably a simulation!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2023, 12:24:35 PM »
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Sebastian Toe

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Outrider

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2023, 09:42:38 AM »
https://builtin.com/hardware/simulation-theory

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation_hypothesis

Neither of those does anything to counter the demonstrable incapacity of a computational system to be able to run the simulation required.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2023, 11:42:04 AM »
Seems unlikely

O.

From your link: "Therefore, according to Ringel and Kovrizhin, classical computers most certainly aren’t controlling our universe."

But we don't know what kind of "computers" might be used. So, similar to being agnostic, I don't believe we can ultimately say - especially if there may be any number of levels of simulation.

And, not sure what difference it makes whether we are in a simulation or not - I don't believe we are. Simulations are only created to acquire information - what would the simulation be investigating?

Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2023, 12:38:10 PM »
What does it matter? Our reality is our reality. It makes no difference if it is embedded in somebody else's computer, made by a god or just is. How would any of us behave differently if we knew reality was the memory of a computer rather than perturbations in quantum fields?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2023, 01:23:21 PM »
What does it matter? Our reality is our reality. It makes no difference if it is embedded in somebody else's computer, made by a god or just is. How would any of us behave differently if we knew reality was the memory of a computer rather than perturbations in quantum fields?

It could make a difference if our consciousness is actually mostly located in the next "level" up - then we might be able to get hold of a "red pill" and take on the machines directly rather than spend our lives vainly battling Agent Smith.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2023, 04:38:57 PM »

I think trying to understand if we are living in a simulation is a far more worthwhile quest and more relevant than trying to understand infinite bits of information about distant galaxies and exo planets and other such.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2023, 04:57:34 PM »

I think trying to understand if we are living in a simulation is a far more worthwhile quest and more relevant than trying to understand infinite bits of information about distant galaxies and exo planets and other such.
Why?

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2023, 08:27:15 PM »

I think trying to understand if we are living in a simulation is a far more worthwhile quest
...the quest for that understanding, would only be worthwhile if it is cost effective?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2023, 06:13:26 AM »
Why?

What do you mean 'why'?  Because the idea of life being a simulation is directly related to our life and death.  It provides a deeper meaning and purpose to life....similar to the idea of a God and other traditional philosophies. 

Searching for more and more information about distant galaxies and stuff like that, doesn't provide any direct meaning or purpose to our lives. It is just a waste of resources.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 07:24:34 AM by Sriram »

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2023, 11:34:14 AM »

What do you mean 'why'?  Because the idea of life being a simulation is directly related to our life and death.  It provides a deeper meaning and purpose to life....similar to the idea of a God and other traditional philosophies. 

Searching for more and more information about distant galaxies and stuff like that, doesn't provide any direct meaning or purpose to our lives. It is just a waste of resources.

How can being a simulation possibly add "a deeper meaning and purpose" to life?

Why bother to simulate distant galaxies if they have no purpose in the simulation? Maybe the simulation is about galaxies and you are just a consequence of a bug in the programming?

Why care about resources if the universe is only a simulation?

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2023, 01:38:49 PM »

Correction....simulated resources!
Albert Einstein

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2023, 08:32:06 PM »
It could make a difference if our consciousness is actually mostly located in the next "level" up - then we might be able to get hold of a "red pill" and take on the machines directly rather than spend our lives vainly battling Agent Smith.

That sounds an awful lot like Christianity.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2023, 05:17:38 AM »
Neither of those does anything to counter the demonstrable incapacity of a computational system to be able to run the simulation required.

O.

Talking of computational capabilities isn't meaningful when we don't even know who is creating our simulated world, how and why......

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2023, 08:20:37 AM »

Talking of computational capabilities isn't meaningful when we don't even know who is creating our simulated world, how and why......
....so how do you start to find that out?
Albert Einstein

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2023, 12:18:49 PM »
That sounds an awful lot like Christianity.

Yes, in The Matrix Neo is an obvious stand-in for Jesus. But, the metaphysics, a form of idealism, goes a long way further back.