Author Topic: Basic questions  (Read 1468 times)

Outrider

Re: Basic questions
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2023, 09:44:18 AM »
There is no such thing as 'hard evidence' for transcendental matters.  That should be obvious.

Then in what sense can there be said to be 'evidence'?

These are philosophical matters and 'soft evidence' in the form of personal experiences is all you will get.

An experience could be evidence of an event, but it could equally be evidence of a misunderstanding, a sensory error, an hallucination, and given that we typically have to deal with the memory of the experience rather than the experience itself it could be evidence of failures of cognition and mnemonics.

We need to elevate our thinking and see how these philosophical matters can be integrated with the 'hard evidence' based scientific ideas.

Why? Because when we investigate using these reliable tools they don't give you an answer that you like? No, what we need to do is accept what the evidence shows us under investigation until, and unless, new evidence arises which, when investigated, shows something new.

Whether that's because of different evidence or a different methodology doesn't matter, but to just reject the answer you don't like without offering an alternative doesn't wash.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Enki

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2023, 10:35:02 AM »
Well...I don't mean to be condescending ....but if you have to look at the stars you really do need to look up, not down.  Transcendental matters need an elevated mind not a microscopic mind.

If only you could elevate your mind to consider alternatives outside your pet obsessions, if only you could elevate your mind to consider the science instead of dabbling in bits and pieces of periphery science and pseudoscience, if only you could open your mind to make critical judgements, then you might just realise that it's probably you who has the microscopic vision. If only....
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2023, 10:36:50 AM »
Sriram,

Anything requiring a broader perspective will seem incoherent if seen through a microscopic perspective. One needs a zoom-out mind to understand such matters.

Why have you just ignored the point that, if you want to make assertions about investigating "such matters" you need to establish first that they exist at all?

https://tsriramrao.wordpress.com/2016/04/28/zoom-in-zoom-out/

Just linking to a blog that makes the same multiple errors you make here doesn't help you.
"Don't make me come down there."

God