Author Topic: The £85m prison with no bars on the windows  (Read 317 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Outrider

Re: The £85m prison with no bars on the windows
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2023, 03:44:41 PM »
This is good to see

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-65715387

In a previous work roe one of my more harrowing days was attending the mother and baby unit at a women's prison where they were 'celebrating' a 1 year old's birthday about a week after my youngest had celebrated theirs... there are no easy solutions to managing prisoners in those sorts of situations, but there are a number of examples of poor solutions already out there. Definitely good to see this.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2023, 11:05:44 AM »
I think bars on the windows are a Victorian anachronism. It must surely be possible to make windows that are secure without needing bars in this day and age.

Anyway, in my view, the most important goal for a prison should be to reform the prisoners so that they emerge as law abiding, safe and potentially productive members of society. This looks to me like a massive step in the right direction.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Outrider

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2023, 10:02:23 PM »
I think bars on the windows are a Victorian anachronism. It must surely be possible to make windows that are secure without needing bars in this day and age.

I didn't get around to a huge number of prisons, and the nature of the work that I did (related to PFI contracts) meant that I was predominantly visiting newer facilities, but even there the replacement for barred windows seemed to be windows that were so small you didn't need bars on them as no-one could possibly squeeze through the gap - not much of an improvement.

I seem to recall about 10 years a run of the oldest prisons being shut down - Reading and Dartmoor, I think - but I wouldn't put money against there still being a few prison wings from the Victorian era about.

Anyway, in my view, the most important goal for a prison should be to reform the prisoners so that they emerge as law abiding, safe and potentially productive members of society. This looks to me like a massive step in the right direction.

Unfortunately there's political mileage to be made in portraying prisons as soft and not intent enough on punishment still.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2023, 06:51:58 AM »

I agree....but reforming people is easier said than done. 

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2023, 10:29:40 AM »
I agree....but reforming people is easier said than done.
So we should look to methods that the evidence indicates are most effective, hence what has been done here.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 10:44:40 AM by Nearly Sane »