Author Topic: Gonorrhoea and syphilis diagnoses at record levels in England  (Read 1425 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Worrying, though comparative year on year figures when thete has been lock down in one of thd years should have a 'health warning'

https://news.sky.com/story/gonorrhoea-and-syphilis-diagnoses-in-england-hit-record-levels-latest-figures-show-12897307

SteveH

• God? She's black.
Re: Gonorrhoea and syphilis diagnoses at record levels in England
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 11:02:12 AM »
"I'm a gonner 'ere!", as the STD germ said as the disinfectant spray enveloped it.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2023, 11:04:29 AM »
Fun fact - syphilis was unknown in Eurasia and Africa until the 16th Century, when merchants and explorers brought it back from the Americas.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2023, 11:13:22 AM »
Fun fact - syphilis was unknown in Eurasia and Africa until the 16th Century, when merchants and explorers brought it back from the Americas.
Maybe, maybe not

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ajpa.23988

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2023, 07:03:14 PM »
A consequence of not following the maker's instructions in our increasingly promiscuous, Godless society.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2023, 07:49:21 PM »
AB,

A consequence of not following the maker's instructions in our increasingly promiscuous, Godless society.

Are you confining this idiocy to STIs or do you also think that, say, childhood leukaemia is some sort of divine retribution too?   
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Alan Burns

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2023, 10:56:58 PM »
AB,

Are you confining this idiocy to STIs or do you also think that, say, childhood leukaemia is some sort of divine retribution too?
In these cases, consequences are caused by the behaviour of the victims - they are not divine retribution.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2023, 11:24:32 PM »
In these cases, consequences are caused by the behaviour of the victims - they are not divine retribution.
So a  six month year old child died because they behaved badly? You worship hate.

Alan Burns

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2023, 10:25:09 AM »
So a  six month year old child died because they behaved badly? You worship hate.
I was referring to sexually transmitted diseases.
The susceptibility of the human species to STI's surely indicates that humans are of the type that are made to mate for life - STI's are a consequence of unnatural behaviour.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2023, 10:40:08 AM »
The susceptibility of the human species to STI's surely indicates that humans are of the type that are made to mate for life - STI's are a consequence of unnatural behaviour.
Yes, we are meant to mate for life, and most of us do and always have done: promiscuity is wrong and unnatural. However, that life-long mating can be two men or two women.

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2023, 10:48:47 AM »
More likely the other way round. We also gifted the native Americans with the joy of smallpox. I don't know if Alan Burns attributes the spread of smallpox to ungodly behaviour too.
I know you have the sense not to make such asinine correlations.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2023, 10:55:19 AM »
Diseases are moraline free. The consequences are simply the result of the way a particular disease is spread. Close human contact spreads any number of diseases. Cholera is water borne, Covid is spread by coughs and sneezes etc. Why single out a certain group of diseases and tie in a moral aspect? Cross-examine your God and ask him why he made them in the first place.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Outrider

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2023, 11:21:36 AM »

Solomon had seven-hundred wives and three-hundred concubines. David had a mere eight wives, and an undisclosed number of concubines. This 'one man one woman' notion of modern Christianity's is both unrealistic and inconsistent.

Notwithstanding, as suggested above, if one of these was expressly brought back to Europe by the CHRISTIAN conquerors who made sex-slaves of the women of the Americas after they'd been conquered, as is explicitly encouraged by the Bible then this didn't come about by Godlessness, but rather the exact opposite.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Alan Burns

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2023, 11:53:36 AM »

Notwithstanding, as suggested above, if one of these was expressly brought back to Europe by the CHRISTIAN conquerors who made sex-slaves of the women of the Americas after they'd been conquered, as is explicitly encouraged by the Bible then this didn't come about by Godlessness, but rather the exact opposite.

How can you say such behaviour is encouraged by the Bible?
In the New Testament Jesus clearly states that a marriage is a union of one man and one woman.
A woman caught in the act of adultery was told to go and sin no more.
But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. Matt 5:28

Outrider

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2023, 11:56:18 AM »
How can you say such behaviour is encouraged by the Bible?
In the New Testament Jesus clearly states that a marriage is a union of one man and one woman.
A woman caught in the act of adultery was told to go and sin no more.
But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. Matt 5:28

The sequel, despite trying to drastically redefine the obnoxious protagonist/villain from the first book, doesn't nullify the first book, it doesn't retcon history like a Marvel comic.

O.

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Alan Burns

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2023, 12:32:52 PM »
The sequel, despite trying to drastically redefine the obnoxious protagonist/villain from the first book, doesn't nullify the first book, it doesn't retcon history like a Marvel comic.

O.
The ten commandments did not encourage promiscuity.
Neither did any of the prophets from the OT.
Jesus did not nullify or drastically redefine God's laws - He clarified them.
And from your previous post you explicitly accused Christians of being encouraged to use sex slaves.
By definition, Christians should be followers of Christ's teaching, so I do not see how you could say they were encouraged to do this.

Outrider

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2023, 01:13:54 PM »
The ten commandments did not encourage promiscuity.

And what's your definition of promiscuity? Is 700 wives and 300 concubines not promiscuity, but having two consecutive monogamous sexual relationships before you get married promiscuity?

Neither did any of the prophets from the OT.

They just practiced it, and then got cited later as examplars of human behaviour.

Jesus did not nullify or drastically redefine God's laws - He clarified them.

The editors who selected and adjusted the works now collected in the New Testament (and possibly their original authors, too) tried to redefine god from a spiteful, violent, genocidal, sex-obsessed despot into a nurturing, supportive, sex-obsessed gaslighter (with a thinly-veiled mafia threat).

And from your previous post you explicitly accused Christians of being encouraged to use sex slaves. By definition, Christians should be followers of Christ's teaching, so I do not see how you could say they were encouraged to do this.

Gods rules for his chosen people - are you not his chosen people? Or are you suggesting that Christians are fine with Jews doing it, but they're not allowed to...? Either of those is an acceptance that it's sometimes acceptable, which I'd argue civilised people would disagree with.

O.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2023, 01:33:55 PM »

My observation is that infidelity seems to be pretty natural. Not desirable, but certainly natural.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2023, 02:30:17 PM »
More likely the other way round. We also gifted the native Americans with the joy of smallpox. I don't know if Alan Burns attributes the spread of smallpox to ungodly behaviour too.
I know you have the sense not to make such asinine correlations.
Syphilis is what they gave us in return for us givingt them smallpox (maybe, as NS pointed out).

Alan Burns

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2023, 02:44:25 PM »
Gods rules for his chosen people - are you not his chosen people? Or are you suggesting that Christians are fine with Jews doing it, but they're not allowed to...? Either of those is an acceptance that it's sometimes acceptable, which I'd argue civilised people would disagree with.

We are all sinners.
That does not mean that we condone sin.
The call to repent for our sins is a common theme throughout the Bible.

Repent and believe the good news! Mark 1:15

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2023, 02:46:39 PM »
We are all sinners.

You just celebrate children dying on pain of leukeamia. You worship your god who made that happen

Outrider

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2023, 02:52:21 PM »
We are all sinners.

Speak for yourself. Making up a pseudo-moral points system to avoid having to actually justify any of the arbitrary 'moral' prohibitions and proscriptions doesn't wash here.

Except when it's god that does it, right? Thou shalt not murder?

If I'm called to repent for being human, by the being that allegedly made me human, I think I have good case for suggesting the system's rigged.

"Hit me with your rhythm stick."

O.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2023, 07:15:17 PM »

So you just have to look at a woman lustfully to catch an STI. Who knew?
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2023, 07:34:36 AM »
Just mind where y’all put Hector ya hear?

SqueakyVoice

• Life. Don't talk to me about life.
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2023, 12:34:14 PM »
Springwatch was on a couple of days ago (Thursday?); they showed  a clip of a female butterfly copulating with a male butterfly,  then there were hundreds  of males b'flies swarmed around them trying to impregnate her as well.

I don't  think anyone could describe butterflies as doing something outside God's will, or unnatural.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - D Adams