Author Topic: Pope Francis, 86, to have abdominal surgery  (Read 1000 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Pope Francis, 86, to have abdominal surgery
« on: June 07, 2023, 02:30:59 PM »

Dear dog, he's 86. Let the poor man retire like any normal institution (note the US presidency is excluded)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65821047

ProfessorDavey

Re: Pope Francis, 86, to have abdominal surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 05:50:44 PM »
Dear dog, he's 86. Let the poor man retire like any normal institution (note the US presidency is excluded)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65821047
It's not as if there isn't a precedent - I get that it would have been hard for the previous pope to make the decision to retire as no pope had done it for ever (well actually since 1415). But now that the precedence has been set, surely it must be straightforward for him to say 'I'm too old, time for a new guy'.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 07:29:41 PM »
It's not as if there isn't a precedent - I get that it would have been hard for the previous pope to make the decision to retire as no pope had done it for ever (well actually since 1415). But now that the precedence has been set, surely it must be straightforward for him to say 'I'm too old, time for a new guy'.
To think, An American pontiff could have a career as Pope , retire and stand for the presidency.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 08:09:52 PM »
To think, An American pontiff could have a career as Pope , retire and stand for the presidency.
See OP

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2023, 09:12:32 PM »
Boris Johnson is qualified to stand for the Presidency.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2023, 12:58:06 PM »
Not sure the RCC would countenance this (I know we are talking theoretically, as I think the RCC do not allow any of their ordained clergy from holding any political office, on the basis that they should only have allegiance to the Holy See.

This is why senior RCC cardinals, archbishops etc have never accepted peerages even once they'd left office as they remain RCC ordained priests.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2023, 01:28:54 PM »
Boris Johnson is qualified to stand for the Presidency.

Afraid not. He has doesn't have the residency requirement (fourteen years resident in the USA).

Also, he's not an American citizen.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2023, 09:33:36 AM »
Afraid not. He has doesn't have the residency requirement (fourteen years resident in the USA).

Also, he's not an American citizen.
I think he had dual British and American citizenship.
{edit} Apparently, he renounced his American citizenship in 2017, so President Johnson will not be inflicted on the world.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 09:37:46 AM by SteveH »
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2023, 09:34:19 AM »
Abdominus vobiscum.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2023, 06:52:41 PM »
The papacy is a branch of showbiz, and showbiz people never retire.