Author Topic: Drug deaths in Scotland up with latest figures the worst in almost two years  (Read 242 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
298 deaths which is 13 more than in the same period last year.

These numbers are quite small. The increase may not be statistically significant.

For example, if you look at historical data

https://www.gov.scot/publications/suspected-drug-deaths-scotland-october-december-2022/pages/3/

between Q1 2021 and Q3 2022, drug deaths were on a downward trend. It could be that the last two quarters are anomalies. If next quarter still shows a rising trend, I'd be worried, but not otherwise - at least no more so than is appropriate with nearly 100 people dying from drug use every month.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
298 deaths which is 13 more than in the same period last year.

These numbers are quite small. The increase may not be statistically significant.

For example, if you look at historical data

https://www.gov.scot/publications/suspected-drug-deaths-scotland-october-december-2022/pages/3/

between Q1 2021 and Q3 2022, drug deaths were on a downward trend. It could be that the last two quarters are anomalies. If next quarter still shows a rising trend, I'd be worried, but not otherwise - at least no more so than is appropriate with nearly 100 people dying from drug use every month.
Good point. Though to emphasise your last comment, it's in a situation where the drug deaths are at a high in comparison to the rest of the UK and Europe. Some of which might be attributable to different recording mechanisms but not all.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Good point. Though to emphasise your last comment, it's in a situation where the drug deaths are at a high in comparison to the rest of the UK and Europe. Some of which might be attributable to different recording mechanisms but not all.

You are right. The rate is nearly twice as high, which I find fairly surprising. I wonder if anybody has done any research into the causes.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
You are right. The rate is nearly twice as high, which I find fairly surprising. I wonder if anybody has done any research into the causes.
There has been some research, but it's a hard area to do it in. I fear that currently it's become politicised. The comment in the OP about taking our eyes off the ball relates to this

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1422619/scottish-elections-stv-debate-nicola-sturgeon-snp-scotland-drug-crisis-vn

« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 11:23:35 AM by Nearly Sane »