Author Topic: Using Google search engine to get an exact phrase or sentence  (Read 461 times)

Spud

When I first started using the internet, I used to be able to search for an exact phrase or sentence, but now I can no longer do this; instead, it gives results relating to what it thinks I want to know about.
Is there any way I can search for an exact phrase or sentence?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 09:43:54 AM by Spud »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Using Google search engine
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2023, 09:08:54 AM »
When I first started using the internet, I used to be able to search for an exact phrase or sentence, but now I can no longer do this; instead, it gives results relating to what it thinks I want to know about.
Is there any way I can search for an exact phrase or sentence?
On the menu options on bottom of the Google screen go to settings, click on advanced search, and you get the option
« Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 09:16:53 AM by Nearly Sane »

Spud

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2023, 09:23:54 AM »
On the menu options on bottom of the Google screen go to settings, click on advanced search, and you get the option
Thanks very much, will give that a try.

Spud

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2023, 09:43:08 AM »
I didn't manage to get an exact phrase search using settings, but, ironically, when I googled, lots of people had the same question. Someone posted that the way to do it is to put the phrase in quotation marks. I've tried this once with an entire sentence and Google gave me at least one other context for the sentence.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2023, 09:51:59 AM »
I didn't manage to get an exact phrase search using settings, but, ironically, when I googled, lots of people had the same question. Someone posted that the way to do it is to put the phrase in quotation marks. I've tried this once with an entire sentence and Google gave me at least one other context for the sentence.
Quotation marks worked originally I think but they haven't done in at least 10 years.

You are looking for the Advanced Search Option in the menu, once you find it click on it and you should get a screen like the one below where you will see the option of exact phrase match.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2023, 09:53:45 AM »
Here's a link to the Advanced Search option

https://www.google.com/advanced_search

Spud

Re: Using Google search engine to get an exact phrase or sentence
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2023, 01:44:02 PM »
Thanks - I see I need to go to google.com to get the advanced search option.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Using Google search engine to get an exact phrase or sentence
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2023, 01:49:37 PM »
Thanks - I see I need to go to google.com to get the advanced search option.
Nope, that just happened to be the link I used. Here it is on uk

https://www.google.co.uk/advanced_search?hl=en-GB&fg=1