Author Topic: Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy  (Read 35866 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Re: Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2023, 12:27:24 PM »
That people believe doesn't equate, with the depiction of god, to any sort of reliable conclusion that therefore a god is real
whose depiction though? It can be seen that certain atheists have not only caricatured Christianity and other religions but have presented their ignorance of religion as a virtue. This is not condusive to forming an accurate depiction.

Any way this seems to say If God we’re all loving he would want everybody to become a believer.
That's a part of it, yes. The presumption is (and, indeed, the explicit message from many religious believers is) that believing in a god, accepting the premises of the religion makes you a better person. Some version of an eternal reward is normally involved, which is depicted as to the benefit of the believer, which an all-loving god would be presumed to want on the believers behalf. Therefore, if an all-loving god is creating reality, why is it creating a reality in which people might not believe and might be denied this; it's a variant of the problem of evil idea, I guess, and is probably best countered by the idea of free will and that the reward is only worthwhile if it's somehow 'earned' or 'deserved'.
But again the engagement to discuss what a religious person means by becoming a better person has been lacking leaving us with Caricature, partly evidenced by your cliché here of ‘’heavenly reward’’. What are you thinking here? I’m thinking of God as the reward but I’m not sure that’s how you understand it. Religious people as mercenaries is an avowedly atheist position IMV

Is that an atheist argument?

I don't think it stands up well on its own, I've seen it used as a counterpoint to the idea of free will - the idea that god had already, in giving us free will, decided that some would be lost which doesn't jibe with the idea of omnibenevolence.
That would be your idea of omnibenevolence or some official definition of omnibenevolence? The problem is of course whose idea of benevolence should we adopt? And that comes down to choice. Even on a human level the idea of a not very benevolent person mentoring a more benevolent person has obvious drawbacks and that is before we consider the non measureability of benevolence.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 12:30:59 PM by Walt Zingmatilder »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2023, 12:30:14 PM »
Just dead for two days is a modern secular conception of the matter

No it isn't. It's in the Bible. Jesus died on the day before the Sabbath and he was "documented" as not dead on the day after the Sabbath.
It’s the word ‘just’ that is the problem here designed as it is to (for unknown reasons)minimise the death of the second person of the trinity and a human person….why the disdain?
with the spiritual and scriptural context deliberately ignored.
Do tell us what that is.
This person who dies is God.
Also just dead for two days is often code for ‘’Not really dead’’
Yes he is humanly dead and humanly he experiences spiritually alienation from the father because of the weight of the consequences of sin.
Secular thinking though thinks of death as a ‘’switching off’’. Not in the New Testament.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2023, 12:43:07 PM »
If the Home Secretary commutes a sentence or pardons a criminal, he doesn't have to do the time.
The home secretary is merely the agent of the second victim in all crimes according to our law, namely the crown. He doesn't do the time but notionally His majesty loses his 'pleasure' in terms of time of incarceration not meted out.

Your analogy I feel only serves to remind us that more than just the immediate victim has been offended against legally it is society aka the state, the crown, the people etc whatever this second entity is called. Of course  the crown is really just the representative of a higher entity referred to as God and cosmically God is always an entity offended against by sin.

Outrider

« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2023, 01:20:28 PM »
whose depiction though?

Any of them. The existence of believers is not a reliable indicator of what they believe in.

It can be seen that certain atheists have not only caricatured Christianity and other religions but have presented their ignorance of religion as a virtue.

Sometimes, yes. The child who points out the naked emperor is to be lauded, not criticised.

This is not condusive to forming an accurate depiction.

On the contrary, pointing out the various self-contradictions, the equally meritless claims of various sects and creeds and cults, the obvious nonsense of some of the claims about reality and the stark differences between what we actually see and what we'd expect to see if any of it were true is the key to forming an accurate depiction.

But again the engagement to discuss what a religious person means by becoming a better person has been lacking leaving us with Caricature, partly evidenced by your cliché here of ‘’heavenly reward’’.

Are you of the opinion that the majority of religious believers do not think there is some sort of spiritual benefit to 'compliant' behaviour with the particular edicts of their creed? Hindus, Buddhists and Sikhs do not see ascension through reincarnation to Nirvana? Christians and Muslims do not see some notion of heaven for the chosen? That's not a caricature, that's one of the cornerpins of the con-job that is religion - "you get a reward, but I can't show it to you just yet, you'll have to trust me on this".

What are you thinking here? I’m thinking of God as the reward but I’m not sure that’s how you understand it. Religious people as mercenaries is an avowedly atheist position IMV

'God as the reward'? What does that even mean? You've already got a god, how is that a reward? Or do you mean entering the presence of god - surely that's the afterlife? You might do good deeds purely for their own benefit, and not regard the potential for divine reward (or you might be a Calvinist and think that the two are unrelated) but you are not the only religious person, and the majority of the believers I've met are of the opinion that religion is, amongst other things, instruction on how to access that post-death reward scheme.

That would be your idea of omnibenevolence or some official definition of omnibenevolence?

All-loving, but some get a reward and some don't, because of a trait that wasn't asked for? Or, if you're a Calvinist, just because. Playing favourites, or setting the game up so that some lose is not all-loving, regardless of how you define it.

The problem is of course whose idea of benevolence should we adopt?

It's not a problem at all. Whether it's the Hindu/Buddhist 'oneness with the universe' or a Christian 'entering the presence of god' the point is that some are offered and some are denied for things that they have no direct control over - the game is rigged, and that's not the act of any sort of universal benevolence. If there were two rewards, suited to the person you are, that would be an alternative, but that's not what's being suggested.

And that comes down to choice.

Not really. According to the Christian mythos God had already tried that with the angels and saw how that went, but went back and tried it again - that's a problem with the 'all-knowing' bit.

Even on a human level the idea of a not very benevolent person mentoring a more benevolent person has obvious drawbacks and that is before we consider the non measureability of benevolence.

So you agree that the self-avowedly jealous, violent, misogynistic god who sets rules for crops and haircuts but accepts slavery and sexual servitude should probably not be put in charge of who gets the reward? Or am I misreading that?

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2023, 07:02:06 PM »
It’s the word ‘just’ that is the problem here designed as it is to (for unknown reasons)minimise the death of the second person of the trinity and a human person….why the disdain?
Because, if he was only dead for two days, he wasn't really dead and he didn't really pay the price.

If I owe you a tenner and I pay you but then, two days later I pick your pocket and take the tenner back, I haven't really paid you, have I?

The problem here is that it's all pretty straight forward, but you have imbued the story with mystical claptrap so you can avoid seeing the truth.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2023, 07:05:01 PM »
The home secretary is merely the agent of the second victim in all crimes according to our law, namely the crown. He doesn't do the time but notionally His majesty loses his 'pleasure' in terms of time of incarceration not meted out.

But His Majesty doesn't do the time either. He's just a bit irritated that the convict isn't going to bed his guest for a while.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Spud

« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2023, 09:28:09 AM »
You're saying he didn't die. Psalm 16:10 is not a prophecy. Read it in context.Yeah, the author of Acts seems to have made the same mistake as you.
It was fulfilled partially for David himself. But then he did die. Then it was fulfilled to a greater extent in Christ's resurrection. It will be fulfilled to it's greatest extent for David himself at Christ's second coming. See Keil & Delitzsch on Psalm 16:10.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2023, 10:42:00 AM »
It was fulfilled partially for David himself. But then he did die. Then it was fulfilled to a greater extent in Christ's resurrection. It will be fulfilled to it's greatest extent for David himself at Christ's second coming. See Keil & Delitzsch on Psalm 16:10.

What a load of tosh. It's not a prophecy. And if it were, you seem to be confused as to who it is about.

Spud

« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2023, 12:27:04 PM »
What a load of tosh. It's not a prophecy. And if it were, you seem to be confused as to who it is about.
Do you think Acts 2:30 might explain how David was speaking prophetically? It is to do with God's promise to establish David's kingdom for ever. That would require a miraculous intervention; Peter says David understood this, which is why his words couldn't be interpreted as about him only.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2023, 12:37:33 PM »
Do you think Acts 2:30 might explain how David was speaking prophetically?
No I think it is back projecting Christian interpretations onto writing that has nothing to do with Christianity.

Spud

« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2023, 04:14:27 PM »
No I think it is back projecting Christian interpretations onto writing that has nothing to do with Christianity.
It might look like that. But if it really did happen, that Jesus rose again, then would we be correct in saying the psalm had been fulfilled? Likewise, would his literal ascension into heaven fulfill psalm 110:1 (sit at my right hand) if it really happened?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 05:37:30 PM by Spud »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2023, 05:40:32 PM »
It might look like that. But if it really did happen, that Jesus rose again

But that didn't happen. And even if it did, it doesn't mean that some verse from a book written several hundred years before is a prophecy of it.

And what does it actually say?

Quote from: NRSB
For you do not give me up to Sheol, or let your faithful one see the Pit.

It's not a claim that Jesus will die and be raised. It's actually giving thanks that God will not let the narrator go to hell at all. That's all. There's nothing in the psalm to suggest that this is meant to be a prophecy. There's definitely no hint of anybody dying and being resurrected.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2023, 12:06:39 PM »
from: Walt Zingmatilder on September 19, 2023, 12:20:55 PM
Should we accept  that theophobes are uniquely theists any more than we should accept that only Homosexuals are homophobic…….,I’m not so sure.

Yes, we should. We aren't afraid of things that don't exist, so if you're afraid of gods then you believe in gods. Homosexuals are attracted to the same gender, they don't propose that the opposite gender doesn't exist. In order to fear a god you have to accept the proposition of that god, and are therefore a theist.
Hmmmm There might be a hint of special pleading here since Homophobia as discussed on this forum frequently fits the description of a distaste of homosexuality yet here you are suggesting that theophobia is not a distaste for God. And that’s apart from your suggestion that God does not exist (positive assertion…please justify). The agnostic atheist does not know that God does not exist and so an actual ‘fear’ of God cannot be impossible for him and a distaste for Gods cannot be denied.
Taste is nothing to do with any intellectual process rationalising a proposition, neither is irrational fear. Goddodging is irrational fear, distaste ‘’behaviour’’. If it helps I have met atheist quite happy to believe there are universes where logic does not apply, Cases of unknown unknowns that operate in either/or situations, infinite regresses, circular heirarchies but cannot accept that contingency ultimately needs a necessity. In other words irrational straw clutching to avoid even entertaining the idea of God. 

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2023, 12:15:54 PM »
But His Majesty doesn't do the time either. He's just a bit irritated that the convict isn't going to bed his guest for a while.
So there is some cost. However, If it was your nearest and dearests murderer that the state acquitted you would incur, in some way, the cost of that IMO.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2023, 12:23:04 PM »
Because, if he was only dead for two days, he wasn't really dead and he didn't really pay the price.
If you are dead and cannot be revived by any natural or physical means then you are dead. You are right that your death or mine can save any from sin or as you put it pay the price.
If I owe you a tenner and I pay you but then, two days later I pick your pocket and take the tenner back, I haven't really paid you, have I?
The issue here is who owes who? As the offender we are owed nothing and owe whatever it is we have lost, taken, damaged or destroyed. If that isn't in our means to repay we need a guarantor. If we reject the guarantor...........

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2023, 12:36:16 PM »
So there is some cost. However, If it was your nearest and dearests murderer that the state acquitted you would incur, in some way, the cost of that IMO.

Being a bit irritated is not the same as having to serve a life sentence.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2023, 12:46:33 PM »
If you are dead and cannot be revived by any natural or physical means then you are dead.
Jesus was revived (according to the Bible). He didn't stay dead and if the wages of sin are death, he didn't pay the price.

The issue here is who owes who? As the offender we are owed nothing and owe whatever it is we have lost, taken, damaged or destroyed. If that isn't in our means to repay we need a guarantor. If we reject the guarantor...........

Let's say I owe you £10 and my friend pays it for me, but then he steals it back off you two days later, have you been paid? No.

Just accept that this whole Christian thing about paying the price doesn't make any sense.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2023, 12:48:31 PM »
g. Atheistic Naturalism
The final family of inductive arguments we will consider involves drawing a positive atheistic conclusion from broad, naturalized grounds.  See the article on Naturalism for background about the position and relevant arguments.  Comments here will be confined to naturalism as it relates to atheism.

Methodological naturalism can be understood as the view that the best or the only way to acquire knowledge within science is by adopting the assumption that all physical phenomena have physical causes.  This presumption by itself does not commit one to the view that only physical entities and causes exist, or that all knowledge must be acquired through scientific methods.  Methodological naturalism, therefore, is typically not seen as being in direct conflict with theism or having any particular implications for the existence or non-existence of God.

Ontological naturalism, however, is usually seen as taking a stronger view about the existence of God.  Ontological naturalism is the additional view that all and only physical entities and causes exist.

Taken From Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy.

Justification for why Ontological Naturalism is ''correct''....to follow.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2023, 02:17:58 PM »
Jesus was revived (according to the Bible). He didn't stay dead and if the wages of sin are death, he didn't pay the price.

Let's say I owe you £10 and my friend pays it for me, but then he steals it back off you two days later, have you been paid? No.

Just accept that this whole Christian thing about paying the price doesn't make any sense.
You've just misunderstood what christianity is saying.
You owe God . God pays what you owe, How can he then steal from himself? He's taken the cost on himself. Since he's paid what you owe.

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2023, 02:25:47 PM »
You owe God . God pays what you owe, How can he then steal from himself? He's taken the cost on himself. Since he's paid what you owe.

It seems to be you who is struggling to understand. According to the insane injustice of your god, we are supposed to deserve death (just for being how god made us) but Jesus didn't properly die, because death is permanent and he didn't stay dead. Hence, he didn't take our punishment at all (even if that wasn't another insanely unjust idea).

The whole idea of Jesus taking our punishment is insane and unjust anyway, but even if it wasn't, and even if the story is true, he didn't take our punishment at all.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2023, 02:06:03 PM »

But he didn't pay. Jesus didn't stay dead.

Outrider

« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2023, 02:40:07 PM »

Given the plethora of cults and sects of Christianity, so have the majority of the Christians.

You owe God.

For what? If you accept the concept of a god, I didn't exist before God decided to put me on Earth with a potentially eternal punishment for failing to comply with poorly-communicated and oftentimes apparently arbitrary rules which are so important they've been changed multiple times. I don't owe god anything more than basic human decency.

God pays what you owe.

By blood sacrifice? If God can pay it himself, why was he holding the 'debt' over me?

How can he then steal from himself?

The debt was presumed or made up, the payment was presumed or made up, why not add Schrodinger's Theft to the mix?

He's taken the cost on himself.

The cost that he arbitrarily decided had to be paid for his actions for which he was holding us responsible? If that's the case... that sounds fair.

Since he's paid what you owe.

Then the slate's clean, we can all walk away and not have to worry about this nonsense any more?

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Spud

« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2023, 09:24:36 AM »
But that didn't happen. And even if it did, it doesn't mean that some verse from a book written several hundred years before is a prophecy of it.
so it would just be a coincidence?

And what does it actually say?

It's not a claim that Jesus will die and be raised. It's actually giving thanks that God will not let the narrator go to hell at all. That's all. There's nothing in the psalm to suggest that this is meant to be a prophecy. There's definitely no hint of anybody dying and being resurrected.
it seems to encompass physical death too. The question is, did David  somehow conclude that the fulfilment of the promise would necessitate one of his descendants being on the throne forever (rather than an uninterrupted line of male heirs faithful to the covenant, forever) so that Peter would be right in saying that David saw what was ahead and spoke of the resurrection of the Christ?
Calvin thinks, "First, he [David] hath respect unto Christ; after that he turneth his eyes toward himself, and others the faithful"
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 09:30:10 AM by Spud »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2023, 01:47:26 PM »
so it would just be a coincidence?
No it's an example of back projection. It's like claiming Nostradamus predicted 9/11 because some verse he wrote sounds vaguely like it might fit.

Spud

« Reply #99 on: October 01, 2023, 06:39:58 PM »
No it's an example of back projection. It's like claiming Nostradamus predicted 9/11 because some verse he wrote sounds vaguely like it might fit.

It's the fact that it fits perfectly rather than vaguely that made me suggest it would be a coincidence. The only difference is that David is speaking figuratively (of being delivered from death). You said earlier,

There's nothing in the psalm to suggest that this is meant to be a prophecy. There's definitely no hint of anybody dying and being resurrected.

Psalm 30:3 uses the words 'soul', 'Sheol' and 'pit' together in the same way as in 16:10. In 30:3, David has figuratively died and been resurrected:

"O Lord, you have brought up my soul from Sheol;
you restored me to life from among those who go down to the pit."

So actually, it is about somebody dying and being resurrected. The only step needed to connect it with Jesus is that Jesus was God's Holy One in the literal sense (without sin), and so the rest of the verse, about death and resurrection, applies to him in the literal sense too.